Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 01:23:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is everyone loving Feathercoin so much?  (Read 12404 times)
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 04:01:47 PM

Again I thing you should be asking the Developers of these coins? Tenbricks and Fairbricks? Never heard of any of them?

That is maybe because the search engine is sensitive to spelling. Mucking up the spelling as much as you did it is maybe not surprising you have not been able to find them.

Fairbrix no longer seems to compile, I am not even sure offhand who made it, someone objected to the Tenebrix plan of making a massive coin-mixer that would need a huge amount of pre-mined coins in order to operate effectively, so quickly hacked out Fairbrix, which they claimed was more fair. (I guess not enabling coin-mixing is more fair than enabling it if the coin mixer is going to need a lot of pre-mined coins to get it off the ground.)

Tenebrix is still running, still low enough in difficulty for CPUs, so for a long long time now has been one of the few sanctuaries for newbies who want to mine but do not have GPUs. If you have a GPU maybe it is good that you have not heard of it, as not everyone who has a GPU is likely to turn out to be as polite as the chap who started mining Tenebrix with a GPU the other day then heard about how it was such a nice sanctuary for CPU miners and stopped using his GPU on it.

(In fact I think today or yesterday or some fairly recent time someone did turn a GPU on it, so maybe the days of it being a sanctuary for CPU miners are coming to an end any day now...)

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
cdog

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 04:14:07 PM

We dont need a Litecoin clone, because Litecoin is already orders of magnitude more secure than Bitcoin from an attack.

http://www.reddit.com/r/litecoin/comments/1cssqr/the_math_why_litecoin_is_more_secure_than_bitcoin/

Its fairly simple math, try running the numbers yourself.

The 3rd big coin behind BTC and LTC wont be some clone - it will be a brand new alt with a lot of fresh ideas. It was proposed by forum member Tacotime and they are currently finishing up the ideas and implementations for the whitepaper and getting ready to start development. Its going to be big. Very big. It also wont be a premined scamcoin like Feathercoin. It will be legit, with an announced, timed release so everyone begins mining at once.

Until then, its BTC and LTC only for me, I can do without some quick alt-coin pump-n-dumps. Just dont want to get caught holding the bag.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagholder

imperi

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 04:18:05 PM

We dont need a Litecoin clone, because Litecoin is already orders of magnitude more secure than Bitcoin from an attack.

http://www.reddit.com/r/litecoin/comments/1cssqr/the_math_why_litecoin_is_more_secure_than_bitcoin/

The 3rd big coin behind BTC and LTC wont be some clone - it will be a brand new alt with a lot of fresh ideas. It was proposed by forum member Tacotime and they are currently finishing up the ideas and implementations for the whitepaper and getting ready to start development. Its going to be big. Very big. It also wont be a premined scamcoin like Feathercoin. It will be legit, with an announced, timed release so everyone begins mining at once.

Until then, its BTC and LTC only for me, I can do without some quick alt-coin pump-n-dumps. Just dont want to get caught holding the bag.

It is only a "clone" for now, but I think the developers will slowly introduce improvements so it is less like a clone.

Also, don't all the major web browsers basically do the same thing? What if there was only internet explorer (bitcoin) and google chrome (litecoin)?
thep33t

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 04:19:07 PM

It is only a "clone" for now, but I think the developers will slowly introduce improvements so it is less like a clone.

Also, don't all the major web browsers basically do the same thing? What if there was only internet explorer (bitcoin) and google chrome (litecoin)?

bitcoin would be useless Wink

Feathercoin Pool - http://feathercoin.is-a-geek.com - [PPLNS][0% Fees]
FTC: 6sf5CgurY5axcd2cwDHmiwdVMdAF9fw6pU       BTC: 1J74TaaKuNMoy25TP5vXKG2Jw8yg1sqyyQ       BTE: 8QZ2XiantPF8eWmzayo5WaXyYC8unBq5ZC     LTC: LatpwWc4GQyF2teKegZHiDGEGdNEKqEPTT
imperi

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 04:20:05 PM

bitcoin would be useless Wink

Well Internet Explorer is better than a paper book (USD or Euro).
Tobius

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 04:26:15 PM

Which is what I really question, Why do we need

Who is this 'we' I hear so many people talk about? I hear people say Feathercoin is bubble, I would argue that this messageboard is a bubble. Joe Sixpack is not part of any 'we' argument.  Many of you will never visit our forums and see the projects that are being developed. You want it to fail and that's fine. Maybe there's more than the 'I'm the authority of crypto' bubble that forms in communities such as this.

Do what you want, that's the point. Please don't include me in your 'we' statements, I have my own path.  Anyway, if you decide to give Feathercoin a second look and feel like working toward something than against, I'm sure the community would love your input and talent.

The Market, and the people using it. While I see your point, I'm a part of this market, and I'm free to say "I don't think we (the market) need this". I'm not saying anything that comes from me is fact, it's my opinion of the market as a whole. I apologize if your offended, but I think your taking opinions a little to seriously

If nothing else, FTC offers the benefits of LTC's quick confirmations and ASIC protection at only a fraction of the mining difficulty level of LTC. It also has tons of interested miners since its almost 300% more profitable right now to mine than btc, and twice as profitable than LTC. This is alot to build on in the first week of its public debut. What more do you want out a coin that is a week old? Of course no retailers accept a brand new coin. Name something specific that a new coin should offer if FTC isnt good enough as it is. I find a lot of potential in it personally.

This mining advantage isn't going to last at all, the difficulty is already where litecoin was a month ago, and is rising fast

Just to say, I'm not saying Feathercoin is dead or dying, I just don't see it becoming as popular or as valuable as LTC or BTC because it's just a clone of Litecoin with some variables changed.
MarKusRomanus
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 04:29:04 PM

so much B***hurt by people concerning FTC ...   Cheesy
Grasp the economy basics, Supply-Demand.
I ll try to help.
How many brands of Credit Cards are there?
How many Stocks are listed in NYSE?
How many coins do you think a 7+ Billion population needs?
FTC is a wild success, and it will not be the last.

Do you know how many altcoins failed by now, and why? Do you really think this FTC madness is something new, not seen by now, and FTC is the next big thing? If so, you
are at least one of the following:

1. Retarded
2. (Wannabe) Manipulator
3. Just a stupid noob making conclusions based on 1 week worth of information, expecting those who actualy know so much more than you to buy the bullshits you're selling.

No one here is actualy butthurt - people trying to wake you up from "the FTC dream" are doing it mostly because they are aware scams like FTC are not good for cryptocoin
scene in the big picture.

What other alt coin has a history similar to Feathercoin?
-hashrate increase in similar timeframe?
-adoption on multiple exchanges in less than a month
-profit 289.41% listing at http://www.coinchoose.com/ in less than a month
-community support that is similar

I'm seriously asking, because I wasn't around for the release of any of the other alt coins.
-
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 04:37:34 PM

What other alt coin has a history similar to Feathercoin?
-hashrate increase in similar timeframe?
-adoption on multiple exchanges in less than a month
-profit 289.41% listing at http://www.coinchoose.com/ in less than a month
-community support that is similar

I'm seriously asking, because I wasn't around for the release of any of the other alt coins.
-

I suspect the crucial part of the history you have described is the rapidly increasing hashrate.

Once the hashrate gets too high to be profitable (as in more profitable than some other coin whose difficulty has meanwhile gone down while miners hopped to this one) we'll see what happens.

There is some luck here too, in that some other coins that got jumped on by miners thus had rapidly increasing hash rate went high enough in difficulty fast enough that the miners hopped elsewhere before exchnges and such were operational, perhaps. Managing to get exchanges running before the miners hop elsehwere might keep the miners mining longer because they can cash in their coin easier.

The crucial point though tends to come when the miners move on. How many months or weeks or days will it take for difficulty to come back down? How many hours or days betwen blocks in the meantime?

Those are the things that caused problems for other coins that got a lot of hashing very fast.

Also I expect to a lot of people what oyu are seeing as success, maybe because you own GPUs, a lot of people are seeing as failure, in the sense that yet again a nice new coin, hopefully therefore a nice new opportunity for grass roots mining by normal people, got stomped on by big miners so that it almost instantly skyrocketed in difficult far out of the reach of normal people. Historically the next step after that has been for the big miners to move on, leacing the coin still far out of reach of small miners, then come back to rape it again when after maybe even weeks or months its difficulty finally manages to adjust back down.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
MarKusRomanus
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 04:43:36 PM

But that doesn't answer my question...
bushstar

Activity: 617
Merit: 531

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 05:01:28 PM

The crucial point though tends to come when the miners move on. How many months or weeks or days will it take for difficulty to come back down? How many hours or days betwen blocks in the meantime?

I will be very interested to see what happens at that point. I cannot imagine that it will be as bad as some others. If you remember Freicoin getting stuck high for three months. Miners kept going for a while before they gave up and left it trickling along on what seemed like only a handful of low performance GPUs.

Feathercoin's blocks are targeted for 2.5 minutes, which is four times faster than Freicoin. There is a large user base of people who do not hop around according to coinchoose and will continue on Feathercoin. No one's patience will last forever but it will not take that long.

I am not expecting us to be held up at a high difficulty for long and look forward to the easier mining on the other side Smiley

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 05:07:35 PM

But that doesn't answer my question...

If I recall correctly the answer I had had in mind to convey was basically yes others had the illusion of taking off wonderfully, but we won't know if its an illusion until we reach the part where the difficulty has taken off too far and the miners hop to the next chain they want to rape and drive to massive difficulty. Ideally there will be enough chains that there will always be one ripe for raping when they reach the point that raping the current one has reached the nadir or apex of the diminishing returns curve.

-MarkM-

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 05:10:28 PM

I am not expecting us to be held up at a high difficulty for long and look forward to the easier mining on the other side Smiley

Except it won't actually be easier, because sites like coinchoose will look at the difficulty and think it is profitable, since they do not know that the instant the difficult changed all the rapists came back for another gangbang.

So miners all over will be told by sites like coinchoose, probably incorrectly, that joining the gangbang will be profitable...

-MarkM-

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 05:20:03 PM

I will be very interested to see what happens at that point. I cannot imagine that it will be as bad as some others.

With FTC it will be the worst ever because, you see, LTC is about to hit the Gox. Once that happens, your pathetic fork will be forgotten. Ohh, cruel destiny!  Grin

Ah but look for the silver lining! Maybe there *will* be an easier other side, as maybe litecoin will be so lucrative the rapists *won't* come back for another gangbang when the difficulty does eventually settle back down!

Maybe this might yet become another haven for CPU miners, like I0coin and GRouPcoin and CoiLedCoin and GeistGeld and Tenebrix and others before it!

-MarkM-

bushstar

Activity: 617
Merit: 531

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 05:24:08 PM

I will be very interested to see what happens at that point. I cannot imagine that it will be as bad as some others.

With FTC it will be the worst ever because, you see, LTC is about to hit the Gox. Once that happens, your pathetic fork will be forgotten. Ohh, cruel destiny!  Grin

That's not what I see happening subSTRATA. There are people like myself who will no longer mine BTC and LTC, they are looking towards another coins.

nodesupply (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 05:26:19 PM

With FTC it will be the worst ever because, you see, LTC is about to hit the Gox. Once that happens, your pathetic fork will be forgotten. Ohh, cruel destiny!  Grin

That's not what I see happening subSTRATA. There are people like myself who will no longer mine BTC and LTC, they are looking towards another coins.

The amount of volume FC moves is puny compared to BTC and LTC, and that trend will continue once LTC is listed on Mt. Gox.
imperi

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 05:27:25 PM

The amount of volume FC moves is puny compared to BTC and LTC, and that trend will continue once LTC is listed on Mt. Gox.

Well FTC* is newer than BTC and LTC. The LTC volume is puny compared to BTC. I fail to see your point.
nodesupply (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 05:35:42 PM

You have a coin which is driven purely by speculation and has no actual services built for it.

It exists in a vacuum of other speculators and miners who all want to get rich and don't want to be the ones left holding the bag  Wink
imperi

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 05:37:35 PM

You have a coin which is driven purely by speculation and has no actual services built for it.

It exists in a vacuum of other speculators and miners who all want to get rich and don't want to be the ones left holding the bag  Wink

It is a currency. Currencies have speculation.

The fact is that Litecoin and Feathercoin both are the most female-friendly coins in terms of their names, and conservative nature.
Noitev

Activity: 812
Merit: 505

The Last NXT Founder

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 05:39:11 PM

Well FTC* is newer than BTC and LTC. The LTC volume is puny compared to BTC. I fail to see your point.

because the hashpower should correlate to the expected volume
Noitev

Activity: 812
Merit: 505

The Last NXT Founder

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 05:40:39 PM

It is a currency. Currencies have speculation.

The fact is that Litecoin and Feathercoin both are the most female-friendly coins in terms of their names, and conservative nature.

female friendly names?? conservative nature?? lol

anyway cant wait when this retargets in 16 hours...
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: