Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 07:20:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hacked Account and cant log into it....  (Read 1026 times)
fff13 (temp) (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 03, 2017, 12:12:37 AM
Last edit: May 05, 2017, 12:53:21 AM by fff13 (temp)

My Hero account got hacked and the password was changed Sunday night into Monday morning. I had a bitcoin address in my profile but was conveniently erased by the hacker. I posted (#506) my bitcoin address in an old thread from 2014:

Beer!

1GtZdBxbNpsLRUPcrHzDjCycEF7rkJ4Agh

Thanks!

The problem I have is that I cant sign a message because its a paper wallet. I tried finding a way but it looks rather complicated. I sent bitcoins to it yesterday with a message but then realized I was doing it wrong and ran into a dead end.
Does anyone have any ideas to help retrieve my acct? What if I send a couple hundred dollars worth to that address, would that prove ownership?

Thanks for all your help!

fff13 is the account that was hacked and I have no control over

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
May 03, 2017, 02:53:20 AM

My account got hacked and the password was changed Sunday night into Monday morning. I had a bitcoin address in my profile but was conveniently erased by the hacker. I posted (#506) my bitcoin address in an old thread from 2014:

Beer!

Thanks!

The problem I have is that I cant sign a message because its a paper wallet. I tried finding a way but it looks rather complicated. I sent bitcoins to it yesterday with a message but then realized I was doing it wrong and ran into a dead end.
Does anyone have any ideas to help retrieve my acct? What if I send a couple hundred dollars worth to that address, would that prove ownership?

Posting a signed message from an unedited address is the only accepted way to prove membership.
Even if you do that, the admins might take a long time to recover your account. Without that, there is no hope.
cpfreeplz
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1042

View Profile
May 03, 2017, 03:00:36 AM

My account got hacked and the password was changed Sunday night into Monday morning. I had a bitcoin address in my profile but was conveniently erased by the hacker. I posted (#506) my bitcoin address in an old thread from 2014:

Beer!

Thanks!

Go to any bitcoin client and chose to import a private key. Scan the private key for the paper wallet and once it's imported you can send Theymos or Cyrus a PM with a message. I'd suggest posting it publicly too so someone on default trust can tag your account so nothing else happens with it.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2017, 07:49:39 AM

Posting a signed message from an unedited address is the only accepted way to prove membership.
Even if you do that, the admins might take a long time to recover your account. Without that, there is no hope.
I somewhat disagree. I think that an alternative way is pretty much adequate for proving this. For example, if the user is in control of said address but does not know or is unable to sign an address, then someone could specify a fixed amount of BTC and an address to which it should be sent (from said address). This would effectively prove that the user is in control of said address, and the BTC can be returned back to them (or they could use one of their own addresses for this). I've used this method on a few occasions.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
fff13 (temp) (OP)

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 01:18:28 AM
Last edit: May 05, 2017, 04:04:02 AM by fff13 (temp)

I somewhat disagree. I think that an alternative way is pretty much adequate for proving this. For example, if the user is in control of said address but does not know or is unable to sign an address, then someone could specify a fixed amount of BTC and an address to which it should be sent (from said address). This would effectively prove that the user is in control of said address, and the BTC can be returned back to them (or they could use one of their own addresses for this). I've used this method on a few occasions.

I am in control of that address, is that what I should try to do? What if I sweep the paper wallet and send the current amount on there to another wallet?

fff13 (temp) (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2017, 04:03:23 AM

And I see the hacker deleted my post where I had my address quoted.
numanoid
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1148

View Profile
May 05, 2017, 04:33:09 AM

And I see the hacker deleted my post where I had my address quoted.
Do you have another post of your address which have been quoted by another member?
fff13 (temp) (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2017, 04:45:14 AM

Just when cpfreeplz  quoted me in this thread.  I see someone gave him a negative trust with a comment left stating, "likely hacked account," which is good.
ibminer
Legendary

Activity: 1821
Merit: 2792

Goonies never say die.

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2017, 11:14:16 AM

Google cache still shows this address in your signature for posts as early as 2014 so the address is fine but you should still post a signed message from it. And if you intend to ever recover it, which may never happen, you would have to follow the instructions here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=497545.0

I left feedback because of the posts being deleted, changed email, password, etc.

fff13 (temp) (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2017, 12:42:58 PM
Last edit: May 05, 2017, 01:06:59 PM by fff13 (temp)

Its from a paper wallet, which, from what I found is very difficult. An alternative would be to sweep said wallet to a predetermined address from a moderator/trusted member and then send it back.

Edit: The new owner of my account has messaged me and is stating that he is not the hacker but bought it "the telegram" and wishes to return my account for what he bought it for, 0.08 BTC.
Anon

Activity: 53
Merit: 11

View Profile
May 05, 2017, 01:57:44 PM

This user's password was reset recently.

This user's email address was changed recently.

This user changed his/her password recently.

Ask for DT members to tag the account so it cant be used for exit scam or etc, and you might want to scan your computer for backdoors. Goodluck getting your account back.
ibminer
Legendary

Activity: 1821
Merit: 2792

Goonies never say die.

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2017, 01:58:42 PM

Its from a paper wallet, which, from what I found is very difficult. An alternative would be to sweep said wallet to a predetermined address from a moderator/trusted member and then send it back.

Edit: The new owner of my account has messaged me and is stating that he is not the hacker but bought it "the telegram" and wishes to return my account for what he bought it for, 0.08 BTC.

I believe your private key can be imported into Bitcoin Core under the console which appears under the Help / Debug menu. https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Help:How_to_import_private_keys_in_Bitcoin_Core_0.7%2B

There are other ways to import the key into a wallet but I'm not sure I would trust most of them. Does your paper wallet contain an encrypted private key?

IMO, if you have any chance of verifying the account with a signature, I wouldn't pay anything to whoever PM'd you.

How are you intending to sweep the address without getting the paper wallet imported?  I'm confused  Huh

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: