Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 07:56:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: I would be interested in buying this frame
Bare, in a kit (less than $150) - 32 (29.9%)
Bare, assembled ($150) - 4 (3.7%)
Complete (with MB and PSU trays), in a kit ($175-$190) - 40 (37.4%)
Complete (with MB and PSU trays), Assembled (more than $190...) - 31 (29%)
Total Voters: 107

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Custom frame for BTC/LTC mining (Up to 24 GPU ) $150 - $190 - $200+  (Read 22617 times)
matt_trade (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 08:02:43 PM
Last edit: May 02, 2013, 02:37:25 PM by matt_trade

Good morning everybody,

I'm getting ready to order my new LTC mining set up. But I'd like to put together a clean long lasting build that will keep my equipment safe and working at optimum capacity.
I want to reach the maximum GPU mining efficiency by providing optimum cooling and opting for the larget GPU/(MB+CPU+other) ratio for the highest Hash/W.

I designed a custom frame that will support the equipment. The advantages are as follow:

Specifications:
- *NEW* Will come with an optional USB Key running a light Debian and Cgminer pre installed for better energy efficiency. It will also allow to monitor the rack remotely. AUTO INSTALL AND AUTO RUN (no computer knowledge needed, 99% Plug & Play)
- 24 GPU : 4 x 6 GPU on 4 ATX motherboard
- Compatible 4 ATX PSU up to 12" long
- Footprint (rack compatible): 24" (long) x 19" (wide) x 12" (high), compatible with 20" (box fan) and 24" fans.
- Compatible with GPU up to 12" long (PCB) without adding feet. "unlimited length" with feet.
- Cooling mounted on top or bottom or both
- Natural convection for added cooling.
- Graphic cards that exhaust heat from the top of the card will send the hot air outside the case in this set up (custom heat-sinks from Sapphire, Gygabite, MSI, etc...).
- Stackable & can be installed on its side.
- Separate airflow for PSU (shielded from GPU heat via acrylic plates)
- GPU on the outside for optimum cooling and better overall performance
- Can be used in a Desktop or Tower format (on its side).
- Heights of the GPU over MB adjustable.
- Adjustable feet available

Price FOB the plant (assembled): $148 (6-9 cases), 10+ $142, 40+ $137.
Shipping on top, don't know how much it will be (the rack is kind of bulky -- 1.6 c.f).

Order will be placed early next week. People who are interested should PM me as soon as possible. The more we order, the cheapest it will be.

Latest Update 4/30/13: the first batch is shipping to me today. It's going freight so I expect it sometime next week.

Latest update 4/29/13: I have found a Linux developer that will put together a light version of Debian that will specifically be developed for this rack. It will allow the entire system to run from a USB key that will come pre programmed with Cgminer, optimized for 6 GPU per motherboard with a very light OS and graphic interface to optimize the Hash/Watt. It will also allow the operator to monitor the rack remotely.

UPDATE 4/26/13: The order is placed! 2 fully assembled, 3 kit. I will keep one fully assembled and one kit, leaving 1 fully assembled and 2 kit for Beta Testers. I will post the shipping date as soon as I know when it will be ready.

Rack compatible version (19"W x 24"L x 12"H) -- Order Version
http://www.awtti.com/images/LTCminingrig9.pnghttp://www.awtti.com/images/LTCminingrig11.png
Showing with 9.1" PSU on 0.25" Acrylic plate (9.73" capacity in this set up, 1.25" more is PSU plate on top). ATX Motherboard on Acrylix tray.

http://www.awtti.com/images/LTCminingrig8.pnghttp://www.awtti.com/images/LTCminingrig10.pnghttp://www.awtti.com/images/LTCminingrig12.png

I will also investigate an Oil Cooling option for people interested in keeping their local cool.

Do you have any suggestions for possible improvements?

Looking forward to your feedback on this little project.
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 08:07:03 PM

Surely that'll need wheels. Must be around 70kg?

grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 08:12:45 PM

you seem to forget that the motherboard needs a huge heatsink on it for the cpu, plus extra space for RAM and northbridge/southbridge heatsinks. Also, I've never seen a atx motheboard that allows you to pack cards in that manner. even with risers it's impossible because there's not enough space for the riser to twist. plus you're packing the cards way too densely. there's no way you're going to get good airflow.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 08:48:18 PM

Ya there's a few things that will most likely need to change:

#1 I LOVE the idea of having GPUs mounted vertically. Especially with a blower style stock fan, it's the best way to get the heat not only off of the GPU, but blow it far away from the rig itself. However, you can't do this in a rack-mounted case like you're asking for. You're wanting to vent upwards of 5KW of heat, and blow it right into another computer or server?

#2 Those PSUs can't fit like that. You're assuming the fan is mounted on the top, but most high-end PSUs will have the fan on top. If you put a high end PSU in there, it will suffocate, and likely overheat.

#3 Like other are saying, you need quite a bit more room for the motherboards, riser cables, PSU 6pin cables, etc.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
matt_trade (OP)

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 08:53:47 PM
Last edit: April 29, 2013, 09:17:02 PM by matt_trade

you seem to forget that the motherboard needs a huge heatsink on it for the cpu, plus extra space for RAM and northbridge/southbridge heatsinks. Also, I've never seen a atx motheboard that allows you to pack cards in that manner. even with risers it's impossible because there's not enough space for the riser to twist. plus you're packing the cards way too densely. there's no way you're going to get good airflow.
You have a good point. It is hard to see the details in this picture.

There is about 1.5" in between the motherboard and the graphic cards connectors. This is the section that will be over the CPU, which means that I will probably have to use a low profile heatsink+fan or just a low profile heatsink (passive cooling might be sufficient). http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835114094
http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/35-114-094-TS?$S300W$
Where the DDR3 is located (and chipset, now often on the back of the MB), there is a 2" space between the MB and the video card. A memory stick with a large heatspreader is about 2" high, so it would not fit. However, a memory stick without heatspreader (which would be fine for this application) is only 1.2" high and would fit just fine.

Now for the air cooling. The theory is that air cooling efficiency is somewhat proportional to airflux/volume. Generally, people cool down their 3-4 card set up with 2-3 case fans that each move between 80-120 SCFM at best. A typical case is about 1.3 cubic foot. That about 230 SCFM per cubic foot.

This rack is 1.6 cubic foot. A 24" fan will move as much as 4000 SCFM at full speed (about the equivalent of 40 x 120mm high quality case fans). This is about 2500 SCFM per cubic foot of space, or 10 times what you have in a standard setup. (that does not take into account the natural convection occurring from the orientation of the GPU in the rack).

I feel pretty confident that the combination of a high airflow + natural convection will keep the setup running well.

Additionally, one option is to use oil cooling for this set up. To be tested as soon as we have worked out all the issues with the air cooling set up ;-)
matt_trade (OP)

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 09:03:05 PM
Last edit: April 29, 2013, 09:15:52 PM by matt_trade

Ya there's a few things that will most likely need to change:

#1 I LOVE the idea of having GPUs mounted vertically. Especially with a blower style stock fan, it's the best way to get the heat not only off of the GPU, but blow it far away from the rig itself. However, you can't do this in a rack-mounted case like you're asking for. You're wanting to vent upwards of 5KW of heat, and blow it right into another computer or server?

#2 Those PSUs can't fit like that. You're assuming the fan is mounted on the top, but most high-end PSUs will have the fan on top. If you put a high end PSU in there, it will suffocate, and likely overheat.

#3 Like other are saying, you need quite a bit more room for the motherboards, riser cables, PSU 6pin cables, etc.

#1 Not necessarily. You will have to place a shroud to separate each stage. In a server space environment where lots of cards are staked vertically, you would want to vent it to the back of the rack and then up. I would have to do a schematic to explain. I have seen it done this way inside of military grade equipment used for UAV control.
http://www.awtti.com/images/LTCminingrig10.png

#2. The PSU will get their own "air flow". It's hard to see but they are mounted in "tunnel" and isolated from the GPU/MB by an acrylic tray. There is a 0.65" spacing in between the tray and the power supply to let the air flow since, as you say, all high end PSU are fed from the top.
http://www.lepatek.eu/fileadmin/produkte/netzteile/g-serie/g1600_04.jpg

#3. The only challenge will be to manage the riser cables. The PSU 6 pins cable will run on the bottom of the frame (enough space for that).
Keep in mind that this picture is somewhat of a Worst Case Scenario: 9" long Power Suppliers, 12" long video cards!!! That currently does not really exist and would not be done for this set up but I wanted to have a design that would include all possibilities.
matt_trade (OP)

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 09:06:04 PM

Surely that'll need wheels. Must be around 70kg?
YES, it will be very heavy. Wheel or set in place on rubber feet.
To put it in an oil bath, I was planning to use an engine lifter.
http://www.asedeals.com/images/44020-Omega-engine-hoist.jpg
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 09:30:46 PM

Is it possible for you to post schematics of your design? It's impossible to judge distances with a 681 × 569 3d render.

There is about 1.5" in between the motherboard and the graphic cards connectors. This is the section that will be over the CPU, which means that I will probably have to use a low profile heatsink+fan or just a low profile heatsink (passive cooling might be sufficient). http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835114094
that heatsink alone costs $30. you're better off making your frame a bit bigger to accommodate the OEM heatsink.

Also, I have no idea how your fan design is going to work. you have to realize that the fan doesn't magically pull air up. there's going to be turbulance and dead spots when you're mounting your fan that close.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
vonross2012

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 10:05:05 PM

where do you get the framing?
matt_trade (OP)

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 10:19:25 PM

Is it possible for you to post schematics of your design? It's impossible to judge distances with a 681 × 569 3d render.

that heatsink alone costs $30. you're better off making your frame a bit bigger to accommodate the OEM heatsink.

Also, I have no idea how your fan design is going to work. you have to realize that the fan doesn't magically pull air up. there's going to be turbulance and dead spots when you're mounting your fan that close.

Hi Grue,

Right now, the solution is to use some overkill fan/airflow (and to adjust it as needed). The fan will not sit "that" close in the sense that the enclosure will give it a minimum of 2"-3" space with the frame.
If you have used a 24" fan before, you know that it pushed a LOT of air. So there might be some dead spaces, but overall, it will be ventilated. Plus you'll get some help from the natural convection. Because as long as the fan from the video cards can pull some fresh air, you will be fine.
With 2000-4000 SCFM depending on the fan, we need to dissipate about 24,000 BTU. I know that might not mean much but here is some comparison. A gas furnace heater that has a capacity of 46,000 BTU has an upflow of 1200 SCFM. So to simplify heat, they dissipate 46,000 BTU using 1200 SCFM. Granted that the dissipation might be a bit better than the rack, we still have enough air to dissipate all the heat.
(http://www.younits.com/46000-furnace-stage-multi-speed-multi-position-upflow-1200cfm-p-3219.html)
The frame was originally 1" bigger, and we could have made it 2" bigger. But some people requested you could fit it in a rack. So there is a limitation in width of 19".
Finally, you need to remember that this rack will hold $12000 of equipment, so the cost of the $30 heatsink is not really critical.

I posted another image that shows the configuration of the rack a bit better.
matt_trade (OP)

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 10:22:52 PM

where do you get the framing?

The framing is made of aluminum profiles, so any company that makes it: 80/20, Misumi, etc...
Right now, the entire assembly is purchase from a manufacturer in the US.
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 01:04:17 AM

It is an interesting design for a high density setup.  Let me mull it over some more and I will get back to you with some thoughts.

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
matt_trade (OP)

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 02:21:22 AM

It is an interesting design for a high density setup.  Let me mull it over some more and I will get back to you with some thoughts.

I look forward to your feedback.

Latest update 4/29/13: I have found a Linux developer that will put together a light version of Debian that will specifically be developed for this rack. It will allow the entire system to run from a USB key that will come pre programmed with Cgminer, optimized for 6 GPU per motherboard with a very light OS and graphic interface to optimize the Hash/Watt. It will also allow the operator to monitor the rack remotely.  AUTO INSTALL and AUTO RUN (no computer knowledge needed, 99% Plug & Play).
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 02:51:16 AM

Good morning everybody,

I'm getting ready to order my new LTC mining set up. But I'd like to put together a clean long lasting build that will keep my equipment safe and working at optimum capacity.
I want to reach the maximum GPU mining efficiency by providing optimum cooling and opting for the larget GPU/(MB+CPU+other) ratio for the highest Hash/W......
Do you have any suggestions for possible improvements?

Looking forward to your feedback on this little project.
I think if you removed every other card in the GPU arrays, cooling would be possible.  An attempt to direct air flow into this packed double array would require a shroud around the entire thing.

The distance between the GPU cards is insufficient for good airflow, air is required to make a 90 degree turn from the card's fan to exit the rack. 90 degree turn is difficult for any air mass, but for distances of 1/16 to 1/4 inch, laminar flow generates additional frictional losses.

Maybe this is a bit technical, but the sum is put them further apart...
wildbud

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 02:55:10 AM

I look forward to your feedback.

Latest update 4/29/13: I have found a Linux developer that will put together a light version of Debian that will specifically be developed for this rack. It will allow the entire system to run from a USB key that will come pre programmed with Cgminer, optimized for 6 GPU per motherboard with a very light OS and graphic interface to optimize the Hash/Watt. It will also allow the operator to monitor the rack remotely.  AUTO INSTALL and AUTO RUN (no computer knowledge needed, 99% Plug & Play).

I am interested please keep us updated
vonross2012

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 04:20:40 AM

[/quote]I think if you removed every other card in the GPU arrays, cooling would be possible.  An attempt to direct air flow into this packed double array would require a shroud around the entire thing.

The distance between the GPU cards is insufficient for good airflow, air is required to make a 90 degree turn from the card's fan to exit the rack. 90 degree turn is difficult for any air mass, but for distances of 1/16 to 1/4 inch, laminar flow generates additional frictional losses.

[/quote]

How far apart is optimal?
Bitsaurus

Activity: 873
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 05:34:10 AM

Damnit where were you 2 years ago  Grin
matt_trade (OP)

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 05:38:21 AM
Last edit: April 30, 2013, 05:53:51 AM by matt_trade

I think if you removed every other card in the GPU arrays, cooling would be possible.  An attempt to direct air flow into this packed double array would require a shroud around the entire thing.

We will test with an enclosure around the rack, we do want to try to force the air through it and see what happens.

I have done some air cooling test on SLI/Crossfire setup. I'm not saying it's perfect, but you can keep your cards at reasonable temperature under full loads if you have a fan blowing directly onto them.
Here is a good example of a setup with a 20" fan box and very little spacing (0.06" -- standard): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nDTBN_cPs0
The spacing in between brackets (not cards, it should be slightly more) in the rack is 0.35" or roughly 3/8". It's not a lot, but it is 1/4" more than in standard crossfire/SLI setup (0.06"). I think the fresh air will be able to get in between and reach the GPU fan, which will push it to the top.
I also count on some help from the naturally occurring convection, which will create a chimney pull effect. The FT02 from Silverstone has used this concept and the results are very encouraging. And like I said, this is not new technology, similar arrangements have been used in high end applications, I'm just trying to adapt it for our application.
But I think only testing will show if this approach is accurate or not. Results to be published in about 2 weeks!

If you want to stack the rack in a server rack, you will have to put shrouds on top and bottom of the rack as depicted in one of the picture. The shroud will have to be much larger than 1/4" because they will have to contain the fan(s) to push (/pull). One idea is that we could sandwich the rack in between 2 fans to improve aeration.
matt_trade (OP)

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 05:42:34 AM
Last edit: April 30, 2013, 06:12:06 AM by matt_trade

How far apart is optimal?

Answer: As much as you can!
It's hard to tell without testing. But as mentioned, people with the tight "standard SLI spacing" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nDTBN_cPs0) are able to make it work. So I expect it to work as least as well with 0.25-0.3" additional space in between.
Here is a bitcoin mining setup with 0.06" spacing, small fans the back:
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMk0ZteKoFZO0kqXhSdfCn1uLCdaJKOUc6j8FLFqYoEqmay9l5
if it works there with 3-4 little 120mm fan pushing hardly 400 SCFM in a dense cluster...

And here, with dual GPU board:
http://mining.bitcoin.cz/media/img/miner.jpg

My limitation are:
19" wide: because this is the maximum with the rack and be and still fit in a standard server rack
24" long: because I don't want it any wider so that it fits standard fans (20" and 24").
So I built the rack based on these limitations.
matt_trade (OP)

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 05:48:29 AM

Damnit where were you 2 years ago  Grin

I was designing other stuffs that allowed me to do the design of this frame now  Wink
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: