Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 09:13:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thanks to BTC & LTC My House is about to be 1/2 paid for  (Read 758 times)
mem (OP)

Activity: 644
Merit: 501

Herp Derp PTY LTD

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 02:59:41 AM

So only 4 years into a 30 year house loan of ~0.5 million AUD and thanks to buying bitcoins at $5 and lower several years ago (and some well timed buy&sells recently) Im in a position to settle 1/2 the biggest debt I will have in my life.

So Im in a slow process of dumping chunks of btc & ltc on the market with my goal in sight.
Im currently 35% there, which is already enough to make a sizeable difference on my monthly loan repayments Smiley

I was holding out for the magic $1'000'000 but then I realized I wouldnt know what to do with it, my only goal in this life is to build some security for myself and my family which thanks to bitcoin I now can. Should anything happen to me health wise, my Fiancee does not have to worry about where she will be living anymore or if she can afford the bills.

So I will most likely end up selling 1/2 to 1/3rd of my holdings to achieve this, currently im far ahead of schedule and hoping to afford a nice holiday after refinancing the house Smiley

One thing I have come to appreciate from doing this is market depth, when your looking to sell 500-800 btc you soon appreciate it a lot more than when you were trading with 1-10 btc Tongue

There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Cranky4u

Activity: 810
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 03:03:13 AM

Congrats fellow Aussie, I am sooooo jealous.

I discovered BTC in mid 2012 yet still hope to continue this wild ride with similair results over the next few years. What do you think BTCs will rise to in the next 12 months given the EU meltdown?

BIGMERVE

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 03:20:49 AM

So only 4 years into a 30 year house loan of ~0.5 million AUD and thanks to buying bitcoins at $5 and lower several years ago (and some well timed buy&sells recently) Im in a position to settle 1/2 the biggest debt I will have in my life.

So Im in a slow process of dumping chunks of btc & ltc on the market with my goal in sight.
Im currently 35% there, which is already enough to make a sizeable difference on my monthly loan repayments Smiley

I was holding out for the magic $1'000'000 but then I realized I wouldnt know what to do with it, my only goal in this life is to build some security for myself and my family which thanks to bitcoin I now can. Should anything happen to me health wise, my Fiancee does not have to worry about where she will be living anymore or if she can afford the bills.

So I will most likely end up selling 1/2 to 1/3rd of my holdings to achieve this, currently im far ahead of schedule and hoping to afford a nice holiday after refinancing the house Smiley

One thing I have come to appreciate from doing this is market depth, when your looking to sell 500-800 btc you soon appreciate it a lot more than when you were trading with 1-10 btc Tongue

Congratulations. And it is smart of you to cash some out instead of trying to get greedy and wait too long.

shibaji

Activity: 308
Merit: 102

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 03:23:07 AM

Congrats! It is always nice to know about usefulness of btc with some tangible value. Very cool! May be write a story here about how you got introduced to btc and all, and it would be an interesting read.
optimator

Activity: 351
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 03:29:06 AM

Congratulations. And it is smart of you to cash some out instead of trying to get greedy and wait too long.

I agree! Either way - If bitcoin goes to the moon or crashes and burns, you might have said..."If I only..."

But of course, you don't know now. Well played, sir!

mem (OP)

Herp Derp PTY LTD

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 03:38:56 AM

Congrats! It is always nice to know about usefulness of btc with some tangible value. Very cool! May be write a story here about how you got introduced to btc and all, and it would be an interesting read.

Good Idea, Im 34% of the way right now, once I hit 100% or close enough I shall write up a decent post covering my little journey.

Its funny to think back, Ive been a fan of bitcoin at least a year longer than I have been an investor, It took a year of watching it before I decided I finally wanted in. I remember watching it crash from $30 and finally deciding to buy in @ ~$5 nearly a year later Smiley

I will still have a reasonable stake in bitcoin after I finish this, one that I would be more comfortable losing Smiley

mem (OP)

Herp Derp PTY LTD

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 03:42:21 AM

Congrats fellow Aussie, I am sooooo jealous.

Beers are on me mate after the settlement Cheesy

I discovered BTC in mid 2012 yet still hope to continue this wild ride with similair results over the next few years. What do you think BTCs will rise to in the next 12 months given the EU meltdown?

It really is hard to predict, personally I wouldnt be surprised to see it hit ~$20 or $200 again Tongue
However I do predict the next spike to be incredible, $500-$1000 easily before a crazy correction period again.

Thanks Merve and yes, I saw the wild ride up to ~$265 and missed that small window of opportunity due to being busy with renovations that night.
I managed to sell about 50 btc then and rebought after the crash @ $55 Cheesy

The crash  really put things in perspective for me, I realized I had (and would have again) the chance to reduce the biggest debt I will ever have in my life while Im still young and I decided "its time". What really swung the decision was the realization that settling 50-70% of this debt would give me an extra $1500-$2000 a month to spend..... on bitcoins Tongue

I realized Id be quite happy rebuying at any future lows and having the extra available cash Cheesy

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3214

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 04:06:51 AM

Hang on. Interest rates are very low right now. Paying off your mortgage is probably not the best plan with interest rates so low. If bitcoins are your only investment, then perhaps you could sell some to make some less risky investments, instead. It is true that paying off your mortgage early lowers risk, but it is an extreme step when your interest rate is so low.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Seal
Donator

Activity: 848
Merit: 1078

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 04:46:57 AM

Congrats, where abouts in Aussie are you? Housing here is soooo expensive!

Out of curiosity, how do you get your money back to AUD as there aren't many AUD brokers here anymore, they all keep getting shut down?

DefiDive - Filter the noise
A clean crypto asset management terminal
mem (OP)

Herp Derp PTY LTD

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 07:29:14 AM

Out of curiosity, how do you get your money back to AUD as there aren't many AUD brokers here anymore, they all keep getting shut down?

Perth WA, the most isolated shithole capital city in the world Tongue

For amounts under $1000 I always had plenty of friends willing to buy MTGOX/ BTCE codes off me Smiley
For the larger amounts I will be trying both okpay and direct deposit to my AUD bank account which mtgox supports.
To be safe Im doing a 30 (USD)/70 (AUD) split so I have plenty of options available.

Hang on. Interest rates are very low right now. Paying off your mortgage is probably not the best plan with interest rates so low. If bitcoins are your only investment, then perhaps you could sell some to make some less risky investments, instead. It is true that paying off your mortgage early lowers risk, but it is an extreme step when your interest rate is so low.

Im with Keystart if you are familiar with them, the cunts are currently charging higher than what the federal reserve bank advises - basically keystart is turning from a good govt initiative to a money grabbing institution. So I'll be happy to leave them anyway.

That being said, I welcome advice for other investment opportunities, I wouldn't mind owning some silver and gold but I need to research more first.

SRoulette

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 09:35:27 AM

So your a bitcoin Thousandaire ? congratulations.

Nice to see some contributing members of the community get a nice well deserved kick back.

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 09:42:35 AM
Last edit: April 29, 2013, 09:52:37 AM by Lethn

Grats! What's interesting for me is this is exactly the kind of thing I calculated would happen with a deflationary currency so I'm glad to see some RL examples coming along finally, I expect to see more people buying houses without even needing a mortgage soon enough, hope things carry on like this for you.
Bitsaurus

Activity: 873
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 12:38:07 PM

Hope to be able to do this someday. Thousandaire!
Seal
Donator

Activity: 848
Merit: 1078

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 12:45:42 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA, spoken like a true aussie.

good govt initiative to a money grabbing institution. So I'll be happy to leave them anyway.

Isnt that the whole of australia in general? This entire country is just one big rip-off! $3 bucks for a bottle of water, whats that all about!?

DefiDive - Filter the noise
A clean crypto asset management terminal
dakiller

Activity: 174
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 12:49:08 PM

Fellow aussie out east.  Smiley

With the small investments I've made, I'm aiming to get a nice house deposit out of the few $k I put in 2 years ago. Still got a bit more holding to do. No rush on my part, my girlfriend already bought the first house herself, the next one will be mine in a few years time.
1m1nd

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 10:46:11 PM

For amounts under $1000 I always had plenty of friends willing to buy MTGOX/ BTCE codes off me Smiley
For the larger amounts I will be trying both okpay and direct deposit to my AUD bank account which mtgox supports.
To be safe Im doing a 30 (USD)/70 (AUD) split so I have plenty of options available.

Im with Keystart if you are familiar with them, the cunts are currently charging higher than what the federal reserve bank advises - basically keystart is turning from a good govt initiative to a money grabbing institution. So I'll be happy to leave them anyway.

That being said, I welcome advice for other investment opportunities, I wouldn't mind owning some silver and gold but I need to research more first.

With large sums of money (around or above $100k) and not much experience, you would most likely be better off finding a legitimate irl broker or financial management service. The fees are usually reasonable (actually quite cheap imo for expert financial management that you can be involved in as little or as much as you want). They can build a risk managed and diverse portfolio covering all sorts of markets that can give you an income as well as growing value. You will probably never see the kind of returns (or level of risk) than we see with bitcoin though.

The time to invest in silver was 20 years ago, imo.

Congrats btw  Smiley
mem (OP)

Herp Derp PTY LTD

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 03:42:48 AM

Whoo, my mtgox account is unlocked - I can continue my journey Cheesy

Unfortunately my orders were not frozen when I first requested the OTP to be unlinked, but perhaps 24h - 48h later.

Absolutely thrilled with that fluke of a rebuy, could not have gone better if I was sitting in front of the screen myself Cheesy

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: