Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 09:51:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: THE BITCOIN FOUNDATION, INC.  (Read 5476 times)
Dunster (OP)

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 09:21:20 AM
Last edit: April 26, 2013, 03:25:35 PM by Dunster

It's interesting that THE BITCOIN FOUNDATION, INC. conveniently and casually drop the  "INC." designation at the bottom of their website at https://bitcoinfoundation.org/.

If they are trying to hide the fact that they are a United States corporation, what else could they be hiding?

Edit: I have removed the link to the general counsel. On further thought, there is no need to make this personal. Bitcoin is supposed to be fun.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 09:26:36 AM

It's interesting that THE BITCOIN FOUNDATION, INC. conveniently and casually drop the  "INC." designation at the bottom of their website at https://bitcoinfoundation.org/.

If they are trying to hide the fact that they are a United States Corporation, what else could they be hiding?

Here is the lawyer behind the formation of this corporation:
http://www.avvo.com/attorneys/patrick-murck-1805177.html

This "foundation" is one of the biggest scams in Bitcoin.
greyhawk

Activity: 952

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 09:34:30 AM

There's way worse things about the "foundation" than that.

There's still no legal mailing adress. There's no privacy policy even though they gather personal data on the "join us" pages. They are accepting "donations" but there's no information on the tax status of this... company?/non-profit?/for-profit?/what the hell are they even?
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1520

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 09:38:05 AM

interesting!

kerogre256

Activity: 161
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 09:40:38 AM

Bitcoin foundation look like scam, we have to be very careful with any changes to code made( proposed ) by Gavin Andresen. Registere as no profit corporation lol.
Dunster (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 09:44:34 AM
Last edit: April 26, 2013, 03:26:53 PM by Dunster

Hopefully the development lead will come to the realization that there is a conflict of interest being involved with both Bitcoin and THE BITCOIN FOUNDATION, INC.

JackH

Activity: 381
Merit: 255

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 09:55:21 AM

We dont need anyone representing what cannot be controlled. This foundation is a mockery to our decentralized structure CREATED by Satoshi.

<helo> funny that this proposal grows the maximum block size to 8GB, and is seen as a compromise
<helo> oh, you don't like a 20x increase? well how about 8192x increase?
<JackH> lmao
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 10:17:05 AM

There's way worse things about the "foundation" than that.

There's still no legal mailing adress. There's no privacy policy even though they gather personal data on the "join us" pages. They are accepting "donations" but there's no information on the tax status of this... company?/non-profit?/for-profit?/what the hell are they even?

The privacy policy is an important point. Thank you for mentioning it.  Same with the tax status. Do you hade a back ground in this sort of thing? I think we could use someone who knows something about this. The foundation has a lot of work to do in addition to advancing Bitcoin. But bear in mind, the vast majority of the foundation membrrs are just like the members here...except we paid $30 (about 1/3 if what you would pay to join the Linux foundation).

I will put it on the agenda. Many thanks.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
greyhawk

Activity: 952

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 10:31:38 AM

Actually your lawyer board member should know about all these things. It's kinda surprising he hasn't noticed himself yet.
Dunster (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 10:36:59 AM

Above you can see that somebody involved with THE BITCOIN FOUNDATION, INC. is trying to "use" you.

Do you have a back ground in this sort of thing? I think we could use someone who knows something about this.

Additionally, they now admit they have other things to do as well as advancing Bitcoin. What is this hidden agenda?

The foundation has a lot of work to do in addition to advancing Bitcoin.

**** Well there you have it, a United States corporation is trying to take over Bitcoin. **** 

Good luck everyone.
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 10:37:40 AM

We dont need anyone representing what cannot be controlled. This foundation is a mockery to our decentralized structure CREATED by Satoshi.

They are just trying to get Bitcoin accepted by the masses and recognized by official media. Of course they have to be centralized if they ever want to succeed in doing that.

I don't mind that the Foundation exists - as you said: BITCOIN CANNOT BE CONTROLLED anyway, so why worry ?

Completely decentralized things don't work in the real world - that is why foundation exists: to create a bridge between the two worlds.

ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 10:41:19 AM

Above you can see that somebody involved with THE BITCOIN FOUNDATION, INC. is trying to "use" you.

Do you have a back ground in this sort of thing? I think we could use someone who knows something about this.

Additionally, they now admit they have other things to do as well as advancing Bitcoin. What is this hidden agenda?

The foundation has a lot of work to do in addition to advancing Bitcoin.

**** Well there you have it, a United States corporation is trying to take over Bitcoin. **** 

Good luck everyone.

This is extremely paranoid even by my standards and I am quite paranoid.

Dunster (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 10:44:37 AM

They are just trying to get Bitcoin accepted by the masses and recognized by official media. Of course they have to be centralized if they ever want to succeed in doing that.

I don't mind that the Foundation exists - as you said: BITCOIN CANNOT BE CONTROLLED anyway, so why worry ?

Completely decentralized things don't work in the real world - that is why foundation exists: to create a bridge between the two worlds.

The problem is that they self appointed themselves as the representatives of Bitcoin and have the lead developer under their control. They've admitted they would be "happy" to be regulated. They operate out of the United States and as such there is now the true possibility that the United States can control the Bitcoin code.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 10:45:58 AM

Obvious troll.  But I can't tell which side is getting trolled.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3413

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 10:49:22 AM

This is extremely paranoid even by my standards and I am quite paranoid.

I'm not paranoid. Which one of my enemies told you so?

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3413

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 10:50:49 AM

Well there you have it, a United States corporation is trying to take over Bitcoin.

The Bitcoin Foundation is not trying to take over anything.

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 11:03:32 AM

Despite the mythology which has sprung up around Satoshi, he didn't develop some comprehensive future plan for the future of Bitcoin.  He recognised it as an experiment and believed it should succeed or fail without him pushing it in a specific direction and believed - rightly - that how people actually used it would determine what Bitcoin became, irrespective of his personal ideology.

If you've ever been part of any grass roots movement, then you know that there are always multiple different agendas within such movements and that trying to get those factions to agree on even a few common goals is often a formidable task.  Very often, you end up with many different interest groups focusing on their own individual agendas and a peak body to which they all belong is eventually formed to carry out tasks which smaller organisations cannot.

There are many different agendas within "the Bitcoin community" and they cannot all be represented by a single body.  People need to get off their asses and start forming groups which promote the aspects of Bitcoin most important to them instead of complaining that someone else isn't promoting their agenda.

Y'all could have put together a non-profit to hold the Bitcoin trademark and to pay for development of the official client, but the people who actually got off their asses and did it were those with largely commercial interests in Bitcoin.  If you don't like their focus, then start forming other groups to address the issues you believe are important.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Dunster (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 11:11:15 AM

Y'all could have put together a non-profit to hold the Bitcoin trademark and to pay for development of the official client, but the people who actually got off their asses and did it were those with largely commercial interests in Bitcoin.  If you don't like their focus, then start forming other groups to address the issues you believe are important.

And now its come out that "they" hold the Bitcoin trademark. Unbelievable.

And now pay for development of the official client. (Control the lead developer)

**** THE BITCOIN FOUNDATION, INC. now owns  you. ****
ninjaboon
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 11:13:24 AM

Despite the mythology which has sprung up around Satoshi, he didn't develop some comprehensive future plan for the future of Bitcoin.  He recognised it as an experiment and believed it should succeed or fail without him pushing it in a specific direction and believed - rightly - that how people actually used it would determine what Bitcoin became, irrespective of his personal ideology.

If you've ever been part of any grass roots movement, then you know that there are always multiple different agendas within such movements and that trying to get those factions to agree on even a few common goals is often a formidable task.  Very often, you end up with many different interest groups focusing on their own individual agendas and a peak body to which they all belong is eventually formed to carry out tasks which smaller organisations cannot.

There are many different agendas within "the Bitcoin community" and they cannot all be represented by a single body.  People need to get off their asses and start forming groups which promote the aspects of Bitcoin most important to them instead of complaining that someone else isn't promoting their agenda.

++11. sounds like a reasonable argument.

Impaler

Activity: 826
Merit: 250

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 11:37:34 AM

From what I've heard the 'community' as represented by this thread is in fact in perfect agreement with Satashi's ideology of Austrian economics, Libertarianism and anti-government paranoia.  And their is a comprehensive future plan for BTC, its called the 21 million coin cap and that was dictated by Satoshi under his belief that scarcity was the fundamental reason why money is valuable and it is vigilantly guarded by his like-minded followers to this day.  So lets not kid ourselves about central planning and central 'vision' controlling BTC simply because the mysterious founder has disappeared.  BTC is starving for any kind of original thinking because the only person who would be remotely acceptable to the community to provide such thinking dose not provide it.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆