Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:16:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: No FCC or UL label on BFL's Jalapeño  (Read 9593 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 02:06:23 AM

Proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=resTnZa3erg&feature=youtu.be

The accompanying "brick" clearly shows the label, and if it didn't one, the supply sure as hell wouldn't have applied for it. The UL is definitely required being that it's a outlet plug of sorts.

If the FCC requirement wasn't important, then Josh wouldn't have taken the time to lie about getting certified.

When is the Jalapeno getting FCC approval?

Maybe two weeks? We are waiting for the test lab to issue the test report.

With the bump in power requirements on the MR and the new screen, we had to make changes, although the new screen is already certified.  We are doing all the devices at once, since they all share the same board.

The video is proof that this is a customer's unit and not that of a developer, therefore, at this speaking, Butterfly Labs is breaking the law.

Also, as of Friday, BFL has not apply for FCC approval of any of their units. To be clear, if the FCC received a unit in their facility on Thursday from some entity, it would most definitely be on this website on Friday: https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/GenericSearch.cfm?calledFromFrame=N

Search it yourself.
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dykast

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 02:13:33 AM

And no one gave a flying fuck.
Quix

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 02:24:56 AM

FCC approval takes a lot of time and money, just saying...
BeetcoinScummer

Activity: 215
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 02:32:46 AM

Don't upset the apple cart.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 02:36:28 AM

I assume it's a lot cheaper than the imposed fines that can run into hundreds of thousands of dollars on manufacturers and retailers who sell products that don't conform.
k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 03:24:26 AM

In the US, all products containing electronics that oscillate above 9 kHz must be certified. The law that governs this is FCC Part 15 (Title 47 CFR Part 15). Should cost less than $20K. This cert might be what is holding up their bulk product shipments. Who knows, BFL is a black box that says they will ship black boxes.

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 03:50:37 AM

In the US, all products containing electronics that oscillate above 9 kHz must be certified. The law that governs this is FCC Part 15 (Title 47 CFR Part 15). Should cost less than $20K. This cert might be what is holding up their bulk product shipments. Who knows, BFL is a black box that says they will ship black boxes.

Does the FCC have a clause stating that if less than X units are built and shipped, then FCC certification doesn't apply?

Also, I don't know what you're referring to regarding black boxes, for I clearly see a logo on them.
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 03:51:04 AM

Interesting.
k9quaint
Legendary

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 04:07:08 AM

Does the FCC have a clause stating that if less than X units are built and shipped, then FCC certification doesn't apply?
I don't know.

Also, I don't know what you're referring to regarding black boxes, for I clearly see a logo on them.
black box 
Noun
Any complex piece of equipment, typically a unit in an electronic system, with contents that are mysterious to the user.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 04:18:14 AM

I don't know.

black box 
Noun
Any complex piece of equipment, typically a unit in an electronic system, with contents that are mysterious to the user.

Ironically, that's the first thing that came to mind when I read the term, immediately thinking back to high school in science class where we had to build a black box out using a shoe box and put an item in it so the rest of the class can deduce what's inside. What I put inside mine was...wait for it...a key (seriously--a common, obsolete house key).
wrenchmonkey

Activity: 224

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 04:31:00 AM

Zero fucks given, regarding presence or non-presence said stickers. [Pssst. I tore the label off my mattress too!]  Roll Eyes

Block Erupter Overclocking 447 M/Hash, .006 (discounts if done in quantity) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=300206.msg3218480#msg3218480

Buy and sell mining shares (Bitfury). https://cex.io/r/1/wrenchmonkey/0/
Enigma81

Activity: 180

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 04:31:40 AM

No such exemption exists.  FCC Certification is mandatory for the BFL Products (And Avalon, I might add)

Enigma
k9quaint
Legendary

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 04:41:42 AM

Zero fucks given, regarding presence or non-presence said stickers. [Pssst. I tore the label off my mattress too!]  Roll Eyes

That is the correct response. Unless their chip emits RF which hoses up your Bluetooth causing your wireless game controllers to glitch causing you to die in HALO.
Then you rage.  Grin

Really, the only people who are going to care is BFL and the FCC. Unless BFL ends up in court over something, then the plaintiff would care.

Enigma81

Activity: 180

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 04:46:09 AM

That is the correct response. Unless their chip emits RF which hoses up your Bluetooth causing your wireless game controllers to glitch causing you to die in HALO.
Then you rage.  Grin

Really, the only people who are going to care is BFL and the FCC. Unless BFL ends up in court over something, then the plaintiff would care.

Eh.. Yes and no..

It should get certified for lots of reasons.

If it's not UL listed, I sure as hell wouldn't plug it in.  There ABSOLUTELY have been cases of insurance companies refusing to pay for a burned down house/building because the fire was caused by an unlisted device.

Enigma
k9quaint
Legendary

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 04:55:19 AM

Then you rage.  Grin

Eh.. Yes and no..

If it's not UL listed, I sure as hell wouldn't plug it in.  There ABSOLUTELY have been cases of insurance companies refusing to pay for a burned down house/building because the fire was caused by an unlisted device.

Enigma

Yeah, UL is a different story. The FCC stuff is pretty benign...unless you get malignant tumors from RF. Then not so benign.

roy7

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 05:05:05 AM

FCC web site says testing only takes 1-2 days if it passes on the first test.
Bicknellski

Activity: 924

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 05:22:32 AM

The accompanying "brick" clearly shows the label, and if it didn't one, the supply sure as hell wouldn't have applied for it. The UL is definitely required being that it's a outlet plug of sorts.

If the FCC requirement wasn't important, then Josh wouldn't have taken the time to lie about getting certified.

With the bump in power requirements on the MR and the new screen, we had to make changes, although the new screen is already certified.  We are doing all the devices at once, since they all share the same board.

The video is proof that this is a customer's unit and not that of a developer, therefore, at this speaking, Butterfly Labs is breaking the law.

Also, as of Friday, BFL has not apply for FCC approval of any of their units. To be clear, if the FCC received a unit in their facility on Thursday from some entity, it would most definitely be on this website on Friday: https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/GenericSearch.cfm?calledFromFrame=N

Search it yourself.

+1 ... but now will anyone do anything about this at all? That might be the real question right?

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 06:01:08 AM

Then you rage.  Grin

Eh.. Yes and no..

Enigma

Yeah, UL is a different story. The FCC stuff is pretty benign...unless you get malignant tumors from RF. Then not so benign.

I agree with the FCC regulation being benign, but it is the law, just like wearing a seatbelt is the law.

The UL requirement is not mandatory across the US, but is in many jurisdictions, hence companies who manufacture electrical device opt for the certification since they're most likely going to ship their products to such jurisdictions.

Many municipalities, especially the larger ones, passed such laws to protect their citizens living in apartments, and elsewhere, from fires due to faulty unregulated appliances.

I ain't got a clue as to how they were able to ship their previous line to Europe without a CE label, but I'm sure it was illegal.

They're more than happy to come here and state their case as to how they're able to circumnavigate all three of these regulations.
vvic

Activity: 144
Merit: 104

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 07:13:07 AM

what the hell FCC has anything to do with BFL device?
UL certification yeah, I get. But FCC? Can anyone explain?  Miners do not emit any radio frequency, do they? They don't even talk to the network (computer does)
hardpick

Activity: 265
Merit: 250

Football President

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 07:15:53 AM

Search it yourself.

Does Avalon have fcc approval Huh?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: