Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:26:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: No FCC or UL label on BFL's Jalapeño  (Read 9600 times)
centove

Activity: 194
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 10:20:23 AM

You guys do realize not everything that is FCC certified has a sticker on it stating so?? Look at your cell phone, where is the sticker? Look at a cordless phone, where is the sticker??? Computer motherboard? Video Card? Generally you'll hunt in the book and lo-and behold there is the FCC compliance statement. Just saying...

And as far as the UL label on the power-supply, unless BFL is making that (and it looks like a fairly standard switching power supply brick, probably for a laptop) that's the manufacturer of said product.

Look under the battery, that's where my cell phone hides the FCC logo. Feel free to post a link verifying the FCC approval of any BFL product at www.fcc.gov.
Okay, So it does get a sticker, fair enough, from the sounds of it it's hidden usually. Seeing as I don't have one, and apparently you don't have one either no way to verify whether it does or don't have said compliance.

Give me Btc: 1BRkf5bwSVdGCyvu4SyYBiJjEjbNiAQoYd Mine on my node: http://ask.gxsnmp.org:9332/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 10:49:08 AM

You guys do realize not everything that is FCC certified has a sticker on it stating so?? Look at your cell phone, where is the sticker? Look at a cordless phone, where is the sticker??? Computer motherboard? Video Card? Generally you'll hunt in the book and lo-and behold there is the FCC compliance statement. Just saying...

And as far as the UL label on the power-supply, unless BFL is making that (and it looks like a fairly standard switching power supply brick, probably for a laptop) that's the manufacturer of said product.

Look under the battery, that's where my cell phone hides the FCC logo. Feel free to post a link verifying the FCC approval of any BFL product at www.fcc.gov.
Okay, So it does get a sticker, fair enough, from the sounds of it it's hidden usually. Seeing as I don't have one, and apparently you don't have one either no way to verify whether it does or don't have said compliance.

Uh, What about the "Coding in my sleep" dismantling of the device. You can see every square inch of the darn thing. (in 1080P no less)
Red_Evil

Activity: 1484
Merit: 500

Across The Universe

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 11:01:17 AM

Manga Girls Nice ...

But +1 for Paypal so and noon ? Waiting for 3 more Month ?
centove

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 11:06:24 AM

Uh, What about the "Coding in my sleep" dismantling of the device. You can see every square inch of the darn thing. (in 1080P no less)
Okay, I watched that video, I didn't see a sticker, you know what? At this point I don't really care anymore. I get it you hate BFL, Josh is a liar. If you think a law has been broken report it, I'm sure the authorities have nothing better to do then chase down some random complaint about some random device that may or may not be certified by some other government authority. If you think there is provable fraud that will stand up to a jury and result in jail time, then take your evidence to the proper authorities for the full formal investigation and arrests.

Give me Btc: 1BRkf5bwSVdGCyvu4SyYBiJjEjbNiAQoYd Mine on my node: http://ask.gxsnmp.org:9332/
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 01:04:14 PM

Okay, I watched that video, I didn't see a sticker, you know what? At this point I don't really care anymore. I get it you hate BFL, Josh is a liar. If you think a law has been broken report it, I'm sure the authorities have nothing better to do then chase down some random complaint about some random device that may or may not be certified by some other government authority. If you think there is provable fraud that will stand up to a jury and result in jail time, then take your evidence to the proper authorities for the full formal investigation and arrests.

Centove, you do realize that your thinking is all screwed, right?

You do understand the issue of non-FCC certification (or any other kind of certifications) are there for more than one reason, right?

-------------------

Lets assume you don't actually know.

Shipping to international countries requires some of these certifications. Without it, it gets sent back to it's origin or held for a VERY long time. Basic point you'd understand right? Okay. Good.

What do you think happens if someone does actually report BFL to the FCC (and no, it won't be me)? Yeah, they get fined, their shipment may also stop going out, and in the most extreme cases the fines may crush their business. Relevant [to you] right?

I could go on, but you need to realize it is not all about me. Who gives what I think. It is just plain common sense. Ignoring the certifications brings alot of different problems to the table. I am not one of them.

Edit: BFL risks opening themselves up to a can of worms if one (or many) vengeful customer(s) get angry. You know there are plenty of those all over the place.
centove

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 01:30:57 PM

You do understand the issue of non-FCC certification (or any other kind of certifications) are there for more than one reason, right?

-------------------

Shipping to international countries requires some of these certifications. Without it, it gets sent back to it's origin or held for a VERY long time. Basic point you'd understand right? Okay. Good.

What do you think happens if someone does actually report BFL to the FCC (and no, it won't be me)? Yeah, they get fined, their shipment may also stop going out, and in the most extreme cases the fines may crush their business. Relevant [to you] right?

I could go on, but you need to realize it is not all about me. Who gives what I think. It is just plain common sense. Ignoring the certifications brings alot of different problems to the table. I am not one of them.

Edit: BFL risks opening themselves up to a can of worms if one (or many) vengeful customer(s) get angry. You know there are plenty of those all over the place.

Here let me make it easy for you.... IF you think there is a problem with it and you have a complaint:
http://www.fcc.gov/complaints

File your complaint about the interference you are experiencing..

Now as far as international shipping.. Umm... The FCC only has jurisdiction in the US, other countries have other certifications, this thread was whining and moaning about the FCC and UL labels. All I was trying to point out is if you have a problem with _that_ aspect then complain to the proper place. Bitcointalk.org is not the proper place to bitch about compliance of this or that.

As to what will happen if someone was to report them? The FCC, in it's own time, would investigate and make a determination (there is a handy flow chart of this on the FCC site) if found in violation a fine would be levied and corrective action would be ordered.

Are the Avalon units certified? Are the FPGA things certified? I don't see you raising a stink over those. If BFL goes out of business, oh well, yet another start-up that failed. Am I gonna loose sleep over it? No. You see I don't depend on BFL for my income so I don't give a shit if they go up in flames tomorrow.

So it comes back to this:

You (and the others here) absolutely HATE BFL and anything to do with them, I mean why else would you constantly post in every thread that remotely mentions them? What are you trying to accomplish?

You (and the others here) feel Josh is a scum sucking liar.

I get it... I really do I just don't understand what you are trying to accomplish? I can sense this is gonna devolve into personal attacks against me so I'll leave it at this.. Happy BFL/Josh hating.....

PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 01:43:38 PM
Last edit: May 03, 2013, 12:46:36 AM by PuertoLibre

-------------------

Here let me make it easy for you.... IF you think there is a problem with it and you have a complaint:
http://www.fcc.gov/complaints
I have already told you it wouldn't be me. Learn to actually read!

File your complaint about the interference you are experiencing..
Same as above, Read.

Now as far as international shipping.. Umm... The FCC only has jurisdiction in the US, other countries have other certifications,
Uh yeah, that IS why I mentioned it. Reading comprehension is good!

this thread was whining and moaning about the FCC and UL labels. All I was trying to point out is if you have a problem with _that_ aspect then complain to the proper place. Bitcointalk.org is not the proper place to bitch about compliance of this or that.
It is the proper place to discuss it. We are in the custom hardware section.

It is hardware related. Your points are right in the bin, as it were....

As to what will happen if someone was to report them? The FCC, in it's own time, would investigate and make a determination (there is a handy flow chart of this on the FCC site) if found in violation a fine would be levied and corrective action would be ordered.
Yep, what is new?

Are the Avalon units certified? Are the FPGA things certified? I don't see you raising a stink over those.
You must be ignorant that I did open a thread on this and this lead to Avalon seeking certification. BFL did nada! (as far as I know)

So again, your points are moot. You must be new here. (I failed to look at your post count)

If BFL goes out of business, oh well, yet another start-up that failed. Am I gonna loose sleep over it? No. You see I don't depend on BFL for my income so I don't give a shit if they go up in flames tomorrow.
If you are buying ASICs to mine BitCoin you should.

Otherwise, what the hell are you doing in this section. Someone take this guy to the lost and found.

So it comes back to this:

You (and the others here) absolutely HATE BFL and anything to do with them, I mean why else would you constantly post in every thread that remotely mentions them? What are you trying to accomplish?
That is your opinion. I don't accept it as valid.

Hate implies things that do not end with a Keyboard or a posting. Hate is pretty damn strong. Learn what the word means.

You (and the others here) feel Josh is a scum sucking liar.
Well, I go by the past, the present, and possibly see a trend.

You tell me, what do you see? Perfection? Honesty? Truthiness?

It's alright, you can tell me. It will only be between you and me.

I get it... I really do I just don't understand what you are trying to accomplish? I can sense this is gonna devolve into personal attacks against me so I'll leave it at this.. Happy BFL/Josh hating.....

You do realize that you are pretty aggressive, but don't expect anything in return.

Alright, lets look at the facts, you don't want this thread around, you don't want to even read the thread about FCC compliance. Yet, you are bugging others who do. You seem to acknowledge that the whole "certification thing" has merit despite this.

So I assume you might be in the wrong place and perhaps with the wrong mindset to deal with this subject.

I hope my response was even handed enough.
Warwick

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 04:00:56 PM

The irony in this thread abounds......
firefop

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 08:44:29 PM

The irony in this thread abounds......

I'm still laughing over the whole topic...

neither FCC nor UL certification is required... these things aren't broadcast devices. FCC compliance is required, but not the certification. That being said, since it's not ethernet connected it's just fine to ship these items. The only part that needs the cert is the power brick.

Tamerz

Activity: 148
Merit: 102

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 08:46:42 PM

neither FCC nor UL certification is required... these things aren't broadcast devices. That being said, since it's not ethernet connected it's just fine to ship these items. The only part that needs the cert is the power brick.

UL no doubt has nothing to do with this. The power supply has it, end of story.

Now FCC is not that simple. My mouse is not Ethernet connected, it is not a broadcast device. Yet it has FCC logos on it.

EDIT: No, it is not wireless by the way.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 09:32:05 PM

That's not the issue.  Euro customers have been saying for ages that the units won't get past customs without certification (Avalon has openly said in the past that they don't want to service the Euro market).  

BFL has been totally transparent about customers needing to find out about and deal with duty related issues themselves and I have no problem with that.  We're probably still going to get some "zomg my ASIC is sitting in customs and I have to pay a gazillion dollars to take delivery, why wasn't I warned" posts, though.  BFL has emphatically stated that they won't lie on customs declarations so people can reduce/avoid paying duty and I have no problem with that, either.

Certification is an issue because the requirements aren't universally standard.  Units which don't meet the standards for the country to which they're being shipped may never make it to the customers who ordered them.  This isn't a "pay more to get them" situation.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
firefop

Activity: 420

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 09:44:10 PM

neither FCC nor UL certification is required... these things aren't broadcast devices. That being said, since it's not ethernet connected it's just fine to ship these items. The only part that needs the cert is the power brick.

UL no doubt has nothing to do with this. The power supply has it, end of story.

Now FCC is not that simple. My mouse is not Ethernet connected, it is not a broadcast device. Yet it has FCC logos on it.

EDIT: No, it is not wireless by the way.

if it's optical it needs FCC cert re:emissions

Tamerz

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 09:57:50 PM

Fair enough, however I just pulled out an old Dell roller mouse and it has it as well.
minternj

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 10:00:55 PM

Fair enough, however I just pulled out an old Dell roller mouse and it has it as well.

Dude read the thread its  all been covered. Unintended emitter of rf is what  the fcc would classify this device as.

Warning about Nitrogensports.eu
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=709114.0
Tamerz

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 10:03:58 PM

Dude read the thread its  all been covered. Unintended emitter of rf is what  the fcc would classify this device as.

Funny how my FPGA doesn't have anything like that on it. Why is it any different? That is the part not being answered.
minternj

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 10:24:20 PM

Funny how my FPGA doesn't have anything like that on it. Why is it any different? That is the part not being answered.

This was also sorta touched on. I found no Altera producst in the fcc database. Seems like they are probably classified as computer boards , which should be an exempt product as a unintende emitter. They still have to be fcc compliant just not certified.

Warning about Nitrogensports.eu
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=709114.0
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 10:57:57 PM

It's not, it would be in violation of various regulations.
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 11:16:09 PM

I honestly think people would care far less about this and the shipping price changes if BFL hadn't had so long to get all of the administrative stuff in order.  There's been plenty of time for them to look into the exact requirements and to make sure they're in a position to meet them (just like there's been plenty of time for them to negotiate shipment rates).  With "22 employees", there's little excuse for this shit not having been done.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Operatr

Activity: 798

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 11:18:58 PM

I could care less, the FCC are just as worthless and corrupt as the rest.

ecliptic

Activity: 322

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 12:25:15 AM

-------------------

There is massive, massive financial incentive for anyone big in mining who did NOT order BFL to report them to the FCC/etc and try and get their product jeprodized

I think it's safe to assume BFL has already been reported dozens if not hundreds of times to the FCC, and they simply do not care.

if by some miracle this fact has missed everyone : well, whoops, i guess the cats out of the bag.  but i'm sure everyone knows this
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: