Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 08:56:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: it is Core, not Bitman blocking segwit  (Read 5364 times)
jonald_fyookball (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
April 07, 2017, 12:40:28 PM

found this on r/btc: "Bitmain signed the HK agreement and we support SegWit as long as there is a block size bump up hard fork. So it cannot claim that Bitmain is against SegWit.”
---

I now expect Core shills to complain about a HF.  HF aren't bad if everyone agrees on the change...
guess what, the only people against 2mb/segwit is Core.

By everyone you mean Chinese miners? if hard fork with 95% consensus it's fine if soft fork with 75% consensus it's fine but changing protocol as soon as you reach 51%+ hash power it's not fine. instead of dying from the shame of mining with a significant advantage over others now you guys are distracting all the attentions away from asicboost?

Who wouldn't support 2mb/segwit except people that say "cores roadmap is the only one"

stop trolling.  asicboost is the distraction away from scaling debate and meaningful proposals like extension blocks.

Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
glub0x
Legendary

Activity: 892
Merit: 1013

View Profile
April 07, 2017, 12:53:09 PM

Then let's implement the anti asicboost bip and then see what changes it brings in the community,
If it is a "distraction", it won't change anything and we will only loose a few weeks. Otherwise it might bring consensus all at once on something.

Do not misunderstand me i think we should have bigger block, yet this "distraction" looks like a real threat to me.

The cost of mediation increases transaction costs, limiting the
minimum practical transaction size and cutting off the possibility for small casual transactions

Satoshi Nakamoto : https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2017, 12:56:02 PM

It must be nice drinking that kool-aid, or should I say receiving that fat check mister jonald? Roll Eyes This statement by Bitmain is completely nonsensical, in a way that they are trying to distract you from the truth.

ASICBoost is being used by Antpool: https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/63yo27/some_circumstantial_evidence_supporting_the_claim/dfy5o65/

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
jonald_fyookball (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2017, 01:01:50 PM

It must be nice drinking that kool-aid, or should I say receiving that fat check mister jonald? Roll Eyes This statement by Bitmain is completely nonsensical, in a way that they are trying to distract you from the truth.

ASICBoost is being used by Antpool: https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/63yo27/some_circumstantial_evidence_supporting_the_claim/dfy5o65/

Even if they are using it, I don't see how this is relevant to the scaling debate.  Let's say in a hypothetical scenario, they say "ok you caught us, we've
been using it.  But we have the patent and its our right, we still support segwit+2mb or extension block"... so core devs can block asicboost, dont block it,
it doesnt matter... we're no closer to a solution.   don't tell me you think the rest of the miners are going to suddenly love and support SF segwit in that case?

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2017, 01:07:26 PM

Even if they are using it, I don't see how this is relevant to the scaling debate. 
Obviously it is very much related. Segwit would prevent them from using it covertly, which is what they have been doing (even though they are denying it).

Let's say in a hypothetical scenario, they say "ok you caught us, we've been using it.  But we have the patent and its our right, we still support segwit+2mb or extension block"...
There is nothing indicating that they really support/want "SW + 2MB". This was just used as a deflecting statement due the recent outing.

so core devs can block asicboost, dont block it, it doesnt matter... we're no closer to a solution.   don't tell me you think the rest of the miners are going to suddenly love and support SF segwit in that case?
Segwit is the short term solution. Nothing is indicating that it would be inadequate. Please do not tell me that you'd be willing to accept a coin where mr. Jihan (and/or his partners) control the direction in which the coin is going. It seems that UASF is the only way to break out of the ASICBoost covert abuse & SW blocking by Jihan. What ever happened to the Segwit + EC implementation?

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
jonald_fyookball (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2017, 01:17:34 PM

Even if they are using it, I don't see how this is relevant to the scaling debate.
Obviously it is very much related. Segwit would prevent them from using it covertly, which is what they have been doing (even though they are denying it).

Let's say in a hypothetical scenario, they say "ok you caught us, we've been using it.  But we have the patent and its our right, we still support segwit+2mb or extension block"...
There is nothing indicating that they really support/want "SW + 2MB". This was just used as a deflecting statement due the recent outing.

so core devs can block asicboost, dont block it, it doesnt matter... we're no closer to a solution.   don't tell me you think the rest of the miners are going to suddenly love and support SF segwit in that case?
Segwit is the short term solution. Nothing is indicating that it would be inadequate. Please do not tell me that you'd be willing to accept a coin where mr. Jihan (and/or his partners) control the direction in which the coin is going. It seems that UASF is the only way to break out of the ASICBoost covert abuse & SW blocking by Jihan. What ever happened to the Segwit + EC implementation?

You didn't answer my question at all... I'll restate it another way: Regardless of whether you think its related, or what they support, or whether anything was deflected,
how would anything change in the scaling debate even if they did admit they were using asicboost?

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2017, 01:20:32 PM

You didn't answer my question at all... I'll restate it another way: Regardless of whether you think its related, or what they support, or whether anything was deflected,
how would anything change in the scaling debate even if they did admit they were using asicboost?
It doesn't change much besides seeing the malicious incentives for blocking protocol upgrades. Therefore, you as a rational (assumption) individual along with other rational individuals would condemn their behavior. This should lead to miners switching pools and the economy making a stronger push towards other methods of upgrading (as mentioned, UASF). Regardless of whether you support Core, BU, SW, EC, or something else, you should never condone what Antpool was/is doing.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Paashaas
Legendary

Activity: 3424
Merit: 4344

View Profile
April 07, 2017, 01:25:34 PM

Wauw, so many people tried explaining all kind off things but Jonald keeps putting his fingers in his ears..

Is he really not open to others opinion? his vision seems to be the only one and nothing else Undecided
jonald_fyookball (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2017, 01:30:13 PM
Last edit: April 07, 2017, 01:48:08 PM by jonald_fyookball

It doesn't change much

Glad we agree on that.

Therefore, you as a rational (assumption) individual along with other rational individuals would condemn their behavior.

IF it can be proven they have been using it while claiming they weren't, I would say that is dishonest and deceitful and harmful to Bitcoin, absolutely.   They secured a patent and wrote functions to use it, but there is no actual proof (such as transaction re-ordering) that they have been using it.  They may have merely prepared to use defensively if other miners started using it.  The fact that they did agree in the HK to segwit+8mb or segwit+4b whatever it was plus the fact that Jihan said (before this 'scandal') that he supports extension blocks (also incompatible with asicboost) supports the idea that they indeed haven't been using it.  Also my understanding from reading a r/bitcoin thread is that it requires a pool to allow and there's no evidence of antpool or any other pool allowing it.

Anyway , I would support a BIP to block asicboost generally speaking.  Not really that interested in further debate on it.   Have a good weekend.

jonald_fyookball (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2017, 01:36:15 PM

Wauw, so many people tried explaining all kind off things but Jonald keeps putting his fingers in his ears..

Is he really not open to others opinion? his vision seems to be the only one and nothing else Undecided

Wauw, all kinds of people are trolling and shilling....

Fact is, I'm open to many scaling proposals:

Bitcoin Original
Bitcoin Classic
Bitcoin Unlimited
Lightening Network
Bitcoin CoreEC
Flexcap
Extension Blocks

I would even compromise with Segwit-HF + bigger blocks.

Core Devs and their supporters seem to be the ones unwilling to be open to others opinion and unwilling to compromise.

Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
April 07, 2017, 01:42:46 PM

Wauw, all kinds of people are trolling and shilling....

Fact is, I'm open to many scaling proposals:

Bitcoin Original
Bitcoin Classic
Bitcoin Unlimited
Lightening Network
Bitcoin CoreEC
Flexcap
Extension Blocks

hmmmm..... except those are all capacity change proposals, not scaling proposals. Who's the sh(r)ill troll, jonald fyookball?

Vires in numeris
glub0x
Legendary

Activity: 892
Merit: 1013

View Profile
April 07, 2017, 01:47:45 PM

If we stop them using asicboost, they still have some substantial money invested in bitcoin mining.
So the second after asicboost is rendered useless, they might change their opinion and seek diferent consensus. This is very relevent.

2m+segwit, why not? But what i understood is that it would not stop asicboost to work...
So why not bip anti asicboost and then see if 2mb + segwit get traction ?

The cost of mediation increases transaction costs, limiting the
minimum practical transaction size and cutting off the possibility for small casual transactions

Satoshi Nakamoto : https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
LittleBitFunny

Activity: 1428
Merit: 129

The first decentralized crypto betting platform

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2017, 01:48:40 PM

Core won't even compromise to 2mb/segwit, which
probably could get consensus.  
You're right, they won't, which is why it's an interesting coincidence that Bitmain would support SegWit only in the circumstances which you believe won't happen.  They're taking advantage of Core's unwillingness to compromise by implying that they would support SegWit in other situations.

Killerpotleaf

Activity: 812
Merit: 250

A Blockchain Mobile Operator With Token Rewards

View Profile
April 07, 2017, 01:57:07 PM

some devs have found a clever hack which they can use to make BTC TX and NOT pay miners a TX fee
we should enact a USHF to prevent this hack from being exploited, the security model of bitcoin itself is in jeopardy!!

███
             █████
            ███████
           █████████
          ███████████
         █████████████
        ███████ ███████
       ███████   ███████
      ███████     ███████
     ███████       ███████
    ███████         ███████
   ███████           ███████
  ███████             ███████
 █████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
M!RACLE TELE
BRINGING MAGIC
TO THE TELECOM INDUSTRY

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
40% Biweekly Rewards
▬▬▬   Calls at €0.2   ▬▬▬
Traffic from €0.01 worldwide

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
      ██         ██     
        ▀▌     ▐▀       
       ▄██▄▄▄▄▄██▄      
     ▄█████████████     
   ▄█████████████████▄   
  ██████▄██████▄██████  
 ▐█████████████████████▌
  ██████▀███████▀██████ 
  █████   █████   █████  
  █████████████████████  
  █████████████████    
    ███████████████    
 ▀██▄ ████████████  ▄██▀
      ▀██▀   ▀██▀   
       ▄█       █▄
ANN
Lightpaper
Bounty
Facebook
Twitter
Telegram
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2017, 02:33:18 PM

2m+segwit, why not?

Because it involves doubling MAX_BLOCK_WEIGHT as well as MAX_BLOCK_SIZE.

In practice, that means 2MB + 6MB, not 1MB + 3MB (Segwit BIP 141 as proposed).

But what i understood is that it would not stop asicboost to work...

No, that's the whole point behind Antpool/Bitmain blocking Segwit (apparently). Segwit activation would stop ASIC Boost working, because of the way Segwit changes the coinbase structure in blocks. Blocking Segwit would allow Bitmain to continue covert ASIC Boosting, although we haven't got direct evidence that Bitmain are using it (but a range of highly suspicious indirect evidence, of course, exists)

Vires in numeris
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 07, 2017, 02:35:01 PM

THey were codding and making analysis that 1MB segwit will make effective 2MB increase.
simple 2MB just increase is damaging for network and would lead to decreasing number of nodes.
Also 2mb block would lead to hardfork and when you have tons of apps stop working.
1MB segwit is solving problems with old soft compatibility.

SegWit will make an effective increase if/when someone jumps on board.

And what "old soft compatibility" issues does SegWit solve? If you're referring to what's described here, that's not really solving anything.

To get VISA transfers you need about 1000MB blocks , you can do it in paypal mysql database but not in decentralized network.

Of course one can't. At least for now.

And you won't care when Jihad will lift limit of 21m

I guess nobody will care, they can go on with their own altcoin if they so desire, but that's not really on the scope of this subsection of the forum.

Here is a life lesson for you: Ignore what people say and watch what they do.

Good lesson.

Mining pool operators clearly have no interest in scaling Bitcoin at this juncture.

Miners have all the interest in scaling Bitcoin. If Bitcoin does not scale it will not survive and miners have vested interest in Bitcoin.

If Miners are allowed to continue with ASICBoost, Bitcoin
development ends in many fundamental ways.

Well then, it's not hard to figure out what miners will opt for Smiley
jonald_fyookball (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2017, 02:41:05 PM

Mining pool operators clearly have no interest in scaling Bitcoin at this juncture.

Miners have all the interest in scaling Bitcoin. If Bitcoin does not scale it will not survive and miners have vested interest in Bitcoin.

Holliday has made his position clear to me:  He thinks Bitcoin will be fine with low TPS and it will still be valuable as a kind of digital gold.

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2017, 02:45:17 PM

Unfortunately this is the case for the supermajority of the population as well as as good portion of the Bitcoin users ("even those thinking they are *awake*").

IF it can be proven they have been using it while claiming they weren't, I would say that is dishonest and deceitful and harmful to Bitcoin, absolutely.   
I'm pretty sure that it is extremely hard/possibly impossible to detect covert usage (which Segwit would prevent).

They secured a patent and wrote functions to use it, but there is no actual proof (such as transaction re-ordering) that they have been using it. 
Why would they spend money building compatible hardware only to *not* use it? Anyone can see that this logic makes no sense.

The fact that they did agree in the HK to segwit+8mb or segwit+4b whatever it was plus the fact that Jihan said (before this 'scandal') that he supports extension blocks (also incompatible with asicboost) supports the idea that they indeed haven't been using it. 
HK was neither +8 MB nor + 4MB. There was never an exact number specified.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2017, 03:04:34 PM

They secured a patent and wrote functions to use it, but there is no actual proof (such as transaction re-ordering) that they have been using it. 
Why would they spend money building compatible hardware only to *not* use it? Anyone can see that this logic makes no sense.

Even so, there still isn't any proof. But I agree, it's highly likely Bitmain are mining empty blocks to make use of ASIC Boost. They've admitted it's there in the ASICs, but deny using it. The BIP to remove covert ASIC Boosting should still happen of course, but there genuinely is no proof it's being used, just some highly suspicious circumstantial evidence, it's not called covert ASIC Boosting for nothing.

Vires in numeris
The One
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 07, 2017, 04:56:00 PM

some devs have found a clever hack which they can use to make BTC TX and NOT pay miners a TX fee
we should enact a USHF to prevent this hack from being exploited, the security model of bitcoin itself is in jeopardy!!

Sources?

..C..
........What is C?.........
...........ICO            Dec 1st – Dec 30th............
       ............Open            Dec 1st- Dec 30th............
...................ANN thread      Bounty....................

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: