Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 06:57:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is StrongCoin's 'hybrid wallet' a lie? (Or rather, are ALL hybrid wallet a lie?)  (Read 5792 times)
Frozenlock (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 03:46:30 AM
Last edit: April 24, 2013, 04:00:08 AM by Frozenlock

If find this really disturbing:

Public Disclosure.

On Saturday afternoon I was notified that Strongcoin was holding 568 BTC believed to be from the Ozcoin theft. Everytime you make a payment from StrongCoin the fee goes to 1STRonGxnFTeJiA7pgyneKknR29AwBM77 so any payments from strongcoin held accounts are easily traced back to the site.

I was asked by 2 separate people on this forum if I could hold the funds (Sorry to the people I didn't reply to). The evidence that these funds came from the heist seemed plausible to me.

At 8am yesterday morning the funds were intercepted when the user made a payment.

https://blockchain.info/address/1DsFCAZaxhJ9YGw5X8NCW9VkSMDZMyXzMF

I've spoken to the user in question over email. The user says he sold a car for BTC but can't reveal who to due to an NDA agreement.

Graeme and I had a conversation over the phone and some evidence came to light, that to me, made it very likely the user I have contact with was connected to the heist. I'm not going to reveal any details of the user accept to legal authorities if asked. I believe we should abide by due process.

I have sent a link to this post to the user so he/she can comment. Otherwise in the next few hours I will return the funds to Graeme, he can then decide what happens to those funds.

My understanding of a hybrid wallet is that this cannot happen.
So... how did this happen?
jhansen858

Activity: 364

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 04:53:42 AM

Hard code the payment code to redirect the funds to wallet of your choice when the user logs in and attempts to send the money else where.  Maybe they cant get access to the money when its being stored encrypted, but when you log in and execute the payment to an outside address, that address could be redirected at that time with very little effort.

Hi forum: 1DDpiEt36VTJsiJunyBc3XtG6CcSAnsQ4p
Frozenlock (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 05:06:20 AM

Hmm, so StrongCoin doesn't have the equivalent of Blockchain.info's javascript verifier?
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 8440

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 05:10:11 AM

Hmm, so StrongCoin doesn't have the equivalent of Blockchain.info's javascript verifier?
It wouldn't help here. The verifier just checks that the code matches the published code.
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 05:17:29 AM
Last edit: April 24, 2013, 05:59:31 AM by gmaxwell

I think people who are hating on strongcoin are taking away the wrong thing from this.  This is the reasonable and expected outcome.

I suggest meditating on some words from Satoshi:
Then strong encryption became available to the masses, and trust was no longer required. Data could be secured in a way that was physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter what.

Used correctly Bitcoin is secure no matter how good the "excuse" is and in this case the excuse is exceptionally good:  Someone who ripped off infrastructure important to many of our community members, screwing both the users and a the operator (a rightfully well respected member of our community)— is utter scum. It would be wrong of us to expect anyone to protect him, he didn't protect Bitcoin— he didn't protect Ozcoin's users— he didn't look out for anyone but himself.  I agree that this can begin slippery slope of "excuses"— but Bitcoin has an answer to that that slippery slope: Build systems that don't depend on trust. But Bitcoin's trustlessness can't protect you if you go around delegating the actual use of Bitcoin to third parties.

When you use a webwallet you're trusting that the JS is not replaced out from under you— you're trusting that any 'validator' tool validates against something useful (and not just some copy the same operator can replace), and that no additional JS is being inserted which e.g. rebinds half the JS language and keeps the validated code the same while changing its operation, that the web browser environment— which wasn't designed for this kind of security at all and lacks basic features like mlocking data to keep it out of swap— is secure. You're trusting that the operator doesn't phish your passphrase— as they trivially can— or brute force it. You're trusting that the site gives you faithful information about the blockchain as none of the webclients have even SPV security. You're trusting that the site operators description of their service as secure is truthful and that there aren't subtle weaknesses that you don't personally understand. You're trusting a lot of things ... and especially if you're a disreputable thieving source there can be no basis for that trust.  It would have been wrong of us to demand that the operator of a service turn down a well substantiated request in a case like this, it would make them a villain to the kind and honest people their decision harmed. We shouldn't create a world where people have to make choices like that.

The webwallet wasn't the only problem here: For example, the address reuse made identifying the wallet vendor trivial.  These aren't new security issues, but a lot of people won't believe them without concrete examples.

Ultimately the problem here is one of introducing trust needlessly. Expecting this not to fail for a villain would be to expect inhuman behavior from the site's operators... and even a wallet service operated by the least human most profit oriented sort would have some "excuse" that was sufficient: Perhaps for some it's a crime that ought to be solved, for others it an attractive bribe, someone else might be motivated by a court order— or by a literal gun held to their head. Whatever the exact contours of the breaking point is— it exists.  Bitcoin was designed to liberate us from so much dependance on trust, but it can only do that if we use it— and not thin-clients that kinda-sorta-approximate it.

I'm glad that the example here is one where a really obvious thief gets screwed over and not someone less deserving. Hopefully the honest folks will learn and change their behaviors faster than the thieves do.

[I'm sure this is going to get discussed in a dozen different places— I'm not going to bother trying to track them all down. If you see it discussed elsewhere and you thought my comments were interesting, please feel free to drop a link back to here]
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 05:36:43 AM

The problem is this right here:

However, the Bitcoin private key which is required to send money is encrypted in your browser before it reaches our servers.

Therefore our servers only hold encrypted private keys and neither we nor anyone else can spend your Bitcoins. Only you.
Frozenlock (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 05:38:03 AM

Well at least with the verifier the code must be the one on github. (Not fool proof, but that's nice)

What about the browser extension?

And while I was more interested in the technical aspect....
It would have been wrong of us to demand that the operator of a service turn down a well substantiated request in a case like this, it would make them a villain to the kind and honest people their decision harmed. We shouldn't create a world where people have to make choices like that.

There's a difference between action and inaction in this case.
What I mean is the wallet provider can simply say "I will not mess with my users wallet", which would be inaction.
If the provider chose to act upon the request, he then has to choose between protecting the thief, or giving back the BTCs to the legitimate owner.

Even if inaction and protecting the thief would have had the same result in this case, the moral and professional implications aren't the same.
The 'action' taken was the good one, but I wouldn't be so fast as saying that action had to be taken.
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 05:45:07 AM
Last edit: April 24, 2013, 06:07:00 AM by gmaxwell

There's a difference between action and inaction in this case.
This is a false dichotomy. "Inaction" is a choice too, to say otherwise is maddness: we can often orchestrate things so that great evil require us to only sit by "inactive". ... and the laws of many societies also frequently endorse the view that at least in some cases a duty to act is created— even though creating such a duty carries many risks and costs.

Ultimately, the question here was only about power. The site had the power and opportunity to stop the theft.  Failing to act on it would be a difficult choice, one that would open them up to adverse legal and moral judgements by others and one that many people— sympathetic to the thief's victims and not the thief— might have a hard time sleeping with. As I elaborated in my message— for some other operator the threshold might be different— higher or lower, depending more or less on the specifics or the pressure placed on them— but that there is a threshold is a fact which can only be changed by reducing the amount that we grant trust.

Someone asked me why I'm bothering to blather on about this... I think this is important because I hope people think deeply about trust and change their behaviors. It would make me sad if only thieves— who should know in advance that they can't depend on anything as thin as trust— get the benefits of reduced trust.
Frozenlock (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 06:04:37 AM

If there's a false dichotomy, it's on your side... I added the 3rd choice, while you listed only 2.

The question here isn't, contrary to what you say, a question about power.
The question is a consequence of the said power.

gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 06:11:49 AM

If there's a false dichotomy, it's on your side... I added the 3rd choice, while you listed only 2.
I'm not seeing your third choice.  I see: do nothing, do nothing, return the stolen funds.  I mean, if you're willing to distinguish choices that make no functional difference then there is an infinitude of options... he could ... return the funds... while wearing a funny hat.

I disagree that it's about the consequence. Consequences are one time things.  Today a thief is stopped and the stolen funds are returned to their rightful owners, tomorrow guys with guns ransack the operators home and 15% of the wallets get stolen… or maybe it doesn't happen. Perhaps it just gets hacked and the operator plays no role in the redirection of funds. Or maybe something else… Remove the trust and you remove the vulnerability.  You might demand that an operator be built out of stuff immune to human suffering— I don't agree— but do you also ask him to be immune from bullets? From court orders? From his own conscience?  Wheres the limit?  I argue that the answer isn't that interesting because no answer will be very good and because Bitcoin was invented so that we wouldn't have to ask that question very often to begin with.

Certainly there can be cases where you can debate the rightfulness or wrongfulness of a decision— but this isn't a good one for that:  This isn't a place where trust is unavoidable (like a BTC/USD exchange), and it isn't over a particularly grey decision...
Frozenlock (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 06:45:02 AM

Code:
Inaction (1)

Actions -------> Help the thief (2)
        -------> Help the victim (3)

To show how inaction is different from action:
1. You know there's children dying of hunger in Africa.
2. You have disposable income.
3. You don't prevent these deaths.
Ergo, you should be thrown in jail for murder?

So in the StrongCoin case, I agree that once he decided to act, he should have helped the victim, as he did.

I'm simply not as fast as you jumping to the conclusion that it was the "evident" solution.
kayrice

Activity: 104
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 08:06:04 AM

So in the StrongCoin case, I agree that once he decided to act, he should have helped the victim, as he did.

I don't think OP cares much about the moral issue at hand but the fact that it may need to be more publicly known that the wallet can highjack your funds if the operator desires. The common idea is that (probably incorrectly held, but held none the less) the public/private key cryptography protects you from them spending or doing something without your signature from the browser.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 09:47:31 AM

I don't think OP cares much about the moral issue at hand but the fact that it may need to be more publicly known that the wallet can highjack your funds if the operator desires. The common idea is that (probably incorrectly held, but held none the less) the public/private key cryptography protects you from them spending or doing something without your signature from the browser.

I think this is a big issue. If the admin can gain control over your coins, any attacker talented enough, be it in hacking or social engineering, can also access your coins.

more or less retired.
jdillon

Activity: 70
Merit: 18

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 10:13:12 AM
Last edit: April 24, 2013, 04:48:28 PM by jdillon

My understanding of a hybrid wallet is that this cannot happen.
So... how did this happen?

Others have explained how it happened with StrongCoin. But there is nothing special about StrongCoin and hybrid wallets.

I have an Android phone and have some of my Bitcoins stored on it using Andreas Schildbach's bitcoin wallet for Android. I like many others update my software without looking at it particularly hard. I have not done much programming for a long time.

Andreas could easily pull the same stunt that StrongCoin did and put a special bit of code that steals back stolen funds. It gets worse even. Andreas's software depends on bitcoinj, written by Mike Hearn, who has repeatedly written about blacklists and also does not particularly value anonymity, and does believe Bitcoin can and should be regulated.

Would he sneak some code into bitcoinj itself to steal back stolen funds? Probably not but I can never be sure. (edit: to be clear I mention Mike not because I think he would, but rather because for someone whose views I oppose so strongly I still am trusting him surprisingly directly with hundreds of dollars)

Trust is a very hard problem.
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 01:43:37 PM

Bottom line: it's time for folks to stop using hybrid wallets--or at the very least, StrongCoin in particular. Both ability and willingness were displayed in this case, and that's a sure sign to flee the premises.

And I find it funny that he's "intercepted" the funds but chosen to keep the sender anonymous. If any action were to be taken at all, I would have imagined leaving the funds untouched but publicizing the incident as much as seems necessary (note: as in making public, not as in running to the cops) would have been the morally upright choice. As it stands, the owner of StrongCoin just destroyed his own business, and possibly his entire business model.

Hope it turns out that it actually was stolen funds that were "intercepted," and that that the proper owner was identified. That's about the only thing that might make this entire outcome worth it.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 02:57:45 PM

Bottom line: it's time for folks to stop using hybrid wallets--or at the very least, StrongCoin in particular. Both ability and willingness were displayed in this case, and that's a sure sign to flee the premises.

And I find it funny that he's "intercepted" the funds but chosen to keep the sender anonymous. If any action were to be taken at all, I would have imagined leaving the funds untouched but publicizing the incident as much as seems necessary (note: as in making public, not as in running to the cops) would have been the morally upright choice. As it stands, the owner of StrongCoin just destroyed his own business, and possibly his entire business model.

Hope it turns out that it actually was stolen funds that were "intercepted," and that that the proper owner was identified. That's about the only thing that might make this entire outcome worth it.

We as OP pointed out Strongcoin makes a point about how they don't have your private keys, meaning they shouldn't have been able to return the funds at all. We can argue the moral and legal points of confiscating the money (I think it's probably illegal) but the real question is has Strongcoin been unfaithful to it's users all along? They said they only see your encrypted keys but that turns out not to be true, the obviously have access (and any hacker would have access- and I suspect a large number of hackers might now turn their sights on strongcoin having realized the encrypted private key thing was a ruse) to all the coins.

more or less retired.
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 01:59:19 AM

We as OP pointed out Strongcoin makes a point about how they don't have your private keys, meaning they shouldn't have been able to return the funds at all.
They have the same access that all JS webwallets have. People have been telling all of you that their "private key on the client" model isn't comparable in security to a normal Bitcoin client and you've just continued blabbering on about 'BUT PRIVATE KEY ONLY ON MY COMPUTER' ...  Even here you seem to be speculating that maybe it wasn't really on your computer. IT WAS and thats _not sufficient_.

People have been telling everyone since these JS wallets have come into existence that they have an inferior security model compared to SPV nodes which have an inferior security model compared to full nodes. If people insist on ignoring the experts who are looking out for their interests because they think they know better ... well. Expected result is expected.

As an aside I ran into a nice quote from Jacob Appelbaum on system security, an I thought it nicely repeated some of the points I made above.
We should consider that if the architecture of a system, even a mostly
*technically* secure system, is optimized for surveillance to the
company's benefit - it *will* almost certainly be forced to hand your
data over when ordered. Simply because it *is able to do so* at all,
we've learned that the law in the US is interpreted to suggest that such
companies must and they must do so silently. And it seems to be the case
that when the US has no legal recourse, it may use other methods for
jurisdictions beyond their direct legal reach. It might happen through
legal means, it might happen through general blackhattery, it might
happen through kidnapping a family member - compliance is possible and
there exists a case where compliance *will* happen.
zebedee
Donator

Activity: 668
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 06:24:53 AM

Geez, just look at the facts.

Strongcoin never knew the private keys.  If they did, even more BTC would have been recovered than was.

All its owner did was deliver modified JS to the thief (only) that replaced the change and "To" addresses with dogisland's address.  It took the thief (from what I can see) about 5 transactions before she realized she was 0wned.  Stilll the thief has done very well for herself with 300+ BTC.  I wonder if she was smart enough to figure out how to reclaim her remaining coins (if any) without using Strongcoin's WebUI..... or is she stuck.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 08:00:34 AM

Geez, just look at the facts.

Strongcoin never knew the private keys.  If they did, even more BTC would have been recovered than was.

All its owner did was deliver modified JS to the thief (only) that replaced the change and "To" addresses with dogisland's address.  It took the thief (from what I can see) about 5 transactions before she realized she was 0wned.  Stilll the thief has done very well for herself with 300+ BTC.  I wonder if she was smart enough to figure out how to reclaim her remaining coins (if any) without using Strongcoin's WebUI..... or is she stuck.

And you don't think this is worse? That one doesn't even need your private key- which at least you could 'track' when someone steals your coins, but in this case  you could be injected with javascript that takes control of your wallet?

more or less retired.
jubalix
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1022

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 01:32:20 PM

All well and good sir gmaxwell, If I may suggest the issues is the ability to redirect funds in this way makes StongCoin and Blockchain.info fundamentally compromised

I think people who are hating on strongcoin are taking away the wrong thing from this.  This is the reasonable and expected outcome.

I suggest meditating on some words from Satoshi:
Then strong encryption became available to the masses, and trust was no longer required. Data could be secured in a way that was physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter what.

Used correctly Bitcoin is secure no matter how good the "excuse" is and in this case the excuse is exceptionally good:  Someone who ripped off infrastructure important to many of our community members, screwing both the users and a the operator (a rightfully well respected member of our community)— is utter scum. It would be wrong of us to expect anyone to protect him, he didn't protect Bitcoin— he didn't protect Ozcoin's users— he didn't look out for anyone but himself.  I agree that this can begin slippery slope of "excuses"— but Bitcoin has an answer to that that slippery slope: Build systems that don't depend on trust. But Bitcoin's trustlessness can't protect you if you go around delegating the actual use of Bitcoin to third parties.

When you use a webwallet you're trusting that the JS is not replaced out from under you— you're trusting that any 'validator' tool validates against something useful (and not just some copy the same operator can replace), and that no additional JS is being inserted which e.g. rebinds half the JS language and keeps the validated code the same while changing its operation, that the web browser environment— which wasn't designed for this kind of security at all and lacks basic features like mlocking data to keep it out of swap— is secure. You're trusting that the operator doesn't phish your passphrase— as they trivially can— or brute force it. You're trusting that the site gives you faithful information about the blockchain as none of the webclients have even SPV security. You're trusting that the site operators description of their service as secure is truthful and that there aren't subtle weaknesses that you don't personally understand. You're trusting a lot of things ... and especially if you're a disreputable thieving source there can be no basis for that trust.  It would have been wrong of us to demand that the operator of a service turn down a well substantiated request in a case like this, it would make them a villain to the kind and honest people their decision harmed. We shouldn't create a world where people have to make choices like that.

The webwallet wasn't the only problem here: For example, the address reuse made identifying the wallet vendor trivial.  These aren't new security issues, but a lot of people won't believe them without concrete examples.

Ultimately the problem here is one of introducing trust needlessly. Expecting this not to fail for a villain would be to expect inhuman behavior from the site's operators... and even a wallet service operated by the least human most profit oriented sort would have some "excuse" that was sufficient: Perhaps for some it's a crime that ought to be solved, for others it an attractive bribe, someone else might be motivated by a court order— or by a literal gun held to their head. Whatever the exact contours of the breaking point is— it exists.  Bitcoin was designed to liberate us from so much dependance on trust, but it can only do that if we use it— and not thin-clients that kinda-sorta-approximate it.

I'm glad that the example here is one where a really obvious thief gets screwed over and not someone less deserving. Hopefully the honest folks will learn and change their behaviors faster than the thieves do.

[I'm sure this is going to get discussed in a dozen different places— I'm not going to bother trying to track them all down. If you see it discussed elsewhere and you thought my comments were interesting, please feel free to drop a link back to here]

Admitted Practicing Lawyer::BTC/Crypto Specialist. B.Engineering/B.Laws

https://www.binance.com/?ref=10062065
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: