Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 10:31:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which of these countries can become a better market for Bitcoins in the future ?
Australia
Japan
United States of America
Denmark
Georgia
Singapore
Hongkong
New Zealand
South Africa
Norway
South Korea
India
Argentina
Cuba
UAE (Dubai)
Belize
Chile
Papua New Guinea
Panama
MALTA
Ecuador
Sweden
Netherlands
Zaire / DRC Congo
Democratic Republic of Sao Tome and Principe
Republic of Congo
Dominica

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Switzerland of Bitcoin  (Read 21939 times)
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 05:42:23 PM

It feels like there never will be one individual "Bitcoin country", the propagation so far has been thin and disparate. The imbalance of having an economy (especially a small national economy) that all but forces all foreign inflows and outflows to convert into and out of BTC should act as a natural barrier to it. What I'd expect is the low-level prevalence to gently climb amongst many economies and "common business pathways", until BTC use and inter-use get to some significant minority status within these numerous nations. Then, it's make or break (before that stage happens, transaction rate scaling problems must be solved + economic crisis must be kicked further into the rough)

Right now, the Bitcoin safe haven is confined to bedrooms, basements, apartments and datacenters across the whole world. Better than a nation state IMO.

I think we should form a virtual state.

I think we might already be doing it  Grin

Vires in numeris

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xxjs

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 07:29:19 PM

I can't answer the question, but shouldn't Panamá at least be on the list?

They have no central bank. They're also "dollarized". The Panamanian government has much less motivation to resit Bitcoin than most others, as it doesn't control money supply (so it doesn't feed itself from inflation) and it doesn't even have a central bank cartel to look after. Of course, when pressure comes from uncle Sam, they may eventually fold. But that applies to all of them.

Panama is one of a few countries that use USD in stead of its own money. Digging just a bit, it appears that they also have a Panama Balboa, which is pegged to the USD. They have not printed bills for years, and their coins have the same shape as the USAian ones. They have a relatively small government consistent with absense of the inflation tax. It could also be non-related. There is close connection to the USA via different treaties, Panama Canal, return of bases, war on drugs. Supposedly some of the police and militarty support programs from USA could compensate for the lack of inflation tax. They also have a "vibrant" financial sector.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 11:15:18 PM

It feels like there never will be one individual "Bitcoin country", the propagation so far has been thin and disparate. The imbalance of having an economy (especially a small national economy) that all but forces all foreign inflows and outflows to convert into and out of BTC should act as a natural barrier to it. What I'd expect is the low-level prevalence to gently climb amongst many economies and "common business pathways", until BTC use and inter-use get to some significant minority status within these numerous nations. Then, it's make or break (before that stage happens, transaction rate scaling problems must be solved + economic crisis must be kicked further into the rough)

Right now, the Bitcoin safe haven is confined to bedrooms, basements, apartments and datacenters across the whole world. Better than a nation state IMO.

I think we might already be doing it  Grin

These are actually really important ideas. I'm not sure if you have read Stephenson's "SnowCrash" but there is a theme running through it whereby virtual nations are formed around common virtual currencies, kind of like rewards point or etc issued by multi-nationals and other groups.

So imagine if many local bitcoin groups formed their own bitcoin-friendly trading areas (e.g. Kreuzberg), gated communities, villages or similar all over the world. Then when any bitcoin user is travelling they can stay at the local bitcoin village and use his/her bitcoins there. These 'enclaves' form something of separate micro-economy in each of the countries they reside but are all connected by the common currency globally. Like a global 'virtual' state that exists inside every nation state they are allowed to ...

luckyindia

Activity: 129
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 01:54:56 AM

Presently Bitcoin is in Beta phase-it is in CORRECTION MODE.The Switzerland of Bitcoin is that virtual land where BTC is freely convertible to any fiat currency/precious metal.....and where NO FUCKING HACKER  can dance as every Bitcoin exchange functions with GOLD STANDARD as its FUNDAMENTAL STRENGTH....Please check www.milligold.org
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 06:13:34 AM

Ukraine?
legendster (OP)

Activity: 1778
Merit: 764

www.V.systems

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 10:13:08 AM

Ukraine?

Support your Answer with reason ?

██████████        ████████████
     ██████████        ██████████
       ██████████        ████████
         ██████████        ██████
           ██████████        ████
             ██████████        ██
               ██████████
                 ██████████
                   ████████
                     ██████
                       ████
                        ██
|
     ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█                 ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
 ▄▀                ▄▀█             ▄▀                ▄▀█
 ██████████    █             ██████████    █
 █                █                   █                █    █
 █                █     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█                █    █
 █                █  ▄▀             █                █  ▄▀
 ██████████▀                 ██████████▀
          █                                    █
          █                                    █
     ▄▀ █  ▀▀▀▀█                   ▄▀ █ ▀▀▀▀▀▀█
 ▄▀             ▄▀█               ▄▀               ▄▀ █
 █████████   █               ██████████    █
 █              █   █               █                █    █
 █              █   █               █                █    █
 █              █  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █                █  ▄▀
 █████████▀                  ██████████▀

Blockchain
Database
                             ▄▄▄
                         ▄▄▀  ▀▄▄
        ▄           ▄▄▀  ▄▀▄  ▀▄▄
      █▄█   █████████████████    █
        █     █                              █ ▄▀ ▌
        █     █        ▄    █   ▄         █▀ ▄▌
       ██    █      ▀▄   █    ▄▀       █▀█
       ▌ ▌   █            █                █  █
       ▌ ▌   █                              █  █
       ██    ███████████████████
                     ▀▀▄  ▀▄▀  ▄▀▀
                         ▀▀▄  ▄▀▀
                             ▀▀▀
Dev friendly
SDK Platform
                             ▄▄▄▄
                         ▄▄█    █▄▄
                     ▄▄█            █▄▄
                 ▄▄█       ▄▄▄       █▄▄
                 █       ▄▀      ▀▄       █
               █▀     █      █      █     ▀█
               ▀▀█  █   ▄█▀█▄   █  █▀▀
               █▀▀   █  ▀███▀  █   ▀▀█
               ▀▀█     █    █    █     █▀▀
                   ▀▀█   █  █  █   █▀▀
                       ▀████████▀
                           █▄▄▄▄█
                 █        █▄▄▄▄█      █
             ▄▀ █▄                   ▄█  ▀▄
            █   █▀▄         ▀      ▄▀█    █
           █   █  █  ▌      ▀   ▐  █  █    █
           █   █▄▀▄▌      ▀   ▐▄▀▄█    █
           █       █          ▀        █       █
        █▀▀▀▀▀▀█                █▀▀▀▀▀▀█
        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
User-friendly
Token Creation
|
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1076

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 05:57:22 PM

You forgot The Principality of Sealand.

No, I'm not trolling. I think they, or another micronation, could very well take Switzerland's place in the Bitcoin economy.

Its just a small platform on 2 giant Pillars !!! no way in hell will it be ale to support & sustain itself in the long run ... let alone support the Bitcoin community !

All they need is a lot of servers and good bandwidth.  Why would the size of the platform get in the way?
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 07:44:10 PM

I think we might already be doing it  Grin

These are actually really important ideas. I'm not sure if you have read Stephenson's "SnowCrash" but there is a theme running through it whereby virtual nations are formed around common virtual currencies, kind of like rewards point or etc issued by multi-nationals and other groups.

So imagine if many local bitcoin groups formed their own bitcoin-friendly trading areas (e.g. Kreuzberg), gated communities, villages or similar all over the world. Then when any bitcoin user is travelling they can stay at the local bitcoin village and use his/her bitcoins there. These 'enclaves' form something of separate micro-economy in each of the countries they reside but are all connected by the common currency globally. Like a global 'virtual' state that exists inside every nation state they are allowed to ...

Indeed, the proto-state-virtual trail seems to be nearing unbroken chain proportions according to coinmap.org. USA and EU can almost be traversed spending BTC on the vitals as you go, but there just isn't quite enough take-up to reliably get all goods everywhere. I thought the recent thread asking "are we in a closed-loop economy yet?" was interesting, it seems that Finland is closest of all. And you might expect that independent, self-reliant attitude from that sort of culture. Maybe the virtual state trail isn't yet possible trans-nationally, but you could have a close simulation by taking a week or a weekend out in Helsinki. Like a Bitcoin POS shop window  Cheesy

Vires in numeris
600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 09:08:57 PM

what about germany ?

http://www.coindesk.com/german-government-relieves-capital-gains-tax-on-bitcoin-positions/

http://www.coindesk.com/germany-official-recognises-bitcoin-as-private-money/
akhentek

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 09:41:41 PM

Canada should be on that list.

FinTrac is the FinCen equivalent here, and their guidance is regards to digital currencies is much more favourable than our neighbours south of the border.

Herp

Activity: 294

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 11:28:17 PM

Germany is missing from the list. Berlin is already most popular Bitcoin city and attitude towards Bitcoin in Germany has been very friendly at the political level. After the nightmare of Weimar inflation a such deflationary currency is certainly an appealing proposition. It's also great way for Germans to escape the upcoming massive ECB printing.

███████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████▐████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
DECENT
FOUNDATION

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[D]ecentralized application
[E]liminated third parties
[C]ontent distribution

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[E]ncrypted & secure
[N]o borders
[T]imeless reputation

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 09:45:55 PM

Maybe India if they get their head out of their ass

they just dumped their currency 25% recently so the people got hosed there.. but it keeps the outsource jobs flowing

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
tristan_luther

Activity: 42

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 02:22:19 AM

they just dumped their currency 25% recently so the people got hosed there.. but it keeps the outsource jobs flowing

I would be shocked if it is a country as vast, diverse, undeveloped, and superstitious as India. It would benefit them greatly if/when they do embrace virtual currency, but I cannot envision them leading the way. It will almost certainly be a small, progressive, technologically advanced country like Finland.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 01:06:10 PM

I would be shocked if it is a country as vast, diverse, undeveloped, and superstitious as India. It would benefit them greatly if/when they do embrace virtual currency, but I cannot envision them leading the way. It will almost certainly be a small, progressive, technologically advanced country like Finland.

I'm sort of surprised that Iceland haven't had more (visible) BTC take-up, although maybe they're just not shouting about it. Smaller than Finland, progressive, and technologically advanced too, plus there's the Internet Freedomtm branding as well. Maybe they're cautious about wild sounding banking concepts after their banking collapse, though.

Vires in numeris
AndrewWilliams

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Fourth richest fictional character

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 08:00:55 PM

You guys are way off base.

You need to look at which countries have the best privacy laws.

Off the top of my head:

Principality of Andorra (located between Spain and France)
Monaco (Principality)
Samoa
Bahrain
Malta
Seychelles
Sultunate of Brunei
Mauritius
Panama
Belize
Bahamas
British Virgin Islands
Gibraltar (UK)

Read this website: http://www.streber.st/
It talks about the best countries to form an offshore corporation based on privacy laws and taxation laws. I believe the same principles would apply to this thread.

tristan_luther

Activity: 42

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 02:48:21 AM

It would make a lot of sense for a state with adversarial relations with the United States (Iran comes to mind) to embrace Bitcoin. It would be a great way to get around the economic sanctions, while posing more of a threat to Washington than it could ever do militarily.
AndrewWilliams

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 03:46:25 AM

It would make a lot of sense for a state with adversarial relations with the United States (Iran comes to mind) to embrace Bitcoin. It would be a great way to get around the economic sanctions, while posing more of a threat to Washington than it could ever do militarily.

If you want Bitcoin to die a quick death, then hope for that scenario. Really, could your suggestion be any dumber?
becoin
Legendary

Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 10:08:57 AM

If you want Bitcoin to die a quick death, then hope for that scenario. Really, could your suggestion be any dumber?
Any arguments to back your statement?
AndrewWilliams

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 06:53:28 PM

Any arguments to back your statement?

Sorry, I thought I was dealing with someone who knew better...

But to help you out, look at the state of Iran's current economy. In the last 2 years it has had crippling inflation, produce is unaffordable for the average Iranian.
Why? Because the US and cooperating International Countries have levied sanctions on this murderous regime who threatens to commit genocide on an entire nation, while actively pursuing nuclear weapons. Why would you want to side with the enemy of the USA and allied countries?

If you want to attach Bitcoin to Iran you are guaranteeing that the US will focus it's efforts at destroying Bitcoin, in everyway possible. That is a line you do not want to cross.

I almost forgot to mention, their are international economic sanctions on Iran, with VERY HARSH PENALTIES for ANYONE who does business with Iran in any way, shape or form.

Plus, who the hell wants to be associated with Iran? The country's leaders regularly preach "death to the infidel" (any non-Muslims). They follow Sharia Law and accordingly cut off the hands of thieves, make raped women marry their rapist, and worse.

Still think it's a good idea?
eXme

Activity: 241

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 08:34:45 PM

plzzzz pick Nigeria!!1

Best Bank for Bitcoins, under 12,500€ annonym Smiley https://banking.fidor.de/registrierung?ibid=52874443
Best Direct-Cash Market https://www.bitcoin.de/de/r/4879q2
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: