Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:31:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reverse engineering  (Read 809 times)
PremiumCodeX (OP)

Activity: 1204
Merit: 531

Metaverse 👾 Cyberweapons

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 08:04:55 AM

Do you consider reverse engineering an issue when releasing software in this forum?

What solutions do/would you recommend against it?

If there is a non-open source software in the forum, but the OP does not maintain it anymore, is it right to reverse engineer it and release your own version?

[TUTORIAL] How to steal $350 000?
Best OS for recovering stolen BTCs.
Visit our FREE Bitcointalk thread.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Emoclaw

Activity: 420
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 08:14:54 AM

Do you consider reverse engineering an issue when releasing software in this forum?
Not an issue. Really few people can reverse-engineer and many fewer to a level that can cause problems. As long as the software isn't of such popularity to attract warez groups (why would it be), there are no problems.

Obfuscation is the only solution, and it works.

If there is a non-open source software in the forum, but the OP does not maintain it anymore, is it right to reverse engineer it and release your own version?
Maybe (if it's not copyright-protected), but it's impossible. Reverse engineering is very difficult. You'll have tons of trouble cracking a program, let alone rebuilding its source. But if you could do that (which is impossible as I said) you probably have the means to create better software yourself.
PremiumCodeX (OP)

Metaverse 👾 Cyberweapons

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 09:29:18 AM

Maybe (if it's not copyright-protected), but it's impossible. Reverse engineering is very difficult. You'll have tons of trouble cracking a program, let alone rebuilding its source. But if you could do that (which is impossible as I said) you probably have the means to create better software yourself.

Thank you for the answer! Yes, I learned a bit of reengineering and reverse engineering (reflection, disassemblers, hexadumps....) (:

Additional questions are:
Is it better to start off from an open-source project or to work from basics?
What is the protection against if someone cracks your product and releases it as open-source or sells as his own?

Emoclaw

Activity: 420
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 09:37:12 AM

Thank you for the answer! Yes, I learned a bit of reengineering and reverse engineering (reflection, disassemblers, hexadumps....) (:

What is the protection against if someone cracks your product and releases it as open-source or sells as his own?
You need to start from the basics. Maybe start with any simple program and change some text.

By crack I meant bypass the licensing system so as to distribute it for free. You CAN'T reverse-engineer a program to obtain its source code in any way. Therefore, you can't release it as open-source or rebuild and sell it as your own, it is simply not possible.
mynameisdon

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

i am don(ripper's big daddy).i clean scammers.

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 09:41:00 AM

I have no direct opinion on this but if the OP stop to maintain it, you should try to contact him at least a few times to ask his permission to reverse engineering it.

And the other question is did you pay for it or was it free, if you paid for it op should maintain it else it just a bad dev, but if you can't reach him just release it.

cloverme
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1054

SpacePirate.io

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2017, 02:13:55 PM

I don't really no, but I've seen others who don't want to share code or ideas over theft. I don't think everything has to be open source for it to be considered okay, there's plenty of commercial software out there that's closed source.

There are tools out there that do obfuscation that offers some limited protection from the casual reverse engineer person. Ideally, the challenge to reveal the true code is more work that just coding it on your own.

There's plenty of abandonware and abandoned coins that people have taken over or adopted. I would just make my own and add features that I feel others would want or need to make a better solution and differentiate it.
nemgun

Activity: 882
Merit: 533

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2017, 10:25:25 AM

Everything is a question of lisence. You can release your project as closed source or open source, you just need to justify the lisence applied.
Github doesn't hold only MIT projects.

Reverse engeneering is really hard to perform and it all depends on the language you use, i know that once you have compiled a C++ project (or nay other C) it is almost impossible to reverce it. If you don't strip the debuging tags, one can reverse it using a tool like clang.

For the other languages, it all depends on how you release, code, protect your project. You can apply for some tools who provide lisencing distribution model, like you release a trial version of your software, and thne people buy lisence to use it fully and so one ...

PremiumCodeX (OP)

Metaverse 👾 Cyberweapons

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 01:11:21 PM

Therefore, you can't release it as open-source or rebuild and sell it as your own, it is simply not possible.

It may be very difficult at languages such as C or C++. When you have a .NET project (for example a C# solution), it becomes a more realistic question. Look up .NET reflection. And I prefer to code at high level.

Everything is a question of lisence. You can release your project as closed source or open source, you just need to justify the lisence applied.
Github doesn't hold only MIT projects.

There's plenty of abandonware and abandoned coins that people have taken over or adopted. I would just make my own and add features that I feel others would want or need to make a better solution and differentiate it.

That is an exciting idea. To pick up a closed-source, but abandoned project. Difficult, probably, but very exciting. Choosing the right one could save you work as well as revive good idea from the past. And cause happiness to its old community too.

Coding Enthusiast
Legendary

Activity: 1039
Merit: 2783

Bitcoin and C♯ Enthusiast

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2017, 03:46:57 PM

Open Source Everything under MIT License Tongue

Projects List+Suggestion box
Donate: 1Q9s or bc1q
|
|
|
FinderOuter(0.19.1)Ann-git
Denovo(0.7.0)Ann-git
Bitcoin.Net(0.26.0)Ann-git
|
|
|
BitcoinTransactionTool(0.11.0)Ann-git
WatchOnlyBitcoinWallet(3.2.1)Ann-git
SharpPusher(0.12.0)Ann-git
PremiumCodeX (OP)

Metaverse 👾 Cyberweapons

View Profile
May 14, 2017, 10:45:43 AM

Open Source Everything under MIT License Tongue

I would be glad if more people could benefit from the product. However, what I am doing now is a degree project and as that I cannot publicate it until degree, which is one more year.

But I want to do some good tool as a degree project, a tool that is useful in crypto.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: