Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 07:58:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The new design of BFL Single  (Read 6512 times)
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 07:52:42 PM

"BFL_StevenM (Shoutbox): We are trying to fit the 25/30 in the original Single SC case with modification, but no promises."

What idiots. The Single case was originally designed for 20 watts, and that's a nice thermal envelope for it. Then when reality hit and the actual FPGA single output 80+ watts, they had to stick another loud fan underneath it to keep it alive. Now they want to cram some 150 or more watts into the same case? Idiots!

Except that you are totally wrong, they don't want to cram some 150watts into the same case, that's why they have designed a new larger case for it, the topic of this thread.

Did you even bother to read the quote I quoted? "the original Single SC case"

Buy & Hold
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 07:53:57 PM

Hopefully they use this case for both the 25 and 50 GH/s units, I don't want my little single crammed into the original single housing.

According to the BFL news feed, this new case can house two of the new boards, so it's looking like the 50GH/s units will have two boards while the 25 would only have one inside.

"...25/30/50/60 SC case"

"BFL_StevenM (Shoutbox): We are trying to fit the 25/30 in the original Single SC case with modification, but no promises."

At least they're trying:

erk

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 07:55:49 PM

What idiots. The Single case was originally designed for 20 watts, and that's a nice thermal envelope for it. Then when reality hit and the actual FPGA single output 80+ watts, they had to stick another loud fan underneath it to keep it alive. Now they want to cram some 150 or more watts into the same case? Idiots!

Except that you are totally wrong, they don't want to cram some 150watts into the same case, that's why they have designed a new larger case for it, the topic of this thread.

Of course I read your post, you claimed they were trying to stuff 150watts into the original single SC case and I said that you are totally wrong, that's not what they are trying to do and I stick by that.

Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 07:58:42 PM

Of course I read your post, you claimed they were trying to stuff 150watts into the original single SC case and I said that you are totally wrong, that's not what they are trying to do and I stick by that.

5 GH/s = 30 watts
25 GH/s = X watts

Can you solve for X?

Buy & Hold
erk

Activity: 826

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 08:04:35 PM

5 GH/s = 30 watts
25 GH/s = X watts

Can you solve for X?

Now what game are you playing, you want me to work out where the 150watts comes from, I already no that the Single will probably consume around 150 watts, are you trying to make some new point or are you still trying to convince me that they are trying to put 150watts into the old case, or do you simply suffer from poor reading comprehension?

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 08:40:33 PM

Looks almost like a toaster.. Make some slots on top...

Yeah, the heat might still be enough to fry some eggs, too  Grin

Nice.  Along with the coffee warmer, they're heading for a complete breakfast set.

MiniRig = Full Sized Oven?

ROFL!

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 08:44:06 PM

5 GH/s = 30 watts
25 GH/s = X watts

Can you solve for X?

Now what game are you playing, you want me to work out where the 150watts comes from, I already no that the Single will probably consume around 150 watts, are you trying to make some new point or are you still trying to convince me that they are trying to put 150watts into the old case, or do you simply suffer from poor reading comprehension?

Nice new forum profile created April 14th....

BFL shill?

I tend to think so.

How would some newbie know so much about BFL so quickly and have such an "opinion" of them?

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

minternj

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 09:49:35 PM

Definitely toaster like. Should put in some recessed cupholders for coffee warming since that was the intent of the original jalapeno.

Warning about Nitrogensports.eu
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=709114.0
computerparts

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 10:11:28 PM

I think it looks good (although could use some improvements) and it's still tiny compared to an Avalon. One Avalon probably has the displacement of 6 of these. Things are starting to look grim for Avalon batch 2 and especially batch 3 buyers.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 10:41:11 PM

5 GH/s = 30 watts
25 GH/s = X watts

Can you solve for X?

Nice new forum profile created April 14th....

BFL shill?

I tend to think so.

How would some newbie know so much about BFL so quickly and have such an "opinion" of them?
Oh shit!

erk you have been found out! Quick jump out the nearest BFL window to hide yourself as an piece of evidence...

(Note: The interesting question is why is erk is defending BFL in all their screwups? There isn't a logical point to doing so. There isn't anything to be happy about except that delivery of a sub-par product is finally trickling out. Beyond that, there isn't anything to be happy about. Overpower, oversized and later than Jesus's second coming.)
Frizz23

Activity: 1162

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 10:43:44 PM

"erk" is either retarded, or ... well, retarded.
No other explanation.
Even for a BFL shill his stupidity is just ridiculous.

Ξtherization⚡️First P2E 2016⚡️🏰💎🌈 etherization.org
hous

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 10:48:38 PM

if i ordered 2 x 60gh units how many units am i getting now?
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 10:56:31 PM
Last edit: April 27, 2013, 11:08:48 PM by PuertoLibre

I still recall Inaba throwing crap at Avalon customers for the size of our units. Except we got them early (enough) and they have been hashing for a little over a month. They are on spec, they work (99% of the time) and they did what was promised.

Now the story with BFL is entirely different....
Products disappeared overnight, and all prices for new customers doubled:
The Jalapeno disappeared and now has evolved into a two chip monster. Don't ask him about the number of chips shortages to come and how that will affect people down the line. The Mini-Rig also disappeared.

Now Inaba is virtually silent on the power and "being green" issue. He probably does not want to tell his customers that each BFL product is an electric hog compared to the original specs. What he was always adamant would never happen to his products. Their profitability over the long term is now closer to that of an Avalon (or much less) with two key differences.

A) The Avalons came out ~on time~ so each customer has plenty of Cash or Bitcoins. The BFL ASIC customers in contrast have lost all that time as "unrecoverable funds" from each delay after delay in the face of increasing difficulty. Their customers are late to the game.
B) The Avalons are actually upgradeable. The Avalons are 66~74GH/s while the BFL's are stuck in nuetral at 60GH/s....we hope....
BFL's 65nm chips perform nearly as bad as 110nm chips.

Inaba is also silent on the fact that their product has grown larger in it's footprint by the day. The compact nature and selling point is all but gone.

Inaba is silent on "competitive GigaHash performance" upgrades owed to their customers. (BFL hampsters are getting 60Gh/s units while Avalon customers got nearly 70GH/s+) Which means BFL customers now have the inferior product.

I could go on, but you'd pretty much get the idea...

johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 11:42:31 PM

I still recall Inaba throwing crap at Avalon customers for the size of our units. Except we got them early (enough) and they have been hashing for a little over a month. They are on spec, they work (99% of the time) and they did what was promised.

Now the story with BFL is entirely different....
Products disappeared overnight, and all prices for new customers doubled:
The Jalapeno disappeared and now has evolved into a two chip monster. Don't ask him about the number of chips shortages to come and how that will affect people down the line. The Mini-Rig also disappeared.

Now Inaba is virtually silent on the power and "being green" issue. He probably does not want to tell his customers that each BFL product is an electric hog compared to the original specs. What he was always adamant would never happen to his products. Their profitability over the long term is now closer to that of an Avalon (or much less) with two key differences.

A) The Avalons came out ~on time~ so each customer has plenty of Cash or Bitcoins. The BFL ASIC customers in contrast have lost all that time as "unrecoverable funds" from each delay after delay in the face of increasing difficulty. Their customers are late to the game.
B) The Avalons are actually upgradeable. The Avalons are 66~74GH/s while the BFL's are stuck in nuetral at 60GH/s....we hope....

Inaba is also silent on the fact that their product has grown larger in it's footprint by the day. The compact nature and selling point is all but gone.

Inaba is silent on "competitive GigaHash performance" upgrades owed to their customers. (BFL hampsters are getting 60Gh/s units while Avalon customers got nearly 70GH/s+) Which means BFL customers now have the inferior product.

I could go on, but you'd pretty much get the idea...

Why take it so personal? Because Josh honored you by your not ordering at BFL?  Grin

witherworth

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 12:54:21 AM

Wait, what? I thought, chip for chip, BFL's chips seriously outperform the Avalon ones. Hence why Avalon uses 108 or something chips to achieve 60GH/s, while BFL only uses (im assuming) 16. And while they did seriously miss their power specs, the point is still true that they're more energy efficient per GH/s. I don't run with the "well, everything is alright" crew, as it clearly is not, but at the same time, anyone expecting BFL to ship on time is an idiot, and anyone expecting BFL to be even reasonably close with their power estimates is also incredibly stupid. From the get-go, I knew they would be delayed at a minimum of 4-5 months. So I took that into account. I also knew that they'd miss their power target significantly (not nearly as significantly as they did, but I still knew they'd miss it). I don't support the "BFL are all assholes and fuck everything up" nor the "BFL will make everything alright". I stick to facts. Fact is they've screwed up a lot of things, but do appear to be shipping out now. The quoted section is nowhere near fact. You can say that ordering a batch 1 Avalon is a lot better than a first day BFL, sure (citing the fact that what those customers have now earned will last them thousands of years of electricity costs based on the fact that Avalon uses more electricity than a BFL for same hash power - they're already and forever will be ahead). But based on 2 actual products that exist and have been shown to exist by serveral customers with them in hand, you can't start coming up with crap to troll BFL customers with (despite how entertaining it is from time to time).
nathanrees19

Activity: 196

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 01:52:26 AM

...usual avalon dick sucking shit...

Are you ever going to change your sig?

Edit: I also love sucking BFL cock, in case anyone was wondering.
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 01:53:36 AM

...usual avalon awesomeness...

I love to suck BFL cock

ohrly?

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

nathanrees19

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 01:56:22 AM

Wait, what? I thought, chip for chip, BFL's chips seriously outperform the Avalon ones. Hence why Avalon uses 108 or something chips to achieve 60GH/s

Avalon actually uses 240 chips...
nathanrees19

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 01:58:08 AM

I don't know, you may be confusing me with the guy that's had (access to) a little single for a month...
nathanrees19

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 02:02:15 AM

Remember when I predicted that their super secret hidden killer feature (which turned out to be that) would be near-useless? You can only "upgrade" them by ordering more ASIC modules from Avalon, with effectively zero cost saving per GH/s compared to just getting more units. The new BFL single design will still pack more GH/s into a smaller space and at a lower cost. When it finally ships, of course.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: