Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:27:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't set Zero transaction fees in Electrum  (Read 14770 times)
dano777 (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 06:33:10 AM

Hey gang, so I've searched on this and can't seem to find a way to set zero fees in Electrum.  If I set it too small, it fails the transfer and says something like "hey, cheapskate, the community won't transfer your puny BTC, add some fees!"

But we know that, for "old" coins, and for transfers where we don't care how long they take, we can transfer with zero fees....

Sooooo, anyone know how to do this with Electrum ?

Thanks in advance

Danny

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 06:57:39 AM

wait until your coins get old enough and it should work

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
dano777 (OP)

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 03:24:59 PM

Thanks Thomas.

Tried this morning but it still forces some min transaction.  If this is open source, mind if I change it to "suggested" fee with a warning if users set it to zero ?

Danny
lophie

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 02:17:59 AM

Thanks Thomas.

Tried this morning but it still forces some min transaction.  If this is open source, mind if I change it to "suggested" fee with a warning if users set it to zero ?

Danny
+1

Will take me a while to climb up again, But where is a will, there is a way...
dano777 (OP)

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 06:32:01 AM

Well it's been about two weeks or so since I've received these very special tiny coins...

Still, when I want to transfer them from Electrum, it forces me to use a transaction fee.

How old do these coins have to be before I can set a zero transaction fee ?

Thanks

D
ThomasV
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 08:23:53 AM

Well it's been about two weeks or so since I've received these very special tiny coins...

Still, when I want to transfer them from Electrum, it forces me to use a transaction fee.

Thanks

D

see the technical info : https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Transaction_fees
if your transaction does not have a priority higher than the threshold described there, it will not be propagated by the Bitcoin network.

the Electrum client prevents you from sending a transaction that would otherwise not be propagated by the Bitcoin network.
when this protection was not there, the transaction was visible only at one server, misleading users.

SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 10:09:53 AM

Transactions are only free if the amount sended is higher than 0.01BTC, the address was used some time ago the last time and the transaction itself isnt big in Bytes. Otherwise one has to pay a minimum fee.
Once electrum allowed to send out very small amounts without a fee. The effect was that nothing happened. blockchain.info didnt know the transaction because no node accepted it. So it never got confs.
That only meant trouble to developers. So now its a better solution.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
Mikko8

Activity: 28

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 05:42:12 PM

Thanks

D

see the technical info : https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Transaction_fees
if your transaction does not have a priority higher than the threshold described there, it will not be propagated by the Bitcoin network.

the Electrum client prevents you from sending a transaction that would otherwise not be propagated by the Bitcoin network.
when this protection was not there, the transaction was visible only at one server, misleading users.

Does it mean that transactions below the priority cannot be propagated at all or that these transactions cannot be propagated without a fee? Electrum error message requires a higher fee but my understanding was that the user determines the fee and that it can differ from the suggested fee. If this truly is the case, then how does Electrum determine the appropriate fee, why does it not show it and why is it not just a suggestion?
ThomasV
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 07:02:11 PM

Does it mean that transactions below the priority cannot be propagated at all or that these transactions cannot be propagated without a fee?
this question does not make sense.
there are rules in the network that determine if a tx can be propagated.
please read the documentation link I provided.

my understanding was that the user determines the fee and that it can differ from the suggested fee.
that is correct

If this truly is the case, then how does Electrum determine the appropriate fee,
the fee depends on the length.
it is the fee per kilobyte that you set in your preferences multiplied by the number of kilobytes of the transaction.

why does it not show it and why is it not just a suggestion?
what makes you think it is not the case?

Mikko8

Activity: 28

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 08:22:28 PM

Transactions need to have a priority above 57,600,000 to avoid the enforced limit

What does the enforced limit mean? That I cannot send relatively young satoshis even if I pay a fee?
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 09:13:15 PM

Transactions need to have a priority above 57,600,000 to avoid the enforced limit

What does the enforced limit mean? That I cannot send relatively young satoshis even if I pay a fee?

You can always send satoshis when you pay the needed minimumfee. Its a bit tricky but its mostly to prevent that the network is attacked with too many useless transfers.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 02:22:09 AM

so we can't consolidate a bunch of dust from free sites? What would it take to do that?
btcven

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2013, 04:01:48 PM

so we can't consolidate a bunch of dust from free sites? What would it take to do that?

"To everyone wringing their hands over the recent 5430 satoshi "dust" transaction limit, consider this."

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1drocs/to_everyone_wringing_their_hands_over_the_recent/

Admin: rdymac (PGP) | contacto@bitcoinvenezuela.com | @cafebitcoin | Electrum, lightweight bitcoin client
If I've been helpful tip me a coffee! Cheesy1rdymachKZpA9pTYHYHMYZjfjnoBW6B3k Bitrated user: rdymac.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: