Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:11:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: mining hardware in a rented rack in a datacenter ?  (Read 2205 times)
MatCoins (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 10, 2017, 05:27:26 AM

Hello,
I'm planning to buy some mining hardware from Bitmain to install it in a rented rack in a datacenter.

Anyone has done this ? Usually the datacenter companies accept a mining set up ? Or I shouldn't tell them ?

I know it varies from one datacenter to another, but anyone who can share his experience will be helpfull.

Thanks,
Mat
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NiHaoMike

Activity: 236
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2017, 05:57:27 AM

What rates are they charging? Most likely in a datacenter you'll pay a lot for bandwidth, which Bitcoin doesn't need very much of.
Datacenters are generally very noisy places to begin with so the extra noise would likely be the least problematic.

I use cryptocurrency and solar power to help my best friend Naomi Wu... And I'm proud of it!
unholycactus
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1023

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2017, 12:18:38 AM

There's an extremely high chance it won't be profitable.
Whatever they will charge you for power or just renting the space will be way too high.
vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 15, 2017, 12:42:25 PM

depends how many you plan on trying to fit in the data center, you should really tell them so they can set everything up for you needs, youd probably save alot on bandwidth as miners dont use anywhere near as much as a server. BUT youd be putting extra stress on there systems, E.G cooling, and more importantly power supply. if its a good data center you might be able to request that they bypass the back up supplys (might charge a fee to set this up but will save money in the long run) a data center is set up to have backups if the main power fails, if you ask nicely they might take you off the backup system so you just use the main power (saving the datacenter time and money on redundancy) last thing is the cooling youd be putting extra stress on it BUT if its a data center than accepts GPU's in servers they will be more than capable of dealing with the extra heat as size wise miners are on par with GPU's.

things to consider is the power and how much to rent the space, youd have to work all that out and see if you can still turn a nice profit. 1 bitmain S9 would put out around the same as 4 GPU's in heat (rough figures)

MyRig
Donator

Activity: 792
Merit: 510

support@myrig.com

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2017, 10:03:18 PM

traditional data center, please check with them first!  power consumption available per rack may able to handle only a few units.

If you need Mining Hardware hosting, we offer fully managed hosting service for Antminer and GPU

Antminer wise, while your ants are being hosted, repair can be free or heavily discounted and no need to ship out units for repair.  for brand new units, first 180 day factory warranty be honored on site via our support team

Hello,
I'm planning to buy some mining hardware from Bitmain to install it in a rented rack in a datacenter.

Anyone has done this ? Usually the datacenter companies accept a mining set up ? Or I shouldn't tell them ?

I know it varies from one datacenter to another, but anyone who can share his experience will be helpfull.

Thanks,
Mat

Antminer & DragonMint Repair  E-mail: support@myrig.com   T: @MyRig_com
Return Address: MyRig 3700 Quebec Street, Unit 100-239, Denver, Colorado 80207, USA
Dr Charles
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2017, 10:05:32 PM

Yea I got a couple quotes on units when the SP30's were first being released and several data centers had a hard time accommodating the power consumption and heat output for the rack size so in turn they charged extremely high fees. Find someone who specialized in mining equipment if you go down the co-locating road.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: