Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:38:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Bit-Card - Bitcoin top-up card / paper wallet  (Read 1962 times)
Carsten | Bit-Card (OP)

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 09:03:58 AM

Hi,
We are going to launch Bitcoin top-up cards / paper wallets in the near future.

http://bit-card.com/

Right now we are in the final stages of the design process and we are getting the holograms set up. Concurrently we set up the web site and the documentation of our production sequence.

• What do you think?
  • Any suggestions on how to reach a maximum of transparency and trust?

Latest design sample: http://imgur.com/FgnuS7G

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
maxmint

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 09:20:40 AM

Casascius coins have some kind of "honeycomb" pattern (after removing the hologram), do you plan to use something similar?

Btw: cards are looking good!

My PGP-Key: 462D02D8
Verify my messages using keybase: https://keybase.io/maxmint
davidpbrown

Activity: 531
Merit: 260

Vires in Numeris

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 09:25:39 AM

Don't want to knock it but then these physical coins/cards do just seem like an opportunity for someone to do a fraud with them.. cf gold bars with other metal on the inside. You can't have confidence until you action and once done, it's worthless (unless you reseal it).

What I wanted to see is a debit card that would allow topup to a bitcoin address, with the obvious QR barcode for bar code scanners to read.. but that's the inverse of this it seems.

฿://12vxXHdmurFP3tpPk7bt6YrM3XPiftA82s
Matti | Bit-Card

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 09:33:59 AM

Casascius coins have some kind of "honeycomb" pattern (after removing the hologram), do you plan to use something similar?

Btw: cards are looking good!

Yes, we do test different hologram types and glues to make sure the hologram cannot be removed in a non-destructive way. Such patterns are included in each hologram type.
Matti | Bit-Card

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 09:40:56 AM

Don't want to knock it but then these physical coins/cards do just seem like an opportunity for someone to do a fraud with them.. cf gold bars with other metal on the inside. You can't have confidence until you action and once done, it's worthless (unless you reseal it).

What I wanted to see is a debit card that would allow topup to a bitcoin address, with the obvious QR barcode for bar code scanners to read.. but that's the inverse of this it seems.

Well that someone would be us in that case, because everyone else would have to remove the hologram to get the private key. We absolutely know, that trust is one of the key things with these cards and we want to be as transparent as possible. This is why we came here in this early stage, to come and see what you guys would like to be done to increase trust.

We are a company registered under German law and based in Germany. The company is around since 2010 and our names are on the web site. We will release detailed documentation on how the keys are created (offline system, etc.) and handled through the whole process prior to the launch.
The Bitcoin Catalog

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

The Bitcoin Catalog ---> Get Started!

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 02:35:02 AM

Great! Looking forward for your products!

The Bitcoin Catalog: Second edition coming out in November! Click here for a  FREE pdf catalog!
Follow us on twitter! @BTCcatalog
shadallion

Activity: 304
Merit: 102

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 01:16:09 PM

Can you explain how these cards work?

Is it similar to a prepaid debit card?

Is ite reloadable?

What is to keep someone fromstealing it and spending all of the BTC on there?

ninjaboon
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2013, 02:30:55 PM

This cards look pretty cool. I will buy some in the new few days

thatbluedude

Activity: 196

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 10:04:19 PM

My short amateur review:
The card looks nice. I did a quick attempt to remove the sticker without damaging it with a normal knife and got an area of about 2x0.5 cm off without bigger problems. I only cut from one direction so I think it might be possible to remove it completely with a scalpel whilst cutting in a circle. The sticker could be reapplied and still left the security pattern when I pulled it off again. It was easy to scrape off the sticker leftovers with a knife.  It’s easy to remove the print with wire wool, but I don’t think that will be a problem with regular use.
My uneducated advice would be to perhaps rough the private key area up a bit and apply the seal with some pressure?

Matti | Bit-Card

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2013, 07:19:18 AM

My short amateur review:
The card looks nice. I did a quick attempt to remove the sticker without damaging it with a normal knife and got an area of about 2x0.5 cm off without bigger problems. I only cut from one direction so I think it might be possible to remove it completely with a scalpel whilst cutting in a circle. The sticker could be reapplied and still left the security pattern when I pulled it off again. It was easy to scrape off the sticker leftovers with a knife.  It’s easy to remove the print with wire wool, but I don’t think that will be a problem with regular use.
My uneducated advice would be to perhaps rough the private key area up a bit and apply the seal with some pressure?

Even though no one likes to hear about issues like thakt: Thank you very much for your input!

We would love to investigate what allowed this to happen on the specific card and replace it. It would like you to ask to get in touch with me at matti (at) bit-card (dot) com.
thatbluedude

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 08:23:29 AM

contacted.
due to other reasons a second card is currently in transit and I will hopefully soon able to report how it foild my attempts mercilessly
thatbluedude

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 11:26:23 AM

just got the second walletcard, see enclosed pictures

that shouldn't happen, right?

Matti | Bit-Card

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2013, 12:39:11 PM

Hi,

As already stated via mail we are in the process of testing the production hologramms. We weren't able to do so with the test samples we received earlier and will investigate if there is an issue with the production hologramms.

Until this is resolved we will not send out any Bit-Cards. Even though we do not suggest to use Bit-Cards as a highly fluctuating payment method and did not design it for this purpose, we are committed to provide maximum safety.

Your Bit-Card team
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: