Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:29:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Post if your GPUs still profitable to operate?  (Read 5556 times)
mrich8 (OP)

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 03:31:46 AM

Although the Network Ghash goes up, and the PPS goes down (BTC Guild), price per USD of each bitcoin still goes up overall, which is one common comparison of the value of Bitcoin.

So my GPUs are still considered profitable, being already paid off many times, and thanks to cheap electricity rates here. As of right now, I can mine about $294 USD of BTC per month (0.07 BTC x 30 days x $140 USD) but my electricity bill is never more than $200. I check this every week or so. Sometimes maybe a week is bad, right now it is good.

Overall it has been very good, and my almost 2 year run has been profitable, starting with just one GPU in a Mac Pro (Radeon 5770), purchased for other reasons, that I didn't even know had such capability, and now with the Mac Pro and two purpose built machines, made with used parts acquired cheap.

When do the ASICs take over? We are told last year, November? No, it's rubbish! Still now, April 2013, it's profitable for old paid-off GPUs to run. I predicted I might have to shut down in March, but no! Does anyone know?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jhansen858

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 06:09:49 AM

Honestly, if your good with getting 0.07 / day then what about 0.03, 0.02, 0.01?  Thats probably about 6 months out at most.

Hi forum: 1DDpiEt36VTJsiJunyBc3XtG6CcSAnsQ4p
bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 06:23:22 AM

Not to nitpick OP, but what do you consider good electric rates? If your elec bill is $200 / mo, and you're generating .07BTC/day, that's approx 1200MH/sec, and 1818.18... kWh per month @ $0.11 / kWh, or about 2525W of power 24/7, which seems high to me. Unless you're saying you have some big azz house and you're paying for all the other uses too from 2 7970s, which sounds nice, but isn't a fair comparison of "profitable" as your mining rig is probably only using ~475W of the 2525W you're calculating against.
frediiii

Activity: 335
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 02:55:55 PM

I'm minting around 5 LTC/day with two 7970s and a few xeon CPUs on free electricity. that's 150 LTC/month at currently 3.7 USD/LTC... 555USD/month is nice
bitchess

Activity: 42

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 03:02:57 PM

Although the Network Ghash goes up, and the PPS goes down (BTC Guild), price per USD of each bitcoin still goes up overall, which is one common comparison of the value of Bitcoin.

So my GPUs are still considered profitable, being already paid off many times, and thanks to cheap electricity rates here. As of right now, I can mine about $294 USD of BTC per month (0.07 BTC x 30 days x $140 USD) but my electricity bill is never more than $200. I check this every week or so. Sometimes maybe a week is bad, right now it is good.

Overall it has been very good, and my almost 2 year run has been profitable, starting with just one GPU in a Mac Pro (Radeon 5770), purchased for other reasons, that I didn't even know had such capability, and now with the Mac Pro and two purpose built machines, made with used parts acquired cheap.

When do the ASICs take over? We are told last year, November? No, it's rubbish! Still now, April 2013, it's profitable for old paid-off GPUs to run. I predicted I might have to shut down in March, but no! Does anyone know?

Sorry, I call BS on this!  What Mhash/s do you get on a Radeon 5770 to be able to earn .07 BTC per day these days?  Please share as I'm sure many people who also only own GPUs would like to know.
frediiii

Activity: 335
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 03:06:22 PM

Sorry, I call BS on this!  What Mhash/s do you get on a Radeon 5770 to be able to earn .07 BTC per day these days?  Please share as I'm sure many people who also only own GPUs would like to know.

you should read more carefully... " starting with just one GPU in a Mac Pro (Radeon 5770) [...] and now with the Mac Pro and two purpose built machines, made with used parts acquired cheap."
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 03:06:54 PM

No idea what the OP is really getting, but http://dustcoin.com/mining says that you need 1250MH/s for 0.07 BTC per day
BBQKorv

Activity: 280

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 09:42:02 AM

Oh, definitely profitable. Even plain old BTC mining is good in here. Right now I have pointed few rigs to LTC, around 20LTC per day incoming with a power cost of about 15USD per day. LTC being +4USD you can easily do the math.
bitchess

Activity: 42

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 02:30:06 PM
Last edit: April 27, 2013, 02:50:47 PM by bitchess

Sorry, I call BS on this!  What Mhash/s do you get on a Radeon 5770 to be able to earn .07 BTC per day these days?  Please share as I'm sure many people who also only own GPUs would like to know.

you should read more carefully... " starting with just one GPU in a Mac Pro (Radeon 5770) [...] and now with the Mac Pro and two purpose built machines, made with used parts acquired cheap."

yay, you found a word that invalidates my comment.  I stand corrected.

Can I still ask the question to the OP, what are the specs of the two purpose built machines you refer to?
Valalvax

Activity: 437

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 06:25:16 PM

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure he has a couple 5830s, maybe 3 per rig (it's been a while... lol)
Badnews

Activity: 9

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 01:24:01 PM

I make profit, electric is included in the rent Smiley
so with my 7970 i would make $135 says this site http://dustcoin.com/mining
my computer use 400w per hour and that would cost around $50-60 per month here in Sweden
seljo
Legendary

Activity: 1178
Merit: 1014

Hodling since 2011.®

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 08:38:40 PM

6 Gh/s, no electricity bill, you do the math.

Hodling since 2011.®
WildFire.ca

Activity: 980
Merit: 503

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 10:08:18 PM

I am still profitable but barley. I am bringing in about 1 BTC a month at the moment. I will be turning off my miner as soon as I flat line,, I suspect this will in 1 - 2 months. My hardware costs were written off a long time ago, so if your counting on buying new equipment to mine with your wasting your time and would be better off spending the money on BTC and trying to get in too the next batch of mining technology that comes out.

.Minter.                       ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                  ▄▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄▄
               ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
            ,▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
          ,▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
         ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
        ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
       ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    █▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      █▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓▓▄   ▀▓▀   ▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
     ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▄     ▄▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
     ╟▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▄ ▄▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
     ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      ║▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
       ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
         ╙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
           ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
             ▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
                ▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀
                     ▀▀██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▀▀
||

╓▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒
▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀▀▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌        ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▀╜        ╙▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌                       ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                        ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▓▓▓▓▓▌         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌         ▓▓▓▓▓          ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓⌐         ▓▓▓▓▓         ╣▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▀█▀▀^         ╫▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌                      ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                     ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                 #▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
 ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
 ╙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
WALLET

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█
bonker

Activity: 784
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 10:09:59 PM

Switching over to Lytecoin and buying BTC with them.. makes more sense or something?

.Minter.                       ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                  ▄▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄▄
               ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
            ,▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
          ,▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
         ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
        ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
       ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    █▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      █▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓▓▄   ▀▓▀   ▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
     ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▄     ▄▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
     ╟▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▄ ▄▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
     ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      ║▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
       ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
         ╙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
           ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
             ▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
                ▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀
                     ▀▀██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▀▀
||

╓▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒
▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀▀▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌        ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▀╜        ╙▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌                       ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                        ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▓▓▓▓▓▌         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌         ▓▓▓▓▓          ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓⌐         ▓▓▓▓▓         ╣▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▀█▀▀^         ╫▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌                      ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                     ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                 #▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
 ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
 ╙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
WALLET

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█
mrich8 (OP)

Activity: 45

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 04:35:27 PM

Can I still ask the question to the OP, what are the specs of the two purpose built machines you refer to?

Well I guess only one is really purpose built - I forget the motherboard now, it's been so long, but it has 3 full length PCIe slots, one is 16x and the other are 4x, and they are all double spaced. Maybe it was MSI motherboard. I got the board with an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz for about $80 from a local shop, secondhand. I paid another $20 for a used full height ATX case and $80 for a new PSU adequate enough to run 2x5770 and 1x5830.

The other one is an old Compaq that was given to me several years ago that happens to have one PCIe 16x slot. It was otherwise unused so I upgraded the PSU and installed a 5850. It also runs my Bitcoin program.

Average price per kWh I pay is $0.091. My last bill was only $133 but it is because I have been able to leave the windows open and I do not have to run any heat. Other than mining I use little other electricity, except during summer where I have to run air conditioning.
Operatr

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2013, 06:20:43 AM

Burning FTC currently with my humble 1 ghash rig (3x 7850), making around $20 a day at present market value

ralree

Activity: 518

Manateeeeeeees

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 12:17:05 AM

I've been mining FTC and LTC for around $50/day after power cost with 8 GPUs

1MANaTeEZoH4YkgMYz61E5y4s9BYhAuUjG
firefop

Activity: 420

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 06:08:33 PM

Running sealed racks with shelved open chassis miners 2 or 3 or 4 cards each... AC'd in my garage.

Total power bill for the house ~$300/month

I have matched the hashing rate of my fpgas with gpu rigs - now clearing half a coin a day... (incidently when I started with only my existing gpus and a small order of bfl fpga, I was making 3 coins a day).

My income is dropping off a bit - but it's right where my educated guesses said it would be according to the difficultly increasing I expected.

Still making ~15btc a month. This puts my profit point ~20 usd/btc.

So yah, I'm not too worried about it... I know when to shut them off... and it isn't yet.

CoolIT

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 07:10:03 PM

2x 6950's
2x 6870's
2x 6570's

3 litecoins a day
Free electricity at the office Cheesy

It's smallfry monthly income, but it's fun and the hardware takes no time to pay itself off.
ryepdx

Activity: 714

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 11:02:16 PM

5.5 Gh/s with 7 6990s. $325/month in electricity, about 7.2 BTC gross a month. (~4 BTC profit per month, at current prices.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: