Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:14:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: reformatted computer now btc are lost  (Read 4771 times)
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 05:55:22 AM

Try using this:
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=25091.0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
joepie91

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 12:07:15 PM

Even if you've formatted your drive, if you are running Windows, PC Inspected File Recovery (http://www.pcinspector.de/default.htm?language=1) will often be able to recover files... it's a bit buggy, but it generally does the job.

Like my post(s)? 12TSXLa5Tu6ag4PNYCwKKSiZsaSCpAjzpu Smiley
Quote from: hawks5999
I just can't wait for fall/winter. My furnace never generated money for me before. I'll keep mining until my furnace is more profitable.
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 12:45:01 PM

Even if you've formatted your drive, if you are running Windows, PC Inspected File Recovery (http://www.pcinspector.de/default.htm?language=1) will often be able to recover files... it's a bit buggy, but it generally does the job.

Yes I agree with this guy(or girl?) try file recovery it takes for everrr... to look trhough all the found file, but you never know you might find it Cheesy
Bitman_Begins

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2011, 05:23:32 PM

You should keep your Bitcoin folder located on  separate external harddrive, then they are less likely to be infected by a virus.

Now what about the idea of a paid service for storing everyone's BTCs in a cloud storage system. A kind of distributed electronic bank?

Hah, then you're back in the Capitalist world of making profit from insecurity. What would the fees be like for that?

Or is it possible we could get a free distributed BTC storage system going using the combined might of the bandwidth/storage power of all BTC clients?   Huh Huh Huh

Ideas..ideas people!

Want to join Tradehill.com? Please use this referral code as you join: TH-R18919

Join the Bitcoin Randomizer using this link and start winning Bitcoins! http://rand.bitcat.ch/?ref=128

Tip me! 1NBN21CDpuc6Gyns2oqRjDSvxaanMeYfbY
joepie91

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 05:42:40 PM

You should keep your Bitcoin folder located on  separate external harddrive, then they are less likely to be infected by a virus.

Now what about the idea of a paid service for storing everyone's BTCs in a cloud storage system. A kind of distributed electronic bank?

Hah, then you're back in the Capitalist world of making profit from insecurity. What would the fees be like for that?

Or is it possible we could get a free distributed BTC storage system going using the combined might of the bandwidth/storage power of all BTC clients?   Huh Huh Huh

Ideas..ideas people!
If you are thinking about a distributed 'cloud storage' system... Tahoe-LAFS may be what you are looking for.

I just can't wait for fall/winter. My furnace never generated money for me before. I'll keep mining until my furnace is more profitable.
Bitman_Begins

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2011, 06:25:42 PM

But if you are storing information in a place such as that, which is not a part of the BTC world(!!) you are essentially leaving something like gold bars in a storage lockup system. Did you give me that link so I can go and get robbed  Huh Huh Huh
Come on, this is not just the same as any other information stored in bytes that there is out there that can be reproduced to no effect!
Hey, what about just having your BTCs copied in there and then uploaded by someone else?Huh
Hahahaha........  Cheesy 

Want to join Tradehill.com? Please use this referral code as you join: TH-R18919

Join the Bitcoin Randomizer using this link and start winning Bitcoins! http://rand.bitcat.ch/?ref=128

Tip me! 1NBN21CDpuc6Gyns2oqRjDSvxaanMeYfbY
joepie91

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 07:27:38 PM

But if you are storing information in a place such as that, which is not a part of the BTC world(!!) you are essentially leaving something like gold bars in a storage lockup system. Did you give me that link so I can go and get robbed  Huh Huh Huh
Come on, this is not just the same as any other information stored in bytes that there is out there that can be reproduced to no effect!
Hey, what about just having your BTCs copied in there and then uploaded by someone else?Huh
Hahahaha........  Cheesy 
Of course you should encrypt a wallet you upload there, just like you would when you uploaded it to Dropbox or similar storage systems.

Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 11:17:44 PM

Just rename the file to 'Roller coaster tycoon 1: mac guide', maybe even change or remove the extension, encrypt it & upload to Dropbox.

If you have tons of coins or are just super-paranoid, make russian matroska-type shell container archives, each with their own 60-char passwords, each encrypted, requiring the previous pass to open the next archive which asks for another pass.

Then you can leave it even in your gmail account, memory stick, random upload service etc.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
drgr33n

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 02:29:31 AM

Download linuxcoin and

Code:
apt-get install photorec

got me out of many sticky situations Wink

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 11:18:30 PM

Download linuxcoin and

Code:
apt-get install photorec

got me out of many sticky situations Wink

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

As I understand it PhotoRec can only recover file formats that it knows about, and the Bitcoin wallet.dat doesn't appear to be one of those yet. The tool I've written (which someone linked to earlier) is probably the closest thing there is to a Bitcoin equivalent of PhotoRec, though it only recovers enough information to retrieve your bitcoins rather than the whole wallet file. For various reasons this is usually more reliable than recovering the whole thing, especially if your data is fragmented.

All the really powerful file recovery tools are specific to particular types of files these days, unfortunately.

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
ThiagoCMC
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

฿itcoin: Currency of Resistance!

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 12:29:24 AM

You can try this:

1- Buy a bigger hard disk;

2- Install the new HD as first disk;

3- Install your broken HD (with your wallet within it);

4- Boot your computer with the Ubuntu Live CD on it;

5- configure the network;

6- run the command: sudo aptitude install gddrescue

6.1- Take a look at: info ddrescue -> Examples

7- check the HDs! run: cat /proc/partitions

You should see two disks listed, the "sda" and "sdb", new disk and broken disk

8- COPY YOUR DATA FROM BAD DISK: run: ddrescue -n /dev/sdb /dev/sda logfile

After this, you can verify your new disk:

9- run: partprobe

10- Look for your partitions, run: sudo parted -l /dev/sda

10.1- Or if you want GUI, run: sudo gparted

9.1- Look for /dev/sda in GParted and look for your restored partitions

If you are able to see your partitions, you are ready to try to mount the file system within Ubuntu, try "nautilus"

Best!
Thiago
BenRayfield

Activity: 316

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 03:18:27 AM

32 gigabyte USB memory sticks are great for regular backups. You can get them for $50.

joulesbeef

Activity: 476

moOo

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 03:45:38 AM

If you had a lot of coins, the best answer here is to clone the drive onto a bigger drive and then recover off the clone.

spin rite is awesome but is useless in data recovery after a format.. it is good at data recovery from having your HD heads crash onto the platters.

I cant see you formatting with many coins, if it wasnt much I say take the loss.

I do wonder how many coins over the years will be lost, from people doing this to people who just try bitcoin and stop when they have less than 1 coin in their wallets

mooo for rent
HolyCow

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 12:48:11 PM

What happens with those lost BTCs. Since nobody has them they are nobody's property. Can they be recycled into the system? Lets say 10 000 BTC are lost till now. Where are they? Can they be generated again? Is there way to determine if BTC is lost or not?

Best Regards,
Alisa
BenRayfield

Activity: 316

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 09:20:19 AM

What happens with those lost BTCs. Since nobody has them they are nobody's property. Can they be recycled into the system? Lets say 10 000 BTC are lost till now. Where are they? Can they be generated again? Is there way to determine if BTC is lost or not?

There's no way for any cryptocurrency to know if your private-keys are deleted, since that is outside the network by design.

A different cryptocurrency could be designed where it goes back into the network if not spent for some time, but that's not how Bitcoin works. Theres no way to know if bitcoins are lost or just waiting to be spent. Its the same way with cash.

Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 09:21:24 AM

what should i do.  my computer is fucked and wont even complete a restore to get mywallet back

easy, get your wallet.dat from your encrypted backup.

-
Vince

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 08:03:01 AM

I once did a similar recovery for a friend of mine. He reinstalled windows including a format and forgot to backup his wallet. Big panic from his side, he installed a lot of shitty tools trying to recover the file.

DONT DO THIS!

Shutdown your pc - no, dont use the "shutdown" in windows, just cut power off.

Get a linux recovery or live-cd and boot your pc from it. make sure it does not write anything to your disk!

Now you can start recovering.

I recommend mondo or scrounge-ntfs for ntfs. They are built-in into most live-cd's.

If everything fails there is still hope:
there is a specific structure inside the wallet.dat-file, for example it contains lots of "blockindex"-strings, your public addresses (you can still get them, for example from your pool, do you?) and some more.

i wrote a little tool that searches your whole harddisk for this structure and recovers all private keys it finds - even if there is no reference to the file in the file system, even if the file is partially overwritten - and generates a new wallet.dat file from it.

Write me if you need more help!
Furyan

Activity: 175
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 12:09:09 PM

Shutdown your pc - no, dont use the "shutdown" in windows, just cut power off.

This.

Windows flushes a crapton of data to disc on shutdown.
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 01:10:39 PM

Get a linux recovery or live-cd and boot your pc from it. make sure it does not write anything to your disk!

Now you can start recovering.

I recommend mondo or scrounge-ntfs for ntfs. They are built-in into most live-cd's.

If everything fails there is still hope:
there is a specific structure inside the wallet.dat-file, for example it contains lots of "blockindex"-strings, your public addresses (you can still get them, for example from your pool, do you?) and some more.

i wrote a little tool that searches your whole harddisk for this structure and recovers all private keys it finds - even if there is no reference to the file in the file system, even if the file is partially overwritten - and generates a new wallet.dat file from it.
Pulling private keys directly off the hard disk is fast enough that it might even be worth making it the *first* recovery method you try, unless there's other information in the wallet or elsewhere that you need to recover. Unless you've got a slow PC or a very fast disk, my (publicly available, linked to upthread) tool for doing it can scan your drive as quickly as it can read data from it. It does really need optimising a bit more though.

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2011, 12:15:27 PM

1: turn computer off.
2: don't touch computer at all until you have your bitcoins back.
3: write down exact problem.
4: find smartest person you know with a portable computer to help you.
5: **tell smartest person with computer, your exact problem and everything you did trying to fix it.**
6: have smartest person you know with computer come over to help you.
7: if he says anything about doing another format, while at your computer, refer back to step 4 immediately, if not proceed.
8: give smartest person you know with computer, plenty of space, don't hover.
9: if that doesn't work, refer back to step 4.

your odds are great following these steps.
classy Smiley
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: