Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:49:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Trojan Wallet stealer be careful  (Read 180105 times)
gewure

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

[#][#][#]

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 06:03:36 AM

I have a solution! Download and install a much more secure operating system its called linux. Did I mention its free too?  Roll Eyes
Just because it's a different operating system doesn't mean there aren't hackers who don't know how to get the wallet.dat
Always take precaution when downloading / installing / running files.

you are clearly no unix-user..

OBVIOUS

this is my tux. he sits on my wallet.dat try to mess with him and he will make use of his knife.
i promise you will miss the part of your body..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
NothinG

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 02:29:20 AM

I have a solution! Download and install a much more secure operating system its called linux. Did I mention its free too?  Roll Eyes
Just because it's a different operating system doesn't mean there aren't hackers who don't know how to get the wallet.dat
Always take precaution when downloading / installing / running files.

you are clearly no unix-user..

OBVIOUS

this is my tux. he sits on my wallet.dat try to mess with him and he will make use of his knife.
i promise you will miss the part of your body..

gewure

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

[#][#][#]

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 04:18:21 AM

dude..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_malware

3 reasons:

1. open source - everyone can search for possible bugs, vulnerabilities and patch them nearly immidiatelly
2. much better user/rights management
3. there are far to much different distributions

IF there was a walletstealer-trojan which affects up-to-date ubuntu, example given, that would probably hit the GNU/Linux community like a napalm bomb - while nobody cares if there are trojans for mac or windows - cause everybody is used to them.

get over it: your chances of getting your wallet.dat stolen are much lower if you use GNU/Linux, especially if you use a widespread distribution like Ubuntu, Mint or Fedora.
NothinG

Activity: 560

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 07:03:28 AM

dude..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_malware

3 reasons:

1. open source - everyone can search for possible bugs, vulnerabilities and patch them nearly immidiatelly
2. much better user/rights management
3. there are far to much different distributions

IF there was a walletstealer-trojan which affects up-to-date ubuntu, example given, that would probably hit the GNU/Linux community like a napalm bomb - while nobody cares if there are trojans for mac or windows - cause everybody is used to them.

get over it: your chances of getting your wallet.dat stolen are much lower if you use GNU/Linux, especially if you use a widespread distribution like Ubuntu, Mint or Fedora.
1) How many people do you know who can patch their own OS?
2) How many people do you know who uses the permission management system properly?
3) True, which is why Java is a bitch. Wink

codymanix

Activity: 203
Merit: 121

Gir: I'm gonna sing the Doom Song now..

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 10:37:29 PM

Everyone concerned in security should read this, it will blow you really away: http://www.thebitcointrader.com/2011/12/bitcoin-06-will-blow-you-away.html
If this will get true, nobody has to be worried about wallet stealers in future.

Programming tutorials, Tools, Games & Humor http://deutronium.de.vu
My Vircurex referral code for persistant 0.05% trade discount: 750-33267 or use
https://vircurex.com/welcome/index?referral_id=750-33267
Fjordbit

Activity: 588

firstbits.com/1kznfw

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 02:24:59 PM

The problem isn't with ubuntu, but with other things you might have installed. A buffer overflow attack on apache or something else could get a remote user access to your wallet. There are many rootkits for linux. It's not a virus, but it's still a risk.
gensen

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2012, 09:30:53 AM

Thanks you never can be to carefull.

Real G&G Exchange Buy, Sell Bitcoin and Litecoin www.btctotal.com
Shotgun_WooWoo

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 06:35:07 PM

BTC won't make it very long if this keeps up.

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2012, 08:48:27 PM

BTC won't make it very long if this keeps up.

It's nothing to do with Bitcoin itself, it's stupid idiots who fuck up something on their computer and decide to blame what they're using for the problem rather than realising what happened, it's something technology has had to deal with for ages now, human stupidity, if you ever get a lot of Bitcoins the best solution is to clearly store it offline and make sure it is properly backed up. Sorry, you just reminded me of an argument I had with my dad when I was trying to tell him he needed to enter in information for the nameservers on my web host when even a support staff there said we needed to, then when he finally bloody did it, the website was working fine.
marketersales

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 07:19:56 PM

Use 7-zip is easiest, AES-256 encryption
I already use 7-zip and telling it's great !
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 07:24:20 AM

fresh hard drive formatting new os and uptodate anti virus software should be sufficient for a few bitcoins
if you are amassing large numbers then extra precautions would be expected

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
Evan

Activity: 507

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 05:37:46 PM

There is a (new?) trojan wallet stealer out in the wild ATM.

Plenty of script kiddies and scammers are going to be trying to get you to download and install it, what's more they'll be putting posts to do so (using lies obviously).

Don't install anything linked to on this forum, unless it's been found by someone with a good reputation to be legit. Assume everything is an attempt to steal your wallet.

You should also encrypt your wallet when not in use.
http://www.freeotfe.org/

Here is a portable apps version http://www.freeotfe.org/downloads/FreeOTFEExplorer_3_51.paf.exe

You have been warned.

Nefario

What da faq do i trust a scammer?

I am poor, but i do work for Coin Smiley
1PtHcavXoakgNkQfEQdvnvEksEY2NvwaLM
Astrophysical

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 03:21:32 PM

Don't install anything linked to on this forum, unless it's been found by someone with a good reputation to be legit. Assume everything is an attempt to steal your wallet.

You have been warned.

Nefario

impressive contradiction - this whole post

why should anyone trust "a good reputation" if everything IS an attempt to steal wallets
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 08:15:11 AM

Linux is great for security, no doubts there. Caveat: if you understand it.

Most Linux users only understand a fraction of it correctly. I know that from working with many server people who claim to understand Linux but when you question them about really securing their servers most do not have a clue.

Therefore I don't think advising "normal" people to "download Linux" is really a great solution to securing their bitcoins.

A far quicker method would be to advise them to download wallets that take security seriously.

Encryption of your wallet is a must. The suggestion of simply moving your wallet away from the default location is akin to moving your cash from under your bed to a bed in the spare room. Thieves will look under more than one mattress.

I would also advise against clicking on any link in a forum which says "this will really help you secure your bitcoins". Even the user is "super-trusted" he could have just had his account hacked.
BlueTemplar

Activity: 164

Gone for a minute now back again

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 03:23:40 PM

I'm using Ubuntu in a virtual machine, and I only use it to run bitcoin-qt, manage my encrypted wallet, and deal with mtgox (and I don't do any of those things elsewhere). The hardest thing I had to do is to figure out how to install bitcoin-qt (and increase the disk space afterwards because I somehow missed that the default 8Gb wouldn't be enough). Am I right to think that's the closest thing in safety to a dedicated computer and/or cold storage? How much money would you feel safe with storing in such a setup?
Evo

Activity: 22

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 02:57:11 AM

Thanks for this info. Looks like you have got to be pretty careful.
VacantPaper

Activity: 28

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 10:49:38 PM

Plenty of script kiddies and scammers are going to be trying to get you to download and install it, what's more they'll be putting posts to do so (using lies obviously).

Here is a portable apps version http://www.freeotfe.org/downloads/FreeOTFEExplorer_3_51.paf.exe

You have been warned.

Nefario
Thanks for the warning and the link to this *cough* software.
https://i.imgur.com/gAQFj.jpg

Why whats wrong with this?

It's OpenSource, fairly well know, a well know domain, from a fairly well known user (me), whats the problem?

No problem, just the fact that a big "SCAMMER" title is below your username...
Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 01:34:33 PM

You have been warned.

Nefario

How long until we get trojancoin?
BitshireHashaway

Activity: 182

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2013, 08:15:16 PM

I hardly keep any value in wallet no more than few dollars because I'm just starting out. I plan on encrypting it and such if I ever get a large amount in there, but if I'm just starting out, is it necessary that I encrypt my wallet, or is the hassle not worth the potential reward. What do you recommend?
tinus42

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 12:29:34 AM

I want some to try and hack my paper wallet. Grin
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: