Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 11:13:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for Bitcoin Econonmists  (Read 2192 times)
charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 04:31:53 AM

The Bitcoin Education Project is looking for economists to help develop content for our free crowdsourced online course:

https://www.udemy.com/bitcoin-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-crypto/

Please either post in this thread or PM me for more details

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
fran2k

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 05:13:35 AM

Wow! Excellent work Smiley
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 05:27:15 AM

Great site!

I'm willing to contribute, but I still don't have a clear overview of bitcoin economy. Basically I think bitcoin is suitable to function as a store of value (currently there is no similar product as powerful as bitcoin), but it has to be visualized like gold to get wider acceptance, especially woman

As a medium of exchange, it is a mixed bag, unstable price, limited exchange, consumer not able to do a charge back, etc...

inge

Activity: 298
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 02:46:37 PM

Basically I think bitcoin is suitable to function as a store of value (currently there is no similar product as powerful as bitcoin), but it has to be visualized like gold to get wider acceptance, especially woman

I don’t have any problem to understand Bitcoins as a carrier of value. With all respect, why do you think women need to think about gold?... Smiley
BTConomist

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 06:37:05 PM

The Bitcoin Education Project is looking for economists to help develop content for our free crowdsourced online course:

https://www.udemy.com/bitcoin-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-crypto/

Please either post in this thread or PM me for more details

Are you a bitcoin miner or just a buyer/user?

Bitcoins are earned, not traded! If you plan on hoarding BTC, you're on my target list. (And yes, it is possible to swim in BTC.)

Don't give me that Bull... I'm one of those honey eating Bears that the bees hope to never meet again... Viva la BTC!!!
charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 06:39:04 PM

I'm an educator seeking to spread our currency to the world. I need good economists to help explain the complex issues of a deflationary currency and the metrics we use to understand how bitcoin is doing.

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
BTConomist

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 06:43:11 PM

I'm an educator seeking to spread our currency to the world. I need good economists to help explain the complex issues of a deflationary currency and the metrics we use to understand how bitcoin is doing.

How are you planning to pay for all this if you are not a miner? Even miners don't mine bitcoins for free.

Bitcoins are earned, not traded! If you plan on hoarding BTC, you're on my target list. (And yes, it is possible to swim in BTC.)

Don't give me that Bull... I'm one of those honey eating Bears that the bees hope to never meet again... Viva la BTC!!!
charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 06:56:31 PM

How are you planning to pay for all this if you are not a miner? Even miners don't mine bitcoins for free.

The say way Satoshi paid to develop bitcoin. Through volunteers and community donations. I am working for free and I got Udemy to support us at no cost. We will never have to pay for bandwidth for our lectures. The more people who enter the bitcoin world; the more money my bitcoins are worth.

AlexMerced

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 07:05:38 PM

I would consider myself darn close to an economist (my website - learneconomicsnow.com) I'd be willing to help out, PM me details

BTConomist

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 08:31:11 PM

The say way Satoshi paid to develop bitcoin. Through volunteers and community donations. I am working for free and I got Udemy to support us at no cost. We will never have to pay for bandwidth for our lectures. The more people who enter the bitcoin world; the more money my bitcoins are worth.

It's important to understand that starting bitcoin and developing it are not the same thing: the former involves Mining (creation of X), the latter — Minting (promotion of X as a thing of value — a.k.a. sales). Your service clearly helps turn bitcoins (a "mined form" of binary code) into BTCs (a "minted form" of binary code). So, the question becomes, how do you motivate someone to sell something that has no utility to begin with when there's not even a tiny commission attached to a sale?

Let's face it, it is in the miners' interest to start paying the sellers to increase BTC's circulation... Otherwise, their innovation (bitcoin) will continue to have less than a $3 underlying value (i.e. the cost of extracting a bitcoin), until it finally would hit zero after all bitcoins have been mined and most miners have long moved onto the next lucrative opportunity.

AlexMerced

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 08:35:06 PM

this is a youtube course I did on currency and money to see what I can do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed2NvDFEhCM&list=PL4B597A0247C4D0C4&index=4

charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 08:36:03 PM

I'm not entirely sure how you are linking this to mining. My goal is to educate the general public on bitcoin. The only thing this could accomplish would be for more demand for bitcoins thus reducing supply and increasing prices.

BTConomist

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 08:45:14 PM

I'm not entirely sure how you are linking this to mining. My goal is to educate the general public on bitcoin. The only thing this could accomplish would be for more demand for bitcoins thus reducing supply and increasing prices.

I'm linking your service to selling something that has been created out of a thin air. The only sure way to create demand for bitcoins is to turn them into BTCs through increased spending, not hoarding. So, figure out a way to pay your lecturers in BTC.

AlexMerced

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 08:45:52 PM

It wouldn't reduce the supply, you'd just be shifting the demand curve to the left, the supply curve would stay place (technically ASICS will shift the supply curve to the right)

AlexMerced

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 08:47:43 PM

I'm linking your service to selling something that has been created out of a thin air. They only way to create demand for bitcoins is to turn them into BTCs through increased spending, not hoarding.

what are you talking about?

His project works along these lines:
- People stay away from things they don't understand
- People who don't understand cryto won't buy or sell stuff in crypto
- If people are educated to understand crypto they won't stay away
- More people will buy and sell stuff in crypto
- Everyone in the COmmunity wins... what's the problem with this?

AlexMerced

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 08:51:00 PM

Topics that would be discussed in Bitcoin economics:

- The economics of Money (what is money, what is it's function, how does bitcoin do this)
- Economics of Bitcoin distribution (how does the method of bitcoin creation effect who gets them and the structure of production "Hint: the structure of production tends to cater towards those closer to money creation than downstream money receivers")
- How different countries rules effect the local use of bitcoin
- How technology effect the use of bitcoin
- The Division of Labor in the bitcoin community

plenty of stuff to write about

charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 08:52:06 PM

Maybe there is a language barrier and he is having difficulty communicating his ideas? Yes you have correctly summarized what I am trying to do. Fair point on supply not decreasing, my point was the demand will drive the price point higher, which is what we want as bitcoin holders.

BTConomist

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 08:54:34 PM

I'm linking your service to selling something that has been created out of a thin air. They only way to create demand for bitcoins is to turn them into BTCs through increased spending, not hoarding.

There won't be any worthwhile buying or selling of products/services without the increase in spending by miners -- they are the only ones who initially seed BTCs into circulation, thus increasing the total BTC money supply (not to be confused with the monetary base of 21 million bitcoins).

AlexMerced

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 08:59:54 PM

There won't be any worthwhile buying or selling of products/services without the increase in spending by miners -- they are the only ones who initially seed BTCs into circulation, thus increasing the total BTC money supply (not to be confused with the monetary base of 21 million bitcoins).

that I totally agree with, but most of miners just want to sell there BTC for cash so the more people want BTC to buy goods the more they will pay miners for the coins they've mined then the real BTC economy can begin.

BTConomist

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 09:04:11 PM

It may help to think of miners as the FED of bitcoin-based economy: they are in complete control of fluctuations in BTC money supply by how much bitcoins they decide to put back into circulation after taking them out through transaction fees.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: