Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 10:15:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Butterfly Labs (BFL) might be a Ponzi scheme  (Read 6810 times)
crazyquark (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 12:36:50 PM

Hello fellow miners,

According to my limited info on ASIC building, it can cost at least 250k $ to make one of these units but they are selling them at 274$!

Now FPGA mining made a lot more sense - sensibly priced hardware, mass produced, programmable for custom purpose - power consumption - not so great.

My point simple: given how much it costs to build ASIC chips(no matter how brilliantly efficient they might be) they probably only gathered enough funds to manufacture a portion of the ones ordered.

So they will ship a couple of units every week to appease the masses. In the mean time, people will continue pre-ordering(all sales final!); they will keep up this rhythm until they hit their profit target or they get bored or the supply drops  - at that point, after having smartly moved their profits to offshore accounts along the way they can file from bankrupcy and skip town, not delivering one more single unit.

Call me paranoid, but this scheme makes sense and I see no reason why they could build ASICs for only 274$ - unless they have their own factory??
ma_rine_sa

Activity: 25

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 12:46:31 PM

i think the consensus is that you are giving bfl too much credit by saying they managed to conjure up a ponzi scheme...

incompetent yes, but not a ponzi scheme.
piit79

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Time for Plan ฿

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 12:46:48 PM

I'm not saying BFL is definitely not a ponzi but I think it's certainly possible to build the mining rigs that cheap on a large scale.

As far as I know the greatest expense by far when dealing with ASICs is the design process. (Amounts in the order of $1M were mentioned.) Once that is done the mass produced chips can be cheap as, well, chips Smiley
r3animation

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 12:56:48 PM

Hello fellow miners,

According to my limited info on ASIC building, it can cost at least 250k $ to make one of these units but they are selling them at 274$!

Now FPGA mining made a lot more sense - sensibly priced hardware, mass produced, programmable for custom purpose - power consumption - not so great.

My point simple: given how much it costs to build ASIC chips(no matter how brilliantly efficient they might be) they probably only gathered enough funds to manufacture a portion of the ones ordered.

So they will ship a couple of units every week to appease the masses. In the mean time, people will continue pre-ordering(all sales final!); they will keep up this rhythm until they hit their profit target or they get bored or the supply drops  - at that point, after having smartly moved their profits to offshore accounts along the way they can file from bankrupcy and skip town, not delivering one more single unit.

Call me paranoid, but this scheme makes sense and I see no reason why they could build ASICs for only 274$ - unless they have their own factory??

I think you're mixing up developing and producing.
Wepp

Activity: 48

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 01:31:10 PM

imagine it like a printing press. it takes hundreds of thousands of dollars and lots of time to build and lay out the press, but the pages it prints - the chips - are cheap and quickly produced from the expensive machine. what happened was they spent the huge amount of investment money that it takes to begin fabricating chips only to discover after receiving the first batch that they run too hot. so hot, in fact, that they basically melt the surrounding materials on the board.

i'm not making this up. there was a wired article posted with an interview of josh from bfl.
crazyquark (OP)

Activity: 13

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 01:39:33 PM

Understood. But do you think they will be able to cover their production costs while shipping all the requested units?
Can you link that wired article?
Wepp

Activity: 48

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 02:23:52 PM

Understood. But do you think they will be able to cover their production costs while shipping all the requested units?
No idea beyond speculation at this point.

Sure! Here it is:
http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/04/bitcoin-mining-rigs/
maqifrnswa

Activity: 454

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 03:08:08 PM
Last edit: April 24, 2013, 05:14:21 PM by maqifrnswa

It think your estimates are a bit off in the original post:

The marginal cost of each chip is probably ~$1-5. They PCB boards, assembled, are probably $20-30. Enclosures, $10-20. Power supply, fans = $10-20. Box = $1-5.

So a Jally cost around $60 to make (marginal cost, probably throw some assembly labor on that as well). They are selling for $274. Their profit margin might be around 400-500% per jally. The cost of making the little single/single is only slightly more (orders of 10s to 200 dollars but they charge 1000 more) - so you can see close to 1000% profit margins. That's what they can use the recoup their initial investment
minternj

Activity: 434

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 03:11:28 PM

When i woke up i said to myself i wish someone would post another bfl is a scam thread. And hey i got my wish.

Warning about Nitrogensports.eu
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=709114.0
centove

Activity: 194
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 03:16:50 PM

When i woke up i said to myself i wish someone would post another bfl is a scam thread. And hey i got my wish.
Kinda a no brainer? Other easily fulfilled wishes.. I wish someone would post yet another 'bit coin is gonna crash' or 'Bitcoin is flawed!'

Smiley

Give me Btc: 1BRkf5bwSVdGCyvu4SyYBiJjEjbNiAQoYd Mine on my node: http://ask.gxsnmp.org:9332/
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 07:56:11 PM

It's called "Keeping up with the Avalons".

Which begs the question, how long before BFL starts selling only the chips?
Luno

Activity: 504

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 08:06:08 PM

Their latest picture of the Jalapeño boxes on a trolley is sad in the sense that they have wasted time and money putting nice graphics on them. Like taking an expensive empty machined housing with fans to an electronics fair!
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 02:52:23 AM

Their latest picture of the Jalapeño boxes on a trolley is sad in the sense that they have wasted time and money putting nice graphics on them. Like taking an expensive empty machined housing with fans to an electronics fair!

I'm willing to bet that the graphics on the boxes for the now defunct MiniRigs is totally awesome.

I'm curious as to what the content consist of on the Jalapeno's boxes.

I'm also curious as to what the UL, FCC, and CE labels look like attached to machines not sent out as dev units. I'm sure those look awesome as hell.

I just checked again the FCC website, and still nothing resembling BFL, or the like, has grace their labs.

Amazing how I can get an SR22 for three years because a woman falsely claims I pulled out in front her, yet a felon is able to continue breaking the law without suffering any repercussions.
mojod

Activity: 15

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 04:16:47 AM

I'm willing to bet that the graphics on the boxes for the now defunct MiniRigs is totally awesome.

I'm also curious as to what the UL, FCC, and CE labels look like attached to machines not sent out as dev units. I'm sure those look awesome as hell.

I just checked again the FCC website, and still nothing resembling BFL, or the like, has grace their labs.

Amazing how I can get an SR22 for three years because a woman falsely claims I pulled out in front her, yet a felon is able to continue breaking the law without suffering any repercussions.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/110174663470490530041/albums/5870611557972117729

Completely absent. Now you can call the FCC ID police on them.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 09:23:48 AM

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/110174663470490530041/albums/5870611557972117729

To be fair, I'll consider the dev units may not need them, albeit possibly a grey area in the eyes of the FCC, but nevertheless.

But as soon as one regular customer shows similar images of their unit sans labels, I'll make contact with the FCC and show the best proof possible that I did such.
mojod

Activity: 15

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 06:28:25 PM

To be fair, I'll consider the dev units may not need them, albeit possibly a grey area in the eyes of the FCC, but nevertheless.

But as soon as one regular customer shows similar images of their unit sans labels, I'll make contact with the FCC and show the best proof possible that I did such.

And on that day I will call you a boner biter.
Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1013

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 06:32:47 PM

Well they sent one over to Wired for him to review, why not just email the reporter all your concerns and let him do the job he is paid to do and investigate?

MPOE-PR

Merit: 522

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 12:24:27 PM

Well they sent one over to Wired for him to review, why not just email the reporter all your concerns and let him do the job he is paid to do and investigate?

Paid by whom?

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1013

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 02:01:23 PM

Paid by whom?
The reporter that is reviewing the product is on WIRED's (it is a magazine) payroll.   He is not a freelancer.

MPOE-PR

Merit: 522

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 11:10:35 PM

Paid by whom?
The reporter that is reviewing the product is on WIRED's (it is a magazine) payroll.   He is not a freelancer.

Cool story bro.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: