Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 06:46:49 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ROI question on mining rigs  (Read 7712 times)
natminer (OP)

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 10:58:38 AM

Hi guys,

Very interested in some kind of mining rig set up...  

My first question is, is it possible for a few thousand dollars to build/buy something that can NET you $400-$500/month? Or what is realistic these days for hardware that can give you that kind of profit. My electricity costs is about $0.12/KW/h

I've been going through these forums and others and can use a bit of direction on mining rigs worth considering...

If YOU had to start all over with a mining rig (GPU based), what would you consider in the following categories:

- as a build-it-yourself? Whose set up seems to be the best these days with fairly easy to follow instructions?

- as a pre-built solution? Who are reputable vendors to consider?  I've been looking at parallelminer.com, miningcave.com. eBay seems to also have some sellers who sell full rigs.

Also is there any reason to prefer either NVidia or AMD GPUs or will either work well.

Thanks for any direction or advice you can offer.

JaredKaragen
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165

My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2017, 11:06:35 AM

my friends ~3K investment in gpu rigs nets him currently a little over 1K/mo.

He did wait for people selling cards at a deal.

Typical GPU rigs ROI in 3-6mo.  in today's market, as low as 2 months.  but that can always change drastically.

Link to my batch and script resources here.  

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

Donations: 1Q8HjG8wMa3hgmDFbFHC9cADPLpm1xKHQM
th00ber

Activity: 789
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 11:20:59 AM

Mining is dangerous ... but as far as I know, it's always good !

I started in late 2013 with LTC and BTC rocketing ... I earn money !
Then LTC was saturated, I switch on dogecoin ... I earn money !
Then I switch on Darkcoin (Dash) ... I earn money !
It has been a low profit period (late 2014/ start 2015) before the ETH comes ... but with ETH, profit again !
Then ZEC coin ... I profit again !

The crypto currency market is waving, but every time I got a doubt on the profit, the situation has come back few time after (sometime some months ...).
So right now, I'm still mining with a electricty cost of 0.16$, wich is really high for a european country (france) ... But I still manage to do some nice profit every day.

So ROI, is just a matter  of findind the good coins to mine, and hold it while it's low to sell it higher Smiley
Back in the days I was mining 10 Dash/day or 4 Eth/day. I hold a good part of them (and get robbed a good part ... thanks Cryptsy !)

Investing in rig is not a bad idea as long as you still got "real" things to sell if something gone wrong (Old GPU or PSU can still be sold if you have invested 3k$ in it ... but buying a 3k$ in coins and the price is divided by 4 ... you got only your eyes to cry Wink )

sundownz

Activity: 714
Merit: 512

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2017, 11:38:10 AM

In my experience the investment has been very good... I built my first 12 dual GPU rigs in 2013-2014.

In 2015 I sold off almost all of the GPUs and quit mining -- mainly because the ROI dropped & I was extremely busy.

By that point I had paid off all the rigs and made several thousand dollars so I was pleased.

I still had 12 fully functional computer systems (I used AMD CPUs with onboard graphics so no GPU needed)... many of which I started using around the office at work.

Earlier in 2017 I popped back into the forum, saw the Nicehash program, and started again... only had to buy 24 GPUs and no new systems so ROI is super fast this time around. Since I had already paid off all the "base" systems. Mining on them hasn't interfered with their usage as office PCs either... nobody can really tell other than some fan noise.

It's been fun enough that I have built a few completely new rigs using the funds from mining as well (up to 36 total GPUs mining now across all the systems I'm using).

Long story short... minus a huge crash ROI shouldn't take more than a few months. Buy decent hardware that will last, though, IMHO...

Stuff that has worked for me... Rosewill PSUs -- good reliability & when I have had a failure their warranty service has been stellar. I keep a few spares around so I'm not down if one does fail (watch Newegg they have crazy specials on Rosewill PSUs pretty often). ASRock motherboards (mid-level not the absolute cheapest) -- All 12 of my original rigs use them. I've had one failure in 4 years & on that system I was also CPU mining to experiment -- great price point and I've had amazing results. Use decent quad-core CPUs... I built one for a friend with a dual-core and it's extremely laggy and annoying to use plus better re-sale value on the quad cores.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
Ravec

Activity: 9

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 11:50:28 AM

Hi guys,

Very interested in some kind of mining rig set up...  

My first question is, is it possible for a few thousand dollars to build/buy something that can NET you $400-$500/month? Or what is realistic these days for hardware that can give you that kind of profit. My electricity costs is about $0.12/KW/h

I've been going through these forums and others and can use a bit of direction on mining rigs worth considering...

If YOU had to start all over with a mining rig (GPU based), what would you consider in the following categories:

- as a build-it-yourself? Whose set up seems to be the best these days with fairly easy to follow instructions?

- as a pre-built solution? Who are reputable vendors to consider?  I've been looking at parallelminer.com, miningcave.com. eBay seems to also have some sellers who sell full rigs.

Also is there any reason to prefer either NVidia or AMD GPUs or will either work well.

Thanks for any direction or advice you can offer.

With current market price for ETH, a 6 rig investment will yield you a net profit of $655 per 30 day period, when every gpu is able to push out 30mhash/900mhash dual mining. Your investment for said rig will be anywhere between $1800-2300 depending on where you buy your parts.

pre-built rigs are great if you want to pay $100-500 extra to save yourself a few hours of price comparison/assembling. Nvidia doesn't even come close to AMD when it comes to mining ETH/DCR.
Vaccinus

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 12:45:10 PM

Typical GPU rigs ROI in 3-6mo.  in today's market, as low as 2 months.  but that can always change drastically.

now the profit is less than before, 1 months ago after the boom of cryptocoin, now the diff of every coin is 2x higher, the profit per rig is $500 month, which is still very good, you can roi in 6 months with a rig of 6 x 1070

JaredKaragen
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2017, 01:42:02 PM

With current market price for ETH, a 6 rig investment will yield you a net profit of $655 per 30 day period, when every gpu is able to push out 30mhash/900mhash dual mining. Your investment for said rig will be anywhere between $1800-2300 depending on where you buy your parts.

pre-built rigs are great if you want to pay $100-500 extra to save yourself a few hours of price comparison/assembling. Nvidia doesn't even come close to AMD when it comes to mining ETH/DCR.

I beg to differ on nvidia.

Mining an older algo;  with 5x 1080 and 1x 1070;  over 1K/mo in earnings.  thats not chump change in comparison..  better wattage/hash ratio too.

my equivalent of 3x 1070, earns me over 300/mo presently.

see for yourself:
http://zpool.ca/?address=1PHSDYvVp6HpqtuUPocK41DrdeHbbezaeP

http://zpool.ca/?address=1kLsGT9egk3utSKZH46ydTbKj5oMnmBoN

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

darkshad

Activity: 53

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 02:27:17 PM

So how about the 8 GPU pandas (if one can get a hold of any)?  If you don't want to build rigs yourself and try to standardize on equipment so it is easier to diagnose when things break, are there any decent priced pre-built rigs out there and how do they compare with the pandas?

Re: using mining rigs also as computer workstations - this is a very interesting idea.  I assume you are using Windows and then just have the mining software to auto-start in the background.  How reliable has this been?  Thought about using Windows as the underlying OS and VMWare workstation (or something similar) to run a specific mining distro (that could hopefully see your GPUs) in a minimized window (or possibly hidden in the background - donno if this can be done) which might give a bit more functionality and/or monitoring capability?  Or maybe use a Docker container if there is one built for GPU mining?  Might take a bit more resources (RAM/CPU).

Any issues with people complaining about the noise of the GPUs or as long as they are underneath the desk the noise is bearable and people get used to it?  What about the heat?  In the winter the workstation could be used as a person's own personal space heater.

I'm thinking something like offering a free computers to a small business as long as they pay for the electricity and keep the computer on 24x7 and connected to the Internet.  Wish I owned a small business so I could do something like this to my employees workstations.

Always interested in the multi-use ability of using miners for various purposes other than mining.  ie. waste heat used to help with the distillation process of making liquor.
https://news.bitcoin.com/south-florida-distillers-bitcoin/

I work at a college and my co-workers are constantly replacing Dell computers.  Don't know if the college would go for building mining rigs that could also be used as a workstation, although the dual use and the ability for the mining on the workstation to pay for the cost of the workstation (and maybe even generate a profit) over the life of the computer is interesting.  If Dell came out with a dual use workstation - mining and general office use, that would be interesting.  Use the first year for mining to pay off the equipment cost and the following years for profit and/or saving for GPU upgrades and/or eventual workstation replacement cost....Although, we have been shifting away from desktops towards laptops.  Not sure what the ratio of desktops/laptops is, but probably at least 50:50.

thoughts?

darkshad

Activity: 53

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 02:57:26 PM

Re: using mining rigs also as computer workstations

If one were to test this idea out, is there anyone selling a pre-built for dual use purposes (mining/office work), or would one have to build it themselves?  Building a rig wouldn't too hard, but having rig that has already been tested, has quality components, and a company behind it would be better.

Some quick googling, looks like there are docker GPU miner containers out there.
topgeek

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 03:04:24 PM

Keep in mind the reason every AMD video card is sold out right now is because EVERYONE is building rigs.
Therefore the difficulty is going up and the profits are going to be going down as all the new rigs come online.
Over a 25% increase in the past month.

Be sure to include this in your calculations.

If ETH goes back to the price it was 2 months ago - you'll be able to buy lots of mining rigs cheap - because they won't be able to make money Smiley

...AND

Ethereum is going to switch to POS (no more mining) which is going to have a huge impact on every coin as all that mining power needs to find something else to mine.
topgeek

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 03:10:04 PM

Mining an older algo;  with 5x 1080 and 1x 1070;  over 1K/mo in earnings.  thats not chump change in comparison..  better wattage/hash ratio too.

What hashrate are your individual 1080's getting?
Which miner are you using?

cheers,
Ed
Macadonian

Activity: 467
Merit: 578

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 04:49:11 PM

That is right for the used cards and if the price of coins drop, ROI will be much longer.
VyprBTC

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 05:02:23 PM

see for yourself:

What miner are you using to get that that's pretty impressive
zer0k

Activity: 349

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2017, 05:07:02 PM

It really all depends on the price of the alt coins staying strong Smiley

This is just 2 x 1080ti's, and is constantly fluctuating with coin prices and profiability etc.

Vaccinus

Activity: 406

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 05:19:43 PM

This is just 2 x 1080ti's, and is constantly fluctuating with coin prices and profiability etc.

the 1080ti is very good at skein almost double of one 1070 but don't consume double the wattage, so very efficient, what are the speed for bitcoin core, the new coin with timetravel10?

zer0k

Activity: 349

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2017, 05:28:42 PM

the 1080ti is very good at skein almost double of one 1070 but don't consume double the wattage, so very efficient, what are the speed for bitcoin core, the new coin with timetravel10?

If you mean Bitcore then I get ~26.5 MH/s per card

Gunntha

Activity: 42

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 07:25:41 PM

with a electricty cost of 0.16$, wich is really high for a european country (france) ...

Shocked

You lucky guy! In germany it´s 0,32$ ... I am still mining but I don´t earn a lot.
VoskCoin

Activity: 1414
Merit: 487

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2017, 10:02:12 PM

Are there any writeups for setting up a 1080ti rig?

Check out my Crypto YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/VoskCoin
If you enjoy my content click Subscribe
JaredKaragen
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2017, 10:16:16 PM

see for yourself:

What miner are you using to get that that's pretty impressive

Its all shown on the wallet page.   skein primarily mined using ccminerAlexis78.

I don't follow the heard;  I do my own research and It lead me here....   before that, I was on Lyra2V2, but its profitability took a dive, and was not near as consistent as skein.

I havent tested timetravel myself yet.  Kinda been very happy with what works, on top of the fact that coins like DGB and AUR are jumping in the markets.... so why leave the profitable algo??? lol

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

ApexEvo

Activity: 280

🌟 æternity🌟 blockchain🌟

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 10:29:05 PM

OP after a quick(and pretty rough) calculation I think for about $4000-6000 you can make yourself 3-4 rigs which will net you about $400-$500 in total every month. Now if you could work something out to pay less for power you'd be swimming in money. These new electricity meters are often checked wirelessly and can also have their settings changed this way, without need of opening it up and breaking the seal or whatever. Just a thought Cheesy

▄▄▄▄▄               ▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄        ▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄██▀        ▀██▄    ▄██▀         ▀█▄
██▀            ▀██▄  ▀▀             ██
██               ▀██        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
██                ▀██▄      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
 ██▄          ▄██   ▀██▄          ▄▄▄
  ▀██▄      ▄██▀      ▀██▄▄     ▄██▀
    ▀▀██████▀▀          ▀▀██████▀▀

Unchained Smart Contracts
Decentralized Oracle
Infinitly Scalable