Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 03:23:13 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ViaBTC: Should we active Segwit?  (Read 2621 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Lauda (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2017, 08:06:34 PM
Last edit: May 07, 2017, 08:57:45 PM by Lauda

If you support Segwit and want to see it activated soon (and have a Twtitter account obviously), then you should vote for it: https://twitter.com/ViaBTC/status/860933165002522625
If you have voted 'Yes' on the first poll, you should probably vote 'No' on this one (even though they aren't mutually exclusive as Segwit is essentially equal to bigger blocks): https://twitter.com/ViaBTC/status/860933065022898176

They are probably reconsidering after they've seen the effect on Segwit in other alts.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
FlamingFingers

Activity: 1344
Merit: 288

View Profile
May 06, 2017, 08:13:41 PM
Last edit: May 06, 2017, 08:33:03 PM by FlamingFingers

So there are 821 Votes for Yes, and 181 votes for No to implement SegWit. But do you really think they are going to take that poll into consideration for supporting SegWit? Because I don't think so (though I have voted). When money speaks, all the other noises turn to silence.

B.I.O.K.R.I.P.T|
  BiokriptX Fair Launch is now live in PINKSALE
|🟣 Twitter
🔵 Facebook
🟣 Telegram
Lauda (OP)
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2017, 08:20:41 PM

So there are 821 Votes for Yes, and 181 votes for No to implement SegWit.
A reasonable super majority is in favor of Segwit wherever you look, besides the current number of blocks mined with it (which makes no sense considering the first part of this sentence).

But do you really think they are going to take that poll into consideration for supporting SegWit, because I don't think so (though I have voted). When money speaks, all the other noises turn to silence.
You could both say yes and no to this question. F2Pool had a similar poll after which they have started signalling for Segwit. You can, of course, argue that they did it for some other reason(s) as well. It can't hurt to show your support this way in any case.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
quake313

Activity: 268
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 06, 2017, 08:50:23 PM

So there are 821 Votes for Yes, and 181 votes for No to implement SegWit.
A reasonable super majority is in favor of Segwit wherever you look, besides the current number of blocks mined with it (which makes no sense considering the first part of this sentence).

But do you really think they are going to take that poll into consideration for supporting SegWit, because I don't think so (though I have voted). When money speaks, all the other noises turn to silence.
You could both say yes and no to this question. F2Pool had a similar poll after which they have started signalling for Segwit. You can, of course, argue that they did it for some other reason(s) as well. It can't hurt to show your support this way in any case.

Let us hope this is the beginning of the end to the scaling wars. Forgive, accept and move on. Progress must be made.
BitcoinPanther

Activity: 1918
Merit: 564

View Profile
May 06, 2017, 08:58:46 PM

Voted yes to active Segwit, Out of 1589 votes 81% are in favor of Segwit and only 19% are not.  I hope viabtc consider this poll on what to support or if they are supporting HF, I hope this poll will make them consider and see that lots of Bitcoin enthusiast are in favor of Segwit and start broadcasting their support for it.

Let us hope this is the beginning of the end to the scaling wars. Forgive, accept and move on. Progress must be made.

I agree, it is time for Bitcoin to move forward with Segwit activated.
bartolo

Activity: 1176
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 06, 2017, 09:04:56 PM

So there are 821 Votes for Yes, and 181 votes for No to implement SegWit. But do you really think they are going to take that poll into consideration for supporting SegWit? Because I don't think so (though I have voted). When money speaks, all the other noises turn to silence.

I think it wouldn´t make much sense to make this survey if they didn´t take into account the result afterwards. In fact it´s likely they have their decision almost made and are doing the survey to look for a confirmation in the form of popular support. I voted for it because it seems that the effect on other coins is being positive and I think the fastest and safest way to end the scalability debate is, nowadays, the activation of Segwit.
crazyivan
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1007

DMD Diamond Making Money 4+ years! Join us!

View Profile
May 06, 2017, 09:07:16 PM

Voted yes to active Segwit, Out of 1589 votes 81% are in favor of Segwit and only 19% are not.  I hope viabtc consider this poll on what to support or if they are supporting HF, I hope this poll will make them consider and see that lots of Bitcoin enthusiast are in favor of Segwit and start broadcasting their support for it.

+1

Look what great result it brought to LTC. I m sure something similar would happen to BTC price as well. Who would not want that?

MOVE it Viabtc.  Grin

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
Lauda (OP)
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2017, 09:22:56 PM

Segwit is the right choice and the market has proved that it favors it.

Voted yes to active Segwit, Out of 1589 votes 81% are in favor of Segwit and only 19% are not. 
It's doing pretty decently, although BTU altcoin supporters are complaining about the poll being "sybil attacked" whilst they have linked it in their own subreddit. Ironic. Roll Eyes

Look what great result it brought to LTC. I m sure something similar would happen to BTC price as well. Who would not want that?
Besides the enemies of Bitcoin, I don't see how someone wouldn't want that. Tongue

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Qartada

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2017, 09:31:17 PM

Obviously no one can prove that the poll is legitimate and that there aren't fake/additional accounts being used.  However, any claim that it's illegitimate would be unreasonable, just because the amount of malicious people and hardcore pumpers is going to be roughly equal on each side.

Just like the F2Pool poll showed before, public support is largely for SegWit.  Miners will have to follow eventually or nothing will happen at all.

freebutcaged

Activity: 588
Merit: 541

View Profile
May 06, 2017, 09:38:53 PM

If BW comes around and drop the 8MB nonsense support and starts signalling for SW I think we're good to go, honestly 8MB is never gonna get the majority support so why keep the whole network as a hostage while if we all stand united we'll have much more to offer to the world?

I can see even now everything seems divided still there is confidence in system from community and we're at $1500 price ranging, what would've happened if we were all united as a whole? price will definitely rise above $1800 no doubt.

I've always used their tx acc and the first block they found my tx was in it, so while you have good intentions then lets test SW again as a whole because that way even if we fail we have the support of the majority and we'd said it was the majority's decision not a %51+ hash power attack forcing the change.
richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
May 06, 2017, 09:40:28 PM

Besides the enemies of Bitcoin, I don't see how someone wouldn't want that. Tongue

There are still those wackos that are in favor of a split purely because they will have the double number of coins. Just for their own benefit, they have no problems with causing a massive blood bath in case a split becomes reality -- clowns are they. Either way, I voted Yes on the activate SegWit poll. It's a bit weird to vote on the second poll since it could basically mean anything, so I decided not to vote there.
AgentofCoin
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 06, 2017, 09:40:33 PM

Obviously no one can prove that the poll is legitimate and that there aren't fake/additional accounts being used.  However, any claim that it's illegitimate would be unreasonable, just because the amount of malicious people and hardcore pumpers is going to be roughly equal on each side.

Just like the F2Pool poll showed before, public support is largely for SegWit.  Miners will have to follow eventually or nothing will happen at all.

What is important is that they are actually asking, by taking a poll.
That means they are at least contemplating that they may need to
activate SegWit at some near term point.

Ultimately, due to pressures coming from many different directions,
miners like ViaBTC will need to make a final decision, but there are only
2 possible choices (since the third, do nothing, can not exist forever).

So, the question becomes, is ViaBTC and other miners willing to hardfork
the network without the support of many separate sectors? I think not.
Ultimately they will need to accept SegWit since they will never perform
a contentious hardfork on their own accord (unless it was a purposeful
attack, such as by a government or their intelligence services).

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
Request a signed message if you are associating with anyone claiming to be me.
Zicadis
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1027

Dump it!!!

View Profile
May 06, 2017, 09:46:22 PM

Voted yes to active Segwit, Out of 1589 votes 81% are in favor of Segwit and only 19% are not.  I hope viabtc consider this poll on what to support or if they are supporting HF, I hope this poll will make them consider and see that lots of Bitcoin enthusiast are in favor of Segwit and start broadcasting their support for it.

+1

MOVE it Viabtc.  Grin
voted YES to activate as well because we can not remain neutral about this as it will divide the community in half with two different Bitcoins emerging

and if the proposed fork fails to deliver whats expected of it am sure we can revert back to the old version
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4144
Merit: 1637

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2017, 10:03:31 PM
Last edit: May 06, 2017, 10:35:57 PM by -ck

While it's hard to know with certainty without any context what the purpose of this poll was - be it that they expected their followers to confirm they don't want segwit or they genuinely are reconsidering it - the response should be enough for them to consider it regardless. The effect it had on the floundering litecoin economy should have been an eye opener for them, especially since they also run ViaLTC and helped activate it. My take on it is they are actually realising going against it for dubious political reasons is bad for bitcoin. They even said on their feed "The main reason to refuse SegWit is because the Roadmap of bitcoin core, not the technical detail." While they have lashed out with a few attacks on segwit themselves, they have not done so to the extent that Bitmain did, where changing your mind and backtracking would make them lose face on a grand level. Naturally voting against segwit will be seen as implying one would be voting for them continuing their BIP100+BU support, so hopefully they interpret any vote for segwit as against those too.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
7788bitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1023

View Profile
May 06, 2017, 11:41:10 PM

Glad to know ViaBTC is starting to reconsider their position. Looking at the success of LTC, I hope miners will start to understand what is better for the development of bitcoin.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
May 06, 2017, 11:55:12 PM

I wonder what the thinking is behind it. I presume it's a face saving measure where they can say they're fulfilling the will of 'the people' despite their own misgivings. A neat out for them.
FiendCoin

Activity: 462
Merit: 263

The devil is in the detail.

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 12:46:42 AM

Only the true shills will resist now.

SegWit (and next Bitcoin exponential bubble) by late summer, early fall.

Good times ahead  Grin

"Darkness is good. Dick Cheney. Darth Vader. Satan. That's power." -Steve Bannon
ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 01:43:26 AM

If it was a 3rd party sponsoring the poll I'd say  they'd discount it like they've discounted everything else. But at least they are publicly asking the question. I see this as a positive sign. Hopefully the lopsidedness of the poll will make it clear to them that they are the problem in the scalability debate by holding out on this.

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
isen

Activity: 854

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 03:40:58 AM

It's been less than a month since the last time they announced that they are against it https://medium.com/@ViaBTC/why-we-dont-support-segwit-91d44475cc18
Do you guys believe that they changed their mind  so quick and now they are seriously thinking to start signaling segwit?
aarturka

Activity: 277

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 03:49:10 AM

Voted fo Segwit and not bigger blocks. I think Segwit increases the block capacity so it's early days yet to decide wheather we need bigger blocks or not. First we need to see if SegWit will be enough. We don't need to inflate blockchain unnecessarily
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: