Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:18:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong here!?  (Read 601 times)
Aloogy (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 12:06:29 PM

Hello, I started using Bitcoins a few days ago, and initially I was using my tower PC. Everything seemed to be working, slowly but surely. I am using BitMinter and I was getting around 22Mhps. Its a very power computer (used as a server), yet I don't know if 22Mhps is good. Anyway, every 30 minutes or so I would get a "proof from server" and I guess that means something good. All I know is that by looking on the Bitminter website, the bitcoins were going up (very very slowly).

So, today I tried BitMinter on my Retina MacBook pro. I thought it might do a little worse, but I tried it anyway, and to my surprise... Somehow it says I am getting 100Ghps+. Either this is a normal amount and my big PC is very bad, or something is wrong. To add to the fun, over a period of 5 hours I got only 2 "proofs from server", meaning I generated little to no amount  of bitcoins. In fact, whilst it was going, the PC got 100's of proofs!

Can anyway have a go and help me find what I am doing wrong here? 100Ghps should be better and produce more bitcoins than 22Mhps right? Because right now its the complete opposite!

The image below has been taken from my macbook. If your wandering, I quit the program and restarted, just to be sure, thats why the uptime is only 25 minutes.

Thanks all.

https://i.imgur.com/tXLGIbV.png

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
RustyShackleford1950

Activity: 266
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 12:10:08 PM

I'm not familiar with bitminter but I can assure you 100GH/s is a mistake.

I believe that is the total power of the bitminter network (ie. all computers added together).

To get a good MH/s rate, you need a good ATI graphics card. If you have an NVidia, forget it. If you're CPU mining, forget it. It will be really, really slow

On keyboard, the big d, rusty shackleford
amylizzle

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 12:11:57 PM

22MHash/s isn't really worth mining at. The electricity costs won't even remotely begin to be covered by the spoils of your mining.

I sincerely doubt you're actually pulling 100GHash/s, since that's the kind of rate a bank of ASIC's would pull. My guess is that there's a glitch in the software you're using. Having said that, if you are (magically) pulling 100GHash/s, then keep doing that Tongue
johnfox

Activity: 24

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 12:17:07 PM

Hi,

I would recommend to read something about BitCoin mining - there are some options used in the past (like CPU mining) that are no more profitable. Start your reading for example here: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining#Hardware

Aloogy (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 12:18:54 PM

22MHash/s isn't really worth mining at. The electricity costs won't even remotely begin to be covered by the spoils of your mining.

I sincerely doubt you're actually pulling 100GHash/s, since that's the kind of rate a bank of ASIC's would pull. My guess is that there's a glitch in the software you're using. Having said that, if you are (magically) pulling 100GHash/s, then keep doing that Tongue

I agree, although the log currently spams every minute:

2013.04.21 [22:09]  GeForce GT 650M (#1) ran out of work. Idling...

Does this mean it is actually doing things very fast? Or does it just clarify it has a big glitch?

Also, are the "proofs accepted by server" (little gold box in the bottom bar of the picture) supposed to go up quickly? Because on the mac, they certainly do not!
fussycashew

Activity: 12

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 12:20:30 PM

I worked with BitMinter for a while, and this is just a bug. Try running the beta client if you're not, or running the regular client if you are running the beta.
Alternatively you could post in their newbie thread
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=22432.0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: