Poll
Question: BTC or LTC? Discuss
BTC - 20 (25.3%)
LTC - 23 (29.1%)
Both - 36 (45.6%)
Total Voters: 79

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC or LTC?  (Read 2833 times)
palmcoins

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 02:17:20 AM

I prefer bitcoins cos at the moment are the most widely accepted. Litetcoin still has way to go... But that may change soon if MtGox starts trading them...
GoldSeal
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 02:20:41 AM

I mine one or other at different times based on whether one or the other converts better to USD at that time. Basiclaly, I calculate a USD/watt figure and I go with the one that pays better until that shifts the other way.

Moving to Puerto Rico...
Digicoiner

Activity: 310
Merit: 250

In Crypto I trust.

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 03:00:57 AM

LTC seems to usually have a higher profitability rating than BTC.  I'm mining LTC and plan to exchange them for BTC eventually.
btcgrrl69

Activity: 11

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 03:02:49 AM

Which do you prefer and why?

not enough market share for Litecoin to compete. maybe in a few years
cash4net

Activity: 12

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 03:09:38 AM

i dont think the other cryptocurrenices are going to take off, honestly
val1

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 03:25:31 AM

the currency that will succeed is the one than can integrate all others, since there are so many nowadays.
gregyoung14

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 04:26:07 AM

What are the challenges people face with Bitcoin mining that pushes them toward mining for Litecoin, like are the hardware requirements really that different?
thesnoo23

Activity: 56

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 07:53:41 AM

What are the challenges people face with Bitcoin mining that pushes them toward mining for Litecoin, like are the hardware requirements really that different?

The biggest issue with Bitcoin mining is that everyone is doing it, the network size is huge, and as a result, the difficulty is very high. That, in addition to the recent reward drop per block makes it harder to find a graphics card that can mine more bitcoins than you would have to spend on your power bill to keep it running. 

Litecoins, on the other hand, can still be easily mined with a lot of the lower end cards at a profit. Of course, if the price of Bitcoins goes up, it could be possible to profitably mine with cards that aren't viable now, but historically, Litecoins tend to follow Bitcoins as far as price changes, and so even if the price of bitcoins went up, it would probably still be more profitable to mine litecoins.
Zim05

Activity: 5

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 08:28:15 AM

Bitcoin is my choice. Any other cryptocur has to have significant changes to take the crown from btc.
Daegalus

Activity: 15

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 08:38:17 AM

Mining-wise, LTC seems to be easier to jump into now. Mining a single BTC takes forever. with LTC you get them what seems sooner (even if it turns out to be the same in the end).

Plus I feel like LTC is more stable.
Minas3d

Activity: 18

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 08:40:17 AM

Once LTC stops being dependent on BTC in the exchanges it should takeoff, it's more stable than many of the other currencies, including BTC. Also it has better potential for mining since it's immune from ASICs, once ASICs are commonplace, scrypt currencies will be the only profitable ones out there in reach of regular people. BTC is more supported because it was first, but as time progresses, I think we'll see more support for other currencies.
thesnoo23

Activity: 56

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 08:53:35 AM

Once LTC stops being dependent on BTC in the exchanges it should takeoff, it's more stable than many of the other currencies, including BTC. Also it has better potential for mining since it's immune from ASICs, once ASICs are commonplace, scrypt currencies will be the only profitable ones out there in reach of regular people. BTC is more supported because it was first, but as time progresses, I think we'll see more support for other currencies.

I find it amusing that people still say that litecoin is immune from ASIC mining. When it was originally launched, it was purported to be immune to GPUs, FPGAs, and ASICs. Then, someone figured out how to mine it with GPUs. But everyone still said hey, at least it's immune to FPGAs and ASICs. And then someone started talking about how they're designing an FPGA system for it, and now everyone's saying it's still immune to ASICs. The magic of litecoin is that it's LESS amendable to these types of mining than  bitcoin. Not that it's IMMUNE. As in, you'll get less advantage from them. But you'll still get a boost. What scrypt HAS achieved is the possibility of EXTENDING the low end mining of a coin, not the INABILITY of a coin to be mined by the higher end hardware.
MultipliedCombo

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 08:58:15 AM

I prefer Bitcoin because of it's higher worth and that it's more common.

k2397

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 09:51:41 AM

Rumour has it that Mt Gox will soon start dealing in Litecoins, and that when that happens the price will go up.  I have converted a couple of bitcoins to LTC on BTC-e inthe hope that the rumour is true.  But I plan to keep a stake in both.
appsilious

Activity: 10

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 09:59:20 AM

I personally prefer BTC but LTC may rise in price too. Not as much as BTC but it will be higher than what it is currently.
best_btc

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 10:27:50 AM

BTC, it rises faster, check simply the LTC/BTC ratio.

XRP:  rNnou9B7snYUPPQdH9KP4D9JQ7EJXTKN4G
BTC:  1ELy69CQ8u77qYvjgfZBFxcyNNyrtcQFFR
I wrote already to BTC-e, Mtgox support to add DVC (again). you all should write them too, let our voices be heard:
 http://hdbtce.kayako.com/
and also Mtgox:
https://twitter.com/MtGox
https://support.mtgox.com/home
Evilish

Activity: 882
Merit: 563

Bitcoin to the moon!

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 10:30:06 AM

I prefer BTC. BTC has got more demand and you can buy more stuff with BTC.
RustyShackleford1950

Activity: 266
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 10:44:51 AM

Out of the two? BTC. Mainly because of adoption.

On keyboard, the big d, rusty shackleford
timuckun

Activity: 4

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 10:50:50 AM

I think people who have invested heavily in the GPU miners will migrate to LTC. 
eghoff

Activity: 18

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 11:22:39 AM

The problem i have with LTC is that its mostly just mined to buy bitcoins.
I could maybe see a future for it if everything plays out right, as asics flood the marked, and all the gpu miners migrate to LTC.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: