Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 11:01:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Slow Booting time, Bad HDD, Dead SSD?  (Read 331 times)
Ultegra134 (OP)

Activity: 1554
Merit: 744

View Profile
May 18, 2017, 12:39:11 PM

I bought my laptop (Asus N551Jx) as refurbished back on September, it had a 320gb Seagate HDD listed and I also found a Kingston SSD on the Bios but nowhere to be found on Windows.
Can the slow booting time be caused by the slow HDD? Even loading screens in games take quite some time to load, could the SSD cause any issues and slow down the booting time? Is there any chance for the SSD to work, or is it dead since it's nowhere to be found on Windows?
Thanks in advance

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MisO69
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

My mule don't like people laughing

View Profile
May 18, 2017, 01:14:59 PM

I checked the specs and your laptop has only 1 hard drive. Maybe that SSD showing up is because the hard drive is a hybrid drive SSD/HDD. Slow access is usually because of an old hard drive. Over time the motor that moves the read/write heads wears out and the spindle motor also wears.

If the hard drive is close to 5 years old then you can bet this is the problem. Best thing to do is buy a real SSD and just replace it. Maxing out the memory is a good idea as well if you haven't already done so.
Ultegra134 (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2017, 10:43:11 PM

Thanks for the reply, my laptop from the factory comes in a variety of versions. Mine is the one with the i5 4200H, Full HD screen and 500GB HDD and 128gb SSD. The 500Gb was probably taken out (Possibly from the shop I bought it, I don't have a clue) and replaced with an old 320Gb one which has at least 2 or 3 years of use if I am not mistaken according to HD Sentinel. The SSD is still inside the laptop (I will have to remove the full case to have access) connected on a M.2 port, it's only recognized in BIOS.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
ripplehd1

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 18, 2017, 11:56:24 PM

Thanks for the reply, my laptop from the factory comes in a variety of versions. Mine is the one with the i5 4200H, Full HD screen and 500GB HDD and 128gb SSD. The 500Gb was probably taken out (Possibly from the shop I bought it, I don't have a clue) and replaced with an old 320Gb one which has at least 2 or 3 years of use if I am not mistaken according to HD Sentinel. The SSD is still inside the laptop (I will have to remove the full case to have access) connected on a M.2 port, it's only recognized in BIOS.
checked that he didnt put a dusty piece of shit in your laptop
Ultegra134 (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2017, 08:24:21 AM

checked that he didnt put a dusty piece of shit in your laptop
The current Seagate 320gb HDD has 1128 days of use and 8300 start/stop count, quite old + slow HDD, I will look into replacing it with another one sooner or later, not having the funds at the moment.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
mrbitcoin2017

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

:)

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2017, 08:32:30 AM

Old systems.. Reinstall Op?

Ultegra134 (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2017, 08:42:56 AM

Old systems.. Reinstall Op?
Already tried that, didn't affect booting time at all, it's the ASUS screen that stays up for long, loading Bios, my best bet would be to change the HDD to a new, faster one I guess.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
Red John

Activity: 163
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 19, 2017, 09:19:10 AM

What is your boot option, Legacy or UEFI?
Ultegra134 (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2017, 02:55:13 PM

What is your boot option, Legacy or UEFI?
According to System information, my Bios mode is Legacy, that's what you mean right?Not really into the Bios stuff.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x