Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 11:50:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the difference between a "coin" and "token"?  (Read 8160 times)
Nachalnik (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 03:32:19 PM

I've heard of some companies offering tokens instead of coins, is this the same thing?
prass tyo

Activity: 338
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 04:18:08 PM

I've heard of some companies offering tokens instead of coins, is this the same thing?

The difference between the coin and token it was not at his usual number of printing different from that which I know there may be willing adding again
Nachalnik (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 04:22:13 PM

The difference between the coin and token it was not at his usual number of printing different from that which I know there may be willing adding again

Didn't understand you quite well, could you rephrase?
alt213

Activity: 537
Merit: 259

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 04:27:26 PM

Coin is p2p software or program built from unique code source or cloned from another code source like litecoin, token is issuable within coin platform like ethereum, nxt, waves.....
Nachalnik (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 05:03:54 PM

Coin is p2p software or program built from unique code source or cloned from another code source like litecoin, token is issuable within coin platform like ethereum, nxt, waves.....

I'm not sure if I understood you correctly.... How I understood it is that a coin is the actual currency of a specific company or their "product" while a token is more like a "share" in a more traditional company.....correct? O.o
Aureliusy

Activity: 325
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 05:52:59 PM

The key point of difference between a token and a coin is that a coin is issued by a governmental local or national authority and is freely exchangeable for goods or other coins, whereas a token has a much more limited use and is often (but not always) issued by a private company, group, association or individual. In the case of "currency tokens" issued by a company but also recognized by the state there is a convergence between tokens and currency.

from
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Token_coin
Classical view ofc
faustmeister

Activity: 28

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 08:37:27 PM

The key point of difference between a token and a coin is that a coin is issued by a governmental local or national authority and is freely exchangeable for goods or other coins, whereas a token has a much more limited use and is often (but not always) issued by a private company, group, association or individual. In the case of "currency tokens" issued by a company but also recognized by the state there is a convergence between tokens and currency.

from
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Token_coin
Classical view ofc

This is the standard definition for traditional currency (non-cryptocurrency) .
Poink

Activity: 350
Merit: 122

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 08:43:37 PM

1. Coins or Cryptocurrencies
These are digital currencies like Bitcoin in which encryption techniques are used to regulate the generation of units of currency and verify the transfer of funds. They are operating independently of a central bank.

2. Utility tokens
The utility tokens are services or units of services that can be purchased.  These tokens can be compared to API keys, used to access the service.

The keyword is utility...tokens do something.  Coins are just "coins" that sometimes used as a foundation in creating new tokens.
Poink

Activity: 350
Merit: 122

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 08:47:24 PM

More...

https://blog.chronobank.io/token-vs-coin-whats-the-difference-5ef7580d1199

Function vs form

Very broadly, a crypto coin is just that: a coin, or means of payment, whilst a token has wider functionality.

The express purpose of a coin is to act like money: as a unit of account, store of value and medium of transfer. Coins tend to take the form of native blockchain tokens like bitcoin (BTC), Litecoin (LTC), Monero (XMR), and so on, though they do not have to. ChronoBank’s Labour Hour (LH) tokens, which are hosted on Ethereum, can be considered as coins. Their purpose is solely to act as a form of money, storing value over time and enabling businesses to account and pay for services. They are created as ERC20 tokens for reasons of convenience.

Blockchain tokens do have value, but they cannot be considered money in quite the same way that a straightforward coin can. Tokens are generally hosted on another blockchain, like Ethereum or Waves: 2.0 protocols that allow users to create them using the core coin (e.g. ETH or WAVES — though there’s some debate about whether ETH and WAVES, both of which act like ‘fuel’ for their systems, are coins in the same way that BTC acts as a simple currency).

Tokens offer functionality over and above that of digital cash. They may deliver value to investors, beyond speculative returns; this is one of the purposes of ChronoBank’s TIME token. That can occur in a variety of ways, though typically through buybacks (since dividend payments entail regulatory problems). They may be used to hold votes by the community on key business decisions, or even technical changes to the platform.
freebutcaged

Activity: 588
Merit: 541

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 10:04:39 PM

Tomato or tomato, difference is in the spelling mate, like mate and friend, buddy, pal they all mean one thing but used in different places by different

People, in crypto sphere people call the shitcoins issued by Eth blockchain a token but in reality they're all traded on exchanges like coins, we are

Supposed to use tokens on their own platforms to access various services and they're supposed to be accepted only on their own platforms, coins

Should be accepted worldwide.
bitcoinvestor

Activity: 812
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 10:20:05 PM

COin is he main coin with its network like eth while token is the coin created under the network like ten x pay is token, it is created in eth network or blockchain, Most ICOs use eth token , there are some use etc , and waves. Most ICos now use eth network because the developers may prefer eth to make smart contract deployed
XbladeX
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 11:00:30 PM

no coin is curency that represts some abstract free money on market people use it and spend it.
Toneks represents shares/assts on blockcian and are linked to certain value.
Token usualy work on some plaform like ETH /BTC NXT. Tokes are tradable for coins( currency)

Request / 26th September / 2022 APP-06-22-4587
Lovetrading

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 11:22:43 PM

Coin is a cryptocurrency Protocol.
Example:  Bitcoin, Ether, NEO, WAVE, OMNI, NXT, Counterparty

Token is an App that can be built on top of the protocol.
Example: TenX is built on top of Etherum protocol, GAS is built on top of NEO protocol

Hope this helps!
Nalbo

Activity: 870
Merit: 125

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 11:24:41 PM

Coins are used generally to define the digital tokens which has it's own blockchain.
While tokens are the digital tokens that are transacted using sidechain of a coin.
innoachukwu

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 01:48:13 PM

I think tokens are coins built within a coin....
OneUserOne

Activity: 56

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 02:03:52 PM

I guess coins and tokens are slightly different. To me, the term "coin" is used when talking about Bitcoin, when the term "token" is and should be applied in terms of referring to Ethereum.
Aizhen05

Activity: 205
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 02:11:59 PM

as what my friends told me tokens is another way that their going to paid instead of coins then you need to convert it in coins then into fiat currency. am I right the difference between the two of them I don't know. ive never try paid by token or even in coins because ive never join for some campaign.
syaripudin

Activity: 672
Merit: 253

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 02:16:49 PM

Coin is a virtual currency in some countries can be used as a tool of transactions or delivery as well as fiat currency in general. while the token is like a coin but the difference tokens are still in the development process undertaken by ICO in the development of a project under construction. but in the end the token will be used like a coin in general for a transaction. and today many ICOs have built a token as a flaporm for the development of a project and usually can only be used in a flaporm on a project they are developing.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org|  
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
DaftAjax

Activity: 532
Merit: 284

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 02:18:20 PM

Coins are what we called the cryptocurrencies, such as Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin etc. And the tokens are those things that have been forked from a specific Coin. Well that is much pretty all it, in the simplest explanation that is.

But the deeper explanation is yet to be unfold only thy yourself instead, you already have the idea so I'm assuming that you can now further research about their difference, and probably their importance and all.

|████████████████████████████
██████▀  ▀█████████▀ ▀██████
████▀      ▀█████▀     ▀████
███▀        ▀███         ███
███▄        ▄████▄     ▄████
██████▀  ▀█████████▄ ▄██████
████████████████████████████
████▀▀▀██▀▀▀██████▀   ▀█████
███          █████▄   ▄█████
███▄        ▄███▀  ▀ ▀  ▀███
████▄      ▄████▄  ▄ ▄  ▄███
███████▄▄██████████▄▄▄██████
████
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
████
▄█████████▀    ▄████▀   ▄██▀
 ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████████████████  █████
██████████▀ ▀███████████████
▄███████▀     ▀██████  ████▄
███████         ████████████
▀███████▄     ▄██████  ████▀
██████████▄ ▄███████████████
█████████████████████  █████

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄████████████▀  ▄███▀  ▄███▀
████
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
████
|         ▄▄████▄▄       
     ▄▄█████▀▀█████▄▄   
 ▄▄█████▀▀      ▀▀█████▄▄
████▀▀              ▀▀████
███       ▄▄████▄▄     ███
███   ▄▄█████▀▀█████▄▄ ███
███▄█████▀▀      ▀▀███████
█████▀▀    ▀█████▀   ▀▀███
███         ▀█▀▀███▄▄    ▀
████▄▄            ▀▀███▄ 
 ▀▀█████▄▄      ▄▄█████▀ 
     ▀▀█████▄▄█████▀▀     
         ▀▀████▀▀         
Acewins.io|████████████████████████████
██████████  ██  ████████████
████████         ▀██████████
██████████  ████▄  █████████
██████████  ████▀  █████████
██████████          ▀███████
██████████  ███████  ███████
████████▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄███████
████████▄▄  ▄▄  ▄▄▄█████████
██████████▄▄██▄▄████████████
████
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
████
|||
MyOddz

Activity: 150
Merit: 11

Here for a good time, not a long time.

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2017, 03:00:39 PM

i would say that in terms of eth, you could consider eth the foundations of a house. a token, would be what is built on top of it. you cannot have a token without eth, and eth underpins everything. tokens, can have many different functions, just like the parts built on top of the foundations, walls, windows etc

LOTS OF ETHEREUM ENS (.eth) NAMES AVAILABLE TO PURCHASE, CONTACT FOR DETAILS.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: