Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 10:13:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Trojan Wallet stealer be careful  (Read 180120 times)
commandrix

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 05:26:55 PM

Hey thanks for the warning. This is why I try to only download things from the official website. I don't even use GitHub.
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DannyBoy89

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2014, 07:36:05 AM

Hey thanks for the warning. This is why I try to only download things from the official website. I don't even use GitHub.
Upss... Dude this website is for sure a Java Drive Bay be carefull...
Quartx

Activity: 1036
Merit: 504

Becoming legend, but I took merit to the knee :(

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2014, 04:22:40 AM

Many still do not know about this which is sad when thier wallet just empties

Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2014, 11:32:43 AM

I encrypted my wallet with in-built option, is it secure?  Roll Eyes Huh

Kindly,
           Muhammed Zakhir

OnkelPaul
Legendary

Activity: 1039
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 11:44:32 AM

I encrypted my wallet with in-built option, is it secure?  Roll Eyes Huh

Kindly,
           Muhammed Zakhir

Not if you have a trojan that spies on your keyboard. When you spend something from the wallet, the trojan will see your passphrase, and then the attacker can potentially spend the rest of your wallet contents.
But a password protected wallet is at least somewhat more secure in that a simple attack reading the wallet file will not suffice.

Onkel Paul

Alex_green

Activity: 19

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 04:45:45 PM

If anything, the wallet needs to be encrypted by default
Fragan

Activity: 34
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 07:01:46 PM

thank you for the information dude  Smiley

Win Bitcoins at https://bitcoin-scratchticket.com
playon

Activity: 35

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 08:48:42 AM

Thanks for the post
johan3z

Activity: 3

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 10:27:04 PM

BTC won't make it very long if this keeps up.

It's nothing to do with Bitcoin itself, it's stupid idiots who fuck up something on their computer and decide to blame what they're using for the problem rather than realising what happened, it's something technology has had to deal with for ages now, human stupidity, if you ever get a lot of Bitcoins the best solution is to clearly store it offline and make sure it is properly backed up. Sorry, you just reminded me of an argument I had with my dad when I was trying to tell him he needed to enter in information for the nameservers on my web host when even a support staff there said we needed to, then when he finally bloody did it, the website was working fine.

Actually, he is absolutely correct about btc not making it. You can condescendingly preach about the stupidity / ignorance of people susceptible to coin stealing malware. Pontificate all you like and continue w/ irrelevant analogies like leaving a wallet on the dashboard of your car. The fact of the matter is you have to use rather inconvenient safeguards to ensure, w/ certainty, your coins are safe. For btc to " make it " it has to be practical, secure and easy for the average Joe layman to use. It is definitely none of those things. The little issue of irreversibility is likewise a deterrent to btc proliferation. So blast away if that boosts your intellectual ego. I think, btc will continue to be relegated to it's current use and form. Perhaps though another digital currency, that nullifies btc issues, will someday go into more mainstream use.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 03:10:57 AM

The fact of the matter is you have to use rather inconvenient safeguards to ensure, w/ certainty, your coins are safe.
Just like you have to jump through hoops to make sure your cash (whether physical or digital) is safe. I've had my physical wallet stolen twice (once in my house by a plumber, even), and lost once, but I've never had my qt/Core wallet lost or stolen, and I've been using both almost as long, being fairly young. Just to get a bank account in the US, there's a long form to fill out, requiring all sorts of government info and in some cases, a fingerprint or a "vein print." Though SOME forms of cash is supposedly safe from theft in SOME cases, the hassle of recovery is, in a good few instances, more hassle than it's worth. US high schools (including where I went, in the middle of nowhere) actually have personal finance courses to teach teenagers how to use this complex system, from writing checks and securing cash to figuring out the pros and cons of different kinds of bank accounts and figuring out what the Hell TransUnion is. -But people need a bank account because it's what everyone else is using, and like switching from the imperial to metric system, it's a PitA current adults aren't interested in taking so long as the current system can continue limping along (though still a bad long-term plan to go with). -And I STILL don't understand fiat issuance fully (along with a few grads of university Quantitative courses). THAT's a complex system almost impossible to fully wrap your head around.

I'd argue what's really putting "normal" middle-aged people off to Bitcoin is just the worry about screwing something up and losing money because they just aren't very familiar with computer software in general and think this is some type of high-level sorcery only able to be understood by basement-dwelling neckbeards and MIT grads (... assuming a difference Grin) when it's as simple as copy-pasting one string of characters (or clicking a URI), double-checking it to make sure you/it copied the string right, then clicking the button to send it off (and hopefully, entering your password in).

I think it's really just fear of the unfamiliar, and I think that's compounded when we're really paranoid because we don't want them to lose any money on our advice, so we give them really over-the-top security measures we insist they take to keep $300 in BTC secure when they'd almost certainly never run into a security issue using a lite client without any significant changes to their general browsing/use habits. We -- and I'm using "we" really loosely here, because I mean to say "I" and assume most others are paranoid when someone comes to them for advice on what to do with their wealth -- tend to basically tell them the equivalent of keeping 2+ physical wallets for their cash, one they keep on-hand with a trivial amount in but for which they still tether to a hole cut into their body with a key they keep in another compartment of their body they had cut with a waterproof-bag which only opens with your fingerprint, and one which is kept inside mini-safes under a floorboard with a significant amount of cash (or even better, with some buried under floor boards, some kept buried in the backyard, and some stuffed into a tree) with keys kept in bank safeboxes, though you obviously don't want to keep all the keys in the same box or even the same bank -- you want to use different keys, and ideally, you'll use modular key parts, where there are maybe three key parts fit together, and you need any two keys to open one box, where these various key combinations are stored on a hidden, encrypted hard drive partition which uses a n-of-m password you've written down and given to various family members and well-trusted friends to decrypt. -And really, for a casual user with a "casual" amount of cash, the paranoid advice we give is just fucking stupid. Almost nobody keeps tens of thousands of dollars under their mattress, but it's almost like we assume everyone curious about Bitcoin's going to have 100BTC just sitting around on their Android BTC wallet, though maybe this is just from too many people in the past going full-retard and investing tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars into something they just accumulated a cursory understanding of thirty minutes ago because they have some intuitive sense that it's the next big thing because young people are using it. Those people really ought to be waiting until they can just have their EdwardJones agent, or whoever, buy BTC (or a representative fund) for them, and maybe we're just too enthusiastic about BTC to tell them to wait for an established corporation to professionally handle (and insure) their life savings.
cryptogoku

Activity: 51

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 06:41:58 PM

~~Is good to know~~
~~Thanks for the Info!~~
donguan

Activity: 19

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 05:36:14 PM

thanks for warning will be careful
topman21
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1056

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 08:37:57 AM

Thanks for the information and i will be more careful from now on...

██▄     ▄▄░
▀██▄ ▄██▀
▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄
████▀                   ▀████
████       ▄▄█████▄▄  ▀▄   ████
████      ▄██████████▄▀    ████
████      ████████▀▀       ████
████  ▄▀ ▄██▀▀▀   ▄██      ████
████   ▀▀     ▄▄███▀       ████
████▄                   ▄████
▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
SECONDLIVE
CHOOSE LIFE      CHOOSE SPACE      CHOOSE FRIENDS
                           Twitter       Telegram      Medium      YouTube      Discord        TikTok         GitHub               
        ▄▄███████▄▄▄
    ▄▄████████████████▄▄
   ████████████████████▄
  ███████▀▀▀█████████████
 ██████▌     ▀████████████
███████▀ ▀▀▄▄██▀▀▀█████████
██████             ▀███████
██████▄             ███████
 ███████▄▄        ▄███████
  ███████████▄▄▄▄█████████
   ▀███████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀▀
   ██████████████████████
xdominating

Activity: 9

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 04:50:08 AM

thanks for help on it.

that's a good warning. we must beware of posibility crime on this forum, like this one. crime is not just want to do it for the reason, but some chance could make it happen.

let's keep our eyes.
sickhouse

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 01:08:31 AM

Thank you for this, I put up a hard password so good luck withdrawing bitches.

Turn off the news and read. Watch Psywar, learn something important about our society and PR, why and how it got started and how it brainwashes you.
Lucky Cris

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 01:12:59 AM

Is the trojan only for Windows or need the rest of us be scared too? Embarrassed
In my opinion Ubuntu is safe for everything. Nothing to be afraid of while using Ubuntu.
Kindly,
        Muhammed Zakhir

Who the hell told you this? Stop spreading shit that isn't true.

ondratra

Activity: 350

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 06:22:50 PM

I recommend having wallet in virtualized computer and try new potentionally dangerous apps on regular pc (or vise versa)
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2014, 02:38:08 PM

Is the trojan only for Windows or need the rest of us be scared too? Embarrassed
In my opinion Ubuntu is safe for everything. Nothing to be afraid of while using Ubuntu.
Kindly,
        Muhammed Zakhir

Yes, Ubuntu can be attacked too but it is safer than Windows. Sorry for not being clear and about the last line.

Kindly,
      MZ

Lucky Cris

Activity: 280

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 03:17:55 PM

Kindly,
        Muhammed Zakhir

Yes, Ubuntu can be attacked too but it is safer than Windows. Sorry for not being clear and about the last line.

Kindly,
      MZ

Much better Smiley yes, it's safer, but of course you have to do your part as well to maintain the security posture. Now in terms of Trojans... I do think compiling from source is better is than installing a freaking executable... But from what I hear, it's pretty easy to hide a line of malicious code in the source files. Guess that's the risk we have to take

chivas50year

Activity: 12

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 08:02:40 PM

i lost 6.5btc and 14.5million doge
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: