Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 12:33:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Rosewell Rackmount GTX 1080 build  (Read 2026 times)
JaredKaragen (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165

My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2017, 10:21:32 AM

These are AWESOME cases.   Hands down, best bang for the buck.   Tomorrow I am installing my home/Gaming PC into one of these cases.   You can actually properly manage airflow, compared to a typical CPU case.

The machine is as follows:
ASRock H97 Anniversary
Celeron 2.6Ghz cpu
6Gb DDR3
200Gb SSD
Rosewell 4U EATX case
2x EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
1x EVGA GTX 1080 SC
1x PNY GTX 1080 Reference style
1x Dell-OEM GTX 1080 Reference style

My comments about building a miner into the case:
*For the novice/intermediate id suggest sourcing the GPU rack a member here sells.  Eyeballing it all, is a PITA especially when only using hand tools (hacksaw, drill, riveter, etc)
*You have to cut and modify the front assembly that's removed initially (to fit the video cards) to be able to use the front fans the case comes with.  *When I finish modifying this one, I'll post up photos of how I did it using all the OEM case hardware/components and still fit the GPU assembly.
*Be sure to properly insulate and stand-off the risers.  I learned the lesson by riveting them directly to the support bracket.  Shorts to ground suck for diagnosing.
*Always, ALWAYS, install the first card, and get it fully running and hashing;  then add a second, and so-on.  Don't try to do them all at once.  This is doubly so for GPU setups over 2 cards.  You get less driver issues.
*You can't use the intermediate set of fans in the case with larger/longer GPU and power supplies.  The shorter cards (single fan nvidia, or RX series cards) seem to be able to fit behind it.
*It's easy to attach hardware to the casing like rails to screw the GPU's to, just use rivets if you don't need to countersink the bolts for a tight-fitting rack.

After it was up and hashing;  holy crap.  The 1080's put out a LOT of heat.  They began to thermally regulate pretty quick.  The casing needs more airflow (I am working on the fans for the front now) and it's currently running as an open rig.... plus, its not in the data center yet.

Feel free to flame;  the internet is good for that.  I take it rather well Wink

Link to my batch and script resources here.  

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

Donations: 1Q8HjG8wMa3hgmDFbFHC9cADPLpm1xKHQM
Dinmaster

Activity: 34
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 11:17:38 AM
Last edit: March 29, 2017, 11:31:16 PM by Dinmaster

i took a rosewill and did a 280x build three years ago. still running now  Cool your is a different take, i wanted blow fast air so the bar in the middle has 3 fans, 6 total 7000rpm server grade 120mm fans. the backplate was a special manufacturer run plate from china, a guy from another company helped me out alot. the 1080s look cool lots of space good job!

ps never posted a pic hope it works.
JaredKaragen (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2017, 12:31:14 AM

Im jealous of that back panel.   I think i can finagle something like that.  quite a nice way to do it.  Gets airflow sorted very well too (nicer to have it out the back instead of front).

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

cashen

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 29, 2017, 12:41:14 AM

Is there any positive or negative to not using all risers and putting 1 or 2 GPUs on the main board?
JaredKaragen (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2017, 01:18:02 AM

Is there any positive or negative to not using all risers and putting 1 or 2 GPUs on the main board?

the problem is airflow;  the cards want to push the air out of the back of them, so if you have them mounted facing both directions, you are working against that flow with the ones mounted in the mainboard (as one is in this photo).

I need to repair a riser so we can mount that one card with all of the others.  Till then, it sits there;  Its being run open-case with a fan blowing down on it from the top.

Higher flow fans are needed for the front panel.

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

cashen

View Profile
March 29, 2017, 03:15:08 AM

I'm thinking of using this case for 7 MSI RX 470 4GB Gaming X cards. I'd mount 2 on the MB and flip the other 5 and reverse all the fans in the case.

How do you know you need higher flow fans?
JaredKaragen (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2017, 03:51:33 AM

I'm thinking of using this case for 7 MSI RX 470 4GB Gaming X cards. I'd mount 2 on the MB and flip the other 5 and reverse all the fans in the case.

How do you know you need higher flow fans?

With the case closed, the cards were thermally regulating and running hot.  They don't have the CFM.   Simple to replace them.   IDK why they are so weak.

Then again, these are running a higher TDP than a lot of the newer cards;  but... he wanted hash density in the machine;  plus better resale value in the future.  I don't knock that at all.

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

Dinmaster

View Profile
March 29, 2017, 05:20:50 AM

I knew forcing air was the only way with a enclosed case like that. My next project is using a 6 tier shelving unit. 12 cards a row 2 boards. Someone on here is talking about daughter boards so it might be 1 mobo for 12-16 cards. We will see tho.

The idea of enclosed is nice but you can't escape the sound. Unless you build a soundproof box like I did about 5 months ago for that setup in the picture. It works very well and you really only hear the air going in and hot air coming out. I was surprised with the result. I'll have to find the pics
lethax

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 29, 2017, 05:52:03 AM

Here's mine i built, today.

▃▃                             ▃▃                [OFFICIAL WEBSITE          ⬇Download MINEUM client⬇
 █     M I N E U M     █                                                                  Windows   Mac   Linux
▔▔                             ▔▔             BITCOINTALK THREAD
lethax

View Profile
March 29, 2017, 05:55:29 AM

the problem is airflow;  the cards want to push the air out of the back of them, so if you have them mounted facing both directions, you are working against that flow with the ones mounted in the mainboard (as one is in this photo).

I need to repair a riser so we can mount that one card with all of the others.  Till then, it sits there;  Its being run open-case with a fan blowing down on it from the top.

Higher flow fans are needed for the front panel.

I put 3x UltraKaze 120mm 130cfm fans on the front. reversed air flow of the case too. they stay at a steady 73C mining.

▃▃                             ▃▃                [OFFICIAL WEBSITE          ⬇Download MINEUM client⬇
 █     M I N E U M     █                                                                  Windows   Mac   Linux
JaredKaragen (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2017, 09:58:07 AM

I put 3x UltraKaze 120mm 130cfm fans on the front. reversed air flow of the case too. they stay at a steady 73C mining.

Do you have the entire unit closed up with those temps?

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

Dinmaster

View Profile
March 29, 2017, 11:56:14 AM

very nice setup!

as promised the sound box Cheesy

un4given

Activity: 192
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 29, 2017, 12:03:58 PM

very nice setup!

looks like a GPU BBQ Griller to me. the cards are becoming pretty HOT in this enclosure, don't they?
cashen

View Profile
March 29, 2017, 12:21:15 PM

very nice setup!

What is the setup inside? How hot do they get?
Dinmaster

View Profile
March 29, 2017, 11:30:39 PM

in my first reply you can see the insides, i mine zclassic currently and they get to about 73c-78c depending if the door is open or not for the room. my hasrate is 1750 straps unmodified but undervolted (brings power and temps down Cheesy). like i mentioned i have 6 high cfm server fans in and it forces the air through the cards, i didnt pin the card fans to 100%, they run their usual 40ish%. the case fans are doing the work.
cashen

View Profile
March 30, 2017, 03:32:15 AM

in my first reply you can see the insides, i mine zclassic currently and they get to about 73c-78c depending if the door is open or not for the room. my hasrate is 1750 straps unmodified but undervolted (brings power and temps down Cheesy). like i mentioned i have 6 high cfm server fans in and it forces the air through the cards, i didnt pin the card fans to 100%, they run their usual 40ish%. the case fans are doing the work.

Do you know what wattage you pull at the wall?
Dinmaster

View Profile
March 30, 2017, 05:14:58 AM

About 1200w
greaterninja

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 30, 2017, 08:00:24 AM
Last edit: March 30, 2017, 02:58:08 PM by greaterninja

I'm using the rosewill 4000 with 6 x rx 470 cards msi oc.
asrock pro btc 2.0

It seems to be working ok with 1 x 750w rosewill psu
i modified the memory timing and downvolted the gpus by about 97mv.

So far has been running 2 days nonstop with lid on.
lethax

View Profile
April 05, 2017, 02:40:53 AM

Do you have the entire unit closed up with those temps?

yes, it's closed up and gets those temps

PovertyByte

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 05, 2017, 06:01:18 AM

What are the temps in that?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: