Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 06:56:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blockchain and Secure by design  (Read 417 times)
PremiumCodeX (OP)

Activity: 1204
Merit: 531

Metaverse 👾 Cyberweapons

View Profile
March 21, 2017, 07:59:29 PM
Last edit: March 21, 2017, 08:14:12 PM by PremiumCodeX

If I am right, blockchain is a DB design that follows the "Secure by Design" guideline.

But we know that in DB development, there is a wider range of possibilities that could be considered "secure".

What makes a blockchain-type of DB more secure than the others?

Will BTC always depend on a blockchain or there is a possibility to get it migrated into a better design?

[TUTORIAL] How to steal $350 000?
Best OS for recovering stolen BTCs.
Visit our FREE Bitcointalk thread.
AgentofCoin
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 21, 2017, 08:18:41 PM

The blockchain was designed for a specific purpose.
If you can determine the purpose, then you can answer your own question.

Comparing the blockchain to a type of database, is really the most basic layer of it.
See Wikipedia for their input: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blockchain

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
Request a signed message if you are associating with anyone claiming to be me.
Jacce

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 21, 2017, 08:22:50 PM

Will BTC always depend on a blockchain or there is a possibility to get it migrated into a better design?

The blockchain is such an integral part of Bitcoin, I cannot realistically see Bitcoin migrating away from it. Without the blockchain, Bitcoin isn't Bitcoin. However, for all we know there could always come another big digital currency that is inspired by Bitcoin in one way or another, but doesn't rely on a blockchain.
PremiumCodeX (OP)

Metaverse 👾 Cyberweapons

View Profile
March 23, 2017, 08:45:14 PM

Comparing the blockchain to a type of database, is really the most basic layer of it.

I was said I could not base a serious research on Wikipedia. In my opinion, Wikipedia is nice and I have personally experienced how much effort/validation it takes to publish any text there, but I cannot help if the scientific society has doubts about it.

Could you suggest any professional article that compares the blockchain type of DB to the others?

Also, the question remains. How probably is it that there will be a more secure design than blockchain soon?

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
March 23, 2017, 08:49:52 PM

If I am right, blockchain is a DB design that follows the "Secure by Design" guideline.

But we know that in DB development, there is a wider range of possibilities that could be considered "secure".

Interesting question.  A blockchain (at least one like Bitcoin) is an open, permissionless network.

What makes it 'more secure' is that each user is solely in control of, and are responsible for their
own private keys, which are a necessary and sufficient condition to perform transactions.

AgentofCoin
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 23, 2017, 08:58:09 PM

I was said I could not base a serious research on Wikipedia. In my opinion, Wikipedia is nice and I have personally experienced how much effort/validation it takes to publish any text there, but I cannot help if the scientific society has doubts about it.

Could you suggest any professional article that compares the blockchain type of DB to the others?

Also, the question remains. How probably is it that there will be a more secure design than blockchain soon?

Yes, Wikipedia is not a scientifically approved cite-able source, but it is the collective
work of the community in an attempt to understand what the blockchain (and Bitcoin) is.
If you look at the bottom of the Wikipedia page, you should be able to find all the sources
they used and as such should be able to guide you toward answering your own questions.
Some of those sources cited will be scientific and etc.

But simply, the difference between a "blockchain" and a "database" comes down to a very
simple aspect: Trust. A blockchain is a DB where no one trusts each other and all parties
can write to the database without causing conflicts to other parties entries.

What is the probability that there will be new system better than the "blockchain" soon?
Not very high, but maybe in the far future it will be replaced with something that is
unimaginable now.

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
Request a signed message if you are associating with anyone claiming to be me.
PremiumCodeX (OP)

Metaverse 👾 Cyberweapons

View Profile
April 08, 2017, 09:22:49 PM

Thank you for your answers! Basically, the most important lesson I learned from this discussion is, we should keep the term "Secure by design" simple. Simplicity helps order and order contributes to security. "Secure by design" may be a big decision, but with common terms it just means the principle that you have to consider security at the level of concept.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: