Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 05:18:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where did the stability go?  (Read 1869 times)
opentoe (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 06:51:58 AM

When I first started to use Armory I didn't understand it. I thought it was just another bitcoin client. Then after using it for a few weeks I realized how good of a client it really was and how it out performed any others that were available to use. So I continued to keep using it but it seems to just crash more and more. The stability problems really started bad when I upgraded to the latest version. I have to constantly uninstall it and then re-install it to get it to load properly and sync up with all the transactions. I'm almost use to doing that now I've done it so much. My girlfriend watches me use the program and sees me always uninstalling it and then re-installing it and thinks I'm crazy.

I'm running Windows 8, 64bit. I run Armory of course in administrator mode and have tried pretty much all the compatibility modes there are. The one thing I have yet to really try is to whip up a VM with Windows XP and try that, but I can't see myself doing so much troubleshooting and testing for something that may never get fixed?

If there is something else that anyone needs or wants please let me know. I can pretty much make the program crash on demand by just running it most of the time. Here are a couple of recent crashes from my event log. Does Armory have compatibility issues with Windows 8? Maybe I should try a VM and use Windows 7?

So, if there is anything you want me to try/test please let me know.

Also as of right now I'm unable to create a digital backup of the wallet. When I'm at the save prompt box I can hit the "save" button 100 times and nothing will happen. And usually at that point it will crash also. Right now I do have a paper backup which I have printed out and I have also saved it as a digital file on my computer to kind of mimic my digital backup. Can I just copy my .wallet file? Is that the same thing that the digital backup makes?

Thanks

Here are a couple crashes out of my event log.

Faulting application name: Armory.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x49180193
Faulting module name: MSVCR90.dll, version: 9.0.30729.6871, time stamp: 0x4fee6073
Exception code: 0x40000015
Fault offset: 0x0005beae
Faulting process id: 0x1a28
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce456a0b6e77d2
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Armory\Armory Bitcoin Client\Armory.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.6871_none_50944e7cbcb706e5\MSVCR90.dll
Report Id: bf2105b0-b15d-11e2-be9e-180373e36d96
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Faulting application name: Armory.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x49180193
Faulting module name: QtGui4.dll, version: 4.8.0.0, time stamp: 0x4eed1c5c
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0016f6d0
Faulting process id: 0x1170
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce45634e409969
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Armory\Armory Bitcoin Client\Armory.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Armory\Armory Bitcoin Client\QtGui4.dll
Report Id: 251f35d1-b15c-11e2-be9e-180373e36d96
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Need help with your Newznab usenet indexer? http://www.newznabforums.com
etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 08:31:48 PM

When I first started to use Armory I didn't understand it. I thought it was just another bitcoin client. Then after using it for a few weeks I realized how good of a client it really was and how it out performed any others that were available to use. So I continued to keep using it but it seems to just crash more and more. The stability problems really started bad when I upgraded to the latest version. I have to constantly uninstall it and then re-install it to get it to load properly and sync up with all the transactions. I'm almost use to doing that now I've done it so much. My girlfriend watches me use the program and sees me always uninstalling it and then re-installing it and thinks I'm crazy.

I'm running Windows 8, 64bit. I run Armory of course in administrator mode and have tried pretty much all the compatibility modes there are. The one thing I have yet to really try is to whip up a VM with Windows XP and try that, but I can't see myself doing so much troubleshooting and testing for something that may never get fixed?

If there is something else that anyone needs or wants please let me know. I can pretty much make the program crash on demand by just running it most of the time. Here are a couple of recent crashes from my event log. Does Armory have compatibility issues with Windows 8? Maybe I should try a VM and use Windows 7?

Also as of right now I'm unable to create a digital backup of the wallet. When I'm at the save prompt box I can hit the "save" button 100 times and nothing will happen. And usually at that point it will crash also. Right now I do have a paper backup which I have printed out and I have also saved it as a digital file on my computer to kind of mimic my digital backup. Can I just copy my .wallet file? Is that the same thing that the digital backup makes?

Thanks

Yes, copying the wallet file is same as a digital backup.

Yes, I'm suffering, too.  I have endless people emailing (and posting) about these problems, and I definitely feel the pressure.  This last release has really caused more problems than it fixed.  And I want to fix those problems, but they are going to be obsolete with the next upgrade, so I'm focusing on getting that next upgrade out, even if it means being a little less responsive.  I think a lot of these problems will just magically disappear.

Hang tight! (and send me a log file... I've never seen the digital backup dialog throw an error Sad)

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
opentoe (OP)
Legendary

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 04:02:07 AM

Thanks

Yes, I'm suffering, too.  I have endless people emailing (and posting) about these problems, and I definitely feel the pressure.  This last release has really caused more problems than it fixed.  And I want to fix those problems, but they are going to be obsolete with the next upgrade, so I'm focusing on getting that next upgrade out, even if it means being a little less responsive.  I think a lot of these problems will just magically disappear.

Hang tight! (and send me a log file... I've never seen the digital backup dialog throw an error Sad)

I don't mind waiting and I sure as heck wouldn't want you spending ANY time on something that will be obsolete. I'm still hoping for a BTC to USD right on the Armory program. Instead of me always hitting preev, I can then just look at my Armory window. Log on its way.

opentoe (OP)
Legendary

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 02:46:41 AM

Thanks

After some more suffering and not able to access some bitcoin from a wallet I couldn't access because I couldn't get the program to successfully run properly I ended up using the older version where you need to run the bitcoin daemon sync first then run Armory on top of that. Even though that takes forever when loading it does work and takes me to my wallet. Since accessing my Armory wallet is such a time consuming process I created a completely brand new VM on my Vsphere server just to run the bitcoin daemon and Armory all by itself and just keep them running. So all in all things are at least working again with the older version. I look forward to an updated release later on.

Also, can Armory access the wallet file from multiple locations?

halfawake

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 11:38:42 PM

I'm getting errors like this too and I haven't upgraded yet, so it's not just the new version.  Sounds like there's no point in upgrading then if the new version has problems too.

BTC: 13kJEpqhkW5MnQhWLvum7N5v8LbTAhzeWj
13Charlie

Activity: 218
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 02:00:50 PM

For what it's worth, I'm on a Win 8 x64 machine with 6 GB of RAM running Armory .87 win64
It can be found HERE
I have very little stability issues.
The only issue that I run into is not talking to Bitcoin QT if I leave it running too long.
Since QT catches up to the blockchain pretty quick now, I just open it when I need it. Same for Armory because of the RAM consumption.

No signature necessary
halfawake

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 03:11:30 AM

For what it's worth, I'm on a Win 8 x64 machine with 6 GB of RAM running Armory .87 win64
It can be found HERE
The only issue that I run into is not talking to Bitcoin QT if I leave it running too long.
Since QT catches up to the blockchain pretty quick now, I just open it when I need it. Same for Armory because of the RAM consumption.

I have a similar setup, but with Windows 7 instead of Windows 8 and "only" 5 GB of RAM.  (Bitcoin is almost the only realm in which this amount of RAM isn't enough.)  Also 64 bit, and I'm using version 0.87.2.  Going to try and upgrade my bitcoin qt client and see if that helps since SourceForge notified me that there's a new version out.

13Charlie

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 02:59:19 PM

It can be found HERE

I have a similar setup, but with Windows 7 instead of Windows 8 and "only" 5 GB of RAM.  (Bitcoin is almost the only realm in which this amount of RAM isn't enough.)  Also 64 bit, and I'm using version 0.87.2.  Going to try and upgrade my bitcoin qt client and see if that helps since SourceForge notified me that there's a new version out.

We have another machine in the office here that was running .87.2 on Win7 x64 that kept giving us Runtime Errors

It was fixed with 0.88.1 winx64 as suggested by Alan

No signature necessary
halfawake

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 04:09:38 AM

It can be found HERE

We have another machine in the office here that was running .87.2 on Win7 x64 that kept giving us Runtime Errors

It was fixed with 0.88.1 winx64 as suggested by Alan

Thanks, you're right, upgrading did indeed fix the problem.

13Charlie

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 12:42:46 PM

Thanks, you're right, upgrading did indeed fix the problem.

Glad I could help

No signature necessary
goldlyre

Activity: 1101
Merit: 512

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:29:25 AM

Recently the Armory of newest version can run quite well on my desktop which has an os of Win7 Ultimate 64bit with 8G Ram. The only problem is that it alone always take 3g+ Ram, and I think it's too much as most of pc people using wont have an 8g Ram.   
halfawake

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 08:02:56 AM

Recently the Armory of newest version can run quite well on my desktop which has an os of Win7 Ultimate 64bit with 8G Ram. The only problem is that it alone always take 3g+ Ram, and I think it's too much as most of pc people using wont have an 8g Ram.   

etotheipi is aware of this and is working on making Armory less RAM intensive - it'll probably be the next major release.  The tradeoff is that it'll take up a lot more hard drive space, so there may be a benefit for sticking with the current version if you already have plenty of RAM.

etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 01:29:23 PM

etotheipi is aware of this and is working on making Armory less RAM intensive - it'll probably be the next major release.  The tradeoff is that it'll take up a lot more hard drive space, so there may be a benefit for sticking with the current version if you already have plenty of RAM.

There's issues with the way Armory currently works, and I'm looking forward to leaving those all behind with the next major update.  Instead of "Pick RAM or pick HDD", the first release will use a lot of RAM while I implement the easiest way storing all the data, but the next update should have a semi-pruned version that saves both RAM and HDD space.  Basically, because high-volume-low-access data makes up most of the bulk, and needed so infrequently, I can choose not to store most of it, and retrieve it (inefficiently) when occasionally necessary.  But that's more of an optimization of the current high-HDD-storage design.  I'm going to get that one out first and get it stable before optimizing it.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: