Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 02:24:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: The Young Turks (850,000 subscribers on youtube) responded to me about Bitcoins  (Read 618 times)
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 05:04:29 AM
Last edit: April 30, 2013, 11:57:15 AM by BadBear

Mod Edit: Thread split from here.

I've given up on political demagogues a long time ago. Not getting drawn into this convo. I hope turk can broadcast Bitcoin in a positive light. Good luck
They aren't political demagogues, they're a news organization. They aren't running for any kind of office and do stories on everything from funny animals to natural disasters.

I've followed them long enough to know that they'll be objective enough for this to be a worthy undertaking. If anything, I expect him to be enthusiastic about it because they run lots of stories on how terrible central banks are.

I fear your response will fall on deaf ears. The user 'charleshoskinson' isn't interested in anything other than the video website he's pushing. He basically laid it out numerous times that anyone who isn't a part of his video club will become "obsolete" to Bitcoin's future. I'm sure he feels the same about "The Young Turks" and Youtube.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
charleshoskinson
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 05:19:59 AM

I fear your response will fall on deaf ears. The user 'charleshoskinson' isn't interested in anything other than the video website he's pushing. He basically laid it out numerous times that anyone who isn't a part of his video club will become "obsolete" to Bitcoin's future. I'm sure he feels the same about "The Young Turks" and Youtube.

Are you done with your personal attacks? Some of us are trying to help bitcoin instead of simply criticising a website that has been kind enough to give free bandwidth to the hundreds of people who have watched my lectures.

Udemy is a MOOC like coursera and Udacity. How is that hard to understand?

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 05:21:51 AM

Are you done with your personal attacks?

Are you done publicly claiming that any other educational effort in bitcoin will become obsolete because of your video page?

charleshoskinson
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 05:26:17 AM

First, what the hell is your problem. It isn't "my video page" it is a collaborative educational project with now over ten people working on lectures including bitcoiners from South America who are going to translate the redone core lectures into spanish. If you had taken even five minutes of time to think about it, then you'd understand what I meant when I said obsolete.

The vast majority of people who end up using bitcoin will not go to bitcointalk nor any other popular community resource. They will be doing what we intended them to do all along. Use bitcoin as an online currency. Their only point of contact with our world will likely be my project or its copycats.

That isn't arrogance, it's an understanding of history- particularly of the internet. But you're not interested in thinking Matt. You just want to be a cynic with no feedback or useful input to help resolve Bitcoin's PR problem with the mainstream.

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 05:35:42 AM

First, what the hell is your problem. It isn't "my video page"

"Head of the Bitcoin Education Project"

Okay, it's not yours. You're just the "head" of it.

The vast majority of people who end up using bitcoin will not go to bitcointalk nor any other popular community resource. They will be doing what we intended them to do all along. Use bitcoin as an online currency. Their only point of contact with our world will likely be my project

Wow. Ego much? And wait, now it *is* your project? Didn't you just say it wasn't?

charleshoskinson
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 05:41:38 AM

"Head of the Bitcoin Education Project"

Okay, it's not yours. You're just the "head" of it.

Yes because I'm working for free. Again what are you doing? Wait just being a forum troll. Just let it go man. You lost this one.

Wow. Ego much? And wait, now it *is* your project? Didn't you just say it wasn't?

I answer the questions. I came up with the idea. I recruited lots of people to help. It's as much my project as Microsoft is Bill Gates's company. I appreciate the support and help I have received from the community and I couldn't have done this without them.

It is our project and my hope is that over time all future content will be handled by a diverse group of experts in the Bitcoin community. We just aren't at that stage as most people won't work for free. Unlike me. But you know what I should be incredibly humble to impress a cynical forum troll whom I've never met.

I'm sorry I posted here. I can see why Gavin has become so disenchanted with some of you people.

Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 05:44:36 AM

Yes because I'm working for free.

Who isn't? You think being a tool (e.g. telling everyone that if they don't join your video lecture club that they will be 'left in the dust of progress') is excusable because you're working for free? I co-founded Bitcoin Magazine and worked there for 12 months, never taking a salary, because I have a passion for actual solutions to problems.

When I question your supposed solution, your response so far have been to question me for questioning you, instead of just admitting that you don't know how to say anything without sounding like a tool.

charleshoskinson
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 05:47:18 AM

Who isn't? You think being a tool is excusable because you're working for free? I co-founded Bitcoin Magazine and worked there for 12 months, never taking a salary, because I have a passion for actual solutions to problems. Your responses so far have been to question me for questioning you, instead of just admitting that you don't know how to say anything without sounding like a tool.

I'm glad we have a passion for the bitcoin community in common and thanks again for calling me a tool. If you would at any time like to continue to support the bitcoin community by recording a guest lecture for the Bitcoin Education Project's course, then please PM. We'd love to have your insight.

Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 05:48:25 AM

If you would at any time like to continue to support the bitcoin community by

That's as far as I read. Only a tool would advertise others performing free work for their own personal project as "supporting the bitcoin community".

One day you'll read what you said and realize what my problem with you is. Until then, good luck!

charleshoskinson
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 05:50:10 AM

That's as far as I read. The bitcoin community doesn't rely on your videos, suggesting otherwise is deserving of the handle "tool".

I agree completely Matt and thanks again for calling me a tool. If you change your mind, we'd love to have you support our cause and share your experience and passion with the next generation of bitcoiners.

Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 05:51:54 AM

we'd love to have you support our cause and share your experience and passion with the next generation of bitcoiners.

Suggesting that the "next generation of bitcoiners" can only be shared with through your video page? Maybe you just don't know how to talk without sounding like a tool.

Ares

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 05:54:34 AM

charleshoskinson
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 05:54:59 AM

Suggesting that the "next generation of bitcoiners" can only be shared with through your video page?

Now nearly 500 in just a week. Come back after Summer when we are over 10k with most of the first generation content done. Or at the end of the year. I respect the work you have done with bitcoin magazine and think it is a valuable source of information to our community. You will always be welcome to contribute content at any time Matt. Thanks

Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 05:57:10 AM

You will always be welcome to contribute content at any time Matt. Thanks

That's a much better response!

Come back after Summer when we are over 10k

Aww, so close.  Undecided

charleshoskinson
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 06:13:17 AM

Aww, so close. 

Look, I've been nice and you've just been an ass. I'm sorry if you feel that I'm an arrogant prick. I really wish I could be a humble guy, but I never have been and I never will be, but my commitment to changing monetary policy has been unshakable since 2007 when I worked for Ron Paul.

The single biggest problem facing bitcoin as of today is the image. Four factors cause it:

(1) Lack of Understanding
(2) No way for normal people to relate
(3) Misinformation by the media and other opportunists
(4) Misuse by Criminals

Perhaps you had this experience too, but I had to watch the tea party turn from a legitimate 3rd party movement to end the insanity of America's political system into a Sarah Palin worshiping cabal of social conservatives unhappy with gay marriage. It was heartbreaking and such a waste.

We now stand at a similar crossroads with Bitcoin. At some point, people with a hell of a lot of money and influence will begin to enter this community and move it to whatever end they desire. We didn't think it was possible with the tea party. I don't want to be wrong again with Bitcoin. We have a real chance to change the way money works and teach people they don't have to accept what the central banks are giving them.

I can't do it alone. But that doesn't mean I won't give everything I got to bringing as many people in this community together as possible to correct the 4 PR thorns we have by educating the mainstream about Bitcoin before FINCEN and others find a way to regulate it to oblivion. 

Call me whatever you want, but it won't change how I feel and what I'm trying to do.

Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 11:27:37 AM
Last edit: April 30, 2013, 11:42:24 AM by Matthew N. Wright

..words..

I don't care what you're trying to do, I care that you told everyone on this forum that anything and everything *they* are doing will be ineffective in relation to your own "work". When you stop doing *that*, you'll find that people will be more receiving of your efforts.

Stop trying to defend your little project and start realizing that the way you're talking about your project is *wrong* and will continue to attract the wrong kind of attention. Call me a troll, call the next chap a troll, call the whole world trolls .Whatever it takes to refuse to learn, right?

Edit: Please do not respond to this with another grandiose diatribe on how you're doing the lord's work. As I have always been, I'm referring to the way you present yourself. I couldn't give a rat's ass how you think I present myself, as I'm not trying to pitch something as being the end-all-solution to anything. Get a clue. You could have saved yourself like 20 posts so far.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: