Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 09:25:33 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do NOT declare that you have ever owned bitcoins  (Read 6508 times)
AlgoSwan

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

ancap

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 08:22:14 PM

There is a very simple solution to all of these: Remove all fiat money from BTC exchanges.

What do u expect to exchange bitcoins for in this case?

Anything except fiat money.

Looking to buy a verified betfair account with escrow.
Jobe7

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Now they are thinking what to do with me

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 08:54:39 PM

Urm,

If they ever made it illegal, send your bitcoins through a shared wallet to another wallet you own (or a trusted exchange), declare that you gave them away when they were made illegal (if ever asked) and continue to spend your bitcoins ....

but now, any country that decides to tax bitcoins gets a massive one up on the country that made it illegal .. hence why this will never happen, any country declaring it illegal to trade in bitcoin is severely shooting itself in own foot.
ewitte

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 08:45:28 PM

Fiat's days are numbered along with those that created the world we live in today

Donations
BTC - 13Lgy6fb4d3nSYEf2nkgBgyBkkhPw8zkPd
LTC - LegzRwyc2Xhu8cqvaW2jwRrqSnhyaYU6gZ
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 05:05:46 AM
Last edit: May 02, 2013, 04:14:53 AM by Matthew N. Wright

No one can ever accurately declare they've ever owned bitcoins, but bitcoins cannot be owned. I will declare that I have owned numerous encryption keys, though I cannot remember which or what relevance they had.

zebedee
Donator

Activity: 668

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 12:21:36 PM

Sort of along the same lines, technically calculating pi is illegal. Since it contains all finite bitstrings
Um, what makes you say that?  I'm pretty sure it's untrue.
1PFYcabWEwZFm2Ez5LGTx3ftz

Activity: 120

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 02:09:56 PM

In my opinion, it would be impossible to prove that you own bitcoins, unless you officially admitted it.

Consider the example of computer hacking - it is impossible to prove that you personally was doing the hacking, even if your IP gets logged during the hack. I have read about many cases where hackers were tracked by their IP and convicted, but in ALL those cases the hacker has admitted guilt. I have never ever read about a case, where someone would be convicted of hacking, only because of their IP, while they denied doing the hacking. If you have heard of any such cases, please correct me.

The same applies to bitcoin - it would be impossible to prove, if bitcoins were used by you, or just by someone pretending to be you. Even if a bitcoin address was posted on your facebook page, who could prove, if it was really posted by you, or by someone who hacked your facebook?
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 02:41:12 PM

Sort of along the same lines, technically calculating pi is illegal. Since it contains all finite bitstrings

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi
π is an irrational number, which means that it cannot be expressed exactly as a ratio of two integers (such as 22/7 or other fractions that are commonly used to approximate π); consequently, its decimal representation never ends and never settles into a permanent repeating pattern.

Calculate far enough, you'll get any data you want. (Yes, that may be further than practical to calculate, but it's there. Eventually.)

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3273

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 03:30:17 PM
Last edit: May 04, 2013, 11:49:37 AM by odolvlobo

In my opinion, it would be impossible to prove that you own bitcoins, unless you officially admitted it.

Consider the example of computer hacking - it is impossible to prove that you personally was doing the hacking, even if your IP gets logged during the hack. I have read about many cases where hackers were tracked by their IP and convicted, but in ALL those cases the hacker has admitted guilt. I have never ever read about a case, where someone would be convicted of hacking, only because of their IP, while they denied doing the hacking. If you have heard of any such cases, please correct me.

The same applies to bitcoin - it would be impossible to prove, if bitcoins were used by you, or just by someone pretending to be you. Even if a bitcoin address was posted on your facebook page, who could prove, if it was really posted by you, or by someone who hacked your facebook?

What about the wallet on your computer? Don't you think it's existence is sufficient proof that you own the bitcoins at the addresses it contains?

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
zebedee
Donator

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 08:39:43 PM

π is an irrational number, which means that it cannot be expressed exactly as a ratio of two integers (such as 22/7 or other fractions that are commonly used to approximate π); consequently, its decimal representation never ends and never settles into a permanent repeating pattern.

Calculate far enough, you'll get any data you want. (Yes, that may be further than practical to calculate, but it's there. Eventually.)
Nope, not the same thing at all. A very common misconception though.

Consider writing pi in binary. That never repeats, and can be considered a decimal number too. But you'll never ever see the single digit "2" never mind longer sequences.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 08:50:24 PM
Last edit: May 01, 2013, 09:16:12 PM by myrkul

Consider writing pi in binary. That never repeats, and can be considered a decimal number too. But you'll never ever see the single digit "2" never mind longer sequences.
True. But you'll see numerous instances of "10" and any one of them could be interpreted as the decimal digit "2."

Edit: And you'll also find numerous instances of "00000010" which is the standard binary representation of the digit "2." Any infinite, non-repeating bitstring contains all finite bitstrings. Somewhere.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 09:01:04 PM

The "considered a decimal number too" is an artifact. The fact that a binary number looks like a decimal number does not make it a decimal number for purposes of computation. There are no eleven-toed sloths.
jago25_98

Activity: 900
Merit: 1000

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 09:06:16 PM

If you're wise you could do all your trades over the counter on localbitcoins or whatever. Anyone who's used an exchange likely has a papertrail. That trail is strongest if you've sent them ID.

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
zebedee
Donator

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 10:45:59 PM

True. But you'll see numerous instances of "10" and any one of them could be interpreted as the decimal digit "2."

Edit: And you'll also find numerous instances of "00000010" which is the standard binary representation of the digit "2." Any infinite, non-repeating bitstring contains all finite bitstrings. Somewhere.
I've just shown you this fallacy is not true, yet you repeat it.  Let me try again, let's only talk binary this time.

Consider the number that is a zero, a one, 2 zeroes, a one, 3 zeroes, a 1, etc.

Clearly this is non repeating and infinite.  Show me where 11 appears in this bitstring?

myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 11:20:13 PM

Consider the number that is a zero, a one, 2 zeroes, a one, 3 zeroes, a 1, etc.

Clearly this is non repeating and infinite.  Show me where 11 appears in this bitstring?
Very well, you have shown me that you can construct an infinite bitstring which excludes a particular finite bitstring. But we're not talking about your constructed pattern. We're talking about Pi. Pi does not follow that pattern. So let me amend my statement: Any infinite, non-repeating random or pseudo-random bitstring contains all finite bitstrings. Somewhere. I might even say that any  infinite, non-repeating bitstring not specifically constructed to exclude them contains all finite bitstrings.

Take an infinite supply of alpha-bits, and set them down one after the other in no particular order. Do this long enough, and you will reproduce Shakespeare's collected works.

Count incrementally in Hexadecimal, and you will eventually get every private key in existence.

00010100 00010001

I guarantee that I have just reproduced, via copy and paste from here, someone's bank card PIN. Maybe even yours. (I checked, it's not mine)

zebedee
Donator

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 02:35:34 AM

Very well, you have shown me that you can construct an infinite bitstring which excludes a particular finite bitstring. But we're not talking about your constructed pattern. We're talking about Pi. Pi does not follow that pattern. So let me amend my statement: Any infinite, non-repeating random or pseudo-random bitstring contains all finite bitstrings. Somewhere. I might even say that any  infinite, non-repeating bitstring not specifically constructed to exclude them contains all finite bitstrings.

Take an infinite supply of alpha-bits, and set them down one after the other in no particular order. Do this long enough, and you will reproduce Shakespeare's collected works.

Count incrementally in Hexadecimal, and you will eventually get every private key in existence.

00010100 00010001

I guarantee that I have just reproduced, via copy and paste from here, someone's bank card PIN. Maybe even yours. (I checked, it's not mine)
Even if I granted you this false statement, you have to demonstrate that pi is random to establish your original claim.  Unfortunately pi is far from random.

However I can create a random bistring of zeroes and ones that doesn't have 11 anywhere in it.

Stick to something you understand and can prove.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 02:59:49 AM
Last edit: May 02, 2013, 03:41:17 AM by myrkul

However I can create a random bistring of zeroes and ones that doesn't have 11 anywhere in it.
You can. But the longer that bitstring gets, the less likely a 1 always being followed by a 0 gets. Perhaps you just don't get how big "infinite" really is?

Oh, and you'll note that I did say "random or pseudo-random." Wink

film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 10:25:31 PM

There are a lot of threads about taxation and FinCEN regulation on this forum. Now you can pay taxes, register yourself as Money Service Business (MSB) and sleep well, but... The state won't stop and will continue to strangle Bitcoin. One day it will make Bitcoin illegal.

Now the state collects data who uses Bitcoin, so in the future (when Bitcoin becomes illegal) they'll pay very close attention to those who declared that they "touched" bitcoins. It's a well known trick:
1. Pretend you are just going to regulate something.
2. Collect data about users.
3. Make it illegal.
4. Spy the users.
5. Prosecute those who violate the law.

Keep this in mind...

Wouldn't spying on users come 3rd? Seeing how making it illegal would stop their constant source of usage patterns,etc.Banning it comes 4th I think as, they'll have enough info to chase after all the users after snooping on them all first (after collecting that info before hand).

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 07:35:15 AM

There are a lot of threads about taxation and FinCEN regulation on this forum. Now you can pay taxes, register yourself as Money Service Business (MSB) and sleep well, but... The state won't stop and will continue to strangle Bitcoin. One day it will make Bitcoin illegal.

Now the state collects data who uses Bitcoin, so in the future (when Bitcoin becomes illegal) they'll pay very close attention to those who declared that they "touched" bitcoins. It's a well known trick:
1. Pretend you are just going to regulate something.
2. Collect data about users.
3. Make it illegal.
4. Spy the users.
5. Prosecute those who violate the law.

Keep this in mind...

Wouldn't spying on users come 3rd? Seeing how making it illegal would stop their constant source of usage patterns,etc.Banning it comes 4th I think as, they'll have enough info to chase after all the users after snooping on them all first (after collecting that info before hand).

3rd take as long as to put signature under the law.
MonadTran

Activity: 181

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 10:07:00 AM

People should pay taxes on bitcoins. It's probably the only thing that can prevent a complete shutdown.

No. Thinking that you can stop the Mafia by giving them even more money is absurd. Any action that would speed up the inevitable collapse of the current system is morally justified, and is good for Bitcoin. Dump more dollars. Get more bitcoins.
1PFYcabWEwZFm2Ez5LGTx3ftz

Activity: 120

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 12:57:19 PM

What about the wallet on your computer? Don't you think it's existence is sufficient proof that you own the bitcoins at the addresses it contains?

That would be sufficient proof, but in order to get your computer, they would need a warrant, and in order to get a warrant, they would need to have some proof already.

Also, you could (and should) use a program like TrueCrypt to encrypt your entire hard drive. That way, it will be impossible to know if you had any wallets on your PC.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: