Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 11:18:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the difference between a "coin" and "token"?  (Read 8160 times)
karungbitcoin

Activity: 588
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 07:31:57 AM

In my opinion different between coin and token is coin are mineable so everyone can to participate to mine it, just like Bitcoin, Ethereum and Dash. And token is only their developer can create it and also only the developer can burn it. Coin they has own blockchain but token does not have it and use smart contract in other blockchain.

███    TWITTER     MOCKTAIL      WHITEPAPER     ███
███       ANN                        FIRST SEMI-FUNGIBLE TOKEN ON BSC         SMART CONTRACT    ███
███  TELEGRAM       SWAP             PANCAKE      ███

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
chimcoin

Activity: 168
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 08:05:45 AM

In addition, The two terms used to describe units of blockchain value are COIN and TOKEN. Their meaning and usage overlaps considerably and they are often used interchangeably, but  there are some differences.
The express purpose of a coin is to act like money: as a unit of account, store of value and medium of transfer. Coins tend to take the form of native blockchain tokens like bitcoin (BTC), Litecoin (LTC), and so on, though they do not have to. Where as Blockchain tokens do have value, but they cannot be considered money in quite the same way that a straightforward coin can.
Tokens are representation of a particular asset or utility, that usually resides on top of another blockchain. Tokens can represent basically any assets that are fungible and tradeable, from commodities to loyalty points to even other cryptocurrencies!
Gustafio

Activity: 350
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 12:26:20 PM

There is a lot of people that is confused about these terms, so i'l explain:

Coins are basically currencies which can be traded or used for buying and selling of things if those buyers and sellers choose to accept the coin. And a coin has its own blockchain or equivalent, and is not built on another like Ethereum.
Coins are just "coins" that sometimes used as a foundation in creating new tokens.

But a token is something that can be built on another platform, like Ethereum, and a token actually plays role within the business operations and transactions of the company that issues it. The utility tokens are services or units of services that can be purchased.  These tokens can be compared to API keys, used to access the service.

efeyigit399

Activity: 252
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 10:46:27 AM

this is something that even those who spend a long time in the market might know. coin coins are linked and the generic name of the produced material that is marketed as a project product.
jzone23

Activity: 194

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 04:29:08 AM

I've heard of some companies offering tokens instead of coins, is this the same thing?

In my own undertanding, coin are those digital currency which is launch to work with their own wallet/platform and blockchain technolgy while tokens are those who works using other's platform like erc20, waves, etc.

► StudentCoin◄ ♦ Platform to create personal, DeFi and NFT Tokens♦ ► StudentCoin◄
───●●───●●───●●───●●───●●─[   Bounty Detective   ]─●●───●●───●●───●●───●●───
Website◂ | ▸Twitter◂ | ▸Facebook◂ | ▸LinkedIn◂ | ▸Telegram◂ | ▸Reddit◂ | ▸Instagram
lovepetcute1983

Activity: 89

View Profile
April 14, 2018, 08:39:50 AM

hi . Token is an app that can be built on top of the protocol.
dzelenyanskiy

Activity: 378

View Profile
April 14, 2018, 03:17:19 PM

I understand that coin can perform the functions of a means of payment and means of exchange, and token acts only as a means of reward for certain actions.
tonylewisverdu

Activity: 28

View Profile
April 14, 2018, 03:27:49 PM

I've heard of some companies offering tokens instead of coins, is this the same thing?

a coin is a project that has its own blockchain and a token is those who use other blockchain platform like eth, neo etc

D120
Acerville

Activity: 19

View Profile
April 14, 2018, 03:38:01 PM

the difference of them is Coin have its own wallet and a blockchain,while token dont have waĺlet and you can sell it by smart contract into an ethereum platform like etherdelta.
Pamela1966

Activity: 196

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2018, 03:51:44 PM

They are both two terms used to describe units of Blockchain value.  Their meaning and uses overlap considerably and are often used interchangeably but at least there are some differences
alt18coins

Activity: 261
Merit: 2

View Profile
April 14, 2018, 04:46:27 PM

Coins in cryptocurrency which operates independently any other platform.e.g litecoin,bitcoin whereas token is also a cryptocurrency which requires the another plateform e.g Neo,Waves .Coins are  based on their own blockchain But tokens are built on existing blockchain.
alex_kir

Activity: 490

View Profile
April 14, 2018, 04:49:39 PM

It's very simple, I think that now many understand what a token is and a coin, a token is an entity that is created on the basis of an existing platform, let it be ETH or NEO, but it does not have its own block, and the coin has its own block.
ginika

Activity: 364

View Profile
April 14, 2018, 05:46:15 PM

Coin is a virtual currency in several countries can be used as a means of transaction or delivery as well as fiat currency in general.
The purpose of a coin is to act like money: as an account unit, store value and transfer media. Coins tend to take the form of original blockchain tokens such as bitcoin (BTC), Litecoin (LTC), and so on, although they are not necessary. Where token Blockchain does have value, but they can not be considered money in the same way as a straight coin.

tokens is a medium of exchange, but generally more focused on a project. in addition, Token is one type of evidence of asset ownership that generally uses other existing blockchain technologies. These tokens are created in order to meet certain types of market instruments, or can also be called a single business. Token can be said as any form of tradable assets, such as data, currency, commodity, point reward and so on.
spyerf

Activity: 378
Merit: 103

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 01:42:00 PM

coin is a tool that can be used as a medium of exchange and more considered as currency. while tokens are made to meet the needs of a particular market or group and individual.
CrazyJoker

Activity: 689
Merit: 102

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 01:50:15 PM

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but why this terminological casuistry and play with words? For ordinary consumers this is an equivalent concept, is not it? Speaking of the cryptocurrency - we mean a token, saying a token - we mean cryptocurrency. After reading the topic, I certainly now understand the difference, but if someone tells me the "token of the ether," I'll understand what I'm talking about and will not correct it.
IlfarIldarovich

Activity: 448

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 08:07:40 PM

Any coin has its own blockchain - this is their difference from tokens. Tokens act over of the blockchain, and it facilitates the creation of decentralized applications. Coins can carry value as physical money, while tokens can be used to solve tasks in the blockchain.
crypto1010

Activity: 581
Merit: 108

View Profile
May 09, 2018, 03:12:49 PM

In the world of crypto I think coin and token are usually used interchangeably but I honestly think they are different...

A token is whats offered when a project is holding a token sale as some sort of proof of transaction and when this token sale is over it qualifies to be could a coin as it now has a monetary value Roll Eyes
rodskee

Activity: 2366
Merit: 191

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
May 09, 2018, 03:38:09 PM

base on my knowledge and researching the difference between coins and token hoping can with you
ALTCOIN simply call for short coin an alternative for bitcoin they have created by blockchain
TOKEN are tradable for the commodities to the other cryptocurrency
but for my own understanding both are usable for the cryptocurency trading using blockchain

BeeKeeoEr

Activity: 67

View Profile
May 11, 2018, 05:54:46 AM

Tokens are the same coins but they are not officially registered, that is, there are no prices on them, and they are not on the stock exchange...as soon as the price appears on the stock exchange and is assigned, it is no longer tokens...now it's coin.
btc78

Activity: 2492
Merit: 212

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
May 11, 2018, 06:04:03 AM

Tokens is what we called before this been released to exchanges ,this is usually what youve got if you invested in ICO projects or if you join the signature bounties or any campaign related to ico.

While Coin is what we use from trading and being hold forlong term investments

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: