Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:51:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Shopping Online - Now EVERY Store Accepts Bitcoin  (Read 12741 times)
The Madhatter

Activity: 490
Merit: 509

My avatar pic says it all

View Profile
November 26, 2010, 11:11:33 PM
Last edit: November 26, 2010, 11:30:45 PM by The Madhatter

I'll help you out if I can.
I'm not sure if I understand the plan completely.
I buy a $100 prepaid Visa from a shop here...
Then mail it to you?
I'm slightly lost after that.
Be careful you don't violate any MasterCard /Visa TOS, or worse, banking regulations.

Correct. You are sending me a gift.. a giftcard. Smiley Get it? Tongue Mailing a giftcard isn't against the rules.

I'll trade you $100 USD's worth of Bitcoins for it. When I receive it here I'll just buy something from myself (with my virtual terminal) and destroy the card.

Email me and tell me what you want me to do.
bruce@brucewagner.com

Email sent.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
tyler

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 28, 2010, 06:21:33 AM

I'll help you out if I can.
I'm not sure if I understand the plan completely.
I buy a $100 prepaid Visa from a shop here...
Then mail it to you?
I'm slightly lost after that.
Be careful you don't violate any MasterCard /Visa TOS, or worse, banking regulations.

Correct. You are sending me a gift.. a giftcard. Smiley Get it? Tongue Mailing a giftcard isn't against the rules.

I'll trade you $100 USD's worth of Bitcoins for it. When I receive it here I'll just buy something from myself (with my virtual terminal) and destroy the card.

Email me and tell me what you want me to do.
bruce@brucewagner.com

Email sent.

All your cards are out of stock Sad
Bruce Wagner (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
November 28, 2010, 01:29:00 PM

I guess his new service is more popular than he expected.  Smiley
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
November 28, 2010, 01:45:34 PM

I guess his new service is more popular than he expected.  Smiley

A lot of people have just been hoarding bitcoins so far.  And suddenly Madhatter makes it possible for them to spend their bitcoins anywhere on the web.  No wonder his cards are sold quickly.

I think he should raise his prices, or sell his cards with an auction process.

Bruce Wagner (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2010, 01:51:45 PM

- 1 I don't like the idea of him raising his prices. Others will just compete for less anyway. And definitely not an auction.  We need a stable reliable ways to convert Bitcoins to cash/credit card, and vice versa.   The pricing has to be stable and competitive.
grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2010, 02:47:44 PM

- 1 I don't like the idea of him raising his prices. Others will just compete for less anyway. And definitely not an auction.  We need a stable reliable ways to convert Bitcoins to cash/credit card, and vice versa.   The pricing has to be stable and competitive.

I don't know what you mean by "stable", since we're talking about pricing in $.   I know the dollar has not already plunged, but in the long term, we can't hope for any stable BTC/USD rate anyway.  Otherwise, it would deny the whole purpose of bitcoin.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 28, 2010, 04:50:24 PM

No bids yet ...  opening bid on a $100 gift card 300 BTC, about $83 at current market rate:

http://www.biddingpond.com/item.php?id=145

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Bruce Wagner (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2010, 04:59:30 PM

What I mean by "a stable price", is a fixed % fee (in addition to the current exchange rate).  Not an auction.   If I want to buy something online RIGHT NOW, I want to know that I can go buy a visa number for a reasonable fixed price.  Right Now.    Not an auction. 
The Madhatter

View Profile
November 28, 2010, 06:16:00 PM

All your cards are out of stock Sad

I am aware of that, thank you.

I am selling them as fast as I refill them at the moment.
Cryptoman

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 28, 2010, 06:59:19 PM

sgornick, why not sell Visa gift cards on BiddingPond?  Is there a premium?

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
The Madhatter

View Profile
November 28, 2010, 09:59:35 PM

I managed to refill again from some spares I had. I have to wait until the banks are open to add more.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 29, 2010, 06:58:56 AM

Cryptoman,

> Is there a premium?

Here is my "system":

Safeway / Von's has a kiosk for GiftCardMall.com gift cards with the retailers and denominations that I listed on that BiddingPond listing.  

The special offer from Safeway was $15 voucher for the next grocery purchase if you buy $150 of gift cards.  

So, if you already plan to buy groceries at Von's, ... then the gift cards are, in effect, 90 cents on the dollar.

I then purchase using my PayPal debit card (signature method) and get 1.5% rebate from PayPal as well.

So that leaves the cards costing me $0.885 for each $1 face value.

Selling costs are the 2 BTC for the BiddingPond Listing (PayNow listing price), plus the postage (USPS First Class Mail Parcel, w/delivery confirmation ... about $1.60).   Plus the time (and gas) for the short trip to Vons.  So, ... basically breaking even.

My objective was to see if this was a feasible method that provided me a way to exchange USD for BTC without going much over market price.  For that purpose, there is now BiddingGateway.com as an option.  I'll keep the listings up though, to see what level of interest there is for them.

As far as Visa cards specifically -- the $15-off deal specifically excluded some retailers cards, e.g., mobile phone prepaid cards, reloadable cards, and prepaid VISA / MC cards.  So I could do them but I would pay face value (well, less PayPal's 1.5% rebate).  And Madhatter ( http://www.bitcoin2cc.com ) already provides a Visa prepaid solution.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

jorgen
VIP

Activity: 113
Merit: 12

View Profile
November 29, 2010, 04:49:45 PM

Cryptoman,

> Is there a premium?

Here is my "system":

Safeway / Von's has a kiosk for GiftCardMall.com gift cards with the retailers and denominations that I listed on that BiddingPond listing.  

The special offer from Safeway was $15 voucher for the next grocery purchase if you buy $150 of gift cards.  

So, if you already plan to buy groceries at Von's, ... then the gift cards are, in effect, 90 cents on the dollar.

I then purchase using my PayPal debit card (signature method) and get 1.5% rebate from PayPal as well.

So that leaves the cards costing me $0.885 for each $1 face value.

Selling costs are the 2 BTC for the BiddingPond Listing (PayNow listing price), plus the postage (USPS First Class Mail Parcel, w/delivery confirmation ... about $1.60).   Plus the time (and gas) for the short trip to Vons.  So, ... basically breaking even.

My objective was to see if this was a feasible method that provided me a way to exchange USD for BTC without going much over market price.  For that purpose, there is now BiddingGateway.com as an option.  I'll keep the listings up though, to see what level of interest there is for them.

As far as Visa cards specifically -- the $15-off deal specifically excluded some retailers cards, e.g., mobile phone prepaid cards, reloadable cards, and prepaid VISA / MC cards.  So I could do them but I would pay face value (well, less PayPal's 1.5% rebate).  And Madhatter ( http://www.bitcoin2cc.com ) already provides a Visa prepaid solution.

Just place my bid. Check out at biddingpond please. I prefer electronic delivery.
tyler

View Profile
November 29, 2010, 05:33:07 PM

I don't know what you mean by "stable", since we're talking about pricing in $.   I know the dollar has not already plunged, but in the long term, we can't hope for any stable BTC/USD rate anyway.  Otherwise, it would deny the whole purpose of bitcoin.

The amounts are in CAD not USD
Cryptoman

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 29, 2010, 05:40:36 PM

Sgornick, thanks for explaining your system.  Good thinking!  I wish you the best of luck--having more Bitcoin exchange options is definitely a good thing.  

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
Immanuel

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 29, 2010, 07:42:22 PM

Could I theoretically use this prepaid number in physical stores?

"I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."
tyler

View Profile
November 29, 2010, 09:00:12 PM

I don't see why not... a visa is a visa... although they might be suspicious that you're using numbers without a card, even though its not inherently "illegal"
The Madhatter

View Profile
November 30, 2010, 12:30:09 AM

I might be able to get the $100 denominations as physical cards. I could mail them out as lettermail.

Any interest in this service?
grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2010, 12:35:00 AM

I might be able to get the $100 denominations as physical cards. I could mail them out as lettermail.

You're kidding ?  Of course it would be nice.  Although I'm not sure I could use them in Europe.  But that would worth a try.

tyler

View Profile
November 30, 2010, 12:36:37 AM

You're kidding ?  Of course it would be nice.  Although I'm not sure I could use them in Europe.  But that would worth a try.

Don't they have visa in europe?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: