Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 01:01:15 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Who here regrets not ordering a BFL unit?  (Read 2609 times)
Creenome

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 02:13:08 AM

IMO BFL are the only ones benefiting from these units. As each unit comes onling the difficulties obviously going to get higher. People speculate the BTC/day for these units but I think everyone who purchased one is going to be very upset after day one.
Socket54

Activity: 148
Merit: 102

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 02:21:13 AM

if you don't have one these running in the next few months, to me there is no point of having one. The difficulty will be too high and the profi margin back to pre-acis levels.

Laugh Smile and Love
Coreyok96

Activity: 16

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 03:29:32 AM

if you don't have one these running in the next few months, to me there is no point of having one. The difficulty will be too high and the profi margin back to pre-acis levels.

This. The first people to receive ASICs are going to be the ones that truly make a large profit. People with the first batch of Avalon ASICs would be very happy with their purchase right now, as the difficulty is still low enough for them to make a good profit. As BFL starts to ship through all of their pre-orders, the difficulty will rise and it will be a lot like GPU/FPGA mining is now.
TracerX

Activity: 918
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 03:54:55 AM

So due to recent videos of one user's demo/pre-release video of a single...who here are starting to change their mind about ordering from BFL?

A better question would be , "Do you regret not purchasing an Avalon instead of dealing with BFL".  I could answer that one in a heartbeat!

This.  Got my BFL refund long time ago and made back the loss by trading.  I hate trading but I would hate waiting for "soon" even more.

I did the same thing.  Got my refund on my single last week.  May regret it, but feeling better about it every day.
Scrappy Do

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 04:17:45 AM

Actually, looking at it now, I ordered 9k worth of BFL gear, and my CC# was rejected. I then proceeded to use my bank account through paypal as I thought maybe my CC was rejecting order due to the size of purchase, but this was not the case. Paypal said no. Mind you, both accounts were well able of said purchase. There is more to it than we can see. I said to heck with my order, and building GPU's as we speak.
andresbonilla

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 05:30:00 AM

I waited until they began shipping to order my Jalapeño. Should arrive in July.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 05:33:23 AM

lol@ "Who here regrets not ordering a BFL unit?"

Who here regrets NOT..

• dealing with abuse everytime they try to figure out what's happening with their order?
  • being lied to on a regular basis?
  • waiting 7+ months (and still waiting) for anything to actually be shipped?
  • watching their opportunity costs rise and their bitcoins quadruple in value while they sit on their hands?

Even if BFL delivered TODAY, on spec even, it has already become a horrible, horrible investment in comparison to Avalon.

TRiMBY

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 08:27:02 AM

Not me! Check out this super-mature response to a couple of customer questions that they posted on their forum: https://forums.butterflylabs.com/blogs/bfl_jody/124-why-did-you-raise-your-prices.html

Word on the street is they're unable to stay within their thermal envelope, to the extent that their Mini Rig SC is now NLA...sorry, "out of stock"...due to an inability to vent all the heat generated inside the case. It seems that they over-promised, and instead of under-delivering have chosen not to deliver at all in favor of trying to work out the bugs. At this rate, by the time they do ship, difficulty may be so high (due to other manufacturers actually shipping ASIC miners en masse) that nobody will ever be able to achieve ROI...particularly since they just doubled their prices!

They evidently do have a prototype ASIC, however, so it's not total vaporware. bitcointalk.org user 'grnberg' got a review unit of the Jalapeno and popped it open: of the two chips installed, one was a dud, and the other was overclocked to compensate. It's a start. I'll spend my money elsewhere.
Tomintx

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 04:11:29 AM

Hey - I ordered a Jalapeno shortly before price increase.  $150 is a gamble, and if difficulty is less than 100M when I finally get it (IF I ever get it) it might actually earn its keep.  We'll see.
hakonf

Activity: 5

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 04:15:56 AM

If the cake is always getting bigger (total mhashes), your piece will at first become bigger, but then it will get smaller and smaller.
Don't think I will buy any ASIC-miners yet ;-)
BTCClicks

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 04:17:42 AM

Well, by they time they ship, difficulty will be through the roof.

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 04:27:23 AM

Even if BFL delivered TODAY, on spec even, it has already become a horrible, horrible investment in comparison to Avalon.
I'm sure everyone who pre-ordered with BFL (or bASIC for that matter) would love to have known the future and have ordered a first batch Avalon instead.  But hindsight is 20/20.  I wish I knew Wednesday's lottery draw numbers on Monday, and I wish I knew the price of BTC would rise from $2 up to $266.

So yes, of course a first-batch or second-batch Avalon would have been a much better investment, but that doesn't make a BFL order horrible.  At least, I still have no regrets about mine...
brendm

Activity: 13

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 04:51:11 AM

I ordered one fairly early and I have no regrets.  We'll see how it goes.
The_Authorities

Activity: 25

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 05:53:36 AM

Free market dictates a new asic will come out cheaper within the year
BitMagnet

Activity: 11

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 06:28:06 AM

I would have regretted not ordering one - but I did. I regret not ordering more than one!
BitshireHashaway

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 06:58:02 PM

The way it seems to work is you could have gotten in early and taken a risk, and gotten a short, good return on investment, or gotten in later with less risk, but a longer return on investment. I personally will order one once they start shipping and as long as I make my money back and cover the 720w/day in electricity (like $0.25/day where I am), then I'll be fine. I'm guessing I should be able to do that pretty easily because right now I'm getting ~$0.15/day with my Alienware laptop at 20mH so if I increase to 5gH, even if the difficultly increases 10 fold, I should still be making $4.50/day.
mpechs

Activity: 4

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 07:31:08 PM

i ordered a Little Single SC (25 GH/s, https://products.butterflylabs.com/25-gh-s-bitcoin-miner.html) in january and i just gave up on BFL, but now that more and more videos and articles are popping up everywhere i'm hoping again..

the good thing is i only payed around 650€ for it at the time. and i split that with my roommate Wink

so if the units would be here today i could make around 1.2 BTC/day making my ROI in 5 days..
but since i ordered so late i guess i'll have to wait at least 3-4 months, if not until the end of the year.. by then it may take months to get a ROI.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: