Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 01:53:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Tether: not even a scam  (Read 31043 times)
mvillar

Activity: 266
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 12:36:18 AM

There's a lot of FUD around tether right now, but what makes all these remarks distinct from other cryptos that are only used as money?

Get the best airdrops at https://t.me/only_the_best_airdrops

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
romani245

Activity: 267
Merit: 255

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 12:44:09 AM

There's a lot of FUD around tether right now, but what makes all these remarks distinct from other cryptos that are only used as money?

The difference is that Tether isn't a decentralized cryptocurrency. Its ledger is centrally administered, and the entire idea of backing crypto with USD is centralized. That's why they were able to unilaterally hard fork immediately after the recent hack. Tether.to is 100% in control of the ledger, and users have to trust them.

I gotta say, this "media offensive" that Bitfinex/Tether apparently went on is pretty disappointing. They didn't say anything new, just repeated "audit coming soon." Roll Eyes
dektox

Activity: 114
Merit: 7

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 06:29:51 PM

The last audit they have is dated 15 Sep 2017 and audit was only for "internal use".

Some consulting firm said: "We are a consulting firm, Tether management team asked us to have a look at their accounts, we've looked at the bank account and found ~420 M USD, which we report to the management"
ulhaq

Activity: 503
Merit: 286

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 10:00:33 PM

The market cap is now well over a billion: $1,228,723,761

Since they have announced that they cannot serve US customers, where is all the USD coming from that is being deposited and allowing them to issue more tether?

Are people depositing USD from other countries? Any non-US customers having trouble with withdrawals into fiat?
Pumuckel21

Activity: 868
Merit: 251

Empowering crypto w/ sustainable energy

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 08:42:59 PM

Can someone please explain me, how it can be that the amount of circulating theter is increasing since january pretty strong ?
Does this mean they can print money ? Why is there no inflation ?

▄█▄▀█████████████▀ ▐
     ▄███▄▀███████████▀ ▐ ▐
    ▄█████▄▀█████████▀ ▐ ▐ ▐
   ▄████████ ███████  ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐
  ███████████        ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐
 ███████████          ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐
███████████            ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐
 ███████████          ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐
  ███████████        ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐
   ▀████████ ███████  ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐
    ▀█████▀▄█████████▄ ▐ ▐ ▐
     ▀███▀▄███████████▄ ▐ ▐
      ▀█▀▄█████████████▄ ▐
GXBLOCKS                ▄▄█████▄▄
              ▄███████████▄
         ▄▄▄▄███████████████
       ▄█████████████████████▄▄
  ▄▄▄███████████████████████████▄
 ▄███████████▀▀▀    ▀▀████████████▄
▐█████████▀  ▄▄█████▄▄  ▀██████████
▐████████  ▄██▀▀▀  ▀███▄  ████████▌
 ███████  ▄███▄  ▄▄  ███▄  ██████▀
  ▀▀████  █████      ████  ▐███▀
          █████  ███  ███
           ███      ▄███
            ▀▀███████▀▀
10 %  PRESALE
BONUS
▄████▄
██████
██████
██████
▀▀  ▀▀
▄████▄
▄▄  ████████  ▄▄
▄▄█████▌ ▀██████▀ ▐█████▄▄
█████████▄  ▀▀▀▀  ▄█████████
▀█████▀▀   ██▄▄██   ▀▀█████▀
██████
▐██████▌
████████
Powered by
Renewable Energy
Sources
▄▄▄

▀▀▀
Whitepaper  ⬣ Twitter
Medium  ⬣ Facebook  ⬣ Reddit
LinkedIn  ⬣ Telegram
ulhaq

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 10:50:51 PM

Can someone please explain me, how it can be that the amount of circulating theter is increasing since january pretty strong ?
Does this mean they can print money ? Why is there no inflation ?

See my post right above yours. They can issue as much tether as they want, but they claim that they only do it 1:1 for each USD deposited in their bank account. But the question is where are these USD coming from, since they say they cannot service US customers.
cyber-i

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 10:44:21 PM

Can someone explain, how is the Tether foundation supposed to make any money if Tether was really fully backed by USD? I mean, what would the motivation of the founders be knowing the price won't go up at all?
ulhaq

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 06:08:30 AM

Can someone explain, how is the Tether foundation supposed to make any money if Tether was really fully backed by USD? I mean, what would the motivation of the founders be knowing the price won't go up at all?

Transaction fees from USDT + exchange fees for USD to USDT and USDT to USD.
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 06:17:00 AM

Hey if all the governments of the world can create fiat out of thin air, then why not BitFinex? As long as people believe 1 Tether = $1 USD, it can moderately inflate till infinity. I mean it still have a long way to go to match the amount of fiat the world government is pumping out every day.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
adekogbe

Activity: 854
Merit: 21

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2018, 03:05:49 PM

Tether prices aren't all that encouraging at the moment and the issues with exchanges too is not helping, but I think in a couple of months, after its proven that its not a scam, I see the coin pumping up.
Pump to the moon

cyber-i

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 03:58:22 PM

Tether prices aren't all that encouraging at the moment and the issues with exchanges too is not helping, but I think in a couple of months, after its proven that its not a scam, I see the coin pumping up.
Pump to the moon

The whole idea of tether is to be pegged to USD. Any increase or pump would actually be counterproductive.
Kruddler

Activity: 51
Merit: 56

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 06:17:00 AM

Tether was fine until some exchanges like Kraken hate it. Tether to the moon! I expect a Tether pump soon.

Agreed. During the latest downturn, I mortgaged my house and maxed out my credit card to buy tether. It's definitely going to go up this week.
cryptohashbrown

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 10:01:37 PM

Ok, there's something I don't get,

Please, ELI5 here. Tether's utility within the crypto community is to provide safe-parking for your gains when the market is going red, right? Why does it matter whether or not you can cash out USDT if you could cash out changing to BTC and going to any fiat exchange?

I can see why Tether should have a 1:1 back up in some bank, ethically... But for market purposes, all they need to do is keep their value pegged to relative $USD within exchanges.

Idk, is there something I'm missing? Can't see what all the fuzz is about besides negative media attention...
NaissuR

Activity: 126

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 10:06:08 PM

thether is the real bitcoin i hodl

GR92

Activity: 126
Merit: 90

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 10:49:06 PM

So where can I transfer my dollar? Grin
ulhaq

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 09:03:58 AM

Please, ELI5 here. Tether's utility within the crypto community is to provide safe-parking for your gains when the market is going red, right? Why does it matter whether or not you can cash out USDT if you could cash out changing to BTC and going to any fiat exchange?

I can see why Tether should have a 1:1 back up in some bank, ethically... But for market purposes, all they need to do is keep their value pegged to relative $USD within exchanges.

Idk, is there something I'm missing? Can't see what all the fuzz is about besides negative media attention...

Because they cannot control the "peg". The price is based on what people are willing to pay for it. That's why the value is not always $1 USD, it fluctuates up and down. If people lose confidence because they cannot exchange USDT for USD (because maybe they don't have the reserves), then the price of USDT will plummet.
jan.nicolas

Activity: 672

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 09:10:59 AM

This project is quite interesting from the point of view of listening. I would certainly not mind going and really seeing how much money they have, because they claim that they have so many funds. And if they began to discuss this amount of money, the number of bitcoins in their account, then I would call this project SCAM
HashieNewb

Activity: 616
Merit: 250

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 11:05:10 PM

thether is the real bitcoin i hodl
Tether is not the real Bitcoin, that's like calling Bitcoin Cash or Bitcoin Gold the real Bitcoin. Crazy.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
cryptohashbrown

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 04:47:07 PM

Because they cannot control the "peg". The price is based on what people are willing to pay for it. That's why the value is not always $1 USD, it fluctuates up and down. If people lose confidence because they cannot exchange USDT for USD (because maybe they don't have the reserves), then the price of USDT will plummet.

Great,

So under this logic, all they really need is a reasonable fractional reserve and that would make them as "legitimate" as any bank. I guess my position now is that I'd appreciate clarity from them on these grounds. I don't see that it would hurt them to disclose this information, instead of claiming to actually own all that money in fiat, which I doubt.

Thanks for answering.
cryptohashbrown

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 05:11:34 PM

Just want to share this in case someone missed it:

http://www.tetherreport.com/

It argues that Tether printing is what is driving the BTC market through fake demand. Seems pretty sound to me.

Please debate, I want it to be wrong.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: