Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 05:17:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BUcoin is officially dead  (Read 4383 times)
pereira4 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 11:12:22 PM

http://www.coindesk.com/code-bug-exploit-bitcoin-unlimited-nodes/

Let this be a reminder of what happens when you try to pass the development of a 20 billion dollar project into a bunch of idiots instead of sticking with the time-tested, world-class coders with a conservative mindset that have guaranteed our holdings stay safe for 7+ years.

This also proves most BU nodes were single entities with big pockets, probably the work of none other than Bitcoin Jesus himself.

If Jihan Wu, Roger Ver and Gavin Andressen still promote this garbage, we all know they don't even care about their holdings and have ulterior motives beyond the idea of naive good intentions.
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1252

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 11:18:58 PM

This is great news. I was getting a bit worried a hard fork would actually happen, but looks like Jihan's little nerd dream to be the emperor of bitcoin will not happen. Sorry, Core wins another day, and now $3000 are actually possible in 2017.
AgentofCoin
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 11:20:05 PM

Probably should add to the title: "BU node exploit, exploited".
So that users know that something occurred, as opposed to just another flame thread.

Normally, when something like this is discovered, it should remain secret until patched.
Surprised that it was added to the GitHub for the public to see, if this is true.

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
Request a signed message if you are associating with anyone claiming to be me.
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4116
Merit: 1635

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2017, 11:38:37 PM

Looks like about 200 nodes have stayed online which are probably mostly patched clients, though it could be very persistent users repeatedly restarting their node (and least less likely sybil attacks.)

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 11:47:34 PM

they'll be back in some form. it's not something that's gonna go away. they're already trying to spin it.

next time guys make sure your technical prowess outweighs your agenda.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 12:08:14 AM

Sorry to burst your bubble.  Im sure the bug will be fixed and BU back up and running.  It's not like Bitcoin never had a serious bug before. 

#keepinitreal

European Central Bank
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 12:16:01 AM

Sorry to burst your bubble.  Im sure the bug will be fixed and BU back up and running.  It's not like Bitcoin never had a serious bug before. 

#keepinitreal

do you honestly think the majority would be inclined to take it seriously again? they weren't all that convinced before.

if they want to persuade people to make the change then they have to be perfect and then some. even before innovation, it has to be rock solid. bitcoin is no longer a weird little project to tinker with and no amount of obfuscation will compensate people if it blows up.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 12:19:00 AM

BU is winning.  Go over to https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/ and get some unfiltered reality.

Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2884
Merit: 2327

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 12:20:21 AM

OP - I think a better title would be that "Bitcoin Core/Blockstream dev exploits BU nodes, patch quickly released"
European Central Bank
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 12:26:30 AM

BU is winning.  Go over to https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/ and get some unfiltered reality.

uh, no. i gave up on that hole ages ago. r/bitcoin isn't much better but at least you can get some vaguely rational discussions still.

i'm not a big core fan. i'm really, really not a bitcoin unlimited fan. it's like an operation run by a small bunch of toddlers.

if that faction wants to succeed then deliver a solution that works, is elegant, thoroughly vetted, doesn't need ridiculous amounts of spin, accusations, psy ops and gaming to get anywhere and is as dependable as the current bitcoin implementation.

is there as much bullshit coming from the core side? more than likely but they can point to something that's doing its job right now.

if unlimited's version is good enough then a hard fork might follow naturally with most people getting behind it. they have to be better than core, they have to let the code do the talking and they have to extinguish doubt.

ICOcountdown.com

Activity: 1008
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2017, 12:50:01 AM

http://www.razor-forex.com/2017/03/more-than-400-bitcoin-unlimited-nodes.html?m=1

#dontforkbitcoin

https://twitter.com/ICOcountdown/status/841812883109511168

pereira4 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 01:00:28 AM

BU is winning.  Go over to https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/ and get some unfiltered reality.

Looks like all those BUcoiners are on suicide watch. Very sad!

I feel bad for the idiots that felt so deep into the Jihan Wu + Roger Ver propaganda that they will not see the obvious.
Sorry, BU lost all its credibility forever. Nobody without an agenda will risk their wealth and business in the hands of amateurs.
Time to think about the next powergrab attempt.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 01:04:46 AM

i'll be here giving free hugs when you're crying over BU having taken control from Blockstream.  Kiss

ImHash

Activity: 924
Merit: 506

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 01:07:37 AM

Since when nodes count matters? it's not like if a version has most of the nodes it can dominate the network, only mining power can speak for the entire system just like 1CPU 1VOTE but now is 1ASIC(or TH/S) 1VOTE. nodes are not generating bitcoin miners are and miners are not generating bitcoin blocks larger than 1MB why is that? because Core version(main version/original version/base code/source code) says blocks should be only 1MB maximum size.
BU was never alive to begin with.
joecooin

Activity: 359
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2017, 01:10:34 AM

OP - I think a better title would be that "Bitcoin Core/Blockstream dev exploits BU nodes, patch quickly released"

This is so funny. It's the fault of the Bitcoin developers now, isn't it!? Smiley

FYI: that bug has been sitting there for over a year. If the BTU takeover would have been successful Bitcoin would be dead now.

Pleeeease can you now go and just do what the usual procedure is for untested ideas and flawed code and just make an altcoin out of it and go away?

Thank you!

ICOcountdown.com

Activity: 1008
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2017, 01:12:17 AM

This is so funny. It's the fault of the Bitcoin developers now, isn't it!? Smiley

FYI: that bug has been sitting there for over a year. If the BTU takeover would have been successful Bitcoin would be dead now.

Pleeeease can you now go and just do what the usual procedure is for untested ideas and flawed code and just make an altcoin out of it and go away?

Thank you!

We all know that the Bitcoin Unlimited codebase is garbage.  Cool

Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2884
Merit: 2327

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 01:48:30 AM

Bugs have been in other software packages, it is unreasonable for any software to not have any bugs in it.

Also, if BU had already been active, then there would likely be other implementations available, such as bcore 
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 02:06:47 AM

BU is winning.  Go over to https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/ and get some unfiltered reality.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
cosmicblue

Activity: 282
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 02:14:06 AM

Well that ended quite quick.
Like my daddy use to say:
When something ain't broke don't try and fix it.
Looks like they tried to do just that with this mutation of what the blockchain has been doing from the beginning. And not too badly either.

Big dom the donkey destroyer.
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 02:16:00 AM

i'll be here giving free hugs when you're crying over BU having taken control from Blockstream.  Kiss

So BU wants to "take control" of Bitcoin, huh?

That's just the kind of talk I like to hear when it comes to open source projects... o_O

If you honestly believe that Blockstream "controls" Bitcoin (which is ridiculous, no one has ever forced me to install specific software, anyone else?), maybe your argument would sound better if you said something like, "gives control back to the users". Just sayin'. Try it out next time some spin is in order!

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: