Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:36:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you use hdmi dummy plug for your mining rig?  (Read 11595 times)
sikkan

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 11:32:22 AM

I dont. I have built in GPU with CPU and acts as a primary. Running 2 7990 cards + r9 280. resolution via teamviewer is 1600x900.

Didnt need it a few years back either when running a 7850 + 5850 Smiley

▄▀▀▄         ▄▀▀▄
     ▀▄▄▀         ▀▄▄▀              ▄▄
       █           ▐▌           ▄▄▄█  █
       █      ▄▄████████▄▄    ▄█▀   ▀▀
       █▄▄▄▄████████████████▄█▀ 
         ▄██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▄ 
        ██████▀         ▐███████
 ▄▄    ▐█████▌   ▄████▄▄████████▌    ▄▄
█  █▄▄▄███████▄     ▀▀███████████▄▄▄█  █
 ▀▀    ██████████▄▄     ▀████████    ▀▀
       ▐███████▀▀████▀   ▐██████▌
        ██████▌         ▄███████
         ▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████▀
          ▄█████████████████▀▀▀▀█
        ▄█▀   ▀▀████████▀▀      █
       █▀          ▐▌           █
       █            ▀▀▀█        █
      ▄▀▀▄            ▄▀▀▄     ▄▀▀▄
      ▀▄▄▀            ▀▄▄▀     ▀▄▄▀

SOVREN

Blockchain Innovation for Securities Markets      Current STO Sale Price
          Trade. Pay. Borrow. Play.   ─────────────────────        1 SVRN = $1.00

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
                    ▄▄▄██████
              ▄▄▄█████▀▀████▌
        ▄▄▄████████▀ ▄██████
  ▄▄▄██████████▀▀  ▄███████▌
▀███████████▀   ▄██████████
   ▀▀▀███▀    ▄███████████▌
        █▌  ██████████████
        ▐█ ██████████████▌
         █████▀ ▀████████
          ██▀      ▀████▌
                      ▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nbruce

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2017, 10:26:08 AM

I'm running 6 x 4 card rigs, mostly rx470 with 1 rig on rx580. About half the rigs boot fine with no monitor or dummy plug.  The rest need something plugged in to boot. This is odd because the rigs are identical boards ram and cpu. I have one rx580 card that boots and runs fine for around 10 hours then drops to around 4mh. It has nothing plugged in when this happens.  Trying to see how long it lasts with a monitor at present.  Also swapped from claymore to ethminer just in case claymore is the problem. May have to get some dummies on order.
BitcoinEXpress
Legendary

Activity: 1210
Merit: 1024

View Profile
July 12, 2017, 03:23:09 AM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

A much cheaper method is to simple place a 75 ohm resistor between C1-C5 (analog red - analog ground), or C2-C5 (green - ground), or C3-C5 (blue - ground) directly to the card.

The resistor leads fit perfectly.

I have done this for years.

Works like a charm.

Takes about 5 seconds.

~BCX~

Direct link to diagram if pic above isn't working

http://i66.tinypic.com/2z9kw7r.png
preda

Activity: 756
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 12, 2017, 07:02:34 AM

With nvidia cards and intel you don't need plug hdmi cause you can use internal gpu and you can use msi afterburner perfectly

With amd processor is not possible cause of they have not internal gpu

With intel cpu and amd cards you can use internal gpu but you can't use msi afterburner it won't read your amd cards properly so... best solution for not spending money is intel + nvidia cards!😉

I bought some fake hdmi on Amazon 20 euro so it's cheaper anyway.
agtprvctr

Activity: 10

View Profile
August 08, 2017, 03:55:45 PM

I currently have a rig with Asrock BTC Pro 2.0 and 6x Dell RX 480 (reference?) cards. Do I only need one dummy HDMI plug for the card that's plugged (via riser) into the x16 slot, or need to buy six dummy plugs?
ph1102

Activity: 52

View Profile
August 08, 2017, 03:56:51 PM

I currently have a rig with Asrock BTC Pro 2.0 and 6x Dell RX 480 (reference?) cards. Do I only need one dummy HDMI plug for the card that's plugged (via riser) into the x16 slot, or need to buy six dummy plugs?

you need only one
greatauror28

Activity: 181
Merit: 101

Ethereum Miner

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 09:24:51 PM

About to build my 2nd rig tomorrow.

Currently, I have a monitor connected to my 1st rig. Can I just pull out the DVI plug out of the GPU, while miner is still running? Won't that freeze/crash or introduce anything unexpected to my rig?

While i'm at it, i'm using 6x Rx 580s. In your experience, will I be needing a dummy plug for my cards for them to run and hash properly?

Thanks for whoever that answers!

Because if not, i'd be buying an hdmi plug from amazon but it won't be here till Monday.

I build and sell rigs! I also sell ssd clones of the most stable Windows+Claymore+AMD driver combo you'd ever used.
CarlOrff

Activity: 826
Merit: 440

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 09:43:36 PM

https://rumorscity.com/2013/12/06/how-to-create-dummy-plugs-for-your-graphics-cards/

Says you should.

I notice that my asrock BTC won't boot if not connected to monitor. I need only 1 monitor for the whole mining rig though.

So I just want to make sure.
With my ASRock BTC, I have never use a dummy plug.
But I use nVidia cards.
It seems dummy plug was used only for previous generations of AMD GPUs.
With ASRock BTC and nVidia, you plug you screen directly to the motherboard.

Bitcoin + privacy respect = BitcoinZ (topic BitcoinZ)
The only decentralized crypto that complements Bitcoin on privacy.
You missed Bitcoin in 2009 ? Do not miss BitcoinZ in 2018 !
Boriss

Activity: 728
Merit: 115

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2018, 07:41:26 AM

I know this topic is old but I have situations where one Nvidia card hashing only 50%  if there is nothing connected to HDMI.
Win10, latest Nvidia drivers, MBO is Asus mining expert with iGPU enabled and set as primary.

I have plugged in monitor directly on HDMI port on MBO and hashing is at 100% as it should be.
crazydane

Activity: 558
Merit: 194

View Profile
July 19, 2018, 09:47:33 AM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

If you're running Windows and using the mobo graphics (IGD), running a dummy plug (or having a monitor connected to the mobo DVI/HDMI port), ensures that Windows itself will use the internal graphics for the desktop, and not steal resources from one of the GPU's used for mining.

If you RDP to a rig @ 4k, you can easily observe the hash rate dropping on one of your GPU's if the desktop is not being rendered by the IGD.  Not a big deal if you have your rig set to auto log in and start mining and keep an eye on things pool side, and/or use something like Awesome Miner to monitor.  But if you like to keep a RDP session going and monitor the rig that way, it makes sense to force the desktop to use the IGP.  RDP'ing at a lower resolution like 1280x1024 doesn't have as much impact as doing it at 4k.
Boriss

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2018, 10:21:36 AM

If you're running Windows and using the mobo graphics (IGD), running a dummy plug (or having a monitor connected to the mobo DVI/HDMI port), ensures that Windows itself will use the internal graphics for the desktop, and not steal resources from one of the GPU's used for mining.

If you RDP to a rig @ 4k, you can easily observe the hash rate dropping on one of your GPU's if the desktop is not being rendered by the IGD.  Not a big deal if you have your rig set to auto log in and start mining and keep an eye on things pool side, and/or use something like Awesome Miner to monitor.  But if you like to keep a RDP session going and monitor the rig that way, it makes sense to force the desktop to use the IGP.  RDP'ing at a lower resolution like 1280x1024 doesn't have as much impact as doing it at 4k.

Ok, but how to force windows to use iGPU?
On hardware level I can just plug monitor or Dummy plug, how to set it on software level so I don't have to use any dummy plug?
FFI2013

Activity: 906
Merit: 507

View Profile
July 19, 2018, 11:04:20 AM

When I was running win 10 and want to remote desktop in I was using dummy plugs cause the screen size sucked but I stopped using them because one of my gpu's that had the dummy plug burnt out so I got nervous and removed them from my rigs now I'm running hiveos and it's stable been running for months with no issues rigs crashing or win somehow sneaking in a upgrade after I had it disabled, I wish Microsoft would give us back control of our pc's without going through a bunch of crap to disable updates
crazydane

Activity: 558
Merit: 194

View Profile
July 19, 2018, 11:40:02 AM

Ok, but how to force windows to use iGPU?
On hardware level I can just plug monitor or Dummy plug, how to set it on software level so I don't have to use any dummy plug?

I'm not aware of a way to force is short of using a monitor, dummy plug or kvm.  I sure wish there was a way.  I'm running Nvidia cards btw, not AMD.  So there is no resolution restriction, just the hit on the GPU windows decides to use for the RDP session.

You would think that by setting the BIOS to only use IGD (as opposed to Auto or PEG), the OS would be forced to use the on-board graphics, but that is not how it works, unfortunately.
Boriss

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2018, 01:34:19 PM

When I was running win 10 and want to remote desktop in I was using dummy plugs cause the screen size sucked but I stopped using them because one of my gpu's that had the dummy plug burnt out so I got nervous and removed them from my rigs now I'm running hiveos and it's stable been running for months with no issues rigs crashing or win somehow sneaking in a upgrade after I had it disabled, I wish Microsoft would give us back control of our pc's without going through a bunch of crap to disable updates

Are u sure that your card burned because of dummy plug in the first place?
damba_

Activity: 150
Merit: 3

View Profile
July 20, 2018, 04:06:27 PM

My rig was running fine for months without hdmi dummy plug and after Windows 10 updated to version 1709, it stopped.
First gpu started to hash 0 mh/s so I had to buy cheap hdmi dummy plug.
After I pluged it in, it works fine now.
I was wondering, how come gpu could work without hdmi dummy plug before, and after windows updated it can only run with hdmi dummy plug?
I used same drivers before and after windows update.
Gpus are rx 470 4gb.
VasilyS

Activity: 618
Merit: 21

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2018, 06:36:07 PM

It is necessary to use with AMD cards. Usually miners are working better and no problems with temperature and fan control of GPU.

❱  CRYPTOPROFI  ❱
ala12uk

Activity: 16
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 01, 2019, 04:48:38 PM

My rig was running fine for months without hdmi dummy plug and after Windows 10 updated to version 1709, it stopped.
I was wondering, how come gpu could work without hdmi dummy plug before, and after windows updated it can only run with hdmi dummy plug?
Gpus are rx 470 4gb.

i am wondering if you have ever got an answer for your question?
because i also face the same issue
few rigs run perfectly well for one year, and after some windows updates they require this plug
why is that? and how can i make it to work just like it did for a whole year without having to buy 15 dummies for 15 rigs?
uninstalling the update will not help, because windows will reinstall it FORCEFULLY without asking for your permission, even when you have Windows Pro (you can disable it ONLY for 30 days)
sxemini

Activity: 1558
Merit: 69

View Profile
March 14, 2019, 09:10:19 AM

Gpus are rx 470 4gb.

i am wondering if you have ever got an answer for your question?
because i also face the same issue
few rigs run perfectly well for one year, and after some windows updates they require this plug
why is that? and how can i make it to work just like it did for a whole year without having to buy 15 dummies for 15 rigs?
uninstalling the update will not help, because windows will reinstall it FORCEFULLY without asking for your permission, even when you have Windows Pro (you can disable it ONLY for 30 days)

You can deactivate the Windows10 update completly, you only must find the right option in windows for this  Wink My rigs make no update for around 1,5 years.
But i think, buy a hdmi dummy, it is better in every case and sorry you have 15 rigs and a hdmi dummy is to expensive? 2$ for 1 so 30$ is to much? EPIC FAIL
huntingthesnark

Activity: 357
Merit: 26

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2019, 02:06:36 PM

I have a handful of dummy plugs (UK) if anybody needs. I always found it depended on the MB and how the bios was set, also if you use Win10 or Linux, but they do come in handy.

For the latest Crypto news and alts info check out https://coinsjar.info/
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: