Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 05:26:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Dummy Plugs and 12.8  (Read 3234 times)
mufa23 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 07:44:02 AM

I read someone on this forum that with the 12.8 driver, dummy plugs are no longer needed. Just got two windows machines up and running using the 12.8 driver, but I can't seem to access the extra videocards on the motherboards.

I didn't know if the rumor was false, and that I'd have to go make myself some. Or if it is true, and something else is causing the issue that dummy plugs won't fix.

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 02:27:49 PM

I read someone on this forum that with the 12.8 driver, dummy plugs are no longer needed. Just got two windows machines up and running using the 12.8 driver, but I can't seem to access the extra videocards on the motherboards.

I didn't know if the rumor was false, and that I'd have to go make myself some. Or if it is true, and something else is causing the issue that dummy plugs won't fix.

It's very odd, at one point of time, when I was bitcoin mining, I didn't need dummy plugs, then for some reason, all of a sudden I needed dummy plugs. Can't hurt to try. Only few bucks for the resisters at radio shack. I'm sure you already have the adapters.
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 02:56:51 PM

I haven't needed the dummy plugs since before 12.6 on win7 boxes.  Are you sure you have done a clean install?

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
Oldie

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 05:08:09 PM

I built 3 rigs recently on Windows 7 and the only dummy plug i installed was on the 1st card (I run them without any connections except power/network and use VNC to remote).  All cards after the 1st in each rig did not need a plug.  This is using 13.1 ATI drivers and Win7 64-bit.  Hope that helps.
mufa23 (OP)
Legendary

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 06:05:25 PM

Yeah, I just did a clean install on both rigs yesterday. It seems that the cards are detected by windows, except for the first card. And that's with running the cards in both the 1x and the 16x slots. I guess I'll be stopping by radioshack later today.

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
vonross2012

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 06:06:29 PM

Mine would run without dummy plugs but Afterburner would not detect and let me select it without one.
Window 7 64 and the latest beta drivers for the cards.
Cablez
Legendary

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 06:16:47 PM

Interesting, let us know how you get on mufa.

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
mufa23 (OP)
Legendary

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 06:53:56 PM

It seems that every pc shop and radioshack within 50 miles of me is out of stock. One store did have 78 ohm resistors at 1/8th watt. Does the wattage matter? Would say a ~48 ohm 1/4w or 1/2w work? I'm trying to figure this out.

Thanks

mufa23 (OP)
Legendary

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 06:56:23 PM

Oh, I forgot. One of the radioshacks had some 100 ohm resistors. Would that work?

I really don't know much about this kinda stuff, and don't want to fry my cards lol

TObject

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 07:09:45 PM

Oh, I forgot. One of the radioshacks had some 100 ohm resistors. Would that work?

Yes
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 07:33:20 PM

Yes

Yup, 75-78-100 ohm.
mufa23 (OP)
Legendary

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 04:28:01 AM

I walked in there and was like "Hey, I called earlier about those resistors. Where are they?" "Right over here, sir. How many do you need?" "I... I think I'll just take all of them..." So I bought out all 100ohm and 150ohm from radioshack. Was kinda funny. Smiley Although I feel bad for any local miners looking for some in my area. Those were the only resistors being sold by a store within 30 miles. But yeah, talked to a friend of mine and he said you can run two 150ohm resistors in parallel to make a 75ohm one. I need a bunch, so I bought everything. Going to go give them a try, and will report back in a little while.

mufa23 (OP)
Legendary

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 05:27:37 AM
Last edit: May 01, 2013, 05:53:42 AM by mufa23

Alright, having issues. I made one, and it didn't work. Made another with the resistors going the other way, but that doesn't work either. https://i.imgur.com/UUeymH6.jpg

What am I missing? I can't get windows to detect my other cards. Sad

Update: Plugged all three cards into the machine and gave each of the extra cards the opposing dummy plug. Windows got to the desktop, then started going haywire. Unplugged both dummies, but it wouldn't stop. Rebooted without the plugs, and windows now recognizes all three cards. Not sure what I did...

os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 10:33:55 AM

Alright, having issues. I made one, and it didn't work. Made another with the resistors going the other way, but that doesn't work either. https://i.imgur.com/UUeymH6.jpg

What am I missing? I can't get windows to detect my other cards. Sad

Update: Plugged all three cards into the machine and gave each of the extra cards the opposing dummy plug. Windows got to the desktop, then started going haywire. Unplugged both dummies, but it wouldn't stop. Rebooted without the plugs, and windows now recognizes all three cards. Not sure what I did...

Here's the instructions I used

http://www.overclock.net/t/384733/the-30-second-dummy-plug

That's kind of normal with Windoze, just keep rebooting till it works Smiley Maybe it will keep working?

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
Cablez
Legendary

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 02:21:46 PM

Here's the instructions I used

http://www.overclock.net/t/384733/the-30-second-dummy-plug

That's kind of normal with Windoze, just keep rebooting till it works Smiley Maybe it will keep working?

+1 that is the instructions I have used as well. Worked a treat back then.  Maybe the 100ohm is not enough resistance on the rgb channel. Try doubling up 2 100s and see if it clears up.

mufa23 (OP)
Legendary

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 03:45:13 AM

Try doubling up 2 100s and see if it clears up.
How do I do this? I heard that if you run them one way, it'll be 200ohms. And if you run it the other way, it will be 50ohms. How do I know which way I should have them flipped? They do have different colored lines, but I don't know what they mean.

mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 03:50:58 AM

I don't think you need dummy plugs.. You're doing something wrong..  12.6+ you should be good without them.
mufa23 (OP)
Legendary

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 04:12:12 AM

I don't think you need dummy plugs.. You're doing something wrong..  12.6+ you should be good without them.
As of right now, everything seems to be working fine without dummy plugs. Although I haven't tested the next rig yet.

os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 11:16:53 AM

Try doubling up 2 100s and see if it clears up.
How do I do this? I heard that if you run them one way, it'll be 200ohms. And if you run it the other way, it will be 50ohms. How do I know which way I should have them flipped? They do have different colored lines, but I don't know what they mean.

Connecting two resistors of the same value in parallel halves the resistance.  Connecting two resistors of the same value in series doubles the resistance.

I'm using 68 Ohm resistors so two 100 Ohm in parallel will give you 50 Ohms or two 150 Ohm in parallel will give you 75 Ohm.

I use Catalyst 12.1 and yes if I don't use dummy plugs mining will work, usually.  But strange things happen.  If I use a dummy plug on my 2nd GPU and extend the desktop to it it always stabilizes.  Maybe that is just my system, I don't know.  But I have had the same results with multiple catalyst versions with WinXP and Win7.  So I just use the plug.
Sam

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
Cablez
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 01:26:46 PM

If you are not needing the dummy plugs then that is great. You really shouldn't need them anyway.

As to doubling up the resistors, keep the lines going in the same direction, connect with a drop of soldier (or twist them), then you can use a multimeter to find the correct orientation for the resistance you want.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: