Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:13:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: So what the hell are we supposed to buy?  (Read 3298 times)
Remember remember the 5th of November (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 11:30:52 AM

As it's apparent ASICs are coming/here, I also want to get in, but unlike most rich people, and I mean rich about people whose standards are that 10k is cheap,normal and can be gotten within 2-3 months of work or whatever.

I have only $1400-1500 atm and this amount is very big by my standards, what can I get with this amount that will have worth hashing at the absurd difficulties that will follow? $1400-500 with the intention of getting a done unit, not DYI that costs more and is worthless in speed unless you have 700btc, which I do not.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1226

Away on an extended break

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 11:33:58 AM

As it's apparent ASICs are coming/here, I also want to get in, but unlike most rich people, and I mean rich about people whose standards are that 10k is cheap,normal and can be gotten within 2-3 months of work or whatever.

I have only $1400-1500 atm and this amount is very big by my standards, what can I get with this amount that will have worth hashing at the absurd difficulties that will follow? $1400-500 with the intention of getting a done unit, not DYI that costs more and is worthless in speed unless you have 700btc, which I do not.
$1400-1500 for a done unit? Drop an order with BFL and pray to whatever god you believe that they'll ship your order to you before next year.

Or try a DIY/assembled by others unit via Avalon's chip orders.
r3animation

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 11:34:23 AM

Only choice you have is to join in the group buy of the Avalon ASIC chips and DIY them or get someone else to assemble them for you.

Another option, I would say is BFL 5 GH/s miners but who knows when you'll get them but to be fair they have started shipping. Albeit in tiny tiny quantities.
tutkarz

Activity: 546
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 11:35:55 AM

You dont even have to count asics. Popularity of bitcoin alone brings hundreds of people who are setting up they own miners. It is makeing enough difficulty increase. There is no solution to that, only bitcoin price should increase enough to make mining worthwhile.

rograz

Activity: 575

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 11:53:24 AM

There's always the gamble that LTC mining will stay profitable long enough to make a profit from GPU mining, at this point I would say the roi predictions on a BFL order placed today and a GPU rig are about the same, and GPUs are a lot easier to recoup part of the investment from rather than an ASIC that can't reach profitability ;P

If you must have an asic then as said before really your only option is the DIY Avalon projects, the BFL predictions seems to be around 3-6 months to clear out CURRENT orders, IF and WHEN they start shipping their "400 units a day" (Singles wont start shipping until early next month at best)

It's interesting how the high risk has shifted from buying BTC directly to now buying mining gear. Back in the days buying mining gear was considered the safe option since after all you still had your hardware to sell.
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 12:07:11 PM

With all due respect, you have no idea who is rich and who is not.  Nor do you know what priorities/sacrifices people will make to buy the higher priced hardware.

Haven't we all heard enough childish whining about "only rich people can mine now"?

Your choices are very simple.  Buy an ASIC or don't buy an ASIC.  How much you or can or are willing spend is completely independent of how rich you are.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1226

Away on an extended break

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 12:09:12 PM

With all due respect, you have no idea who is rich and who is not.  Nor do you know what priorities/sacrifices people will make to buy the higher priced hardware.

Haven't we all heard enough childish whining about "only rich people can mine now"?

Your choices are very simple.  Buy an ASIC or don't buy an ASIC.  How much you or can or are willing spend is completely independent of how rich you are.
I've been eating stale bread for months to get my shiny ASIC.  Cry

PS: Just joking, but you get the idea of what people sacrifice for something you think they took for granted.
northcape

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 12:10:36 PM

So what the hell are we supposed to buy?

Bitcoin, I guess.
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 12:13:25 PM

PS: Just joking, but you get the idea of what people sacrifice for something you think they took for granted.

I've heard rich people like stale bread. Smiley

Legendary

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 12:26:39 PM

Only choice you have is to join in the group buy of the Avalon ASIC chips and DIY them or get someone else to assemble them for you.

Another option, I would say is BFL 5 GH/s miners but who knows when you'll get them but to be fair they have started shipping. Albeit in tiny tiny quantities.
The group buy is for chips, that need to be assembled at 80 euro or more per module(which is 10 chips).

No joke here, I've had stale bread many times, simply because there is not enough money.

Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 12:29:32 PM

Am I the only one who kind of like the taste of stale bread?  Tongue

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 12:29:58 PM

It just so happens I have a post that you might find helpful:

http://organofcorti.blogspot.com/2013/04/915-fair-price-for-asic-miner.html

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
Legendary

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 12:30:27 PM

By stale I did mean it had mold.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 02:03:32 PM

Bitcoin, I guess.

Seriously.  Ask the people who plunked down 150+ BTC in June 2012 for a BFL single if they today had the option would they take back the 150 BTC or would they still want deliver of their ASIC single.

Mining has very rarely returned more than 1 BTC per BTC invested.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 02:05:04 PM

Bitcoin, I guess.

Seriously.  Ask the people who plunked down 150+ BTC in June 2012 for a BFL single if they today had the option would they take back the 150 BTC or would they still want deliver of their ASIC single.

Mining has very rarely returned more than 1 BTC per BTC invested.

That kind of depends a lot on how long ago you started mining.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 02:13:33 PM

Mining now is certainly not like mining then.

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
cdog

Activity: 1036

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 03:16:49 PM

Mining is pretty much solely predicated on the notion that the coins you mine will go up in value - longterm.

If you are looking for quick profits, try your luck at bitcoin poker.

Personally, Ive made a lot more BTC on Seals With Clubs than by mining which is incredibly slow and just gets slower.
DPoS

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 12:50:50 AM

he could of been rich with faith & luck and got first batch avalon for cheap!

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 01:34:04 AM

he could of been rich with faith & luck and got first batch avalon for cheap!

He and I both.  I'm still kicking myself for preordering a Jalapeno for 13.4 BTC when I could have preordered an Avalon.  But I thought that was too much of a risk.

But you make a very good point sir.
Sam

arklan
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 06:02:45 PM

the cheapest right now is the alreayd mentioned "diy miner" using avalon chips and assembled by burnin.

however, ASICminer should shortly be auctioning it's so called "honeybee" miners - single asic chips ready to plug in to a USB slot and mine at about 300mhash. the pricing is up in the air though, for now.

i don't post much, but this space for rent.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: