Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 12:59:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice on Mining Farm Buildout  (Read 4047 times)
gwestcot (OP)

Activity: 794
Merit: 272

View Profile
May 06, 2017, 11:18:30 PM

Hello everyone! I am now attempting to move from home mining into a 1250 sq ft warehouse. I will increase my mining from 5 to 20 6x GTX 1070 zcash mining rigs. The rigs are rack mountable and will be installed in 42U racks. I am also going to have 3 phase 480V service installed at the maximum amount of amperage allowable by the power company. I have read up quite a bit on data center infrastructure which seems to be similar to a mining operation. I will have raised floors with the cooling initially being done by a single 30 ton Liebert downflow CRAC Unit. Additionally, I will be using a hot aisle cold aisle setup to maintain air flow efficiency. My main issue is in my lack of knowledge with power distribution. Unlike a data center, I do not initially care about redundancy and backup power because of cost considerations so a single flow of electricity is fine by me for my first setup. My main question has to do with how the large 225+ kvA PDU's are installed. Do they wire into a main distribution panel or do they feed directly into a service line? My single line was hard to plan because I lack the knowledge. It was supposed to go service line-->panel-->PDU's (480V to 208V/120V)-->Vertical metered PDU's-->Mining Rigs. I will also have all my wiring, patch cables and electrical conduit run through cable trays above the racks. If you have any information that could help me with power distribution or the overall design of my medium sized farm then I would be very thankful! Have a great day!     

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
drsub

Activity: 332
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2017, 12:26:40 AM

Unless you have cheap electricty, sometimes is better to just put your rigs at a hosting facility.
gwestcot (OP)

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 05:14:09 AM

Why? Even with .11 per kwh on my electricity there is still 7000 dollars profit every month with 20 rigs. That is after the subtraction of electricity of the rigs, electricity for cooling, insurance, water, internet, and of course rent. I really was just looking for some help in regards to infrastructure since I have already ascertained that it is profitable to mine.
szafa

Activity: 812
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 05:52:18 AM

What advice you want to know?
jwarren81

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 05:55:03 AM

I'm looking at doing similar, but not full data center like you are describing.  I was planning on multiple 30A 208V or possible 230V outlets wired to metered and switched PDUs.  These are very common for data centers.  Each line would terminate at the rack with a NEMA L6-30R receptacle for your PDU to plug into.  Based on 4U rigs, 10 rigs per 42U rack, and 1000W per rig; two 30A circuits per rack should be sufficient.  Physically you can't get much more than that in a standard 42U rack anyways.  That's sixty cards per rack . . . maybe 80 if you pack it, but you better be moving some air. Grin

Sounds fun!  Can't wait for my own, still working on a location.

Jake
jwarren81

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 06:07:29 AM

Re-read your question . . . I think it depends on the building and the service coming in and whether existing distribution panels can support it or if they need to run all new from the main.  At the data center I work at, we have distribution panels in the server room that our racks pull from directly.  The distribution panel pulls from the main electrical room with the hardware for backup battery's and generators.  We recently had a redundant battery and PDU installed directly in the room for a second leg, which pulls from the main electrical room.  I'd have to talk with our electrical guys to get much more detail than that.  I typically only get involved when specifying what gets run to the racks.
KaydenC

Activity: 610
Merit: 265

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2017, 06:21:44 AM

I'm starting a farm too in a 1600 sqft warehouse. I'm installing 2x fans roughly 50cm in diameter for exhaust cooling, with the ability to expand to 4 fans. No raised floors because additional exhaust airflow is simpler, faster, cheaper.

For power, the warehouse I rented has 3 phrase 415v 40A wired to 6x 13A 240v wall sockets. The plan is to use the pre-installed circuit to 80% load, and install distribution boards with sockets on them, like these (but larger with more sockets): http://ssses.in/products/atm-db-panels/

This way I can plug the psu directly in standard UK plug PDU, and into the distribution board. Again, simple, fast, cheap. The money saved will be spent on more vega gpus.
emdje

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2017, 11:03:44 AM

We do want pictures when you start building your mining operation  Grin
And good luck!
gwestcot (OP)

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 01:39:04 PM

I was going to go with just one vertical PDU and that was going to be of the Tripplite 50A 208V variety that is rated at 14.4 kwh but I think two 30 amps rated at 8.6 kwh would be a little better as far as load bearing goes so thank you for the suggestion. I will of course give pictures but simply 2 42U racks full of rack mountable rigs wouldn't be so sexy. I guess once I kick it off I will show the step by step process and everything that needs to be done for a more traditional build out. I plan to add another 40 rigs or so 9 months after the initial setup. Anyways, thank you for the responses!
zij

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 02:12:11 PM

.......but simply 2 42U racks full of rack mountable rigs wouldn't be so sexy. I guess once I kick it off I will show the step by step process and everything that needs to be done for a more traditional build out. I plan to add another 40 rigs or so 9 months after the initial setup.

If you have that much space in the warehouse, why not spread things out a bit rather than keeping every in 42U cabinets?  It will help with keeping things getting too hot..  Also, how high is the roof as having a high room and 1250 sqft or more space should naturally keep things cool but it will depend on where you are in the world.  Iceland cooler than Dubai..
gwestcot (OP)

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 02:23:12 PM

I am keeping them in cabinets because it is space efficient and it allows me to control the flow of air in a predictable manner. I will continue to rapidly expand the mining operations as quickly as I possibly can so racks also allow a certain degree of organization in regards to cable management. Well the warehouse I am looking at has pretty standard ceilings at 18 ft tall. I live in Florida so it is very very warm here in comparison to places up in the north. That being said I won't have the humidity control issues that dryer climates have in data centers.
Sandal_Hat

Activity: 462
Merit: 118

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 05:19:57 PM

Why? Even with .11 per kwh on my electricity there is still 7000 dollars profit every month with 20 rigs. That is after the subtraction of electricity of the rigs, electricity for cooling, insurance, water, internet, and of course rent. I really was just looking for some help in regards to infrastructure since I have already ascertained that it is profitable to mine.

Have u tested this or is this your assumption with online calculators??

Selling 100 dollar coupons (8units expire 11th June, 14 units expire 1st july) and 125 dollar coupon (2 unit exp 30th June). Selling at 20% of value
Jamievs

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 05:33:17 PM

I pay .17 per kw/h and still make a fair profit. Based on actual power usage and actual hash rates from the hardware I have mining right now  Smiley
gwestcot (OP)

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 05:36:04 PM

I have actual hardware that is running right now of course and I keep a spreadsheet of payouts and fees for tax purposes. I know the power companies commercial rates so from there it is fairly trivial to calculate. Cooling costs are roughly 50% of the cost to run the miners depending on the time of year of course. Zcash is especially good to mine for the long term so I am just sticking with that for now.
Sandal_Hat

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 05:40:26 PM

I have actual hardware that is running right now of course and I keep a spreadsheet of payouts and fees for tax purposes. I know the power companies commercial rates so from there it is fairly trivial to calculate. Cooling costs are roughly 50% of the cost to run the miners depending on the time of year of course. Zcash is especially good to mine for the long term so I am just sticking with that for now.

I see. Yours is 0.11 + 0.055, around usd 0.165 cents cost to gpu mine and so far, is working out. Thanks for the info.

I am surprised cooling cost is so high.

Selling 100 dollar coupons (8units expire 11th June, 14 units expire 1st july) and 125 dollar coupon (2 unit exp 30th June). Selling at 20% of value
Sandal_Hat

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 06:13:26 PM

I pay .17 per kw/h and still make a fair profit. Based on actual power usage and actual hash rates from the hardware I have mining right now  Smiley

U are talking about gpu mining and not bitcoin right

Jamievs

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 06:20:52 PM

U are talking about gpu mining and not bitcoin right

Well this is the altcoin subboard ain't it?
jMEGA

Activity: 18

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 07:14:20 PM

Have you looked into renting space from a local colo? Won't have to worry about internet, cooling, insurance, security, etc.
jwarren81

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 07:18:30 PM

Have you looked at mining Skein based coins at all?  And multi-algo mining?  I've found it much more profitable with the right setup.  Are you running Windows or linux on your rigs?

gwestcot (OP)

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 07:21:20 PM

Ya I would rather run my own operation than to utilize any collocation services. I am running windows on my rigs since it is what I am most familiar with it in comparison to Linux.
Sandal_Hat

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 08:18:24 PM

Have you looked into renting space from a local colo? Won't have to worry about internet, cooling, insurance, security, etc.

Would the numbers for that make sense usually?

Btw, the antminer l3 https://shop.bitmain.com/productDetail.htm?pid=000201704270330299161GIIoSKl067B can do about 500mh hashrate for 800watts. This is for scrypt right?

An rx 480 is about 25mh for 140watts if i recall right.
That means only 150mh hash for 840watts

Gpu would nt be able to compete right?
Gpu and antminer l3 are for scrypr right?

gwestcot (OP)

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 10:18:16 PM

No there is a difference between algorithms when it comes to hashrate. I am mining Equihash and I get about 2700 h/s with 6x 1070's. You get 13.7 Th/s with the latest S9 Antminer but that does not mean the antminer is better or more profitable than the GPU rigs. I try to stay with GPU mining because of the ability to switch between coins and also because I generally do not like ASICS. All that happens when a new ASIC comes out is the early buyers make out and then the difficulty goes up so high that the later buyers generally struggle to ROI. GPU rigs can also be liquidated much easier should you ever need to. 
Elder III

Activity: 1246
Merit: 274

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 11:39:39 PM

You're doing an operation at a scale much larger then I have any personal experience with, so I'm not sure how to answer your questions. I would definitely love to to hear from guys that have run commercial server setups and how they dealt with the heat, airflow, and electrical needs. Pictures of the process as you set it up too would be sweet.

We're having work done in our barn this month to make it a little more finished off and will be setting up some rigs out there once everything is ready. It will be a much smaller scale (working upwards to 13 rigs eventually) with a bit more of a redneck vibe to it I imagine. Wink
Shreyas2222

Activity: 1

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 11:45:16 PM

Hey
I need help as well.
Where can I buy 50 graphic cards from?
I live in united states
Elder III

Activity: 1246
Merit: 274

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 11:52:52 PM

If ordering in bulk you could try www.superbiiz.com --- They don't ship as fast as Newegg or have as many sales, but you can order in bigger quantities. If you are going to order 50 at once you might want to contact them directly to see if they have a bulk discount.
gwestcot (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2017, 04:38:16 AM

I would probably go with a major distributor(Ingram Micro, D&H, etc) if you have a business license and if not then yes there are alternatives to purchasing large quantities of components for rigs.
Sandal_Hat

View Profile
May 08, 2017, 05:55:48 AM

No there is a difference between algorithms when it comes to hashrate. I am mining Equihash and I get about 2700 h/s with 6x 1070's. You get 13.7 Th/s with the latest S9 Antminer but that does not mean the antminer is better or more profitable than the GPU rigs. I try to stay with GPU mining because of the ability to switch between coins and also because I generally do not like ASICS. All that happens when a new ASIC comes out is the early buyers make out and then the difficulty goes up so high that the later buyers generally struggle to ROI. GPU rigs can also be liquidated much easier should you ever need to. 

Yes but once this is in, litecoin mining is gameover for gpus and if it can be used for other coins, more gg

zij

Activity: 44

View Profile
May 08, 2017, 06:46:46 AM

Even with .11 per kwh on my electricity there is still 7000 dollars profit every month with 20 rigs.

My profit ratio works out to be roughly the same as yours with my current 10 rigs - but looking to increase that by another 20 when I can source the components which with motherboards and GPUs (RX480 range extremely difficult to get more than one or two at a time in England) being scarce.  I'm just signing a lease on some warehouse space about 1500 sq ft, so electrics, cooling etc are next..
Sandal_Hat

View Profile
May 08, 2017, 08:47:42 AM

20 rigs as in 20 x 6 gpu? 120 gpu?

gwestcot (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2017, 11:57:50 AM

The Scrpyt miners you are referencing can mine no other algorithm other than Scrypt as far as I know. In addition, Bitmain has stated that they have two times the current hash rate in the first two batches which means that difficulty will substantially increase and payout will inversely decrease. I don't think ASICS will ever really completely trump GPU's because of this issue. With GPU rigs you at least have a barrier to entry that requires some technical knowledge. ASICS are simply plug and play.
Sequoia93

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 08, 2017, 05:07:32 PM

Hey OP, what kind of cooling setup do you have for that many GPUs? (240 right?) I saw that yun9999 has two 5000CFM fans in his garage in Texas for about the same size setup (i think). How are you dealing with the Florida heat/humidity? And whats electric like there?
gwestcot (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2017, 05:45:52 PM

Hahaha well it is in my initial paragraph but I will repeat it again. I will purchase a 30 ton Liebert down flow CRAC unit that will take the return air from ductwork at the top and distribute cold air from beneath the raised flooring. I will be doing the hot aisle/cold aisle setup used in most modern data centers. Essentially the hot aisles will have the return vents and the cold aisle will have 55% high air flow grates in the floor that will then feed all of the miners with cold air. 1 kwh=3517 BTU's of cooling and there are 12,000 BTU's per ton. I have enough room to put 40 additional rigs in that room before I will need to add another 30 ton unit so it leaves me with some room to play. The price of electricity is .11 per kwh and as far as humidity goes it is regulated by the CRAC unit which is also usually used in data centers. I could go with the traditional fan setup but I am going for efficiency and sustainability so I am willing to pay more for the initial setup.   
newtybar

Activity: 121

View Profile
May 08, 2017, 05:57:14 PM

For goodness sake...the guy is asking about logistical advice with regards to infrastructure set up. 

Random off topic questions or statements questioning his profitability or choices on what to mine is not what he is looking for.

I planned on following this thread to learn, but felt the need to say something.
Jamievs

View Profile
May 08, 2017, 05:59:17 PM

For goodness sake...the guy is asking about logistical advice with regards to infrastructure set up.  

Random off topic questions or statements questioning his profitability or choices on what to mine is not what he is looking for.

I planned on following this thread to learn, but felt the need to say something.

Amen! The topic starter is living my dream man. If I had the funds to go big I would in a heartbeat
gwestcot (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2017, 06:02:01 PM

Thank the lord there is someone out there! I have done a lot of research regarding infrastructure but the wiring of the PDU's was the only thing I did not understand much when posting. If you really want to learn how to do it professionally then I could suggest some literature that helped me but you will have to wait until I get back home for an author and title.
thenite0wl

Activity: 192

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 08:22:56 PM

does any one have input on this subject?

i'm wanting to increase the size of my small farm but the power limits at my house are preventing that (100amp, no 240v). there are commercial lots available nearby that offer 480v 3 phase power. i have very little knowledge of how to run 12v gpus on this type of power. i mostly buy pc power supplies and so far only run them at 120v. A quick search for 480v 3 phase power supplies shows some but they output 24v and are expensive. most servers run on 208v? and i've seen the server power supplies converted for gpu's with the breakout boards and custom wiring, but what is needed to connect even that setup to 480v 3 phase? i doubt there is any inexpensive way to do this except maybe by second hand server equipment. so any brief explanation of how people have powered their mining farms would be appreciated. thanks
gwestcot (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 02:25:28 AM

You should get a PDU that has voltage step down from 480V to 208V. This is very much so in the tolerance of most PSU's. Most PSU's, if you look on the label or in the booklet, will accept anywhere from 100V to 240V. There are some fairly inexpensive used options that are large and would get the job done. This is an example that would work and it would provide you a lot of room for growth depending on how large you are building out a space.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-Liebert-PPA225C-225KVA-PDU-480x208-120V-3-GE-42-Pole-Panel-Board-/331614725189?hash=item4d35c72445:g:eb0AAOSwrklVXkwu
btcgolong

Activity: 451
Merit: 269

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 02:55:34 AM

Hello everyone! I am now attempting to move from home mining into a 1250 sq ft warehouse. I will increase my mining from 5 to 20 6x GTX 1070 zcash mining rigs. The rigs are rack mountable and will be installed in 42U racks. I am also going to have 3 phase 480V service installed at the maximum amount of amperage allowable by the power company. I have read up quite a bit on data center infrastructure which seems to be similar to a mining operation. I will have raised floors with the cooling initially being done by a single 30 ton Liebert downflow CRAC Unit. Additionally, I will be using a hot aisle cold aisle setup to maintain air flow efficiency. My main issue is in my lack of knowledge with power distribution. Unlike a data center, I do not initially care about redundancy and backup power because of cost considerations so a single flow of electricity is fine by me for my first setup. My main question has to do with how the large 225+ kvA PDU's are installed. Do they wire into a main distribution panel or do they feed directly into a service line? My single line was hard to plan because I lack the knowledge. It was supposed to go service line-->panel-->PDU's (480V to 208V/120V)-->Vertical metered PDU's-->Mining Rigs. I will also have all my wiring, patch cables and electrical conduit run through cable trays above the racks. If you have any information that could help me with power distribution or the overall design of my medium sized farm then I would be very thankful! Have a great day!     

I'm going to talk to my electrician friend about your issue. But I also want to ask you a question, how long of a lease are you signing? Do you have any concerns about the loss of profitability and being locked in a lease?

gwestcot (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 11:49:31 AM

I'm going to talk to my electrician friend about your issue. But I also want to ask you a question, how long of a lease are you signing? Do you have any concerns about the loss of profitability and being locked in a lease?

I am presently not concerned at all about the long term viability because profitability could go down 2 to 3 times and it would still be fine. I have seen warehouse space in my local area that has a 1 year lease so that is not a problem as well. The main issue with being locked into a long term lease is that you may outgrow your space and need to move but are unable to do so. The main thing is getting the utility company to install the proper transformer and line to supply 480V 3 phase. I will say that from my research it is a lot cheaper if there is a pole that is within 80 feet of your warehouse.
Marvell1
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1102

Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 01:01:33 PM

its not even the cost of installing it, i am adding 600 amp service to my gargage
single phase but they still need a separate transformer forcthat much. load they install it for free
but you need a city permit for the tansformer and that can be denied or take months to aprove
I had them go ahead with the permit request a d they chaarged me $300 for the permit said it it was approved
 there would be no further charges

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
gwestcot (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 04:58:06 PM

its not even the cost of installing it, i am adding 600 amp service to my gargage
single phase but they still need a separate transformer forcthat much. load they install it for free
but you need a city permit for the tansformer and that can be denied or take months to aprove
I had them go ahead with the permit request a d they chaarged me $300 for the permit said it it was approved
 there would be no further charges

Well that is for a home installation so the process is likely different than in a commercial location. But trust me the install is far more expensive the further from a line it is or depending on if you want it above ground or below ground. That being said, I am not doing this until the end of the year so I can see my tax liabilities before building out a space. I need 480V 3 phase because of the CRAC unit and the 4 fan condenser. A lot of people forgo this altogether and use ambient air to cool their place but I would prefer a dedicated cooling source. I think I am starting out with 30 nvidia rigs but it all depends on how much the landscape changes and how much money I have at the end of the year for startup.
btcgolong

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 08:58:40 PM

I am presently not concerned at all about the long term viability because profitability could go down 2 to 3 times and it would still be fine. I have seen warehouse space in my local area that has a 1 year lease so that is not a problem as well. The main issue with being locked into a long term lease is that you may outgrow your space and need to move but are unable to do so. The main thing is getting the utility company to install the proper transformer and line to supply 480V 3 phase. I will say that from my research it is a lot cheaper if there is a pole that is within 80 feet of your warehouse.

Got a question, why so much AC, are you in an extremely hot climate (Texas)? The Liebert cooling system looks awesome, I guess it can get pretty hot in 1250 sq ft (with 120 cards going), does your warehouse have high ceilings?

The few warehouse's I've rented had 20-30 ft ceiling, but it still got pretty damn hot (no central air or heat) in summer...

gwestcot (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 11:26:21 PM

I live in Florida so yes it is extremely hot. The warehouses I have looked at have 20 ft ceilings. I might actually be able to pull off 30 GTX 1070 rigs with 6 GPU's per rig because of the increased profitability of my current mining at home. I mainly want to buy liebert CRAC units for sustainability and I have noticed an increased hash rate when I have dedicated air conditioning in my home. I have 30 GPU's and with another rig about to be built this would make 36 GPU's in a spare bedroom at my house. I bought a 14400 BTU space air conditioner and also closed many of the vents around my house to concentrate the home air conditioner to only the living room, master bedroom, and my mining room. I have noticed by doing this that my card temps are in the 40's and 50's and I get 5-10% more hashrate than before. (50's are open air rigs and the 40's are my rack mountable ones) To me dedicated air conditioning is worth it as it only, after more careful study, adds anywhere from 15-25% of the electricity consumption. The only thing I am contemplating is putting in raised flooring and going with a downflow unit or forgoing the raised flooring and going with an upflow unit. One provides better cooling efficiency and the other is vastly cheaper as far as startup. Raised flooring for the space I am looking at would easily cost around 15k. I will tell you that I can actually run a maximum of 300 or so rigs in that space as long as I can get a transformer and a new service line to provide enough amperage at 480V 3 phase. I will need 4 of those 30 ton Liebert CRAC units to reach maximum capacity. I worked it out in AutoCAD and there is of course room to spare for the PDU's as well.  
CjMapope
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1092

~Full-Time Minter since 2016~

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2017, 11:40:36 PM

Your crazy imo haha

1070's ? dude your like a YEAR too late to build a farm with those lol, you are gonna be lucky to ROI probably before they start bring in like 1$ a day each Sad

Plus all that wasted space, did you not consider DENSITY LONG TERM?  

New mining specific cards are coming out that are gonna DUST your whole farm if you have 1070's, did you consider THAT?

Im just getting RID of my old 1070 for POWERFUL cards, 1080, 1080ti, and stacking my coins for the new mining specific card + volta and vega

Like you literally picked the worse time to choose 1070, o and in 2 months or less they will be 1/2 price Cheesy

~Got this girl in my bed, a roof over my head, i mint a couple coins a week, and thats how i make bread~
~On the 12th day of Hatzvah, OGminer said to me: "compute root of the merkle hash tree!"~
Prohashing  -- Simply the best Multipool!
btcgolong

View Profile
June 12, 2017, 01:13:46 AM

Your crazy imo haha

1070's ? dude your like a YEAR too late to build a farm with those lol, you are gonna be lucky to ROI probably before they start bring in like 1$ a day each Sad

New mining specific cards are coming out that are gonna DUST your whole farm if you have 1070's, did you consider THAT?

Im just getting RID of my old 1070 for POWERFUL cards, 1080, 1080ti, and stacking my coins for the new mining specific card + volta and vega

Like you literally picked the worse time to choose 1070, o and in 2 months or less they will be 1/2 price Cheesy

I've read about those cards, one article said they will not be available at the consumer level...isn't that rigging the game?

Another thing to think about is ETH switching to POS someday (this year?)

So you are saying he should go with 1080ti?  It's performance/watts vs price (and availability). I few sites (could be wrong) say the 1080 is only 18-20% faster...does that sound right?

CjMapope
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1092

~Full-Time Minter since 2016~

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2017, 01:35:09 AM

Your crazy imo haha

I've read about those cards, one article said they will not be available at the consumer level...isn't that rigging the game?

So you are saying he should go with 1080ti?  It's performance/watts vs price (and availability). I few sites (could be wrong) say the 1080 is only 18-20% faster...does that sound right?

Well there's ALWAYS something to mine, it's just WHEN ETH goes PoS (who knows when but COULD be 6 months from now) there's gonna be literally 1,000,000 hungry GPUs needing shit to mine, so those with 1070 (and 470/480) are gonna get SLAYED in profitability imo
IF we can GET tho miner cards, well thats to be seen, yes Smiley

There is hope tho!  New coins all the time and Nvidia can handle ANY algo like a champ unlike AMD, but to build a farm on that hope of new coins is SCARY to say the least.
Also, 1070 is at the  "end of its price point", it WILL go down soon 30 days even

1080 at 20% more powerful, and only 10-15% more price? seems logical to me! think RESALE as well
1080ti will NOT win in price for performance, but in 2 years it will still be profitable AND still resell well (if you get the good brands/models)
PLUS, ROI extends pretty fast when you have to buy WHOLE NEW RIGS every 5 cards just to keep up with 1080ti buyers :/
DENSITY

only my 2 satoshi's of course Cheesy  i own 1070's as well

~Got this girl in my bed, a roof over my head, i mint a couple coins a week, and thats how i make bread~
~On the 12th day of Hatzvah, OGminer said to me: "compute root of the merkle hash tree!"~
Prohashing  -- Simply the best Multipool!
btcgolong

View Profile
June 12, 2017, 01:45:21 AM

Not to hijack this thread, but this is sort of relevant, when did Nvidia beat AMD for mining (power and flexibility)?

So long term (counting out the mining only cards that are coming), you are recommending the 1080ti for most (all?) PoW altcoins, correct?

Im in the process of building a rig as we speak.
cashen

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 12, 2017, 01:51:13 AM

Great video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-_9F8R_PFU

Does anyone know what remote desktop he is using?
btcgolong

View Profile
June 12, 2017, 05:13:22 AM

Someone asked in the comments, it's: Remote Desktop Manager

https://remotedesktopmanager.com/
gwestcot (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2017, 01:09:51 PM
Last edit: June 12, 2017, 01:21:29 PM by gwestcot

Your crazy imo haha

This is ridiculous in regards to them bringing in 1 dollar a day each when a rig of 6 1070's is bringing in 50 dollars a day or so right now. I like the 1080TI's as well and I was contemplating going with 2 1080TI's and 4 1070's per rig but as of now I am not planning for that. These cards ROI in 75 days right now so even if in 6 months these mythical cards come out and come out at a good price point I probably won't care that much. I really don't like the idea of mining specific cards for their lack of resale value... How is that any different than an ASIC? Once the new tech comes out those cards would become worthless. If anything 1070's will still hold some resale value as time goes on. I guess I like building rigs with one PSU and 6 GPU's but the 1080TI requires an 8 pin and a 6 pin so that makes things difficult. At any rate, I think that Nvidia, depending on your needs, can be much better than the AMD cards and they are also a lot less hassle in the long run.  

EDIT: We will also see about ETH going POS but as far as I know there isn't anything formal in the timeline of things to be done but I do know that it is in in the timeline for ETC for 2018. At any rate, 1070's are far better than any AMD card in almost every algo with an exception to Ethash. In reality, even if it takes a step towards POS it will likely be POSW so that it is a gradual process.
Madychoux

Activity: 212

View Profile
June 12, 2017, 01:44:14 PM

Your crazy imo haha

So you are saying he should go with 1080ti?  It's performance/watts vs price (and availability). I few sites (could be wrong) say the 1080 is only 18-20% faster...does that sound right?

Well there's ALWAYS something to mine, it's just WHEN ETH goes PoS (who knows when but COULD be 6 months from now) there's gonna be literally 1,000,000 hungry GPUs needing shit to mine, so those with 1070 (and 470/480) are gonna get SLAYED in profitability imo
IF we can GET tho miner cards, well thats to be seen, yes Smiley

There is hope tho!  New coins all the time and Nvidia can handle ANY algo like a champ unlike AMD, but to build a farm on that hope of new coins is SCARY to say the least.
Also, 1070 is at the  "end of its price point", it WILL go down soon 30 days even

1080 at 20% more powerful, and only 10-15% more price? seems logical to me! think RESALE as well
1080ti will NOT win in price for performance, but in 2 years it will still be profitable AND still resell well (if you get the good brands/models)
PLUS, ROI extends pretty fast when you have to buy WHOLE NEW RIGS every 5 cards just to keep up with 1080ti buyers :/
DENSITY

only my 2 satoshi's of course Cheesy  i own 1070's as well

Totally agree, we should wait for new gens GC and dedicated Mining GC...
Elektrum_Brad

Activity: 7

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2018, 12:32:59 PM

Did you ever get your farm up and running?  If you're still monitoring this thread, I can help you with some of your power distribution concerns.  We just went through something similar (warehouse space, new service, etc.) with our Test Farm and could give you some advice.

Brad
dutchlincoln

Activity: 434
Merit: 30

View Profile
June 27, 2018, 03:24:35 PM

I'm starting a farm too in a 1600 sqft warehouse. I'm installing 2x fans roughly 50cm in diameter for exhaust cooling, with the ability to expand to 4 fans. No raised floors because additional exhaust airflow is simpler, faster, cheaper.

For power, the warehouse I rented has 3 phrase 415v 40A wired to 6x 13A 240v wall sockets. The plan is to use the pre-installed circuit to 80% load, and install distribution boards with sockets on them, like these (but larger with more sockets): http://ssses.in/products/atm-db-panels/

This way I can plug the psu directly in standard UK plug PDU, and into the distribution board. Again, simple, fast, cheap. The money saved will be spent on more vega gpus.

40Amps...  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
dhouse

Merit: 2

View Profile
June 27, 2018, 04:55:17 PM

...a rig of 6 1070's is bringing in 50 dollars a day or so right now... These cards ROI in 75 days right now

what are you mining??? please tell me
dhouse

Merit: 2

View Profile
June 27, 2018, 04:56:06 PM

a single 1070 making $8 a day? Ummmm what
gwestcot (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2018, 05:20:02 AM