Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:37:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I buy bitcoins?  (Read 5271 times)
thegent1 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 07, 2017, 07:32:31 PM

Hi guys,

So i need to buy $30 worth of bitcoins as I need to purchase something from a website that does not accept debit cards.
I've been browsing the internet for about a week, but I still don't get the fundaments of the bitcoin world - yes I am a bit of a technology dinosaur!

I have sent my details to coinsbank.com but I am waiting for their verification.

My questions are:

1) Can you use a visa debit to buy bitcoins online? If not from coinsbank, is there anywhere else?
2) Am I able to purchase only $30 worth of bitcoins?
3) How long do verification procedures typically last?

Thanks in advance for any replies  Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Myfe

Activity: 476
Merit: 255

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2017, 07:40:27 PM

Are you willing to link a bank account? Here's a link to Coinbase: https://www.coinbase.com/join/5198634ab2e8fc9c3a000024

Coinbase is greater for people new to Bitcoin. It's easy to buy or sell bitcoin, through a credit card (visa/mastercard) or linked bank account. It's based in the US, thus is subject to some laws and reputation, i.e., they can be trusted for your transactions and small savings. They have a GREAT mobile app and website.

You will be able to purchase just $30 worth. The transaction will take a few hours to a few days depending on whether you set up the Coinbase account with a credit card or a bank account (bank account takes longer). And the initial set up takes a bit more time, just to verify that your card/acct is your own.

PM me if you have more questions.

Coinster

Activity: 222
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 07, 2017, 07:44:57 PM

The easiest path is probably using Coinbase.com. They are the largest Bitcoin business. The verification can be done within minutes, but to use your debit card you must wait to verify two small deposits in your bank account. Here is the link:

https://support.coinbase.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2343234-how-do-i-buy-bitcoin-with-a-debit-card-in-the-us-

One thing to note is it's not recommended to use Coinbase for any transactions you would rather keep private (such as a gambling site). Coinbase is a regulated US money service business, which means they are required to monitor their users. For this reason many prefer to get bitcoins directly from peer-to-peer sites. The largest is LocalBitcoins.com. We've also just launched a site at https://trustedcointrades.com to make buying using bank accounts and personal checks easier.
thegent1 (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
March 07, 2017, 07:59:37 PM

Thanks so much for the reply guys, I was honestly expecting people to reply something along the lines of "do some research yourself!" etc etc haha
I have but I still hadn't a clue!

Ok so coinsbase seem a better website to accommodate my needs, as I only will need to use bitcoins when making this purchase which should be every few months or so.

Couple other questions:
1) I'm from the UK, will I still be able to buy from coinsbase?
2) Then I'll be able to use these bitcoins to make a purchase online with out a problem?

Thanks again guys
Wusolini
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

no need to carry heavy money bags anymore

View Profile
March 07, 2017, 08:43:25 PM

Thanks so much for the reply guys, I was honestly expecting people to reply something along the lines of "do some research yourself!" etc etc haha
I have but I still hadn't a clue!

Ok so coinsbase seem a better website to accommodate my needs, as I only will need to use bitcoins when making this purchase which should be every few months or so.

Couple other questions:
2) Then I'll be able to use these bitcoins to make a purchase online with out a problem?

Thanks again guys

1) I'm from the UK, will I still be able to buy from coinsbase? - Yes
2) Then I'll be able to use these bitcoins to make a purchase online with out a problem? - Yes, but you should avoid using coinbase for gambling ( they are closing accounts which deal with gambling sites ).

Myfe

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2017, 08:52:11 PM
Last edit: March 07, 2017, 09:02:27 PM by Myfe

Couple other questions:

Thanks again guys

2) Then I'll be able to use these bitcoins to make a purchase online with out a problem? - Yes, but you should avoid using coinbase for gambling ( they are closing accounts which deal with gambling sites ).

1) NO, Coinbase is not yet GBP compatible (they do accept the Euro though) - https://support.coinbase.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1963534-payment-methods-for-uk-customers

Another option that DOES deal in GBP - Circle. Here's a link: https://www.circle.com/invite/4E83M4

Currencies Circle accepts - https://support.circle.com/hc/en-us/articles/213560523--Currency-Offerings-

Circle is also based in the US, but does have more flexibility with currency choice and has a great mobile app, website, etc. Actually, one of my friend's knows one of Circle's founders.

Oooh, and Circle is advertising "no fees"....

Wusolini
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

no need to carry heavy money bags anymore

View Profile
March 07, 2017, 09:20:41 PM

Couple other questions:

Thanks again guys

1) NO, Coinbase is not yet GBP compatible (they do accept the Euro though) - https://support.coinbase.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1963534-payment-methods-for-uk-customers

Another option that DOES deal in GBP - Circle. Here's a link: https://www.circle.com/invite/4E83M4

Currencies Circle accepts - https://support.circle.com/hc/en-us/articles/213560523--Currency-Offerings-

Circle is also based in the US, but does have more flexibility with currency choice and has a great mobile app, website, etc. Actually, one of my friend's knows one of Circle's founders.

So the British card holder cannot make payments in other currency than GBP ? Shocked   That's interesting.

I just wonder why coinbase charges the 3.99% fee for UK Credit / Debit Card Buys?
see  https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/2109597-buy-sell-bank-transfer-fees (roll down to UK)

Myfe

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2017, 10:04:26 PM

So the British card holder cannot make payments in other currency than GBP ? Shocked   That's interesting.

I just wonder why coinbase charges the 3.99% fee for UK Credit / Debit Card Buys?
see  https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/2109597-buy-sell-bank-transfer-fees (roll down to UK)

No, the British card holder can make transactions, but the funds aren't held in GBP, they'll be held in EUR. So there's a transaction fee and likely a currency exchange fee.

To the OP, go to Circle...see the link I shared!

Barbarian

Activity: 728
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 08, 2017, 02:46:15 AM

Hi guys,

So i need to buy $30 worth of bitcoins as I need to purchase something from a website that does not accept debit cards.
I've been browsing the internet for about a week, but I still don't get the fundaments of the bitcoin world - yes I am a bit of a technology dinosaur!

I have sent my details to coinsbank.com but I am waiting for their verification.

My questions are:

1) Can you use a visa debit to buy bitcoins online? If not from coinsbank, is there anywhere else?

Thanks in advance for any replies  Smiley

Just use localbitcoins someone near you it is bound to have some bitcoins he wants to get rid of, you can buy as much as you want and there are many payments options.
Myfe

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2017, 05:05:11 AM

Just use localbitcoins someone near you it is bound to have some bitcoins he wants to get rid of, you can buy as much as you want and there are many payments options.

Ok, this is definitely an option, but know the risks before you set up a meet and greet to buy bitcoins from someone who lives near you.

First, people have gotten robbed, even killed trying to do this. Now, those scenarios involve larger sums worth stealing but it's tough to meet a stranger to exchange cash. It's real easy to for someone to show up with a gun, well not in the UK as much...a knife I suppose. But from what I see on the news UK criminals know how use a knife!

Second (and perhaps most important), make sure you're getting a fair exchange rate. Don't pay a premium for the perceived convenience of "local bitcoin". Pull out your phone in the parking lot, where ever you meet someone, and look up the list price at that moment. Use Coindesk as a neutral quote.

Godspeed, friend!

Dmitry.Vastov

Activity: 840
Merit: 520

View Profile
March 08, 2017, 05:57:10 AM

Yes you can buy bitcoin with your visa. Try localbitcoins.com or payza. These two are accepting payment thru visa afaik. Dont know the others. But most of exchanges are accepting visa. And yes you are able to buy with $30 worth of bitcoin. The amount of bitcoin will send to you within 24 hours maximum. If not, contact their support.
xIIImaL
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 08, 2017, 07:46:08 AM

Yes you can buy bitcoin with your visa. Try localbitcoins.com or payza. These two are accepting payment thru visa afaik. Dont know the others. But most of exchanges are accepting visa. And yes you are able to buy with $30 worth of bitcoin. The amount of bitcoin will send to you within 24 hours maximum. If not, contact their support.
visa is been accepted by most of the traders in Localbitcoins. Check the best around your location and make the payment according and receive bitcoins from them. You can use other online money wallet as well it's all according to the trader's preferences. No need to worry about the payment of yours btc will be under automated escrow when you open the trade. Try coinbase or yobit if you unable to find the best price here.
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 08, 2017, 08:33:02 AM

1) Probably yes, some will offer such services but not much, because of chargebacks and bitcoin is not reversible.
2) yes
3) depends on your exchange u using. On "normal" ones like coinbase or gemini or bitfinex u must verify yourself with ID's etc this takes time. But you could also trade on localbitcoins. There are minimum verification, all is based on reputation of ur trades. Try there, should be fastest.
xskl0

Activity: 378
Merit: 260

Bitcoin SV is Bitcoin

View Profile
March 08, 2017, 03:07:34 PM

Hi guys,

My questions are:

Thanks in advance for any replies  Smiley

Try Xapo will be easy and fast.

From Xapo:
1) yes
2) yes
3) is fast

BUY / SELL bitcoins  --->  https://bit2me.com/?r=ryOV8xZNb
Cryptock

Activity: 1792
Merit: 507

View Profile
March 09, 2017, 03:44:46 AM

Yes you can buy bitcoins using visa from: Virwox, localbitcoins,coinbase,xapo etc

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
███████████████████████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..
Cipa

Activity: 267
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 09, 2017, 01:09:02 PM

I see a lot of good suggestions here. It's not exactly easy buying BTC with a credit card. I didn't see anyone suggest https://purse.io/. I used it before and it's fairly simple and secure.

It works like this. People with BTC post their Amazon wishlists on the site. You can choose between offers ranging from tens to hundreds of dollars worth. After you order their item (you can do it dirrectly with your CC) and it gets delivered you get your coins released. It has a fee of around 15%, but it gets lower if you have a few confirmed transactions. It works for both US and UK Amazon.

SALTLending

Activity: 13

View Profile
March 09, 2017, 01:28:26 PM

Just use cash and someone from Local Bitcoins...
marcuslong
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 09, 2017, 04:29:59 PM

Some of website are accepting credit card but they want some documents or proof that you are really the holder of that card because they're implenting rules againts fraud because of dispute transaction or malicious activity that hackers do when they hacked credit card but if you have any other payment method like paypal you can exchange it to bitcoin easily go to exchange currency thread
Bitcoin_Mafia_Me

Activity: 560
Merit: 252

BitcoinerX.com - PM for Ad Info

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2017, 07:08:37 PM

I use Virwox to buy / sell BTC (I'm a small fish in a very big pond, though). It's a little convoluted how
they do it - USD > SLL > BTC - but it works. Their fees aren't *too* terrible and they decrease the more
you use their service.

I don't think they accept credit cards though unless it's via Skrill or something similar.

Cheers!

Cynthia

AntiTrump

Activity: 21

View Profile
March 10, 2017, 03:06:27 PM

You could also use the Gemini exchange.  That has much lower fees than coinbase.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: