Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:24:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Antbleed: A remote shutdown backdoor in antminers  (Read 8076 times)
tobacco123

Activity: 552
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 27, 2017, 03:05:59 PM

Is this the main reason of the drastic drop in BU hashing rate, and the increase in price over these two days? Has Jihan provided any argument or explanation?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Nagadota

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

ClaimWithMe - the most paying faucet of all times!

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2017, 03:20:47 PM

the claim is that 70% of the hashrate is using Bitmain's hardware.

proof of claim? please dont refer to reddit or twitter
I have no proof of that claim, nor do I claim that it is true. I am simply stating that that is what people are saying, not that they are saying that Bitmain directly controls that much hashpower (which is what you said).
Seems pretty likely though, considering just how dominant BITMAIN is over that industry (very).

No one could realistically claim that BITMAIN don't have too much control.  If they managed to cause a problem with other people's miners (which they probably could) they could use their own vast mining power to do a 51% attack.

Decentralisation is necessary in all aspects of Bitcoin.

leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 27, 2017, 06:59:27 PM

Lmao. This pretty much invalidates anything jonald the troll says from now on. The blocksize obsessed trolls/paid shills can't see beyond what number the blocksize has.
A guy has a mining monopoly capable of killing the network? Who cares, just raise the blocksize!!
Those trolls should be banned.

+1

Here we have it R.I.P BU Troll Jonald Fyookball and paid shill Franky1.

Is that for real? I was under the impression that Jonald was intelligent. "I don't care if Stalin is shady I like his uniform" ... holy crap  Shocked

Truth is the new hatespeech.
lurker10

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 27, 2017, 07:30:44 PM

Bitmain fucked up, with no malice as is revealed by the open nature of their code on github. Malware writers do not publish their code for the whole world to see.

Their fuck-up does NOT make Segwit less dangerous and more acceptable. Segwit, BU - both of them are garbage and insecure solutions. Bitcoin should be left as a safe haven crypto with no changes to the protocol.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4470

View Profile
April 27, 2017, 08:04:15 PM

Is that for real? I was under the impression that Jonald was intelligent. "I don't care if Stalin is shady I like his uniform" ... holy crap  Shocked

it would only be a worry if bitmain had a exploit against bitfury or bitfury had an exploit against bitmain..
but finding that bitmain "could" only access their own products and "if" they triggered anything they would end up with queues of refunds.. its not as big a deal as say a soft fork that bypasses real network consensus, to add code that if activated changes the network into a tier network without nodes consent/veto ability

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2017, 09:39:00 PM

Lmao. This pretty much invalidates anything jonald the troll says from now on. The blocksize obsessed trolls/paid shills can't see beyond what number the blocksize has.
A guy has a mining monopoly capable of killing the network? Who cares, just raise the blocksize!!
Those trolls should be banned.
+1

Here we have it R.I.P BU Troll Jonald Fyookball and paid shill Franky1.
Yes. Here's the archived version in case that the shill deletes their comments: https://archive.fo/SPPmJ

Bitmain fucked up, with no malice as is revealed by the open nature of their code on github. Malware writers do not publish their code for the whole world to see.
This is a false conclusion fallacy. Just because they have published their code on GitHub that premise does not in any way follow to a logical conclusion of benevolent behavior. The backdoor exists in all miners, and can be exploited by malicious actors. Whether that actor is going to be Bitmain or someone else is not of high importance.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
leopard2
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2017, 09:58:59 PM

it would only be a worry if bitmain had a exploit against bitfury or bitfury had an exploit against bitmain..
but finding that bitmain "could" only access their own products and "if" they triggered anything they would end up with queues of refunds.. its not as big a deal as say a soft fork that bypasses real network consensus, to add code that if activated changes the network into a tier network without nodes consent/veto ability

I see. So you would buy a Chinese car, which can be disabled by the Chinese car manufacturer which in turn has close ties to Chinese government (and all Chinese companies have close ties, to say it very nicely)

And you would say "As long as Ford does not have the exploit against my car I am not worried", well maybe you should cut down on your happy pills LOL  Cheesy

With all those happy pills, you can, of course, not see the dangerous situation that would have arisen if a large portion of the worlds hash power could have been disabled instantly (various attacks possible, 51% and below)  Roll Eyes

BTW refunds??!! From China??!!

leopard2
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2017, 10:02:31 PM

Their fuck-up does NOT make Segwit less dangerous and more acceptable. Segwit, BU - both of them are garbage and insecure solutions. Bitcoin should be left as a safe haven crypto with no changes to the protocol.

That is true, Jihad, Antbleed and Asicboost does not mean, Segwit (with blocksize limitation) is good.

-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 1632

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2017, 10:14:16 PM

That is true, Jihad, Antbleed and Asicboost does not mean, Segwit (with blocksize limitation) is good.
Correct, segwit is good absolutely, not relatively.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
Decoded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1029

give me your cryptos

View Profile
April 27, 2017, 10:29:49 PM

You'd think that if bitmain were to cease development on minerlink, they would remove all related code, or even announce that they are working on a fix.

Great to see there are people looking out for these exploits, but I think bitmain really screwed up here.

looking for a signature campaign, dm me for that
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2017, 10:31:02 PM

all i read is racial slurs against a country.
now to the real debate BITCOIN network code
long term view not temporary drama that is forgotton about after minutes/days

think about the big picture

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Naokia980

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

★PlayAmo.com★

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2017, 10:32:19 PM

now to the real debate BITCOIN network code

Big picture is alwasy cloudy. First start from low level and dont think about big picture Roll Eyes

franky1
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2017, 10:35:31 PM

You'd think that if bitmain were to cease development on minerlink, they would remove all related code, or even announce that they are working on a fix.

Great to see there are people looking out for these exploits, but I think bitmain really screwed up here.

has anyone looked at bitcoin cores DNS seed managed by mainly blockstreamers

vSeeds.push_back(CDNSSeedData("bitcoin.sipa.be", "seed.bitcoin.sipa.be", true)); // Pieter Wuille, only supports x1, x5, x9, and xd
        vSeeds.push_back(CDNSSeedData("bluematt.me", "dnsseed.bluematt.me", true)); // Matt Corallo, only supports x9
        vSeeds.push_back(CDNSSeedData("dashjr.org", "dnsseed.bitcoin.dashjr.org")); // Luke Dashjr

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2017, 10:35:52 PM

Bitmain was active of this issue for several months, see GitHub: https://github.com/bitmaintech/bmminer/issues/7. They have only rushed to handle this once someone has been exposed to the wider public.

Facts != racial slurs.

Franky on ASICBOOST exposure: All is good. Ignore temporary drama.
Franky on AntBleed exposure: All is good. Ignore temporary drama.
Franky when someone mentions SegWit: "DOOMSDAY. TEMPORARY GESTURE. BLOCKSTREAM. BOMBS."
 Cheesy

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
leopard2
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2017, 10:37:34 PM

Godwin's law has been fulfilled, almost.

I now assume you are a shill, after all, calling critics racist is exactly what a shill would do to push his agenda. Thank you for the clarification. Smiley

franky1
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2017, 10:47:54 PM

Franky when someone mentions SegWit: "DOOMSDAY. TEMPORARY GESTURE. BLOCKSTREAM. BOMBS."
 Cheesy

lol
lauda you make me laugh

segwit end user features that core promise and promote are the empty promise temporary gesture. but the tier network and control is less than temporary.
PS read the core code and documentation about biasedly rejecting blocks and disconnecting from nodes purely out of version bias, not out of rule validity.

its really time you took some time to read less of reddit and more of the actual details

franky1
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2017, 10:51:17 PM

I now assume you are a shill, after all, calling critics racist is exactly what a shill would do to push his agenda. Thank you for the clarification. Smiley

call me what you like.
but now you have go all the insults off your chest
go research and try seeing the big picture from the point of view of the bitcoin network.
dont wear the blockstream defence cap.
wear the critical thinking cap.

dont read the reddit scripts. read the code and documentation
again not with the utopian dreamer blockstream defence cap

look at the big picture, the long term picture.
and be truly critical.
maybe even worth you repeating to yourself "what if hearne coded this" just to keep your critical mind on track

i will just leave you with this thought.
knowing that changing PoW requires a network consnsus upgrade to achieve it
instead of doubling down on threats just to push segwit as is but done hard.. the blockstream team and fanboys should think of plan B
if they are going to pull a pin... actually recode segwit to be 1 merkle and a proper network wide 4mb that is also dynamic and add other community desird features.
dont waste the blockstream triggered hard fork event if soft fails to activate, purely to push opposition away, use it to unite the community with proper non cesspit creating network

Hydrogen
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441

View Profile
April 27, 2017, 10:53:01 PM

There's a webpage devoted to this topic..

http://antbleed.com

Its hard to tell what's true or not, but antbleed being associated with antpool which is one of the largest supporters of bitcoin unlimited.

And so maybe its not difficult to see where the politics come into play here, with many attempting to trivialize this due to them not wanting more criticism against BU.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2017, 11:02:32 PM

Godwin's law has been fulfilled, almost.

I've warned you already. You didn't listen to my posts; could have saved yourself some time.

Cheesy
lol
lauda you make me laugh

segwit end user features that core promise and promote are the empty promise temporary gesture. but the tier network and control is less than temporary.
PS read the core code and documentation about biasedly rejecting blocks and disconnecting from nodes purely out of version bias, not out of rule validity.
Ironically you still don't even understand my post yet claim to read and actually understand the code (not even in fantasies). Both ASICBOOST and AntBleed are evil. Until you are willing to both accept and admit this fact, you are obviously very biased and/or paid. Politics and scaling aside, the statement about A&A is factual.

Its hard to tell what's true or not, but antbleed being associated with antpool which is one of the largest supporters of bitcoin unlimited.
It's very easy to see what's true. It takes <30 seconds. Stop shit posting for your campaign.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Hydrogen
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441

View Profile
April 27, 2017, 11:05:55 PM

It's very easy to see what's true. It takes <30 seconds. Stop shit posting for your campaign.

lol if you know the answer, tell me.

I know there's a backdoor. Is it an old backdoor? Is it relevent? There are standard backdoors in everything from hardware routers to iphones(I'm not certain many posting in this thread know that).

Not everyone has time to look at the specifics of the exploit & figure out whether it can be used to gain root access in a way that would allow someone to steal crypto or do some other nefarious deeds.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: