Print  
Author Topic: --  (Read 4067 times)
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 20, 2017, 07:56:28 AM

I'm sorry that you are running into problems because of this.

It is understandable on their side though. Their TOS states that you can use a single account for trading. If you use a VPN service that others are using as well, there will be a chance of multiple people using the same IP, thus they cannot guarantee that they are not the same individual.

In this case, using a reputable VPN over an obscure one probably caused the problem as the chance for IP collusion is much higher with well known services.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Wendigo
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036

View Profile
March 20, 2017, 08:03:59 AM

Hmm I did actually sell some Dogecoins on Poloniex yesterday for the first time ever and got my withdrawal in around 5 minutes tops no questions asked about providing any personal information whatsoever. I didn't use any VPN though so it might just be that VPN that caused you problems.
magneto

Activity: 1666
Merit: 753

View Profile
March 20, 2017, 08:13:55 AM

Not sure where to go with this one, so I thought it would be appropriate here as a PSA.

I use a VPN service.

I signed up with Poloniex and deposited a fair amount of BTC.  I only transact using crypto, no fiat.  I exchanged some BTC for ETH, withdrew some of it, but then my account got locked down and I was told to link my other accounts (I have none).  I have a dedicated IP address, so it's not shared.

Poloniex is now telling me to verify my account at level 2.  They would like my passport number, pictures of my ID, all of my personal information, all because I use a VPN.

Based on what I am told, they will not allow me to withdraw until I have provided such information. 

Not passing judgment on their site, or looking for an argument here, just wanting to highlight that if you use a VPN and are concerned about your privacy, do NOT use Poloniex under any circumstances.

I'll edit this if they change their stance.

This is definitely going to hurt them.

I'd suggest Polo just let this guy up here withdraw his money or you will lose of lot of customers.

Why do people trade Monero or Dash on your site and pump it sky high whilst you charge your fees on every single fucking transaction people make? Because pepole want anonymity. Because people don't want to leak out their personal info to people they've never met before.

So be a man and release this guy's funds. Using a VPN doesn't mean crap.
BitHodler
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1179

View Profile
March 20, 2017, 10:44:19 AM

Hmm I did actually sell some Dogecoins on Poloniex yesterday for the first time ever and got my withdrawal in around 5 minutes tops no questions asked about providing any personal information whatsoever. I didn't use any VPN though so it might just be that VPN that caused you problems.
Problem with VPN's is that you generally don't get appointed a unique IP address. Danger is that when you happen to verify yourself through a VPN, is that everything others do through that same IP will be your problem.

If someone happens to deposit coins that are marked as stolen via that same IP, then they will obviously have a name and all other personal information to hold you responsible for everything.

People should think before doing something. Everything related to crypto is no joke anymore as was the case years ago. Nearly all exchanges are subject to all kinds of regulations. Everything you do needs to be well thought out.

BSV is not the real Bcash. Bcash is the real Bcash.
BTCLovingDude
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1010

BTC to the moon is inevitable...

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2017, 10:50:06 AM

thanks for the warning and it is good for people to know these things before having their funds taken hostage by an exchange service!

i moved on from poloniex for this exact reason. when they started talking about verification and change some stuff with their service a couple of years ago, i knew very well what i should do.

i went to bittrex instead and i am very happy with their service although there is a verification there too, but it doesn't seem to be blocking me so far.

--looking for signature--
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 20, 2017, 10:54:17 AM

Not sure where to go with this one, so I thought it would be appropriate here as a PSA.

I use a VPN service.

I signed up with Poloniex and deposited a fair amount of BTC.  I only transact using crypto, no fiat.  I exchanged some BTC for ETH, withdrew some of it, but then my account got locked down and I was told to link my other accounts (I have none).  I have a dedicated IP address, so it's not shared.

Poloniex is now telling me to verify my account at level 2.  They would like my passport number, pictures of my ID, all of my personal information, all because I use a VPN.

Based on what I am told, they will not allow me to withdraw until I have provided such information. 

Not passing judgment on their site, or looking for an argument here, just wanting to highlight that if you use a VPN and are concerned about your privacy, do NOT use Poloniex under any circumstances.

I'll edit this if they change their stance.

This is definitely going to hurt them.

I'd suggest Polo just let this guy up here withdraw his money or you will lose of lot of customers.

Why do people trade Monero or Dash on your site and pump it sky high whilst you charge your fees on every single fucking transaction people make? Because pepole want anonymity. Because people don't want to leak out their personal info to people they've never met before.

So be a man and release this guy's funds. Using a VPN doesn't mean crap.

Not really, most people don't mind verifying who they are, it also makes it harder for someone to steal my coins.
Poloniex is the best exchange for Alts at the moment, I don't want them to get shut down because they aren't following KYC rules.

I agree that it sucks, but that is the world of money, not just crypto. You can't buy stuff for $10k in cash anymore either, they want ID to buy gold and silver too.
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
March 20, 2017, 11:01:22 AM

Isn't the threshold for no verification $2000?

Did you went above this number?

You said a 'fair amount of BTC'...

n691309
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 20, 2017, 11:29:09 PM

I use a VPN service.

I signed up with Poloniex and deposited a fair amount of BTC. I only transact using crypto, no fiat. I exchanged some BTC for ETH, withdrew some of it, but then my account got locked down and I was told to link my other accounts (I have none). I have a dedicated IP address, so it's not shared.

Poloniex is now telling me to verify my account at level 2. They would like my passport number, pictures of my ID, all of my personal information, all because I use a VPN.

There are 2 things that I understand here, first it's not bad to use a VPN for these services but the bad part of this is that if other people use VPN too then you might have used the same IP as someone else to login in their website which the system sees that there are more than 1 account from the same IP which poloniex does not allow, or you have to link them to have the overall same limit like in one account. What is left is to verify your account, unfortunately, there is no other choice.

I hear ya, and like I said, I understand that Polo may require me to submit my info, it's just infuriating and I want others to be wary.
Isn't the threshold for no verification $2000?

Did you went above this number?

You said a 'fair amount of BTC'...

The threshold for no verification is $2000 daily but in the OP's case there is a mixture because he has logged in with a VPN and that IP might have been used before from another user that has been logged in poloniex too and the system counts it as there are more than one account from the same IP and probably there have been a withdrawal of more than $2000 within a day from these accounts, that's why they asked the OP for verification.
JavaLove

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Streamity Decentralized cryptocurrency exchange

View Profile
March 21, 2017, 02:12:30 AM

That's quite a strange story. I've always trusted Poloniex -- of course with a few grains of salt, as we all should -- but I didn't know they do forced verifications.

In fact, it goes totally against what Bitcoin is supposed to stand for. It's this currency that doesn't require any information to get started yet huge companies force you to give all this personal information away. If it were truly a Bitcoin website, your IP wouldn't matter. Whether regular, TOR, VPN, etc. it should be useless to them.

It just doesn't make sense to me as to why all these big companies feel the need to lock our accounts and make us so unwilling to get them back that we leave our Bitcoin with them. It's theft but in a form that is a lot more complicated than what most might think.

I use a VPN for browsing and I believe that I have traded on Poloniex with that VPN as well. I would like to thank you for warning the Bitcoin community about their dirty tactics. I'll definitely take extra precaution from here on out on the site.

All that I can recommend is contacting their support page regarding the matter. I'd attach this thread to your request because you're a very credible person and thus it is hurting their business greatly if such members are being treated incorrectly as we are very likely to believe you (I know I do).

I'd like to wish you the best of luck!

▄▄  ▄▄                 
            ██  ▀▀  ▀▀   ██           
        ██                   ██

██  ██  ▄▄             
     ██    ██           ▀▀  ▄▄        
                  ███       ▀▀         
   ██    ██   ███      ███     ██     
                          ███         
  ██   ██   ██    ███ ███    ▄▄   ██   
               ███           ▀▀       
  ██   ██  ███           ███  ██   ██ 
                     ███               
    ▄▄  ██    ███ ███     ▄▄  ██   ██ 
    ▀▀    ▄▄              ▀▀           
      ▄▄  ▀▀          ███    ██   ██   
      ▀▀      ██  ███                 
         ██              ███    ███   
             ██  ██  ███              
       ██                    ██       
           ███  ▄▄▄  ▄▄  ███           
                ▀▀▀  ▀▀               

STREAMITY

Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
  Telegram
LinkedIn
Medium
episteme

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 23, 2017, 11:30:07 AM
Last edit: March 23, 2017, 12:18:19 PM by episteme

ok, so it appears that's why they're holding my coins for 3rd day now.

i also use VPN, not to mention i don't always necessarily use the same browser.

if they ask me to verify i do so, withdrawal whatever and would like to have nothing to do with them further.
numismatist
Legendary

Activity: 1245
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 27, 2017, 01:43:40 AM

Poloniex probably run out of nonexistent money for their shitcoin pumps and become next Mt.Gox. Good luck with withdrawals. If they don't have coins "delays" and "security checks" awaiting all users before "hacker attack" appear and they officially go offline.

That's exactly been my thoughts while reading through this. Experienced the same behavior from other exitscamming sites like Mintpal, Cryptsy, ...

savage2k

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 05:15:06 PM

While, I registered an account with them and tried to do Level 2 verification.

After uploading my ID and everything it's been a WEEK and the verification status is still pending.

The replies I got from them are:

"We are experiencing high user volume recently and must ask your patience."
"Your application is in queue and our KYC team will review your profile ASAP" etc.

Even they admit this normally should be done in 72 hours.

No matter how, one WEEK is too long for any platform. I have accounts in a lot major platforms and non of them take more than a couple of days for the verification, mostly are processed within hours.

Hope not seeing anything bad......
vsyc

Activity: 1037
Merit: 253

View Profile
May 15, 2017, 06:31:15 PM

Would like to hear where OP end up

But to continue, here my story: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1917961.new#new

I wait for verification already 2 months, my trading is basically very much affected, withdrawals affected and I get banned on troll box.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: