Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 05:46:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hive Wallet lost 12 word seed phrase lost - Reward $1000.00 US *****  (Read 1440 times)
PentagonPinnacle (OP)

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 06, 2017, 03:06:21 PM
Last edit: May 06, 2017, 05:50:56 PM by PentagonPinnacle

Hi,

A few years ago I bought litecoins and I lost the 12 word paraphrase of my Hive account is there any way I can recover the funds ?

I still have the Hive wallet installed on my ipad.

I'm willing to offer a reward for help.

P

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SopaXT

Activity: 158
Merit: 113

View Profile
May 06, 2017, 04:06:00 PM

Do you have the wallet file? It can be imported into MultiBit. If you don't and you had only the seed phrase, then I am afraid I can't help.
EDIT: Oh, you still have it installed? I don't have any experience with iOS whatsoever, but I'd suggest exporting the data from the iPad to your PC first: http://lifehacker.com/5891964/can-i-transfer-app-data-and-game-saves-from-my-iphone-to-a-new-ipad

PentagonPinnacle (OP)

View Profile
May 06, 2017, 04:07:06 PM

The wallet app is on my ipad, is that what you mean by file ?
SopaXT

View Profile
May 06, 2017, 04:09:10 PM

No, I misread "app" as "file". See my edited post (you might want to refresh the page).

SopaXT

View Profile
May 06, 2017, 04:11:48 PM

Anyway, the article I linked suggests using the program called "IExplorer" to export the data (possibly including the wallet data of Hive wallet) from the device onto your PC.
There might be a wallet file that can be imported somewhere else on your PC.

I'd suggest following these steps:

Download the app you want to transfer data to on your new iPad.
Plug your iPhone into your computer.
Start up iExplorer and wait for your device to show up in the file browser.
Click the arrow next to your device name.
Click the arrow next to Apps.
Find the app you want to transfer data from and click the arrow.
Inside the app's main folder is a folder called Documents. That's where your saved data and game saves are located. Copy it to your desktop.

(taken from the article)

Again, I don't have any experience with iOS or Hive wallet, but doing the above seems intuitive to me.

PentagonPinnacle (OP)

View Profile
May 06, 2017, 05:23:58 PM

I found the backed up Hive files but not sure what to do with them  ??
PentagonPinnacle (OP)

View Profile
May 06, 2017, 05:29:34 PM
Last edit: May 06, 2017, 05:53:44 PM by PentagonPinnacle

Anyway, the article I linked suggests using the program called "IExplorer" to export the data (possibly including the wallet data of Hive wallet) from the device onto your PC.
There might be a wallet file that can be imported somewhere else on your PC.

I'd suggest following these steps:

Download the app you want to transfer data to on your new iPad.
Plug your iPhone into your computer.
Start up iExplorer and wait for your device to show up in the file browser.
Click the arrow next to your device name.
Click the arrow next to Apps.
Find the app you want to transfer data from and click the arrow.
Inside the app's main folder is a folder called Documents. That's where your saved data and game saves are located. Copy it to your desktop.

(taken from the article)

Again, I don't have any experience with iOS or Hive wallet, but doing the above seems intuitive to me.

The documents folder was empty .....

However, the main app folder App - com.hivewallet.Hive.iOS had a bunch of files inside:

.db files
cookies
Preferences
Webkit

SopaXT

View Profile
May 06, 2017, 05:56:49 PM

Oh, you might want to copy them all to one place on your PC. What are their names by the way (I mean all of the files there)?
As per the sources, the databases appear to have some data in them. If you trust me (better ask someone with more trust and experience), you can send me those files in an encrypted archive.
I don't recommend doing that though, as nothing, literally nothing stops me from trying to steal your coins, so think thrice before trusting anyone with the files.

You could also try extracting the data yourself, but I literally have no idea what format are these files in. If you could post some screenshots of these files open in a hex editor (such as HxD), that'd help.
Still, I wouldn't recommend sharing these images publicly, as they might reveal your private key.

You know the wallet PIN/password, right?

PentagonPinnacle (OP)

View Profile
May 06, 2017, 06:01:23 PM

I did saved the file names are:

Cookies.binarycookies
com.apple.WebFoundation.plist
com.hivewallet.Hive.iOS.plist
Databases.db
0000000000000001.db
0000000000000002.db
file__0.localstorage

Hive 1.0.ipa
SopaXT

View Profile
May 06, 2017, 06:06:34 PM

Again, please see my previous post that I edited.

PentagonPinnacle (OP)

View Profile
May 06, 2017, 06:13:07 PM

I dont know the password & im not posting pics or sharing the files ...i need someone to confirm if there is any hope in getting my coins without the 12 word seed phrase/pass.

If there is share instructions....
SopaXT

View Profile
May 06, 2017, 06:24:45 PM

Basically, if you could access the wallet on your device the last time, you probably still have access to the coins.
The 12-word seed phrase is IIRC just for recovery purposes.

Seems like you have all the necessary data files. I'd estimate a ~75% probability of recovery of your wallet by an experienced person.
Why can't you access your Hive wallet in the first place? Is it related to them closing down, or did you lose the ability to log into your account?
If the first, then your odds are pretty high. I'd suggest you to contact a reputable wallet recovery service and ask them for help.

PentagonPinnacle (OP)

View Profile
May 06, 2017, 06:39:34 PM

The app is still loaded on my ipad to open an existing wallet you need to enter the 12 word paraphrase.

Unfortunately this is when I first got into coins so I didnt pay attention to the details : / I don't have the paraphrase

Thanks for your help and the tip I contacted a wallet recovery service but my offer for a reward still stands if I can get those F^%$'n LiteCoins!
PentagonPinnacle (OP)

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 05:09:22 PM

The wallet recovery service says they cant help. So I guess the 12 word phrase is vital.

This has got to be the worst every security feature and for some reason its adopted by all wallets ??

Incredible, applying a 12 word phrase password which is not backed up /encrypted by any service providers in a world where the blockchains key feature is multiple back ups of stored data transactions.

Moron programmers. There is definitely a better way if there is any proof cryptocurrency is at its infancy look no further.
SopaXT

View Profile
May 08, 2017, 05:41:33 AM

Well, I still could try digging these files. Again, I don't recommend sending them to me - I am not trustworthy, you might want to find someone else to trust your wallet with. If you don't really care anymore and/or no one else is able to help, I might be able to some last-resort attempts to recover the wallet. I can easily steal your coins, so think twice.

barefooter

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 15, 2017, 09:01:11 PM

I never used hive for iOS, but I recently recovered an old bitcoin hive wallet from mac os, so I may be able to help. If you have the wallet files, and they're not encrypted with a password/pin, then there should be a way to recover them. When you setup your wallet, did you create a password or a pin? The 12 word seed isn't really a password, so much a backup, so you can restore your wallet if the file is lost, but assuming you still have the actual wallet file, you don't need the seed words, just a way to read the wallet.

The desktop hive stored the wallet in a file called bitcoinkit.wallet, did you find any file with that name? It's possible the iOS version stores it in one of the .db files you found, I'd need to dig through the Hive source a bit and see. If your wallet didn't have a password or pin that you forgot, I'd be willing to dig into this a bit.
mmo_online_1981

Activity: 798
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 08:48:15 AM

Dear friend
Can you sent to me your backup of your Ipad with Hive Wallet?
I think i can retore this file to my ipad to check!
mmo4me.2016

Activity: 812
Merit: 256

View Profile
May 21, 2017, 01:15:49 AM

Dear friend
Can you sent to me your backup of your Ipad with Hive Wallet?
I think i can retore this file to my ipad to check!
I think, if they can access or still have applications / They will not need help, I do not really understand the topic. Hope to be fully informed
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2017, 03:20:57 AM

Did you open up all those files in a text editor? That's what I do with random files, just in case they weren't saved with a weird encoding/encryption and I can read or run them through a decoder. Older wallets without input for years might be more likely not to have had their working files locked down tight.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
awakennyc

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 04:36:55 PM

Hi,

A few years ago I bought litecoins and I lost the 12 word paraphrase of my Hive account is there any way I can recover the funds ?

I still have the Hive wallet installed on my ipad.

I'm willing to offer a reward for help.

P
I too am having trouble recovering my Bitcoin from Hive wallet IOS.  I do not have the 12 word passphrase.  I have been able to download my 2015 settings to my iPhone.  When I put my pin in it doesn't connect to a server.  Does anyone have any ideas for recovery?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: