Bitcoin Forum
May 31, 2024, 12:28:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Creating a blockchain to mainly store data  (Read 612 times)
eule (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 20, 2017, 10:53:29 PM

I am currently playing around with the idea of creating a blockchain to store data in it, be it messages or files or whatever. Just hugely increase the storage space for transaction data and add the data to the tx, right (OP_RETURN in Bitcoin and most Altcoins)?

Do you think it is worthwhile to seriously work on this? In my opinion there are many advantages, the biggest one: The data can not be censored, which is an interesting change from most of the Internet. Upload a file and it will be there forever!

I forked a Cryptonote coin to test if this is even possible, check it out here (Testnet): https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1835332.0

And why has noone tried this yet?

BioMike
Legendary

Activity: 1658
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 20, 2017, 11:12:50 PM

Check out Darcrus (DAR)... token itself is not the chain where it is stored, but the company/developer behind it is utilizing block chain tech to develop applications to store data for companies.
eule (OP)

View Profile
March 20, 2017, 11:16:59 PM

Yeah but it should be as decentralized as possible, is there a better way to securely store really valuable or important stuff than in the blockchain, where it lies forever, constantly verified by countless nodes...  Grin

Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
March 21, 2017, 08:22:58 AM

Ever heard of Bitcoin ?
Heard any complaints about it ?
And you wanna do what now ?  Cheesy

FUD first & ask questions later™
HCLivess
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1090

=== NODE IS OK! ==

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2017, 09:14:07 AM

Bismuth allows you to store data using OpenField easily, no hacks required
The reason why this is not popular are the network throughput limits. Blockchain is not very effective at storing large data as of now.

eule (OP)

View Profile
March 21, 2017, 02:18:38 PM
Last edit: March 21, 2017, 05:37:00 PM by eule

Ever heard of Bitcoin ?
Heard any complaints about it ?
And you wanna do what now ?  Cheesy
25b of data for a huge fee... Surely that can be improved.  Tongue

Bismuth allows you to store data using OpenField easily, no hacks required
The reason why this is not popular are the network throughput limits. Blockchain is not very effective at storing large data as of now.

Looks interesting but cumbersome, will have a closer look. The idea is that "normal" transactions and data transactions fight for the limited space in the block, increasing fees in the process.

edit: Actually it has the wanted funtionality, no clear info about their data limit per tx though.

freigeist

Activity: 1107
Merit: 534

View Profile
March 21, 2017, 04:53:03 PM

Hello.

There are already some coins "technologies" to store data but i do not know
how costly they are.

The list of the coins is as follows:

Storj (aimed for data storage)
Sia (aimed for data storage)
Burst  (hdd mining dont know it it has something to do  with data storage or the HDD is only used to compute some hash calculations)
Qora (has implemented a web server and it has possibility to serve and store
content like decentralized web pages or other data within block chain)

The last one that i remember it has been mentioned on this forum is DataCoin
but don't know if is dead now I haven't heard anything for years.

Maybe you could check some of those existing project and see if you could contribute instead
going from 0.

eule (OP)

View Profile
March 21, 2017, 05:02:47 PM

I did, from what I understand none of these actually store data in the blockchain, the only project trying to do that is Bismuth afaik. I wasn't able to find clear numbers on the data limit per tx however.

I'm not starting from 0, Cryptonote has passed the tests of time and everything seems to come together nicely. There should be another test release later tonight with a working proof of concept.

edit: Quora allows storage of data in the blockchain, no github to quickly check the source code for their data limit though...

CorePrime95

Activity: 190
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 21, 2017, 06:35:49 PM

Byteball does this --> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1608859.0
Hilux74
Legendary

Activity: 912
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 21, 2017, 06:53:23 PM

Datacoin did that back in 2013....
eule (OP)

View Profile
March 21, 2017, 07:25:12 PM

Reading more into Datacoin, you are right: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=325735.0

Totally missed that... Bringing the idea over to a Cryptonote coin has a few advantages still, for example anonymity and rising blocksize.

Should I go on? The other project seems to have died down quite a bit, maybe it was too early. Storage costs have fallen a lot.

Spoetnik
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
March 21, 2017, 07:28:36 PM

Huge fee ? Are you high ?

Why the fuck would someone bother with block chain bullshit when they could use a File Locker service or millions of others.

This idea is fucking retarded.

And i eluded to why too.. an inherent problem.
Good bloody luck guy  Cheesy

EDIT:

http://uploaded.net/register

That shows 4 months of premium service for $25 ..or use free mode LOL
or ? Azure ? or other hosting platforms ? such as Google ?

All of you out there are simply looking for s stupid way to tack shit onto a block-chain like bolting a barbecue to a skateboard  Roll Eyes

lurker10

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 21, 2017, 07:39:09 PM

I am currently playing around with the idea of creating a blockchain to store data in it, be it messages or files or whatever. Just hugely increase the storage space for transaction data and add the data to the tx, right (OP_RETURN in Bitcoin and most Altcoins)?

Do you think it is worthwhile to seriously work on this? In my opinion there are many advantages, the biggest one: The data can not be censored, which is an interesting change from most of the Internet. Upload a file and it will be there forever!

I forked a Cryptonote coin to test if this is even possible, check it out here (Testnet): https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1835332.0

And why has noone tried this yet?

Sure someone has tried.

NXT permits up to 42kB data chunks per block, pruned after 90 days, but stored on and possible to retrieve from the so called archival nodes. Retrieving from archival nodes is free.

https://nxtwiki.org/wiki

eule (OP)

View Profile
March 21, 2017, 07:48:43 PM

Why the fuck would someone bother with block chain bullshit when they could use a File Locker service or millions of others.

EDIT:

All of you out there are simply looking for s stupid way to tack shit onto a block-chain like bolting a barbecue to a skateboard  Roll Eyes

Yeah, a huge fee for 25b of data.

Do you consider any of your listed services censorship-free? Where would Wikileaks upload their files? To uploaded.net or to an uncensorable blockchain?

I don't want to tack shit onto the blockchain, the shit is already there. I just increase the amount of the shit, because I consider it worthwhile.  Tongue

innergy

Activity: 685
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 21, 2017, 10:06:17 PM

Yes it does it!  Cool
Spoetnik
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
March 22, 2017, 12:43:29 AM

EDIT:

All of you out there are simply looking for s stupid way to tack shit onto a block-chain like bolting a barbecue to a skateboard  Roll Eyes

Yeah, a huge fee for 25b of data.

Do you consider any of your listed services censorship-free? Where would Wikileaks upload their files? To uploaded.net or to an uncensorable blockchain?

I don't want to tack shit onto the blockchain, the shit is already there. I just increase the amount of the shit, because I consider it worthwhile.  Tongue

You fail miserably.. you have no defense ..you are being stupid.
Using a Block-Chain is a dumb idea.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: