Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 11:17:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: This could be big: US Government considering accepting bitcoin payment  (Read 1710 times)
RoommateAgreement

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

Bazinga!

View Profile
May 21, 2017, 03:09:33 AM

this may be a start though! i wouldn't get my hopes up but i do believe that after what Japanese did and accepted bitcoin as a legal way of payment many countries have become softer towards bitcoin and a couple of them even are considering doing the same. so it wouldn't be such a strange thing if US finally did that someday too.

Call me skeptical but as a rule of thumb it should be safer not to attach your real identity to your Bitcoins or your Bitcoin wallet. It goes against the anonymous or pseudonymous nature of the cryptocurrency. All the beauty and brilliance of the design is gone the moment you surrender your real identity just because the US government requires you to do so.

i agree but at the same time i don't get "why".
because we are already using banks and our identity is attached with each money transaction that we make and this has been the way for years.
now bitcoin is also money, so even if our identity is attached to one of our many bitcoin addresses linked to a small portion of our bitcoin holding, separate from the main stash i don't see any problem with that.

You do not really get it, do you? The United States government could find some things in the blockchain that could put
you in a terrorist watchlist. What if the Bitcoins you hold are a few transactions connected to a wallet that is active in the dark market or a wallet that bought weapons. Not only is this bad for you but also because of public perception on the US government's actions, it could also hurt Bitcoin's fungibility.

no i really don't get it.
because with that logic 90% of the users of coinbase platform should already be on a terrorist watchlist because at some point some transactions linked to some shady activity can be received in their wallets and they spend it.
or worst, buy from from coinbase and spend it somewhere which then it goes to some shady activity!

and the same goes for fiat. the dollar bill you have in your hand could have been involved with some illegal drug cartel so should you really be on a terrorist watchlist because you have a "dirty money" in your pocket?

Buying the dip...
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: