Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 11:14:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Laptop mining question  (Read 1883 times)
sezecastronomine

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 10:13:42 PM

Yeah itd be out in the open, also I wouldn't trust leaving it out of sight with my coworkers.  Its becoming a tricky thing given the circumstances lol
﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿
id say just screen lock and enable a loud tone to emit on first failed login, then again, this could also work the other way and get you fired if you work with trolls?
Arcteryx

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

EtherSphere - Social Games

View Profile
March 29, 2017, 11:11:39 AM

Yeah itd be out in the open, also I wouldn't trust leaving it out of sight with my coworkers.  Its becoming a tricky thing given the circumstances lol
﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿
id say just screen lock and enable a loud tone to emit on first failed login, then again, this could also work the other way and get you fired if you work with trolls?
But you don't think they will notice a heavy load on their network coming from you mining?
They will track it down to your laptop and then you will get fired.
Haven't you heard of that FBI agent who got caught using the federal bureau of investigation's network and servers for mining a little while ago? He was doing it for years but now they know what bitcoin is all about and everyone and anyone are enough to go to great lengths they are willing to sacrifice their own careers over.
The ones who monitor your network will know what it is now, not like in 2013 when it was just seen as regular "network traffic" and just swiped it off as Nancy just online shopping on multiple sites again. Kiss
You will get caught. There is no doubt about it.
That is unless you work in the I.T department and are the sole one to watch the network traffic and looking for high levels. Cause your co workers will report you to get your position that is if you higher then he is or a friend of theirs on the I.T crew just for your troubles. Wink
Unless you can give them all a cut of that mined coin. Such as hush money for you to keep your job and not reporting your actions to the networking department's director. Cause then it will be his head on the chopping block.

........EtherSphere........
.....ICO Starts on 5th August, 4:00 PM UTC.....
.......High ROI Social Ethereum Games
........BENEFITS WHITEPAPER ANN THREAD GITHUB REDDIT TWITTER........

░░░░░░░░░░░▄██████████████▀░░░░░
░░░░░░░░▄█████████████▀▀░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░▄██████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░██████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░██████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░██████▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░▀███████████████████▄░░░░
░░░░░░░░░▀▀██████████████████▄░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄██████▀░░░
░░░░░░░▄█████████████████▀▀░░░░░
░░░░░▄████████████████▀▀░░░░░░░░......................
sezecastronomine

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 30, 2017, 03:04:16 PM

Yeah itd be out in the open, also I wouldn't trust leaving it out of sight with my coworkers.  Its becoming a tricky thing given the circumstances lol
﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿
But you don't think they will notice a heavy load on their network coming from you mining?
Haven't you heard of that FBI agent who got caught using the federal bureau of investigation's network and servers for mining a little while ago? He was doing it for years but now they know what bitcoin is all about and everyone and anyone are enough to go to great lengths they are willing to sacrifice their own careers over.
The ones who monitor your network will know what it is now, not like in 2013 when it was just seen as regular "network traffic" and just swiped it off as Nancy just online shopping on multiple sites again. Kiss
That is unless you work in the I.T department and are the sole one to watch the network traffic and looking for high levels. Cause your co workers will report you to get your position that is if you higher then he is or a friend of theirs on the I.T crew just for your troubles. Wink
Unless you can give them all a cut of that mined coin. Such as hush money for you to keep your job and not reporting your actions to the networking department's director. Cause then it will be his head on the chopping block.
well yeah, if admins are doing their job, i can't imagine they'd just sit back and keep quiet, unless as you said, their coworker shared the rewards.

can't recall that case.
after the bridges and force ordeal, nothing surprises me anymore Cheesy
Maxumark

Activity: 159
Merit: 108

View Profile
March 30, 2017, 04:05:29 PM

a few points:
1. Mining uses very little network bandwidth. It would be the destination and duration of the connection that would get noticed.
2. Usually its it the large power consumption that gets noticed. But a single laptops power consumption even on 24/7 would not be noticed.
3. If you are trying to accumulate coin it may be much easier just to buy  $5 or $10 Per week.
4. Buy a couple of used multi CPU servers and have them hosted at a DC. You could probably buy 3 or 4 for the cost of that Laptop.
    ColoHub, where I am at, offers hosting for about .08 if you prepay 6 months. 

Good Luck!

Mining LTC and other alts since 2014 when I thought I missed the BTC train.
Ambros

Activity: 653
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 30, 2017, 04:09:51 PM

You can mine from your work without anyone noticing....
If you are scared about it just tunnel the mining traffic through your place at home and tell them that's a synch of a NAS or something, since you use a secure connection that have to believe on your word. If they complain just stop doing it.
Mrbates (OP)

Activity: 546
Merit: 250

Maybe a fed.

View Profile
March 30, 2017, 04:40:29 PM

Yeah itd be out in the open, also I wouldn't trust leaving it out of sight with my coworkers.  Its becoming a tricky thing given the circumstances lol
﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Oh the wifi is for the employees, and we got told we can bring a laptop to work because there is alot of downtime.

So there won't be any issues like that, and either way I still need a laptop just looking to make it multi task.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: