Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 01:20:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICBOOST Aftermath: What Now Must Be Done?  (Read 3784 times)
numismatist
Legendary

Activity: 1245
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 06:19:19 PM

Can't the exploit be fixed without Segwit getting activated?
This can be taken care of in the next upgrade, without getting into the Segwit vs BU debate.
Reasonable, since these are really three different things. A mining exploit is not exactly the same as the current war.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 06:28:47 PM

The problem here isn't ASICBOOST. The problem is that Jihan Wu (and others) are actively blocking SegWit for their own personal gain, while pretending that it is a difference in principle and they are acting to help us all.

sorry to burst your bubble but ASICS have been around alot longer than segwit has.

trying to assume that asics were hard programmed to actively attack segwit is like blaming a caveman for something invented much much later.

let me guess Jihan has a time machine and seen october 2016's segwit code and and went back in time to 2015 and started building the blueprints for the s9 specifically to hurt segwit

p.s im using gmaxwells assumptions of reverse engineering a chip... (before you propaganda twist it into being about software)
afterall ur all complaining about bitmain (hardware company) not CGminer (software company)

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
andron8383

Activity: 333
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 07:32:42 PM

trying to assume that asics were hard programmed to actively attack segwit is like blaming a caveman for something invented much much later.

Hey but network is not builded to serve miners but users.
Mines are users servant not other way.
Users needs miners to secure network and miners want money form users.
Whole drama of greed and go on lead to nowhere only BTC is surfering becouse one single company is running proof of half work asics...
This is so BS from bitmain... people didn't belived that miners would not hut BTC becouse in their interest is helping BTC and gues what happeed. As i predicted allways monopoly leads to point where that one singe entity want your money. As BTC users we shuld start UASF and activate segwit at like 60% i don't give fuck to bitmain farms they don't give a shit to BTC future so i don't give a shit to their future.
Let them mine their BU china coin and be happy.
One miner One Party One China...
Alex.BTC

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 07:49:02 PM
Last edit: April 06, 2017, 08:31:12 PM by Alex.BTC

I see we have our new "Blockstream's lie of the week", this time the enemy is the ASICs, again.

Looks like the block extension proposal really fucked Blockstream big time.
It is simple and it solves immediate blocksize problems.

What's even better is that the Block Extension is "party neutral" so Blockstream can't even go against it by bashing the BU strawman, so they needed to create another enemy to distract people for another week, they ran out of excuses so they recycled the same excuse they used to push for a hard fork last year:

https://twitter.com/olivierjanss/status/731198742968291329
Olivier Janssens‏ @olivierjanss: Note to miners: We, the core devs, discovered a patented optimization in your ASIC. We will make it obsolete in the next update. Thank you.

It didn't work then, it doesn't work now.

If you're a newbie all you need to know is every time people from Blockstream open their mouth, it's a lie. Blockstream spent millions on SegWit, they have a deadline coming, but their walls are crumbling and even devs from LN are going against them now.

The good thing about this ASICboost bullshit is that it makes it so obvious who the paid shills are on this forum. These dumb fucks are paid to jump to conclusion with zero facts, all you need to do is ask them for prove, then they break down and disappear (the stupid ones argue back and make their shilling look even more obvious).
andron8383

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 07:59:06 PM

The good thing about this ASICboost bullshit is that it makes it so obvious who the paid shills are on this forum.

Bla bla bla...
After year China exploited miners took 70% of network and one single company control network this is Bitmain.
So as you see such drama ends here where bitmain hav no competition and calling BTC as decentralized in mining is fucking joke.
What is more funy that company blocks any solution that harm their patented tech for cheating.
Support more BU and you will end with ETH taking over cryptocurreny.
Eth have centralized network arround Vitalik - dev
BTC is centralized arround one asic manufacturer - bitmain

Investor will chose ?:
a) best tech
b) best asic manufacturer
- Sure all love bitmain like Google Aple Microsoft... give them all power.

Bitmain killed others using exploit in code Smiley nice... but it is time for network strike back and make USAF and tell him fuck off that is enough. If ater people won't like segwit then we can softfork it to another shape.
Today bitmain dominance is only damaging bitcoin.
But don't worry free market works people will support ETH miners more than BTC miners.
Today ETH miners earn 80% of that what BTC gets and numbers will rise over time till BU is blocking progress.
BU progress in unlimited blocks is joke -  gives bitmain BIG ADVANTAGE.
We can call BU BitmainCoin it would be more accurate name.
Blockonomics.co

Activity: 19

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2017, 07:59:53 PM

The problem here isn't ASICBOOST. The problem is that Jihan Wu (and others) are actively blocking SegWit for their own personal gain, while pretending that it is a difference in principle and they are acting to help us all.

sorry to burst your bubble but ASICS have been around alot longer than segwit has.

let me guess Jihan has a time machine and seen october 2016's segwit code and and went back in time to 2015 and started building the blueprints for the s9 specifically to hurt segwit

p.s im using gmaxwells assumptions of reverse engineering a chip... (before you propaganda twist it into being about software)
afterall ur all complaining about bitmain (hardware company) not CGminer (software company)

I fail to understand your comparison. I have never claimed that ASICs are programmed to attack SegWit.
I am pointing out the fact that Jihan Wu is lying about his intentions on why he is against SegWit. He is against SegWit because there is a significant economic interest for him.

For your information, I never stated that Jihan Wu is a time traveller. Also, CGMiner is not a software company.
Alex.BTC

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 08:03:41 PM
Last edit: April 06, 2017, 08:17:22 PM by Alex.BTC

The problem here isn't ASICBOOST. The problem is that Jihan Wu (and others) are actively blocking SegWitc for their own personal gain, while pretending that it is a difference in principle and they are acting to help us all.

The problem is you shills need to tell your handler to write you better PR scripts, your scripts are getting more and more moronic by the minute.

The arguments coming from you shill's mouth are so fucking idiotic, why the fuck aren't you people even fired from the PR team? If I run a PR campaign and I see staffs making stupid arguments like this, they'll be fired immediately.

Some facts:
1. Jihan supported SegWit in the HK agreement, it was Greg that broke it.
2. Now Jihan is supporting Ext Blocks, which is incompatible with ASICBoost, the 'exploit' he was accused of using.
3. Core devs have zero proof Jihan is using ASICBoost in production. (Is the any evidence of ANYONE using ASICBOOST?)
4. Facts indicate Jihan/AntPool isn't using ASICBoost at all: (If the shuffling of transactions is required for ASICBOOST to work, I don’t see any evidence that AntPool uses it)
5. In recent blocks, about 14% of AntPool's income come from fees.
6. Greg's math is wrong, again. Bitmain: Regarding Recent Allegations and Smear Campaigns

And here is the kicker, wait for it: Everyone expects miners to work for their own gain, that's how Bitcoin was designed to work.

pinger
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin - Resistance is futile

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2017, 08:04:56 PM

Thanks for the summary of the situation, but why so much price increase?

For those who've missed it:

https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2017-April/013996.html

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/mining-manufacturer-blocking-segwit-benefit-asicboost/

Summary of the situation: Bitmain has been producing and mining with ASICs using an exploit that gives them a dramatic advantage over competing miners. This exploit is incompatible with Segwit, so Bitcoin Unlimited was created to gin up the appearance of public opposition to Core and place monopoly control over bitcoin mining and the protocol in the hands of Bitmain and associates.

The exploit also incentivizes miners to mine empty blocks, which has aggravated the TX bottleneck situation and contributed to high fees.

While they have been exposed, it is not clear to me that there is any reason they will be shut down in the near term. In other words a conspiracy has been unmasked, but not defeated.

ISSUE: ASICBOOST provides a ~30% mining advantage over non-ASICBOOST miners.

For rent
andron8383

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 08:05:19 PM

I am pointing out the fact that Jihan Wu is lying about his intentions on why he is against SegWit. He is against SegWit because there is a significant economic interest for him.

And we should cut this shit of train now before it will be to big to fail...
WHEN Jihad will have 100% mining power and many $$$ to bribe lady gaga he will realese 21m limit and you can do anything about it. We need make UASF and move forward and let him join or keep his great BU coin.
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 08:06:35 PM

If you're a newbie all you need to know is everytime people from Blockstream open their mouth, it's a lie.

Does this imply that everything that comes out of your mouth is the truth?

Not to mention that ASICBOOST is not something that Bitmain patented.

All you have done in your post is accuse people in favour of SegWit to be "paid shills". This, in turn, would make people against BU think that you yourself are a paid shill. Why cause all the drama? Can't we just have a civil discussion on why we are in favour of one proposal and not the other?
alyssa85
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 08:10:22 PM

lol

i didnt see people crying when an AMD CPU had an advantage vs a Intel CPU
i didnt see people crying when an ATI GPU had an advantage vs a Geforce GPU

but all of a sudden "bomb ASICS coz gmaxwell says so"

why the sudden bomb threats and deadlines and blackmails..
is the $70m debt recovery process coming soo soon?

Everyone in this situation is acting for personal gain. Everyone.

The last person who was acting for the good of the community was Gavin, but he stepped away several years ago, and we are where we are.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit InvestBox.|.BUY X10 AND EARN 10% DAILY.🏆
Alex.BTC

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 08:12:48 PM

If your IQ is below 50, yeah.

All you have done in your post is accuse people in favour of SegWit to be "paid shills". This, in turn, would make people against BU think that you yourself are a paid shill. Why cause all the drama?
So you don't like it when someone else beat you at your own games? My points are backed by facts, the shills kept using arguments are completely fucking retarded, proven wrong over and over again by facts, but they ignored them and just kept spewing the same moronic bullshits for months.

I find it hard to believe anyone can really stay that stupid for that long, unless it's their job to stay stupid.

Can't we just have a civil discussion on why we are in favour of one proposal and not the other?

We have them, just not in this thread, this thread is just another bullshit shill script. 1000 words smearing attempt base on something Bitmain didn't even use.

Only a complete dumb fuck would accuse Jihan of blocking SegWit due to ASICBoost, when ASICBoost doesn't even work on Ext Blocks, which Jihan also support. When you're dealing with this level of weaponized idiocracy, 'discussion' was already over the moment they opened their mouths.

byt411

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 08:17:44 PM

This is exactly what I mean. You have simply resorted to insults.

All you have done in your post is accuse people in favour of SegWit to be "paid shills". This, in turn, would make people against BU think that you yourself are a paid shill. Why cause all the drama?
So you don't like it when someone else beat you at your own games? My points are backed by facts, their arguments are completely fucking retarded, proven wrong over and over again by facts, they just keep spewing the same moronic bullshits for months.

I find it hard to believe anyone can really stay that stupid for that long, unless it's their job to stay stupid.

Can't we just have a civil discussion on why we are in favour of one proposal and not the other?

We have them, just not in this thread, this thread is just another bullshit shill script. 1000 words smearing attempt base on something Bitmain didn't even do.

It seems to me that you are also accusing me of being a shill, when I have never expressed my viewpoint on this debate. I am merely exhausted from all of the infighting within the bitcoin community, and I'd prefer things to me negotiated in an amicable way, instead of calling each other retarded.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 08:21:29 PM

Everyone in this situation is acting for personal gain. Everyone.

The last person who was acting for the good of the community was Gavin, but he stepped away several years ago, and we are where we are.

Do you have any facts to support both of your baseless assertions?

When one looks at Gavin's recent despicable behaviour, it's fairly clear that he was concealing a highly biased and bullying nature.

Why would a self-proclaimed free-marketeer, as Gavin Andresen does claim of himself, advocate brute force to remove competition from the marketplace? That's not acting in the community's interest, that's acting in the interest of the minority clique who wished to take the reins of Bitcoin for themselves.

Vires in numeris
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 08:22:35 PM

It seems to me that you are also accusing me of being a shill, when I have never expressed my viewpoint on this debate. I am merely exhausted from all of the infighting within the bitcoin community, and I'd prefer things to me negotiated in an amicable way, instead of calling each other retarded.

Negotiated...yeah...

Gavin's original 8mb blocks...Core didnt like it

HK agreement...Core didnt like it

Flexcap/ABC... Core didnt like it

more recently:

2mb/segwit...Core didnt like it

extension blocks...Core didnt like it

EC patch on core...Core didnt like it

Do you see the pattern -- Core duddnt like nuttin but Greg's roadmap... This makes negotiation a little tough, dont you think?

Alex.BTC

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 08:24:15 PM

I am describing what I am seeing, a bunch of stupid fucks agreeing to an obvious smear campaign base on something the other guy didn't even fucking do.

When people keep making idiotic statements where the stats don't check out, the facts don't check out, the historic facts are ignored, even fucking common sense is ignored, these people are by definition fucking morons.

You don't negotiate when the other idiot keep repeating 1+1=3, if he's simply uninformed, fine, learn the truth and move on, but when the same facts have already been explained over and over again, and they keep repeating the same bullshit, that is not a discussion, that is a shill operation, and shills deserve to be trashed for spreading bullshit nonstop.
byt411

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 08:26:34 PM

Negotiated...yeah...

well there was the 2mb/segwit...Core didnt like it

extension blocks...Core didnt like it

EC patch on core...Core didnt like it

Do you see the pattern -- Core duddnt like nuttin but Greg's roadmap... This makes negotiation a little tough, dont you think?

Extension Blocks is something new; I think we should give them a bit more time on that. I understand what you mean with the others, but I still think that we should work towards those goals, and not create a civil war amongst ourselves. I think we all want Bitcoin to thrive and suceed.
byt411

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 08:29:11 PM

I am describing what I am seeing, a bunch of stupid fucks agreeing to an obvious smear campaign base on something the other guy didn't even fucking do.

When people keep making idiotic statements where the stats don't check out, the facts don't check out, the historic facts are ignored, even fucking common sense is ignored, these people are by definition fucking morons.

You don't negotiate when the other idiot keep repeating 1+1=3, if he's simply uninformed, fine, learn the truth and move on, but when the same facts have already been explained over and over again, and they keep repeating the same bullshit, that is not a discussion, that is a shill operation, and shills deserve to be trashed for spreading bullshit nonstop.

Let me rephrase:

I personally have never said or accused or agreed to any accusation that BITMAIN is employing ASICBOOST for any purpose. Please do not accuse me of being a shill.

I am just chiming in to express my opinion on how divided the bitcoin community is, nothing else.
ebliever (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 08:31:37 PM

I see we have our new "Blockstream's lie of the week", this time the enemy is the ASICs, again.

If you are referring to my proposal to decentralize mining again, I'm not in ANY way connected with Blockstream, or Core or anything. Not so much as a single PM shared with a Core dev ever, for example. You are just railing against an average member of the bitcoin community with your tirade.

Your side has lost, and is just digging a deeper hole for itself with every new denial, lie and obfuscation. I encourage newbies and those who have not followed this issue closely to read all that BU has to say - and also what the rest of us have to say, the reporting in the media and so forth. I rather doubt you'll be happy with their reaction once "Joe Average" digests it all.

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 08:31:49 PM

I still think that we should work towards those goals, and not create a civil war amongst ourselves. I think we all want Bitcoin to thrive and suceed.

I try every day to have civil discussions based on facts.  I don't always succeed, sometimes I lose my cool.

I don't know if its paid shilling, non-paid shilling or brainwashing, but its very frustrating to try
to have the dialogue.

For example, the Lightening Network still requires large blocks (it says that in the whitepaper).
But you have people arguing against bigger blocks and for LN, and just repeating the
same thing over and over like Alex is talking about.

There's a few people that I disagree with but I can still have a conversation
with and then there's a lot of shills/idiots.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: