Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:36:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What does "shorting" really mean?  (Read 548 times)
cellard (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1252

View Profile
April 13, 2017, 12:13:46 PM

Does the term "short" imply that you are leveraging/margin trading? Or can short mean simply selling, waiting then re-buying cheaper?

I have always been confused about it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Serpens66
Legendary

Activity: 2926
Merit: 1131

View Profile
April 13, 2017, 12:21:58 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_(finance)

Mit Cointracking (10% Rabatt) behältst du die Übersicht über all deine Trades und Gewinne. Sogar ein Tool für die Steuer ist dabei Wink                          
Great Freeware Game: Clonk Rage
binance.com hat nun auch SEPA und EUR Paare! Mit dem RefLink bekommst du 5% Rabatt auf die Tradinggebühren!
jonsnow888

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2017, 10:06:32 AM

Does the term "short" imply that you are leveraging/margin trading? Or can short mean simply selling, waiting then re-buying cheaper?

I have always been confused about it.

Yes it implies margin trading. You cannot short by just selling, because it's a sophisticated process done by the broker consisting of borrowing, selling and repurchasing.
Yuuto

Activity: 644
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 14, 2017, 10:54:15 AM

There is no way to do "short" positions on any market without margin trading, because your broker needs to lend you money.
Also, margin trading usually means that your trades are also leveraged (in most of cases).

When you go short, you basically lend the money and you give them back in the moment of closing the position.
The difference between entry price and exit price is obviously a profit/loss.

That is why I really love poloniex, because I am able to do margin trading ( so I can go long/short) and most importantly, I do not have to give up my sensitive data, like identity or place of birth.
It is a bit laggy for me sometimes, but still it is the best tool for me to trade different ( but rather legit ) altcoins, and also the volume is really big.

carap

Activity: 86
Merit: 11

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2017, 02:37:21 PM

I think it depends on the market!

Up for me, I think that leveraging/margin trading is an extra layer of complexity and not the necessary part of the trading process.

If market allows selling now and buying later without lending money - you can still say you've shorted.

Like in crypto, I might sell my bitcoins today (let's say for 1200$/btc) - I've shorted my bitcoins. Now I will wait, wait, wait, and who knows, maybe someday the price of bitcoin will be 500$. I will buy the same amount of bitcoins that I've sold today and the remaining $$$ will be my profit.

Who will tell me that isn't correct, and for me to really short in classical terms, I should lend 10x bitcoins to what I currently have and sell all of them?

Trading robots - wrong assumptions made by beginners - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1722689 - share your practical experiences!
upsidedown75
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1036

View Profile
April 14, 2017, 04:20:44 PM

There is another terminology in trading industry "long". But traders never concern about it, that may be the reason the shorting seems too strange for most of the people.

In my understanding, shorting is another type of trading mechanism but it deals with downfall market. More importantly I believe it does not concern anything with leveraging/margin trading. Because shorting will be possible with all your capital but against broker and not in the peer to peer environment.
bitcub

Activity: 951
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2017, 09:45:22 PM

SHORTING is the process of trading thru lending from your Crypto Currency site. ("MARGIN TRADING").

For example, the pair: BTC-USD

If Bitcoin price is going up.. Then you "LONG" or "BUY"

If Bitcoin price is going down.. You select "SHORT" or "SELL"

When bitcoin price goes to the opposite direction of your chosen position. Then you got a -NEGATIVE profit. Be wise from choosing your LONG or SHORT position.. It can liquidate your whole Bitcoin investment..

And as an advice, if you are a beginner stay away from this Margin trading, as many newbies lose a lot of money from this kind of trading, count me in.

Just trade a normal trade from Poloniex.

carap

Activity: 86
Merit: 11

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2017, 06:58:09 AM

Should I farther confuse you? Smiley

When trading a pair, let's say Active1/Active2, if you Short for Active1, at the same time you go Long for Active 2.

If you sold your BTC for ETH, you've shorted BTC and at the same time you become an investor in ETH... Roll Eyes

Trading robots - wrong assumptions made by beginners - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1722689 - share your practical experiences!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: